Columbia TriStar | Release Date: January 16, 2004
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 45 Ratings
Watch Now
JeffT.Jun 3, 2006
Half these critics don't know squat. One of the best movies in recent years that's not just extremely entertaining... it also stays with you. You owe it to yourself to watch it.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
ryohjiDec 31, 2014
"Tokyo godfathers" tells you a better story about family, love, people and life in 1h 32 than all of the movie on these subject made by DreamWorks Animation, 20th century Fox and Universal put together, for a 100th of what one of their movie"Tokyo godfathers" tells you a better story about family, love, people and life in 1h 32 than all of the movie on these subject made by DreamWorks Animation, 20th century Fox and Universal put together, for a 100th of what one of their movie costs.
It's simple, the first time I saw that film, I left the theater and felt much lighter than I was when I stepped in.
WoojnwotDec 22, 2014
Being a story of love, human kindness, and friendship; Tokyo Godfathers seamlessly integrates its themes within a loving, emotional, and spirited Christmas tale.
JamejarrsMar 12, 2020
Given Satoshi Kon's previous works you wouldn't expect a Christmas-centric comedy from him to work at all, but this film had me grinning from ear to ear.

The art and animation here is absolutely top notch, getting to see this on the big screen was a delight. The writing is sharp and witty, and the film is as touching as it is hilarious with a dynamic and well-rounded cast.

As a fan of the original I was worried that the English actors wouldn't hold a candle to the Japanese version but this dub knocked it out of the park, all the characters feel authentic to their original language counterparts and the performances are great.

There's a reason Satoshi Kon is a legend in the anime industry, this sits right next to all his other works as an all-time classic.
XV_Jun 2, 2019
I didn't know anything about Tokyo Godfathers before I watched it, only the basic premise; 3 homeless people find a little baby in a junkyard. By the time the 2act starts to kick in I was already fell in love with all the characters and wasI didn't know anything about Tokyo Godfathers before I watched it, only the basic premise; 3 homeless people find a little baby in a junkyard. By the time the 2act starts to kick in I was already fell in love with all the characters and was expecting what is going to happen next, I think that one of the strong points of this movie is how it manages to maintain you surprised even when you "solve its mistery" and it does it in such an organic and natural way that it almost look easy. The writing and the animation are amazing, is a hopeful movie about so sad subjects, that really touches you. If you haven't seen it, give it a go, perfect for Christmas time. Expand