Walt Disney Pictures | Release Date: November 8, 2013
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 1110 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
cell989Nov 8, 2013
Thor 2 is a huge improvement over Thor 1. Everything about this movie excelled my expectations, The action is truly epic, its a lot more brutal and darker. the Villain was done properly!! finally Marvel!! Malekeith is brutal, heartless, and aThor 2 is a huge improvement over Thor 1. Everything about this movie excelled my expectations, The action is truly epic, its a lot more brutal and darker. the Villain was done properly!! finally Marvel!! Malekeith is brutal, heartless, and a force to be reckon with, his personal bodyguard gave Thor some much needed challenge. Loki is brilliant as always, the movie rarely slows down and the action has a great pace, it has some cheesy moments with awkward humor, but does not distract from the overall experience. Thor uses all his powers and the effects are superb. DO NOT MISS THE BEGINNING CREDITS AND THE POST CREDITS SCENES.

PS: dat shape shifting cameo, genius
RedeadhoodMar 28, 2016
This movie is terrible, I am really unable to understand how anyone likes this. From the antagonist to the main lead (they should've cast a slice of bread instead and still no one would've noticed), this isn't even half the movie that theThis movie is terrible, I am really unable to understand how anyone likes this. From the antagonist to the main lead (they should've cast a slice of bread instead and still no one would've noticed), this isn't even half the movie that the first one was (which I actually liked). The movie is boring and really shows how overrated the marvel brand name has become. Expand
OrangeknockoutNov 9, 2013
i guess this movie being bad or good completely depends on the person's opinion on the matter because it looks like everyone seemed to enjoy this movie; i for one disliked it; why you ask? because this movie failed to excite me or keep me oni guess this movie being bad or good completely depends on the person's opinion on the matter because it looks like everyone seemed to enjoy this movie; i for one disliked it; why you ask? because this movie failed to excite me or keep me on the edge of my seat; thor tries so hard to be intense, epic, and funny and the same time! what thor fails to realize though is that if you try to be funny then you ruin the intensity of the action youre trying to aim for; the epicness was cobbled down by all these comedic one liners the cast shouts out every 5 minutes; thats fine and all if youre trying to be a funny movie; but this movie is trying to get you worried about villians trying to take over the galaxy but when youre laughing the whole time, the worryment tends to fade away; case in point, this movie didnt know what it was trying to be; the movie spouts off in all sorts of different directions and fails to establish itself strongly in a style

case in point, this movie failed to excite me, the villains were forgettable, the plot was uninteresting due to lack of explanation of whats going on; lack of character developement, lack of acting and attachment to the characters,this movie has so much going wrong with it

the only thing keeping me from giving this movie a 0 was the CG effects and thor's brother; thor's brother was like the only character that stood out from the rest; he carried a persona and executed it well through his style
grandpajoe6191Aug 14, 2015
Just like its boring predecessor, "Thor: The Dark World" is filled with heavy-handed sub-par action, dialogue, and performances. Probably the weakest series in the Marvel universe by far.
StriderKiwiNov 11, 2013
Liked the first one even with it's somewhat lackluster second half but Thor 2 isn't very impressive. The majority of the movie is people talking most of the dialogue isn't really engaging nor important. The scenes with Loki are the highlightLiked the first one even with it's somewhat lackluster second half but Thor 2 isn't very impressive. The majority of the movie is people talking most of the dialogue isn't really engaging nor important. The scenes with Loki are the highlight as is the last fightscene but everything else is pretty bland. The rest of the fightscenes are boring and the while the villain, Maliketh is very intimidating, he along with most of the movie is pretty generic. Save your money for Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past and Avengers 2. Expand
raviopatraNov 27, 2013
For me, the first movie was more enjoyable. The Dark World has potentials but failed to deliver a convincing act and dialogue. The jokes are often on-point, but some are too much. The production is also a little bit all over the place and IFor me, the first movie was more enjoyable. The Dark World has potentials but failed to deliver a convincing act and dialogue. The jokes are often on-point, but some are too much. The production is also a little bit all over the place and I can't really enjoy the one and a half hour spent seeing the whole movie. It did entertain me, but not to the point where I'd happily give out at least a 7 or an 8. Expand
fab792Dec 2, 2013
Seen it yesterday very poor movie ,plot and very poor actor I sometimes enjoyed some scenes especially the big battles and thor sequences but that's it you will forget this movie very soon
LetoAtreides82Nov 10, 2013
Big improvement in every way over the first one but not perfect yet. The one thing I felt could definitely be improved on are the battles, I felt they were rather lackluster, especially the final battle. The soundtrack, the story, theBig improvement in every way over the first one but not perfect yet. The one thing I felt could definitely be improved on are the battles, I felt they were rather lackluster, especially the final battle. The soundtrack, the story, the settings, and the costumes were very impressive, and this movie is much funnier than the first one but in a good way, the humor doesn't distract from the seriousness of the situation and helps keep the audience awake. Expand
lasttimeisawNov 11, 2013
A crammed cinema-going for the weekend is a belated diversion since not too much going on for the past month in the burgeoning Chinese market. The chapter one THOR (2011, 5/10) and the mega-amalgam THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10) didn’t lure meA crammed cinema-going for the weekend is a belated diversion since not too much going on for the past month in the burgeoning Chinese market. The chapter one THOR (2011, 5/10) and the mega-amalgam THE AVENGERS (2012, 5/10) didn’t lure me into Thor’s fan base, but this sequel does boost the franchise’s morals by further intermingling the epic apocalypse between the vast Gods’ realm and the puny but ego-maniacal earth, saw it in its over-charged 3D version (nearly impossible to find a 2D screening nearby), THOR: THE DARK WORLD is a massive crowd-pleaser, terrific art production and the trappings of a Marvel vehicle, shrewdly fictionalizes the love-and-hatred bromance between Thor and Loki, which is much hyped as the dominant draw for this action-packed escapade.

There is darkness before the birth of the universe, so as to against the plot of Malekith (Eccleston) to utilize an amorphous weapon called Aether to set the universe back into pitch-blackness, Thor (Hemsworth) has to team up with Loki (Hiddleston) to rescue his earth girlfriend Jane (Portman) who has been infected by Aether and being pursed by Malekith and his toadies, notably, a mutated fiend Algrim (Akinnuoye-Agbaje).

Whiling the most entertaining part comes the polarized tenors of the Asgard kingdom and the contemporary earth, one is solemn, majestic, atavistic and Shakespearean (thanks to Kenneth Branagh for setting the tone in THOR 2011) and the other (this time the locale is an overcast London) is glossy, modern, farcical and doomed to be pulverized. The spectacles are generally gratifying and on a par with the earlier IRON MAN 3 (2013, 6/10) to say the least.

Wonderful comic relief from the earthbound trio, Dennings, Skarsgård and Howard plus a surprising cameo by O’Dowd. Hemsworth and Portman are predictably playing the hero and his fearless girlfriend-in-danger default while Hiddleston easily grabs all the attention by influencing meatier character development, more ambiguous in his stance and a timely twist in the end can suffice to ignite fans’ passion to the next installment, or maybe a Loki-based spin-off which will be more intriguing and anti-trend in its own way. By any means it is a solid sequel which inherits the merits from its predecessor and put more verve into its gods vs. mortals contradiction, director Alan Taylor has well handled a hot potato, next step, sit and wait for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014) coming this upcoming April.
starscream97Nov 11, 2013
It has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark WorldIt has to be hard for the people making these phase two movies to make a movie that works as both a sequel to a previous movie, and as a follow-up to the avengers which is exactly the problem that I had with iron man 3. The Dark World however is a perfect example of how that can be done right with a good story, a cool villain (in my opinion), a lot of jokes (maybe a bit to many) and awesome action scenes. The cast is given a bit more to do this time around especially character like Frigga and Heimdall, but the standout here is obviously Loki. My only complaints are that it's a bit too short and the plot doesn't really get going until about halfway in. Still, this is a great movie and a fantastic addition to the MCU. P.S. Remember to stay after the credits! Expand
iamDec 18, 2013
Terribilmente noioso, film blockbuster con poche idee più complicate che complesse, con un cattivo che non fa paura, con una trama prevedibilissima, senza anima e senza emozioni.
Personaggi privi di risvolti psicologici. Da dimenticare il
Personaggi privi di risvolti psicologici. Da dimenticare il prima possibile.
Si spera che Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins faccia altri film in modo da non chiudere la sua carriera cinematografica con questo film.
Saccheggio maldestro di alcuni temi del Signore degli Anelli, film di tutt'altro calibro.
LeZeeFeb 15, 2014
I begin by saying in a simple line, this sequel was just okay for me. I did not find any awesomeness in it or any mind blowing scenes. The first movie was quite interested me because of a new actor, new superhero character and the birth ofI begin by saying in a simple line, this sequel was just okay for me. I did not find any awesomeness in it or any mind blowing scenes. The first movie was quite interested me because of a new actor, new superhero character and the birth of the new franchise from Marvel studio. All together with a mythical Greek character in a modern world, it was something that hit me. Just a few months back, I praised Hemsworth for his best ever performance in the biographical picture 'Rush'. Here he has fallen back to okay kinda performance. The movie was nothing special, but a decent entertainment. Technically, it was rich in visuals with good graphics, no one must dare to doubt it. My problem was the story which followed the usual fantasy movie protocol. One of the disappointment from 2013, completely a commercial purpose behind its creation and production. Yeah, all the movie are but this one is very much visible. So in my opinion, it is one time watch movie.

6.5/10
vpandeNov 9, 2013
To be perfectly honest a lot of the first half of this movie left me lost and not caring to know too much of what was going on, especially as the dark elves and their plans for world/universal destruction seemed more of a requirement ratherTo be perfectly honest a lot of the first half of this movie left me lost and not caring to know too much of what was going on, especially as the dark elves and their plans for world/universal destruction seemed more of a requirement rather than a plot with real motivation behind it.

But all throughout the movie there's plenty of humor, Natalie Portman is a far better superhero love interest than Iron Man's Pepper Potts and when push comes to shove, Thor in action does remind me a lot of Superman (not just because of the cape). That's a personal preference of mine but the character and the movie stand on their own merit mainly because of the second half of the movie where the action is pretty well done and holds your interest.

Not a fan of the shock/twist ending with Loki. Thought the ending would have been better with him left to the fate we all thought he succumbed to.

But still, a good movie and a far better follow up to the first Thor than Iron Man 2 was to the first in that series.
MrEpic012Nov 17, 2013
Better Than The First Thor Due to A Engaging Plot, Fun Characters, Humor, Action, SFX, And More but One Thing I Though Was A Little Eh Is The Shoehorned Side-Plot Of Darcy And Ian (Her Intern).
francisrgoNov 8, 2013
A very fun and high energy movie. Kat Dennings and Tom Hiddleston is what really made the movie. Dennings gave such a great comic relief and glad that she has more presence than the first movie. Hiddleston as Loki is the best casting, I don'tA very fun and high energy movie. Kat Dennings and Tom Hiddleston is what really made the movie. Dennings gave such a great comic relief and glad that she has more presence than the first movie. Hiddleston as Loki is the best casting, I don't really think anyone can do better. Expand
fuulveNov 26, 2013
Thor 2 as second as Second hand. I hope this year is not over I will see probably action movie with an idea or sense! They have shooting a movie which are soulless.
begging your pardon, but I suggest not to see this movie unless you want
begging your pardon, but I suggest not to see this movie unless you want waist your time.
You will see nothing original.
KorgarathNov 12, 2013
I'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour,I'm not sure why the critics reviewed this poorly, maybe I'm missing the point but this movie had everything you'd come to expect from a great Marvel adventure. Great twists, "did that REALLY just happen" moments, fantastic action, humour, top notch visual effects and Asgard looks more impressive than ever. Ok, some of the acting is a little weak in parts but that's more than made up for by the rest. Expand
MasayoshiNov 12, 2013
This movie was extremely well done especially considering it had to live up to its big brother, The Avengers. This movie was way more action packed and comedy filled than the first one. In the beginning it did admittedly seem to drag on butThis movie was extremely well done especially considering it had to live up to its big brother, The Avengers. This movie was way more action packed and comedy filled than the first one. In the beginning it did admittedly seem to drag on but at the 35 minute it began to really hit home. Personally I'm more of a Loki fan myself and anyone agreeing with me does get a fair share of Loki in this movie, supplying lots of comic relief and even some parody! I recommend anyone that enjoys action movies such as The Avengers, Iron Man or even Hulk to to go see Thor right away. Expand
dawen2010Dec 2, 2013
the jokes in it are not funny. The movie starts to get boring from the beginning. I heard the last few scenes are saved by the director of The Avengers, which are the only interesting parts in this movie.
vikesh2206Nov 7, 2014
Derivative as it is, a charismatic cast, witty dialogue and Loki saves Thor: The Dark World from being just a gala of special effects destroying the universe.
DJYepesMay 19, 2015
this movie is awesome, all the thing in this movie are badass, I want more of thor and loki
I give the movie an 9.5 out of 10................. the marvel cinematic universe is awesome
masseyJan 17, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half of the film was very boring and did NOTHING to engage the audience. The film only really picked up just before Loki was broken out of his cell by Thor. Characters (apart from Loki) were bland and extremely boring, Malekith was terrible, the Aether just seemed like another Tesseract, his army were a little too similar to the Chitari for my liking and may as well have just been Storm Troopers and the whole "turning the entire universe into darkness" plot line seemed too cliché.

Special effects were special. What was with the weird colour scheme used and the blurry backgrounds? It looked like something out of 300. Asgard still looked nice.

I enjoyed seeing Loki and Thor team-up but Thor's action sequences on his own weren't that good. The final battle was a little too reminiscent of the IM3 final battle for my liking; Thor jumping into different worlds/Tony jumping into different Iron Man suits.

So, this film is only really good enough because of Loki. If it wasn't for the character and his excellent portrayal by Tom Hiddleston, this film would most likely get a 3/10. If you want to know what happens in the film because you want to catch up with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, just read the plot online and maybe watch a montage of the best Loki moments in the film.
YellowKirbyNov 25, 2015
Okay, so I enjoyed the first Thor film. I thought the way they executed Thor's fish-out-of-water story was very well done, and Tom Hiddleston's Loki was excellent as a villain. but this forced sequel had some enjoyable moments (mainly fromOkay, so I enjoyed the first Thor film. I thought the way they executed Thor's fish-out-of-water story was very well done, and Tom Hiddleston's Loki was excellent as a villain. but this forced sequel had some enjoyable moments (mainly from Loki, again), but also a slightly underdeveloped villain and a strange, confusing premise. Expand
DanBurritoOct 9, 2015
Not quite as good as the first but still enjoyable. Malekith seems to get a lot of hate as a villain but I thought he was pretty cool. There IS a bit too much CGI but it's a superhero movie so what else can you expect? Plus, the movie seesNot quite as good as the first but still enjoyable. Malekith seems to get a lot of hate as a villain but I thought he was pretty cool. There IS a bit too much CGI but it's a superhero movie so what else can you expect? Plus, the movie sees the return of Loki, Marvel's equivalent to the Joker and he's more badass than ever before. There are quite a few laughs to be had as well as thrills plus, a teaser for the best MCU movie ever-Guardians of the Galaxy! I definitely preferred the first but I liked this one anyway. It's fun! Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 4, 2016
Thor: The Dark World is pretty to look at and while enjoyable too, Marvel brings us another Thor movie to pull us out of our seats. I'm like pretty sure the next installment could do a lot better though.
JarodyFeb 11, 2016
Thor: the dark world is the sequel to Thor, and the first Mcu sequel to a character other than iron man. Firstly the action is pretty amazing, as well as the fight scenes. The acting and cast are good, and the comedy was right on point. AsThor: the dark world is the sequel to Thor, and the first Mcu sequel to a character other than iron man. Firstly the action is pretty amazing, as well as the fight scenes. The acting and cast are good, and the comedy was right on point. As well, the character development between Thor and Loki was the highlight of the film. However, this movie has many problems. Firstly the character from the first movie that was annoying, became twice as annoying. Not only that but the over-complicated plot line is very hard to follow and by the end you don't really know what was going on. The villain is yet again boring and underdeveloped and many of the scenes in the film make no sense. Altogether Thor: the dark world is the weakest of the Mcu films and possibly the least important. Expand
pbetoNov 8, 2013
It seem the movie is carried by gags and silly jokes. The final battle is literally mixed in with numerous gags. If that's your thing, then you will surely enjoy it. But I wonder what this movie would've been like if the plot and villainIt seem the movie is carried by gags and silly jokes. The final battle is literally mixed in with numerous gags. If that's your thing, then you will surely enjoy it. But I wonder what this movie would've been like if the plot and villain were to fleshed out better, with better motivation, and dramatic moments were left comedy free. Oh well. Expand
mgastrykerNov 8, 2013
This movie was amazing. The scale of the worlds was immense and the effects were amazing. The plot was also fantastic. Loki, as always, steals the show. But to be honest, the best part of the movie was the after credits scene. SPOILER ALERT:This movie was amazing. The scale of the worlds was immense and the effects were amazing. The plot was also fantastic. Loki, as always, steals the show. But to be honest, the best part of the movie was the after credits scene. SPOILER ALERT: It contains a reference to the infinity stones, referring to the tesseract and the aether as two of the six. If you're a Marvel fan, then you'll be as giddy as a little school girl. Expand
ZohairyNov 15, 2013
I don't know why the movie was critiqued so harshly, but the movie was amazing. It was very funny, emotional at times, and had epic action sequences; I had blast watching it.
Swagg23Nov 9, 2013
I loved Thor 2 and so did the rest of my family it had some very very funny moments,Loki's scenes were all brilliant and the acting throughout was top notch and make sure you stay for the after credits scene!!! It sets up for the next filmsI loved Thor 2 and so did the rest of my family it had some very very funny moments,Loki's scenes were all brilliant and the acting throughout was top notch and make sure you stay for the after credits scene!!! It sets up for the next films perfectly and I can't wait for the next marvel movies! Make mine marvel!:) Expand
Max142Nov 9, 2013
Went to see this with my family and we all absolutely loved it. My Dad is not a fan of superhero movies but he really enjoyed this and was totally surprised and pleased with the incredible quality and intelligence of it.

Has a perfect

Has a perfect balance of action and intelligent dialogue, the serious with humour, the celestial with family. A wonderful addition to the Marvel film universe and my favourite so far. A must see for anyone who wants to see a quality film you can watch and enjoy again and again.

You can really tell just how much hard work and effort has been put into this film to make it the best it can be thought the whole of the film. The story is gripping and well told, the dialogue in every scene whether serious or funny is wonderful, the acting is superb, all the characters are interesting, believable and compelling. The locations and are just stunning!

I can not praise this film enough, a must see film!!!
victorhjklNov 17, 2013
Thor 2 is easy to forget, with a predictable story and character not so charismatic. Sometimes can be a little bit boring, but have some good action scenes.
KaamiiNov 8, 2013
Thor 2 is a massive improvement over Thor. be It the Story Acting Action or even the Direction the Highlight of the Movie is the Chemistry Between Thor n Loki. Loved the Scenes between Loki n His Mom. the Movie is Action Packed. It hasThor 2 is a massive improvement over Thor. be It the Story Acting Action or even the Direction the Highlight of the Movie is the Chemistry Between Thor n Loki. Loved the Scenes between Loki n His Mom. the Movie is Action Packed. It has enough Humor n Seriousness packed in this one.
The only Flaw is that the Movie starts a bit Slow. Better than expected 9/10
Mando44646Nov 19, 2013
Thor 2 is possibly the best MCU movie aside from Avengers itself (possibly tied with Iron Man 1). It is a fantastic solo movie that focuses on Thor and Asgard while also allowing for the existence of the rest of the MCU, unlike Iron Man 3Thor 2 is possibly the best MCU movie aside from Avengers itself (possibly tied with Iron Man 1). It is a fantastic solo movie that focuses on Thor and Asgard while also allowing for the existence of the rest of the MCU, unlike Iron Man 3 where everything else was ignored as if it did not exist. Expand
norseNov 24, 2013
A fantastically great movie. If you've seen the original Thor, don't despair, this one's way better. If you liked the Avengers, this one topped it in my opinion phenomenal graphics and score, a great ensemble of characters, Loki (ye oldA fantastically great movie. If you've seen the original Thor, don't despair, this one's way better. If you liked the Avengers, this one topped it in my opinion phenomenal graphics and score, a great ensemble of characters, Loki (ye old norse gods, I love Loki!), smart dialog and the highest praise I personally can accord a movie internal logical consistency. Fine storytelling, some real puzzlers left for continuity, but no extreme and clumsy cliffhangering. I'd go see it again right now if I could. Go spoil yourselves, this is the movie to see this day and month... Expand
BillySpandexNov 15, 2013
I found Thor: The Dark World to be a huge improvement over the first movie. Malekith is a believable villain, and he looks the part. But the real star in this film has to be Loki. Absolutely brilliant film and one of Marvel's better superhero flicks.
ThegodfathersonNov 8, 2013
Tonight, not even the gods are safe as Thor: The Dark World debuts in theaters. The second chapter (third if you count Avengers) of Thor’s story, The Dark World is by no means a perfect movie, but it really doesn’t need to be: It’sTonight, not even the gods are safe as Thor: The Dark World debuts in theaters. The second chapter (third if you count Avengers) of Thor’s story, The Dark World is by no means a perfect movie, but it really doesn’t need to be: It’s tremendously fun and eminently worthwhile, warts and all. If you’re already a Thor fan courtesy of either the comics or the first film, it’s a safe bet that you’ll enjoy The Dark World. Thor, at its best, has always blended epic gravitas with humor, so prepare to laugh a lot. It’s a tradition that The Dark World embraces enthusiastically, from the awkward culture clash of inserting a Norse god into modern America to an epic battle that plays out like a mix between a boss level from the video game Portal and a Dungeons & Dragons teleport puzzle, and even an unexpected Chris Evans cameo as Captain America (sort of). The silver lining, of course, is more Loki. Tom Hiddleston is justifiably the break-out star of the last several years of Marvel movies, and his performance as the embittered trickster god in The Dark World is his best yet. We saw Loki begin to fray in Thor and unravel across Avengers; now, returned to Asgard and incarcerated for what is meant to be eternity, he clings to arrogant indifference over a profound pathos that surfaces only during a visit from an illusory projection of Frigga though whether she’s a projection of Loki’s actual adopted mother or a figment of his own conjuring is never clear. As this is a Marvel movie, you probably already know to stick around through the credits for a bonus scene. The Dark World has not one but two stingers the first after the film ends, and the second after the credits finish rolling and it’s worth sticking around for both of them. If you’re a long-time comic reader, the second’s got a cameo on par with the reveal of the villain Thanos after Avengers. Thor: The Dark World may be a bumpy ride, but it gets its hero where he needs to go from Prince of Asgard to hero of Earth with grace, humor, and a lot of heart. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t have to be: It’s awesome. Expand
PStakhivNov 10, 2013
Even if Thor 2 is not as god as the first one, it still one of the most entertaining movie of the year. Spectacular visuals and engrossing action mixed with mediocre plot and week villains.
tumnciprianoNov 11, 2013
Spectacular! Marvel once again shows its power in a flawless blockbuster, has everything a good movie entertainment can introduce ourselves. The timing between actors and good script is the highlight of the film. And exploration of AsgardSpectacular! Marvel once again shows its power in a flawless blockbuster, has everything a good movie entertainment can introduce ourselves. The timing between actors and good script is the highlight of the film. And exploration of Asgard gave a special glow on the screen. Expand
eagleeyevikingNov 28, 2013
homerbaldmanNov 8, 2013
Very entertaining. Lots of good action and decent effects. Don't expect much from the 3D, in that respect it was rather disappointing. But that money-making gimmick aside, it was a rousing effort. I've heard some complain about the lack ofVery entertaining. Lots of good action and decent effects. Don't expect much from the 3D, in that respect it was rather disappointing. But that money-making gimmick aside, it was a rousing effort. I've heard some complain about the lack of depth in the movie's villain, and a plot that didn't score high marks in the complexity department. I think most of us knew we weren't watching "Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy". I think the movie could have benefited from a brief crossover with another superhero, but that aside, I definitely give it one hammer up. Expand
RedDead94Nov 8, 2013
The first Thor movie was good but the problem i had with that movie was that we barely saw Thor in action. So i was hopping Thor 2 would show more of Thor in action. And it did! Very action packed movie, good humor, dialog between Thor andThe first Thor movie was good but the problem i had with that movie was that we barely saw Thor in action. So i was hopping Thor 2 would show more of Thor in action. And it did! Very action packed movie, good humor, dialog between Thor and Looki is excellent and the ending is awesome!! Expand
sciontc1Nov 8, 2013
Thor: The Dark World is packed with brilliant dialogue and humour throughout. The story itself expands greatly on the various characters previously met along with introducing a couple new ones. A brilliant film and a must watch to anyone whoThor: The Dark World is packed with brilliant dialogue and humour throughout. The story itself expands greatly on the various characters previously met along with introducing a couple new ones. A brilliant film and a must watch to anyone who enjoyed the first film. Expand
philventerNov 9, 2013
Thor: The Dark World is a step up from the first one! I might be of the very few who enjoyed the first film and the sequel surely delivers more action. Though the storyline is a bit complicated and with a post credits scene that will leaveThor: The Dark World is a step up from the first one! I might be of the very few who enjoyed the first film and the sequel surely delivers more action. Though the storyline is a bit complicated and with a post credits scene that will leave people scratching their heads, it's still great fun to watch. Lots of laughs throughout the movie and a twist here and there. The acting is top notch, especially from Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Another great outing for Marvel at the movies. Expand
BikerjamesNov 12, 2013
I guess this was the "Empire Strikes Back" edition of the Thor franchise due to the death scene and the twist ending. The movie started out poorly with one of the worse battle scenes I've seen for awhile, but when the bad guy comes back theI guess this was the "Empire Strikes Back" edition of the Thor franchise due to the death scene and the twist ending. The movie started out poorly with one of the worse battle scenes I've seen for awhile, but when the bad guy comes back the film finally gets its groove. The humor, or attempted humor generally comes from the Character Darcy, played by Kat Dennings, who is the assistant of the Natalie Portman character. I found her to be somewhat annoying rather than funny, and she certainly does not act like a normal person in dire situations. Still, the overall look of the film is excellent and once the film got into second gear I never got bored. Expand
R6exNov 24, 2013
Can't understand the critics. This is a very entertaining movie. Load of actions, stunning CGI effects, plot twists galore and funny moments. Can't ask for much more, except maybe Natalie Portman could act with more feelings. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
hollyvNov 25, 2013
It's fun like a really well done comic book. Renee Russo and Kat Dennings really made this movie fun. Now, if you could just somehow get Tom Hiddleston’s (Loki) acting talent into Chris Hemsworth's (Thor) body? THAT would be super!
Bruce722Nov 11, 2013
Thor: The Dark World is definitely one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The cast, led by Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, did a great job once again. Supporting actors Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander,Thor: The Dark World is definitely one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. The cast, led by Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman, did a great job once again. Supporting actors Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Jaimie Alexander, Anthony Hopkins, and so many more really are amazing. I've heard a lot of complaints about the pace being too quick and difficult to keep up with. My response? Don't take stupid people to see the movie. I honestly don't see how anyone would have trouble keeping up with the pace of the film. I thought the plot development was actually one of the stronger parts of the film. Another strong element was the humor. Like the first installment, there was a lot of situational humor. However, this movie took it to an entirely new level and didn't feel forced and out of place. Most of this is thanks to the aforementioned Kat Dennings and her unique comedic flair. Also, watch for the Captain America cameo for maybe the most humorous scene in the film. The action sequences were up to par with the rest of the movies, meaning they were epic. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The only negative in the movie, and I'm really not sure if it's a fair one, is that I wanted more Lady Sif. I'm sorry but you have one of the most beautiful women in the world, who happens to be a fantastic actress, playing one of the most badass and intriguing roles in the movie and she's barely even relevant? You've gotta do better than that. Supposedly she originally had a more prominent role even creating somewhat of a love triangle but the studio ultimately decided to trim that back, essentially eliminating a large chunk of her screen time. After some thought I decided it didn't really "hurt" the film so I won't let it affect the rating but I would've liked liked to see her more. Hopefully we'll get that in the special features when it releases on blu-ray. Overall, I'd say this is probably the third best Avengers film yet, behind Iron Man and The Avengers. Hopefully they continue to deliver because they've got one helluva series going. Expand
ToffenuffNov 21, 2013
Acting is great as usual. The dialogue is decent (Thor & Loki lines were awesome) though a bunch of the funny scenes/gags and lines seemed very forced and fell flat among the audience at the sold-out IMAX theater where I watched this film,Acting is great as usual. The dialogue is decent (Thor & Loki lines were awesome) though a bunch of the funny scenes/gags and lines seemed very forced and fell flat among the audience at the sold-out IMAX theater where I watched this film, but it does for the most part retain the humor that's prevalent in all the Marvel films. The overall action is decent, but only a couple of scenes really impressed me that said there IS more action in this one than the last so that's a plus. Unsurprisingly, the special effects and the music score are fantastic and I'd say this film is worth seeing in IMAX. The plot on the other hand... well it seemed like it could've been improved more. That being said I did enjoy this movie and would recommend it if you like any of the other Marvel movies and if you liked the first Thor. Expand
BrianMcCriticNov 15, 2013
This is a real solid superhero film and an overall better film than the first. To me Thor has been the toughest of the superhero's to get on board with mainly because the villains besides Loki are just not that interesting, but seeing moreThis is a real solid superhero film and an overall better film than the first. To me Thor has been the toughest of the superhero's to get on board with mainly because the villains besides Loki are just not that interesting, but seeing more of Thor in action with a real good script made for a pleasant surprise. B+ Expand
SenshudoTVNov 11, 2013
After The Avengers we wanted something great, and what directory Alan Taylor shoots is a combination of action and comedy all into a sequence mixed with a little bit of awesomeness. Making Thor: The Dark World the next best installment intoAfter The Avengers we wanted something great, and what directory Alan Taylor shoots is a combination of action and comedy all into a sequence mixed with a little bit of awesomeness. Making Thor: The Dark World the next best installment into the Marvel universe mean while teasing us for the next installment. We want more! Expand
RevRonNov 12, 2013
I loved the first film and have been impressed to no end with the undertaking that Marvel Studios has taken with their shared cinematic universe. "Thor: The Dark World" is exciting, dramatic and, most of all, very funny. Once again ChrisI loved the first film and have been impressed to no end with the undertaking that Marvel Studios has taken with their shared cinematic universe. "Thor: The Dark World" is exciting, dramatic and, most of all, very funny. Once again Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston prove that they were born to play Thor and Loki and Christopher Eccleston shows that he can make it as a dark, foreboding villain in the Marvel universe as Malekith. From start to finish, I feel this sequel out-did the first movie and showed us exactly how comic book adaptations are suppose to be: Fun, action pack and full of larger than life characters. Expand
BlackAlienNov 10, 2013
Marvel was right. Marvel was right every time. No one knows how to make a movie with a marvel super hero like Marvel. This movie is awesome, epic and totally right. Chris Hemsworth is amazing. Tom Hiddleston is the better God ever. NatalieMarvel was right. Marvel was right every time. No one knows how to make a movie with a marvel super hero like Marvel. This movie is awesome, epic and totally right. Chris Hemsworth is amazing. Tom Hiddleston is the better God ever. Natalie Portman keeps wonderful and beatiful. I would like to marry this woman. PERFECT MOVIE. Expand
togefreeNov 11, 2013
great movie not as good as 1st but better than iron man 3 the villain was kinda but loki was amazing comedy was good but kat dennings was really annoying
ArchebiusNov 17, 2013
Thor: The Dark World is not going to win any Oscars. But it's a solid movie it builds well, Thor seems human for the first time, and the supporting cast is excellent. The pacing has been criticized, and I will admit that it's a slow build,Thor: The Dark World is not going to win any Oscars. But it's a solid movie it builds well, Thor seems human for the first time, and the supporting cast is excellent. The pacing has been criticized, and I will admit that it's a slow build, but I can't think of any scenes I would have cut out.

Ultimately, it manages to be about more than explosions and set piece battles, and rises above Thor 1, Iron Man 2 and 3, the Avengers, and certainly the last two Superman flicks to be one of the better comic book movies I've seen.

Does it reach the heights of the new Batman movies? No. But it's sincere, and fun, and you'll walk out of the theater feeling good. And so far this year, that's been a rarity.
lokipumpkinNov 11, 2013
Having read some bad reviews, I wasn't expecting much. But the film surprised me; it was funny and touching and emotionally engaging, without going for the overblown melodrama that it sometimes threatened to sink into. The action here isHaving read some bad reviews, I wasn't expecting much. But the film surprised me; it was funny and touching and emotionally engaging, without going for the overblown melodrama that it sometimes threatened to sink into. The action here is darker Odin is crueler, Loki is angrier and more bitter, Thor too has difficulty accepting the mantle of kingship he is told to take up. The pace is a constant, only pausing to breathe when Darcy (who, despite what some said, was near-perfect) or Ian the Intern had a Moment, or for moments of comedy that made the audience in my cinema laugh aloud. Loki and Thor, however, remain the fulcrum on which the whole film rests, and they do not disappoint. Loki sidles and wheedles and bites out sarcastic remarks, and Thor counters them as naturally as the brother he would to regain spits back. Malekith was brooding and serious (couldn't miss the nose, though) enough to fall the right side of "camp superhero villain".
I was very, very impressed.
ImastormtrooperNov 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this movie. It's Thor!! I love The Avengers and Thor is definitely one of my favorites. I also love Iron Man.

It starts when Loki is being put int he Asgard prison and Thor is in one of the nine realms fighting the dark elves. They are scary. Then on Earth Jane Foster finds the Aether and it goes inside her but this is what the dark elves need to destroy everything. It takes her to another place and Hemidall couldn't see her anymore so Thor got worried and went against his dad and came back to Earth to see her. He saw she was sick and took her back to Asgard to fix her. Thor's father is the king and he thinks that it was a bad idea to bring her there. The elves show up on Asgard to get the Aether back and start a big fight with all the people on Asgard. It is a bad fight and during the fight Thor loses his mother. I was very sad that his mother died. She was really nice to Jane and was a good fighter. Thor is mad and comes up with a plan to trick the elves and talks with his trusted friends. He then gets Loki out of prison. There was a funny part when Loki was walking with Thor and turned into Captain America. I liked that. Then they take Jane back to the dark elves planet. Thor and Loki get into a huge fight. I was really upset at first when Loki and Thor were fighting on the dark planet, and then Loki chopped off Thor's hand. I was mad at Loki. But then it turns out to be an illusion and then I was better. But then during the fight Loki get killed and Thor gets very mad. Thor takes Jane into a cave and Jane suddenly gets a phone call from the guy she had dinner with. Jane figures out how to get back to Earth and she and Thor go back and meet up with Dr. Erik Selvig, Darcy, the intern, and the elves that they fight. The big fight was cool and things kept disappearing and appearing. It was a huge war and Thor wins! Thor decided to give up being a king because he really loves Jane and then something happens but my mom said I'm not allowed to tell it.

If you watch the scene carefully the guard from Asgard that is on the dark planet has a strange green glow and it means something but I'm not supposed to tell you it's about Loki. There is also a part when Thor has his shirt off and I think everyone watching liked that part. There is also more after the credits start so stay and watch those.

My favorite characters were Thor and Loki.
VGamerNov 18, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thor: The Dark World is a sequel that it's prequel is truly not worthy of. This movie is very entertaining, and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time! The only downside towards the movie was the attack scene on Asgard in the climax of the movie involving the Dark Elves and their spaceships. That one scene left such a bad taste in my mouth that I thought that the rest of the movie would be as bad, but it's not. This movie is one of the very few movies that can actually surprise me with it's story, and it went ahead to do so several time. There's plenty of humor, but it's appropriate for such a movie. A must-watch! Expand
HeartanalogNov 24, 2013
What? There was a Thor 1 and 2? No way. What there was a Star Wars 1, 2, and a 3? Crazy world. Whatever bring on Guardians of the Galaxy. Dark world is a great addition to the tapestry that Marvel has been building with Disney money. There isWhat? There was a Thor 1 and 2? No way. What there was a Star Wars 1, 2, and a 3? Crazy world. Whatever bring on Guardians of the Galaxy. Dark world is a great addition to the tapestry that Marvel has been building with Disney money. There is that enough words? Expand
filmfan1990Nov 8, 2013
Sadly, this is not improvement over the middling Thor. The effects and action sequence are a step up, but the movie is weighed down by a poorly constructed story, a definitively unforgettable villain and a simple lack of humanity. There isSadly, this is not improvement over the middling Thor. The effects and action sequence are a step up, but the movie is weighed down by a poorly constructed story, a definitively unforgettable villain and a simple lack of humanity. There is little to no reason to care for the citizenry of Asgard, the way we would our own planet. This reeks of a production by committee; it is clear Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon stepped in to wrestle control from Alan Taylor in the editing room to serve the grander purposes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The result? A neutered Taylor production and the worst superhero movie since Green Lantern. Expand
crazibizaDec 2, 2013
This film is like all the Marvel movies, without emotion, without the stress and child silly comedy. Personally, it's a mediocre crap like Iron Man 3. Lousy.
emirbudDec 12, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me tell you something about me. I'm a big fan of superhero movies, despite the fact they are all bad and dumb. You cannot make them smart, it is extremely difficult to come up with a good story for these types of movies that the audience may relate to. It's superheroes, it's just not believable, and the people making these movies are bound by Hollywood formulas and bunch of other constraints, and they feel like they are exempt from creating a good story since they have all those special effects. However, I like them because with today's technology they can put pretty much what ever they like on the screen. There is no limit to special effects. So, they are dumb, but they are spectacular and enjoyable. There were a couple of them though that I couldn't abide, that were so insanely stupid and poorly written, you just could not forgive. The latest one like that was the last Batman movie that abomination with Bane. Well, the latest one prior to this movie!!! I think they killed the whole genre for me with this one. I simply never want to see another superhero movie again, ever! This movie is so dry, uninteresting, dumb, boring, I was actually playing solitaire on my phone for good portions of the movie. Now I realize I should have been playing throughout the screening. I feel bad for the cast wrecking their careers with this one. Here's just one piece of spoiler for you: The villain trying to destroy the universe was defeated with the help of Nintendo. They couldn't have done it without it. Thor is dumber than ever. He's just clueless, but still wiser than Odin, who turns dumber than Thor in part one. Not that there's anything interesting going on they might be aware of. Heimdall can't see sh.., the warriors three are quite... Listen, all characters are simply redundant, and the movie would be better off just showing the stars and skyline of London for two hours. You have been warned. Expand
SurtNov 9, 2013
Better than the first. It achieved what this movie was suppose to achieve. A comic book come to life on the big screen. I see a lot of preening from critics about the plot, and lack of human involvement other then fillers, but what why areBetter than the first. It achieved what this movie was suppose to achieve. A comic book come to life on the big screen. I see a lot of preening from critics about the plot, and lack of human involvement other then fillers, but what why are watching a marvel movie.

You want a story about the human condition, or struggle? watch one of those indie slop fests. You can cry and then go out and protest about something. I didn't go to see this movie, like transformers nor say a jason vorhees movie to see if the daft people live, or survive, or what struggles they have. I showed up to see the stars of those movies shine.

Your favorite comic on the big screen. Nuff said. Enjoyed it more then that snooze fest man of steel.
cheeseberger11Nov 10, 2013
This movie was way better than it's predecessor. The plot was much more complex and developed. The action was good and the movie stayed somewhat unpredictable. Loki's part in the film was well put together and was significant. Jane FosterThis movie was way better than it's predecessor. The plot was much more complex and developed. The action was good and the movie stayed somewhat unpredictable. Loki's part in the film was well put together and was significant. Jane Foster didn't seem as out of place in this one however it was definitely not perfect. The "bad guy" was kinda boring cause we didn't get to learn much about him. The movie had clever lines that made you crack a smile but nothing outrageously funny. Expand
FeroxNumenNov 8, 2013
Thor: The Dark World was a movie full of potential which was held down by the mediocrity of the CG and explosions-minded Marvel Studios. It was an action fest that wad bound together by a poorly-thought out plot and a hand full of one-liners.Thor: The Dark World was a movie full of potential which was held down by the mediocrity of the CG and explosions-minded Marvel Studios. It was an action fest that wad bound together by a poorly-thought out plot and a hand full of one-liners. The villain was easily forgettable, and the heroes remain static as always. The movie also only gets worse as you consider it in terms of sharing a reality with Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America and yet none of them decide to show up for the final battle to help save the earth from yet another extra-terrestrial invasion. Expand
SpangleNov 29, 2013
Really good movie. I preferred it to the first Thor for sure. Honestly, I think this is one of the better superhero movies I have seen. Tom Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki, as were Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in their roles. Overall,Really good movie. I preferred it to the first Thor for sure. Honestly, I think this is one of the better superhero movies I have seen. Tom Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki, as were Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in their roles. Overall, a really well acted and well directed sequel that really does a good job moving the series forward. Also, it was extremely funny, which was unexpected. Expand
SimpleMethodNov 10, 2013
It's actually a considerable improvement over the original. I liked it quite a bit. The acting and plot were much more solid, and the writing was cohesive this time around. Thor is really not as interesting as the other Avengers, but thisIt's actually a considerable improvement over the original. I liked it quite a bit. The acting and plot were much more solid, and the writing was cohesive this time around. Thor is really not as interesting as the other Avengers, but this isn't terrible. Expand
ilikethreeNov 10, 2013
I would say I definitely liked this movie better than the first one. The villain was nothing special, but everything else was great. Eric Selvig and Loki were both hilarious.
JC86Dec 5, 2013
Coming from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the superComing from someone who didn't enjoy the first Thor film I think Thor: The Dark World is a huge step up. I wanted more Asgard (delivered). Natalie Portman has become a little unnecessary I don't know why Marvel seems to think all of the super heroes need a love interest just because they're now making movies but I found her kind of annoying. Also, can Loki get his own movie? Tom Hiddleston is absolutely killing it!!! It's going to be fun to continue to see Thor develop and it's going to be even more fun to see what Loki does to spoil it. Expand
titowayneDec 4, 2013
Too bad, there are actually no more action Comedy emosión and nothing like all Marvel movies. A disaster of all, this is for those who criticize Man Of Steel.
ThePeebsNov 9, 2013
I was astonished by how much I enjoyed this movie. The first Thor movie was my least favorite of all the phase one "origin" movies, so I went into this expecting more of the same. I was so wrong! Between the jokes (and there were a lot ofI was astonished by how much I enjoyed this movie. The first Thor movie was my least favorite of all the phase one "origin" movies, so I went into this expecting more of the same. I was so wrong! Between the jokes (and there were a lot of them) and the action, I was hooked throughout the entire movie. Of course there were some cheesy lines here and there, but that's expected in a Marvel movie. Thor 2 ranks as my favorite Marvel movie to date, only behind the stellar Iron Man. Expand
TVJerryNov 12, 2013
The God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is back to save the universe with his hammer (and some help from Loki). The plot is inconsequential and the dialogue is useless. It's all about the stunning visuals, magnificent art direction and coolThe God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is back to save the universe with his hammer (and some help from Loki). The plot is inconsequential and the dialogue is useless. It's all about the stunning visuals, magnificent art direction and cool sci-fi surprises. The pacing mostly moves (despite the slowish drama with Anthony Hopkins) and the action is big, but it's really about the fantastic fantasy world and comic book spectacle. NOTE: Stay thru the end credits for the real ending. Expand
adhamhanyFeb 8, 2014
A big improvement over its predecessor. Great action sequences, an appreciated sense of humor, consistent pacing, and an interesting plot that ends on an exciting note. The performances were mostly competent, with Tom Hiddleston being the topA big improvement over its predecessor. Great action sequences, an appreciated sense of humor, consistent pacing, and an interesting plot that ends on an exciting note. The performances were mostly competent, with Tom Hiddleston being the top of them all.

Another fine addition to the Marvel franchise.
manwe7Dec 12, 2013
This movie was an improvement from the last Thor movie but not by much. Several hours after I saw it I didn't think about it. A good movie stays with you days after you see it if it's real good, not this one. I saw Oblivion with Tom CruiseThis movie was an improvement from the last Thor movie but not by much. Several hours after I saw it I didn't think about it. A good movie stays with you days after you see it if it's real good, not this one. I saw Oblivion with Tom Cruise the following day on Blue Ray and thought about it for days after. It's definitely not as good as the first 2 Iron Man movies and is not one of Marvel's better franchises. It's a rental at best. Expand
LJHayesJan 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film fits into the MCU very nicely. If you weren't a fan of the Avengers collective already then this probably isn't the film that's going to win you over but if like me you're already well invested in the series then Thor 2 is a nice addition. It progresses Thor's story pretty well, raises some questions about the next Avengers film, the characters are well developed and the action sequences are awesome to watch.
Some of the dialogue can be a bit cheesey at times but you kind of have to forgive a bit of cheesiness in a film about a comic book hero based on norse mythology. Also Malekith isn't the most impressive villain. *spoilers start here* There isn't a great deal of personality or motivation in his character, pretty much the only background we for him is "da bad guy gon' do bad tings." He has two fight sequences in the whole film. The first one he gets his arse handed to him by Thor's mammy and the second one is his final fight with Thor himself which he inevitably loses. Against the previous bad guy, Loki (who's character development and eventual fate are extremely intriguing in this film), he doesn't really measure up.
Overall this film is worth seeing and certainly enjoyable if you are a fan of the Avengers films. But if not then it's not going do much for you.
dharmaNov 9, 2013
Thor: The Dark World may falter when Loki is not around, but it is a pretty solid entry in the Marvel Universe! Tom Hiddleston is simultaneously the biggest delight and problem for this franchise: when he's not around, the film grinds to aThor: The Dark World may falter when Loki is not around, but it is a pretty solid entry in the Marvel Universe! Tom Hiddleston is simultaneously the biggest delight and problem for this franchise: when he's not around, the film grinds to a halt, before picking up again when Loki joins forces with his estranged brother, Thor. Seems to have a higher budget than the previous entry, but still a very solid movie. Stay around for the credits, folks! Expand
imthenoobNov 13, 2013
Improved in every way from the acting to the special effects, No denying that Thor 2 is a good film. That being said, How good is it? I love Alan Taylor as the director. He is a huge improvement and while he may not put a personal twist onImproved in every way from the acting to the special effects, No denying that Thor 2 is a good film. That being said, How good is it? I love Alan Taylor as the director. He is a huge improvement and while he may not put a personal twist on how he directs, He gives us a Thor film that makes us proud and I'd love to see him back for Thor 3. Christopher Eccleston was good as Malekith, the main villain, but sadly Malekith didn't have as large of a role as I hoped he would. The rest of the cast, even Portman, were good.

The battle scenes, aside from the encounters Thor has with Malekith, didn't leave you in awe or captured the way a good comic book film does but they were still enjoyable. The plot is a bit too predictable as well, Often I could call things several minutes before they happened. However, I do love the ending because it leaves a wide opening for what Thor 3 can do plot-wise.

Overall, Thor 2 is a massive step forward of the trashy original and I would highly recommend seeing it because while slightly flawed, It's still worth watching.
Potter9988Nov 11, 2013
there's only one word for it outstanding its major improvement over thor and its on par with iron man 3
its has the best special effects used in a marvel film even better than the avengers.
WyrdmavenNov 15, 2013
It's clear by the high scores that a lot of folks wanted a Thor movie high on action and special effects and sweeping vistas and low on calories. I have seen "Better than the first movie" a lot but I can tell you this movie lost me prettyIt's clear by the high scores that a lot of folks wanted a Thor movie high on action and special effects and sweeping vistas and low on calories. I have seen "Better than the first movie" a lot but I can tell you this movie lost me pretty much from the opening prologue about "Dark Elves" that have laser guns and spaceships and hate light and think the universe belongs to them because apparently they were their first. Before the beginning there wasn't light. Yeah, got it, but the premise doesn't satisfy the viewer as to what the "Dark Elves" are and why they're flying in spacecraft that seem like rejected designs from a new Star Trek movie. Did you understand it, or how they derived their technology or why the gas that dentists used to give before they operated is somehow the most dangerous thing in the universe? Besides the Tesseract (or the Infinity Gauntlet, or the next thing that is the most dangerous thing) ?

No, I didn't like Thor 2 as much as the original because the original had some calories and had some restraint...and a real story and a point. It was a well crafted story, directed by someone who understands stories...and basically Thor's story is right from King Lear where Gloster (Odin) banishes the good son Edgar (Thor) because he was deceived by the bad son Edmund (Loki). Later, when Loki is found to be the villain Thor returns home to set things right best he can and Loki's bid to be king is foiled. Yes, Thor is a fairly pedestrian THOR story, with little action, but with good acting, drama and a logic to what is going on. We have pathos and we have an Odin we can believe in. Running through the thread of Thor is that Odin rescues Loki from death, all the time knowing that Thor will be king but also raising him as his son, knowing it is doomed and that Loki will find his real heritage and betray him and Thor...and that this challenge will mold Thor into being the leader of Asgard that Odin wants him to be. Odin is in control of the situation and see the story play out.

The original Thor movie was weighted by the need to set up the character and his universe to join in with the rest of the Marvels to lead to the pay-off in Avengers. So it tip-toes its way to being a Thor movie that yes, can be a real yawner at times.

And so Thor 2 shows no restraint when it comes to logic, characterization, the laws of physics or basically getting around to splaining itself. So yeah, the Dark Elves (Borgs?) seek to destroy the universe because they need SPF 1000 to survive or something. They were there first, in the dark, then light and life and warmth appeared and they fought to get it back and created a mega-weapon but were defeated because the Asgardians have the Rainbow Bridge (teleporters). So Malekith (Sauron) goes into hibernation until Jane Foster (Bilbo) finds the Laughing Gas which wakes him up and Jane is the carrier of the Ether (the One Ring) who must first be helped in Asgard (Rivendell) and then the answer to stopping Malekith (Sauron's) armies is to take the Ether to the very place it shouldn't go, in a bid to destroy it.

Now where this all falls apart is...a somewhat accurate portrayal of Odin from the comics (or anywhere else), but a fantastic departure from characterization, simply to create set pieces for an actioner. The relationship between Thor and Jane Foster is not one that Odin has approved of and, while his heart may be in the right place, his actions regarding Jane, the Ether, how to deal with Malekith, his behavior after Frigga is killed (which is pointless since razing Asgard would be reason for vengeance enow) creates...hmm...all you folks who hated Thor...look what you've got now:

Odin forbids Thor to do something.
Thor and his friends (and Loki) do the very thing they're not supposed to.
Betraying the orders of Odin results in solving the problem.
Loki seeks the throne by betrayal, only this time he wins, apparently.

Sound familiar? Yeah, no real story that we haven't seen before...except this time, Thor and his friends are absolutely right in betraying Odin's commands because clearly Odin sees only a red mist after Frigga's death and no longer has a reason for what he does. Odin could have clearly done the opposite and set Thor and Co on the same mission, but it wouldn't create enough tension, that this film clearly needed.

Because...if Odin simply tells Thor and Co to go to the Dark World, then...yes folks, Loki stays in his Friggin cell and the movie is completely diff. And it's contrived because of Odin's sudden lack of wisdom and self-control. He's simply an angry god making poor judgments, to merely serve a shoe-horned story whose aim is to blown stuff up reel good.

Thud. Yeah. So yes...it's a good action film if you don't care for story/plot/characterization or an original tale. It, like Iron Man III, dispenses with storytelling to get to the action.

Selah
PanthersFanStevNov 23, 2013
Another highly entertaining Marvel movie, and that is what it is all about, quality entertainment. Please ignore the stuffy critical reviews, the movies that they do like are typically a good cure for insomnia. Lots of Asgardian action,Another highly entertaining Marvel movie, and that is what it is all about, quality entertainment. Please ignore the stuffy critical reviews, the movies that they do like are typically a good cure for insomnia. Lots of Asgardian action, amazing special effects and some big moments for the character Thor. Expand
taygorDec 2, 2013
This is an improvement over the first Thor movie, better than the battle in desert one-horse town from the first one. Content got a little vague at the end, but I can forgive that considering the enjoyment versus the first installment. Worth seeing.
Gamed2longDec 16, 2013
When I sat back watching this movie I was surprised how quickly the time passed. This movie was entertaining from start to finish. Asgard looks amazing. Many millions of dollars have been spent CGI'ing this film up the wazoo. And the fightWhen I sat back watching this movie I was surprised how quickly the time passed. This movie was entertaining from start to finish. Asgard looks amazing. Many millions of dollars have been spent CGI'ing this film up the wazoo. And the fight scenes are pretty epic. But the whole time I watched this film something about it was bugging me. And it was this. Natalie Portman, who can be an amazing actor when she isn't phoning it in, could be replaced with a cardboard cutout for 90% of this film and the movie would run through exactly the same. I am unfamiliar with the comic book upon which the movie is based but I highly doubt the female protagonist is supposed to be so one dimensional. Heck her sidekick Kat Dennings had a more interesting and dynamic story arc with the intern. Natalie Portman meantime looks pretty and gets rescued, until the last minute when she springs into action using tools her co-workers figured out and built without her input, to science/magic somehow help Thor in the big boss battle at the end. And even there her help is rivaled by her co-workers. Not exactly lead protagonist material. Expand
SmeeDec 19, 2013
After disappointing iron man 3 and terrible wolverine i didn't expect much from franchiser but gladly thor proved me wrong.Movie is funny and had a good story and amazing 3D effects.Acting is up to the standard and film really build theAfter disappointing iron man 3 and terrible wolverine i didn't expect much from franchiser but gladly thor proved me wrong.Movie is funny and had a good story and amazing 3D effects.Acting is up to the standard and film really build the momentum to Avengers 2.They present big lie in a scientific way so its almost felt like real. kat dennings look so pretty and so funny. Expand
high90Feb 4, 2014
totally unexpected really enjoyed it. Funny at times and lots of action, drags slightly near the end but certainly not enough to spoil it. Overall I was pleasantly surprised. Roll on Thor 3
Iky009Jan 4, 2014
Esperava mais de Thor. O filme tem ótimos efeitos visuais e tralha voando para todo lado porém uma experiência de aspecto cansativo a única coisa que salva o filme a cena final.
Compi24Nov 17, 2013
Featuring some solid direction, set pieces, and storytelling, "Thor: The Dark World" marks yet another worthy entry into the already expansive Marvel/Disney dynasty.
python2000Jan 3, 2014
The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
The sequel to the mediocre movie Thor. It's an improvement.
Most things are pretty much the same the acting is satisfactory, the plot is satisfactory, the dialogue is satisfactory, the characters are satisfactory. But the one change is that the acting scenes have been reduced (by the target audiences demand for explosions)
to blundering B-movie like smashes and punches which remind me of the cheesy 1960's Batman fights and have about as much intelligence as a mouldy cheese sandwich.
Fortunately the witty, and surprisingly British, humor saves the potentially failed movie. I think I laughed more in Thor The Dark World than I did in Napoleon Dynamite (which I did like), Chris O'Dowd even turns up a few times to provide some comic relief from the brainless antics going on between Thor and Malektih who is played brilliantly but unrecognisably by Christopher Ecclestone.
While the action scenes were a step down I enjoyed Thor The Dark World more than the first movie and do recommend it due to the clever writing and strong effective humor.
mmh35Nov 10, 2013
The first Thor film was a fun popcorn movie and Thor The Dark World was even more fun. I didn't read comic books growing up but for those who did I can get why they would be so invested. I don't go to movies based on comic books expectingThe first Thor film was a fun popcorn movie and Thor The Dark World was even more fun. I didn't read comic books growing up but for those who did I can get why they would be so invested. I don't go to movies based on comic books expecting they are going to turn into academy award winning movies. The Dark Knight, and Heath Ledger, were exceptions. I saw Thor and it's sequel because they looked fun and they were. They're good popcorn movies. In a lot of movies the dialogue can come across like the actors don't know what they're doing, but not here. There's not a bad performance in this movie. Hemsworth and especially Hiddleston rise above what they are given. It was also nice to see Kat Dennings given more to do. The critics need to lighten up. They take themselves way too seriously sometimes. It would be nice if they realized that a lot of us go to the movies to just have some fun. Expand
davidlau17Aug 15, 2015
Tried to be both funny and exciting. Wound up neither. Why the hell did they expand Darcy's role? She was the worst part of the first movie. Overall, just a really sloppy story packed full of ridiculous plot contrivances to move it along.
CptThreepwoodNov 21, 2013
I already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you lookI already enjoyed watching Thor 1 and thought Thor: The Dark World was even better. Yes, there are some points especially about the time between the two movies that don't get explained enough, but the movie was good enough to let you look past this "minor" flaw. There have been some of that typical funny "Thor does not belong into this world" moments and the story was interesting to follow. Loki again was a great character. Maybe not the deepest movie but definitely very entertaining. Expand
dodds44Nov 25, 2013
A great improvement over the first film in 2011. Thor The Dark World has better performances by Hemsworth and Hiddleston, better visuals and a much more fun atmosphere. I always look forward to Marvel films, as silly as they are and they areA great improvement over the first film in 2011. Thor The Dark World has better performances by Hemsworth and Hiddleston, better visuals and a much more fun atmosphere. I always look forward to Marvel films, as silly as they are and they are all flawed, they are always great fun and this was no exception. Expand
thehungergamesNov 9, 2013
I thought it was great! it had humor, series moments and action all combined into one! the ending was a bit unexpected though. but I did feel like it was missing something... I don't know what but something was missing.
marcmyworksJan 2, 2014
Though there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies inThough there is a lot of mindless action sequences and poorly written scenes, overall Thor: The Dark World delivers where the first one couldn't. This film feels more at ease and more like the Marvel comic it is based on, the weakness lies in the lack of depth of the myriad of characters and the satirical humour which struggles to be in the same vein as Joss Whedon. Expand
superwecidNov 13, 2013
Love the first film, loved the second more. Everything has improved, and I haven't a clue why anyone you give this lower than 7. High impact action and a compelling story. And its FANTASTIC to know there following there comics. Also, stayLove the first film, loved the second more. Everything has improved, and I haven't a clue why anyone you give this lower than 7. High impact action and a compelling story. And its FANTASTIC to know there following there comics. Also, stay right to the end of the credits, its not funny, its for the story. Expand
Jpz38_HetzerNov 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didnt think it was as good as Thor 1, But still, fantastic movie. They over did with the humor But it didnt ruin the film. Definitely see it if you get a chance. Expand
willkulkaNov 24, 2013
While better than the first, the sequel provides much more danger, darkness, and an adventurous story that fans are sure to love, but the film still follows the much overdone formula of every other Marvel movie (or superhero movie for that matter).
SnoracksNov 25, 2013
Delivered on everything it needed to, but did little else. Just like Thor 1, Loki steals the show and any scene not including him falls a little flatter. The action sequences were well done and it had a couple jokes here and there.Delivered on everything it needed to, but did little else. Just like Thor 1, Loki steals the show and any scene not including him falls a little flatter. The action sequences were well done and it had a couple jokes here and there. Overall, it is not a must see, but not a disappointment. Hopefully, the next Avengers will revive just a little more interest in these few franchises. Expand
FilmHackNov 28, 2013
A good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe oneA good, fun film. Not fantastic. Not incredible (Ironman was incredible). Good continuity, but I think characterizations were a bit off. The plot follows the comic book lore pretty well. So the problem for me were all the gags maybe one would have been enough. Thor trying to hang his hammer on a coat rack was a bit too much could have edited that one out. Hemsworth and Portman work well together and pave over the awkward moments. Would have liked a bit more development on the villain. Yeah... go see... enjoy. Expand
LensesDec 10, 2013
Yes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? IfYes Thor 2 was entertaining. Was it anything great? Really? No. Just the same movie as the first one again. Was I expecting anymore from this movie? No. So was I surprised? Of course not. Would I recommend this movie to friends? If they want to see top of the line special effects and typical hollywood action? Yes. I give it extra points for Natalie Portmans sake. Typical popcorn munching fare. Expand
Asep2002Dec 9, 2013
This is a very good action movie, the title is also good Thor The Dark World, the visual effect is also good as a real
Actors and actresses in the film played very well
costumes are also good and interesting in the film is not only tense
Actors and actresses in the film played very well
costumes are also good and interesting
in the film is not only tense adengan
There adengan that makes people who watch it to laugh
I think this is one of the best action films this year