Netflix | Release Date (Streaming): February 1, 2019
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 117 Ratings
Watch Now
qb1qnobiFeb 14, 2019
The movie was incredibly slow paced and boring. The acting was good, but the execution of the plot was painful.
BHBarryFeb 13, 2019
“Velvet Buzzsaw” stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo. Written and directed by Dan
Gilroy, this is a film that just can’t make up its mind nor can some of the characters in
it. Mr. Gyllenhaal’s character struts throughout the film as a
it. Mr. Gyllenhaal’s character struts throughout the film as a homosexual art dealer
but all of the sex scenes are between him and other women. Likewise, the film itself purports
to be a satire on the art scene yet it also tries to be a horror film never fully or committing
under either label. Currently being exhibited on both Netflix and in local theaters,
the film doesn’t deserve tp be seen in either venue. I give the film a 1.0 ratingar and suggest
that a blank tv or movie screen will be more entertaining than this poor attempt at
entertainment
EludiumQ36Feb 7, 2019
Velvet Buzzsaw starts off deliciously pretentious and ostentatious. Then, its slow pacing sets in which may turn you off, in fact, I almost quit it 1/2 hr into it because one can only take so much deliberate pretention. About 45min in,Velvet Buzzsaw starts off deliciously pretentious and ostentatious. Then, its slow pacing sets in which may turn you off, in fact, I almost quit it 1/2 hr into it because one can only take so much deliberate pretention. About 45min in, there's the first supernatural incident but it's so lame in that's it's totally unmotivated, just happening out of nowhere. Then 15mins later another supernatural-caused death, also unmotivated and happens out of nowhere. Finally, 15 mins later another which is just so B-movie horror-ible that I'm out at that point, this no longer makes rational sense. Even the starshine of Jake Gill&Hall with has-been Renee SoSo can't salvage this. Expand
cornbreadFeb 23, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie had so much potential. I saw the trailer and was immediately drawn to the core premise: old man dies, no one knows him, turns out he’s a prolific master painter...but oh wait he uses blood as pigment. Now that is wonderfully disturbing.

They could have run with that and really dug into this man. Where did he get the blood? Was he a prolific serial killer? Did he leave a trail of murder behind him?

Instead they resorted to a lame supernatural angle. Turns out this dead old guy kills you The Ring style (and a poor interpretation at best) if you own his art. You don’t even get a creepy phone call telling you that you have 7 days.

It’s almost as if the film doesn’t trust the audience to be mature enough to find the “reality” of the situation as interesting and compelling as some fake supernatural crap.

Such a let down. Now I just crave someone doing this core plot somenactual justice!
GrantD243Feb 12, 2019
Velvet Buzzsaw starts out as an intriguing indie-like film, and then it devolves into a psychological horror film that is worse than most low budget Blumhouse projects. Jake Gyllenhaal gives a decent performance (for what he has to workVelvet Buzzsaw starts out as an intriguing indie-like film, and then it devolves into a psychological horror film that is worse than most low budget Blumhouse projects. Jake Gyllenhaal gives a decent performance (for what he has to work with), but nearly everything else just continuously gets worse and worse as the film drags on. One of the worst films I've watched in a long time. Expand
imthenoobFeb 2, 2019
The cast does a good enough job but the film never gained my interest and it was rather tough for me to finish. The characters come off as shallow and basic, The plot and subplots are generic and fail to bring any real excitement to what isThe cast does a good enough job but the film never gained my interest and it was rather tough for me to finish. The characters come off as shallow and basic, The plot and subplots are generic and fail to bring any real excitement to what is suppose to be this suspenseful horror movie. It's not at all what I thought it would be based on the trailer and that's what really disappointed me. Velvet Buzzsaw comes off as a straight to video horror release that fails to bring anything unique to the table. Expand
RaduAFeb 2, 2019
This movie is weird. It has good and bad acting, interesting story, but too many unnecessary stuff, a mediocre jumpscare ... but in the end, it makes you curious what will happen next.
ahmedaiman1999Feb 1, 2019
Velvet Buzzsaw is thought-provoking, but not in a good way. My mind couldn't stop thinking throughout its 113 minute runtime; only to make sure if I'm really getting all what is going on, or the plot is so profound and smart that I'm onlyVelvet Buzzsaw is thought-provoking, but not in a good way. My mind couldn't stop thinking throughout its 113 minute runtime; only to make sure if I'm really getting all what is going on, or the plot is so profound and smart that I'm only seeing the surface of it. The dialogue sounded very sophisticated, and everything was very stylish. Alas, the movie is utterly pretentious, and isn't half intelligent as it tries to be. The movie just liked to overstylize while it tried to distract you from its overly-expository dialogue, and its incoherent plot. But this is just the tip of the iceberg!

Only five minutes through the movie, I could tell that Velvet Buzzsaw is nothing but a typical Netflix movie; not like Roma, but much more like Mute. The production design, for instance, is surprisingly cheap and poor (considering the movie is about Art) that made the movie looks more like an episode of a TV-Series than an actual movie. There are some stunning colorful shots, though. Thanks in large part to the cinematographer Robert Elswit (There Will Be Blood).

In the first 10 minutes we are introduced to many characters on after another who I wish if I cared about any of them. Aside from Josephina, played by Zawe Ashton, I was hardly invested in any of the characters. The stellar cast is not to blame of course; Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, and Toni Collette, they really did their best. What's worse than the overabundance of characters, whom I didn't care about, is that almost half of them are pretty much needless and don't have much to add to the story.

Dan Gilroy's use of foreshadowing is as unsubtle as it gets. I mean he abruptly quite literally focuses on particular things that would have a major role in the plot later on. Some of the images Gilroy throws right in your face are just for a satirical purpose. By the way, Velvet Buzzsaw falls completely flat as a satirical movie, If you haven't already expected that. Its satire is blatantly toothless and blunt.

The way Gilroy moves between the characters is quite impressive. It's slick, and also make you feel as if all the characters are suspicious, and always keep an eye on each other.

As a horror film, Velvet Buzzsaw doesn't have many horror elements, except some "scary" scenes and jumpscares scattered throughout the second half that are as laughably cheap as those you see in trashy dumb slasher horror flicks. As a result, the movie has a painfully inconsistent tone.

I would be lying if I said that I wasn't interested at some point in the story, and wanted to know what would happen. Nevertheless, that was only for about 10 minutes in the second act, and then the movie lost me again pretty quick.

I can't express how frustrated and underwhelmed I am, especially when the movie marks the second collaboration between one of my all-time favorite actors Jake Gyllenhaal and the talented filmmaker Dan Gilroy, after the first movie they made together, Nightcrawler, which is one of my all-time favorites, and one of the few movies I gave them the perfect score. It's not the first time though for Gilroy to disappoint me, for he did back in 2017 with his mediocre film, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Velvet Buzzsaw is the first 2019 movie I watch, and it's likely to be on my top 10 disappointing movies of 2019 at the end of the year! Low your expectations, because Velvet Buzzsaw is yet another Netflix movie.

(4/10)
garmonboziaFeb 2, 2019
A superficial satire on the art world with lots of cartoonish characters. It's really basic, shallow and a bit boring in its attempt to tell something about art market (???) It fails on so many levels. It isn't entertaining, it isn't visuallyA superficial satire on the art world with lots of cartoonish characters. It's really basic, shallow and a bit boring in its attempt to tell something about art market (???) It fails on so many levels. It isn't entertaining, it isn't visually stimulating enough (the only beautiful takes that don't look cheesy are those few Los Angeles landscapes) and it lacks in atmosphere. The killings looked kitschy to almost laughable level - especially those dripping paintings that start to colour one of the victims. The movie looks like some modern version of X-files episode (only without FBI agents). It looks very TV. A TV movie. It has no power to stuck in your mind as something interesting and worth watching again. Expand
ExtrimemanFeb 2, 2019
When Velvet Buzzaw is a trashy, cheesy comedy-horror it's great, but everything else is a total mess, with horrible editing and tempo. It rushes from scene to scene with unfitting pace, never feeling whole.
JohnTheAndroidFeb 1, 2019
Velvet Buzzsaw is not a masterpiece, but it is surely amazing. Very creative and well made from many perspectives, such as the production design, amazing performances from Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo and Toni Collete, the rest of it doesn'tVelvet Buzzsaw is not a masterpiece, but it is surely amazing. Very creative and well made from many perspectives, such as the production design, amazing performances from Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo and Toni Collete, the rest of it doesn't stand out too much unfortunately. Highly recomended. Expand
amheretojudgeFeb 1, 2019
So Much Buzzing And No Gossip To Follow.

Velvet Buzzsaw Gilroy has a daunting task to play, his decision to make majority of people love art by adding an horrifying ingredient into it fails on all levels. Did he stand a chance? Maybe. There
So Much Buzzing And No Gossip To Follow.

Velvet Buzzsaw

Gilroy has a daunting task to play, his decision to make majority of people love art by adding an horrifying ingredient into it fails on all levels. Did he stand a chance? Maybe. There was a promising concept and cast in his hands. But, he just wasn't up for it. This quirky comedy rather than a satirical one, comes off a bit eggy, as it imbalances the tone of the film. And also, I would blame the editing, it snaps from a comic scene to a suspenseful death, it ought to lose its grasp then and there. Plus, working on a familiar structure and no antic to follow, this so called horror never scares you. There is very less art to devour in here. For instance, despite of not sharing a definite theme, Gilroy's world is perpetually justifying, from all the scandals to the controversies, he puts each element on trial and there are no bars held on condemning them.

Another thing to explore in detail is Gyllenhaal's sharp three dimensional character. The whole physic of a critic is deconstructed brick by brick in every step which is Gilroy's ace in the game. Now, there is his and your window to draw in and snatch away the laughs. Gyllenhaal's very nature of criticizing every final bit is what factors the most on keeping this light and breezy; even a temporary spectacles given to him is judged without any control over himself. Speaking of whom, his performance is a straight out bullet.

Without any flinching, on writhing with fear or resisting the seduction power, he fabricates his performance with a weary eyes that speaks volumes and a flamboyant body language. He can switch back to that comic tone and jump in on a horrifying snap easily, and it's that commitment of doing so, that makes him help communicate his ideologies fluently. Parallel to him, lies Russo's character who sticks by to her performance with a panache and attitude that only Colette can and does match her on screen (kisses!).

Colette is completely underused or misused, either way she doesn't feel a threat as a character in storytelling to make you love or hate her. Ashten gets a much bigger role and stays true to it for the most part of it where the rest of the cast like Malkovich, Diggs and Dyer joins the Colette club. Surprisingly, for a film about art, there is very little creativity and originality on narration.

Each of those tensed horror staged show whispers nothing but cliched montages that obviously fails to conjure your fears. Is there a deep down message or a layer worth scratching on? No, it is definitely not something that we haven't already seen before. The only thing to be surprised and delighted about would be that it isn't unnecessarily dark or poignant, the chirpiness plastered by these characters as a public figure gets you down to that last station without any definite reason. Velvet Buzzsaw has a slick title and a concept, beyond that, this exhibition ought to be shut down.
Davrosdaleks1Feb 2, 2019
Netflix original Velvet Buzzsaw is an interesting combination of a supernatural horror movie and a biting critique of the business side of the art world. In it, an employee of an art studio finds out her recently deceased neighbor had tons ofNetflix original Velvet Buzzsaw is an interesting combination of a supernatural horror movie and a biting critique of the business side of the art world. In it, an employee of an art studio finds out her recently deceased neighbor had tons of paintings in his apartment. There's a lot of publicity in an unknown artist who only becomes famous after death and the studio starts selling his work. Soon terrible fates fall upon those involved. Overall, I found this to be an interesting film that could've been better if the run time was cut down a bit.

I've got no complaints on the horror aspect. The deadly curse mostly operates through works of art. There are some of the most visually impressive and creative deaths I have seen in a while. The background of the artist, though maybe not the most original backstory, also manages.

The art world side however is hit and miss. The unscrupulous side of the business is interesting and at times the script and dialogue work. However, other parts are rather dry and at times dull. The film is longer and has more cast members than needed.

Director/writer Dan Gilroy, who also did Nightcrawler, has a pretty good sense of style, especially the aforementioned killings. The movie even has the dying breed that is the opening credits sequence. However, some parts don't quite work. In fairness, I think the film may have been hampered by the budget a little. (I think the brunt of the money went into getting Jake Gyllenhaal, Renee Russo, Toni Colette, and John Malkovich.) The lighting is lifeless and there is a a segue involving a champagne glass that seems unnecessary and poorly edited and rendered.

Good cast. Gylenhaal, the lead, proves he has versatility by doing a swell job as a cynical, effete art critic.

I feel the choice of recommending this or not is difficult. This movie's mixing of genres makes it a rather subjective affair.
Trineo99Feb 2, 2019
First of all, the plot is a unique one and sounds interesting on its own but the film decided that no it wasn’t. They started to throw in things that didn’t need to be in the film. It just started to slow down the film and at certain pointsFirst of all, the plot is a unique one and sounds interesting on its own but the film decided that no it wasn’t. They started to throw in things that didn’t need to be in the film. It just started to slow down the film and at certain points made it feel like it halted to a stop. Some of these plot points lead to scenes in the film that could have been taken out and change nothing. This ties in perfectly with my next thing which is the pacing. The film feels slow at the beginning of the film and because of it the last bit of it feels rushed. This is sad because the last fifteen minutes of the film is the most interesting part of it. The rest of the hour and fifty-two-minute movie is just boring and makes you keep checking the clock to see how much longer it is. Now, this would’ve been fine if the acting in this was able to grab your attention and hold on to and for some of the actors it does but the rest slips. Jake Gyllenhaal, who plays Morf Vandewalt, was the main person that you followed throughout this film and whenever he was on screen he had your attention. His character had the most development out of all of them, despite it taking a bit to develop. But one thing that did bug me is that he seemed to have been playing the same character that he did in 2014’s Nightcrawler. This could be because the same director of Nightcrawler, Dan Gilroy, directed this film. The ending of this film is just weird and ends abruptly with zero conclusion to the story. Finally, the music, composed by Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders, is great. Whenever you can hear the music it helps with the tension and makes you think something is going to happen. In the end, this film does have good underlying themes to it and a great Jake Gyllenhaal performance but is a slow burn. Expand
offthewallFeb 5, 2019
Say what ya' wanna say, but I really found this movie interesting, spooky, and funny watching the bizzaro characters navigate the cutthroat world portrayed, doing anything to gain an edge. And Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the best no matter whatSay what ya' wanna say, but I really found this movie interesting, spooky, and funny watching the bizzaro characters navigate the cutthroat world portrayed, doing anything to gain an edge. And Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the best no matter what role he's in. His work in Nitecrawler was another of his great roles. Expand
madarasi012Feb 7, 2019
Like the world it portrays, Velvet Buzzsaw is pretty but shallow, with nothing that is worth your time. The best thing about Velvet Buzzsaw is Jake Gyllenhaal and you’re better off seeing him in Dan Gilroy’s better attempt, Nightcrawler. ILike the world it portrays, Velvet Buzzsaw is pretty but shallow, with nothing that is worth your time. The best thing about Velvet Buzzsaw is Jake Gyllenhaal and you’re better off seeing him in Dan Gilroy’s better attempt, Nightcrawler. I don’t hate Velvet Buzzsaw, but I cannot think of one good reason to recommend it, largely in part to its failed combination of genres. Expand
KenmeiFeb 3, 2019
This was a boring slog through a movie that's both very self-aware but also wants you to take itself very seriously. Velvet Buzzsaw fails at being both a Horror movie or a major critique of the world of Art itself. The biggest thing I feltThis was a boring slog through a movie that's both very self-aware but also wants you to take itself very seriously. Velvet Buzzsaw fails at being both a Horror movie or a major critique of the world of Art itself. The biggest thing I felt was the problem though was that the movie never really grabbed hold of what it was supposed to be and went with it. The story itself is absolutely terrible. The "horror" aspects of the film are so poorly explained and flimsy they actually had to write in a scene halfway through the movie where Gyllenhaal has to explain what, exactly, the characters should be terrified of, point by point. The scene comes out of nowhere with barely any exploration of what is truly going on and his character has just suddenly "done the research" off camera and knows what is happening. The fact that all of these characters are extremely unlikeable almost made me want to root for the monster or being or whatever that was killing them. The other half of the movie is, what I would guess since I have no knowledge of the art world, a brutal critique on how artists are handled and how one reviewer, in this case Jake Gyllenhaal, can make or break their career so be careful not to get on their bad side. The writers seemed more interested in seeing if they could fit every art buzzword they could possibly find into the script then actually making one that was coherent enough to really follow. Even the fairly recognizable cast couldn't prop up what is just a truly bad script. And even when the movie sets up a couple of different twists the plot could have gone down, they are completely forgotten or actually made into what kinda becomes a running joke. It feels like this was meant to be a straight up drama about the Art industry until, at the last minute, someone decided that would be boring so make it into a Horror movie! It feels unevenly mashed together, like a square peg in a round hole, and nothing ever seems to come off as even a remotely good idea here. I'd recommend skipping this. As a movie that tries to be a Horror movie and send a message, it does neither very good whatsoever. Expand
The3AcademySinsFeb 3, 2019
I thought that Velvet Buzzsaw was one of the most unique commentaries on art that I have ever seen. The examination and discussion of greed, art's purpose, and who should enjoy art, are only heightened by using a horror lens to craft theI thought that Velvet Buzzsaw was one of the most unique commentaries on art that I have ever seen. The examination and discussion of greed, art's purpose, and who should enjoy art, are only heightened by using a horror lens to craft the discussion. I got vibes of H.P. Lovecraft and The King in Yellow and Junji Ito's Spiral while watching Velevet Buzzsaw, and horror and madness are major themes of this piece.

There is some great acting in this piece, and Jake Gyllenhall leads the way. His performance of an egotistic art critique brings back some of his energy in Nightcrawler, and in a way, Velvet Buzzsaw feels like a spiritual successor to Nightcrawler. The supporting cast features some solid performances by John Malkovich, Natalia Dyer, Toni Collette, and Daveed Diggs among others.

I don't know if this is a film everyone will enjoy. If you like horror, or weird fiction, or high art, or stories about greed, or movies that serve more as a philosophical discussion than a film, you may really enjoy Velvet Buzzsaw. I know I did.
FabsFonsecaFeb 1, 2019
Instigante, com uma boa narrativa e ótimo suspense. Perde apenas na falta de explicações, é quase como se pretendesse ter uma história, mas não a tivesse.
YeetusMcGeetusFeb 3, 2019
A goodly film starring the ever effervescent Jake Gyllenhall. This is a very tense movie that reminded me a lot of Hereditary in terms of how it presents its horror. It's a good discussion about art too!
marcmifsudFeb 2, 2019
BREAKDOWN:

BREAKDOWN:

Writing: Velvet Buzzsaw struggles to find motivation. Although it may be hidden under the pile of obscurity it creates, it is seemingly not there. There is no rhyme or reason why the characters that die are the ones that die. If this is the case of the "no motivation killer" such as 'Halloween' then perhaps not enough characters died. Some characters are left in the end to live and you are left wondering why and how they fit into the puzzle besides relationships to other characters. And speaking of the character relationships, most of them in this film have no purpose and are there to give a bit more life to the characters. They in no way fit into the plot and just make the film feel like 'Sex and the City'. 4/10

Performances: With the likes of Jake Gyllenhaal and Toni Collette, how could this film not have good acting? Gyllenhaal's mental breakdown and degradation are some of the high points in the movie. I only wish we had seen more Toni Collette and John Malkovich in the overall impact of the story. 7/10

Cinematography: The cinematography is uninspiring and nothing flashy. It only serves to show us directly what is on the screen (until the end when the frame replicates something we've seen before). Also, in some scenes, the cinematography does not fit the tone of the scene itself. 4/10

Editing: The editing is choppy in some places. Some cut choices were unideal, in my opinion. But besides that, also nothing special. 4/10

Visual Effects: The VFX is one of the highlights of the films. Some of the killings are done in beautiful ways that make the film not boring to watch. 8/10

Enjoyment: 'Velvet Buzzsaw' is mostly not boring. The relationships, although tacky, give us something to pay attention to during the key moments of the story. The horror elements are also well-done, minus some pointless jumpscares. Also, it was great finally seeing a bisexual main character in a movie. 6/10

Musical Score: The score is beautiful in some moments and fuses well with the imagery. However, early on in the film, there were moments where the music absolutely did not fit what was happening on-screen. 4/10

Sound Mixing: Just like the cinematography and editing, there was nothing flashy here. Although, there is one scene where the sound mixing is implemented cleverly to scare a character, but misses on scaring the audience. 6/10

Production Design: The scenes are beautifully crafted, which is especially important for a film about artists and art. 8/10

Summary: 'Velvet Buzzsaw' is an enjoyable movie for its larger moments, but fails at providing a story that truly satisfies audiences' cravings. It gives us too much with the characters and not enough with the world. 5/10
eagleeyevikingFeb 19, 2019
While its satire on art sale is tremendously realized, the film's horror elements are shoddy, its set-up is painfully slow, and the characters are not fleshed out enough.
MattBrady99Feb 15, 2019
"The admiration I had for your work has completely evaporated."

"The admiration I had for your work has completely evaporated."

'Velvet Buzzsaw' feels more like Goosebumps TV movie with the plot summary and overexpose lighting that made it look cheap. This is just sad as I had high hopes for this one, despite 'Roman J. Israel Esq.' leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

There's not a single likable character in this movie. Well maybe Natalia Dyer character who play's the innocent co-worker. What's even worse is they get way too much screen time, which bogs down the pacing, because I couldn't give a sh*t about any of them.

I was pretty bored at times if I have to be honest.

It's unfocused and tries way too hard to be everything - after awhile it forgets about the killer paintings. The critique on the art world, art itself, critics and horror - it fails horribly at getting the message across.

Jake Gyllenhaal is at least entertaining as the campy, but pompous art critic. Same thing with Toni Collette. Hoboman, who's a robotic art piece, I thought was pretty terrifying and the climax involving him was actual scary. There's some funny moments with the dialogue and little character traits (mostly from Gyllenhaal character).

Overall rating: I guess 'Nightcrawler' was just a fluke for Dan Gilroy.
capt_morganFeb 3, 2019
Very Interesting flick, characters were shallow but exactly true to their nature. I really like where the director went with this and the subject matter is different from most of the over done themes.
bartioramaFeb 5, 2019
It's a good thriller, with an original concept, extraoridinary mood (will not get into fans of horror movies), visuals and first of all amazing creations of a whole cast. Some moments are boring, just do not work at all, in the other handIt's a good thriller, with an original concept, extraoridinary mood (will not get into fans of horror movies), visuals and first of all amazing creations of a whole cast. Some moments are boring, just do not work at all, in the other hand there are some ideas that can surprise you. Generally I enjoyed the movie. Expand
JLuis_001Feb 18, 2019
A painful disappointment. Boy I was incredibly disappointed. Especially because I expected a lot of this film and the truth is that I feel Netflix killed it with the trailer because that trailer really showed all the most relevant andA painful disappointment. Boy I was incredibly disappointed. Especially because I expected a lot of this film and the truth is that I feel Netflix killed it with the trailer because that trailer really showed all the most relevant and exciting scenes, which unfortunately also sold it as if it were a frontal horror film and it's not like that.

I don't usually complain about these things, especially because I don't usually see many trailers. I prefer to be surprised, but this film started making noise just a few months ago and when they released the images, I honestly thought that it would be a very interesting film but it's not. It's incredibly boring. The first hour is brutally boring

In addition, it wastes its interesting mystery and premise in a very simplistic way and frankly the cast leaves much to be desired. What a damn obsession of wasting John Malkovich for god's sake.

Jake Gyllenhaal tries and does a good job because he's the one you will remember once you finish the film but unfortunately, the final impression will be devastatingly forgettable. How **** annoying is that.
NothingReviewsFeb 15, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From the director of Nightcrawlers and starring Jake Gyllenhaal. Velvet Buzzsaw is a movie that is quite different from other movies as it takes horror elements into this weird art/fashion film. I just don't know how to put it to words but it's really a good movie but there are problems which bugged me after the movie.

I first want to put out that Jake Gyllenhaal was one of the best actors in this movie (as always) playing this sassy art reviewer who caused many problems with his reviews being too, critical, you could tell that he has a problem and he realized it when he comes across the paintings and he knows that it's cursed and he used to be this confident and critical person and now he became this scared, frightened, and he looks everywhere when he goes to places. Jake did so well with this character. I like the combination of supernatural horror bringing into this art world which I've never seen before and keeps up our attention as to who painted these paintings, why were they cursed and who's was the artist and his back story and most of these were answered in this movie. The actors and actress's performance are well mixed. Natalia Dyer did a really good job being this used assistant and being treated badly and I love how she's always the first to witness the murder every time which is really funny. Rene Russo was pretty good as well but I'm a bit mixed with Zawe Ashton character which her performance is alright but her personality sucks. The cinematography is not bad. there's one scene where there opened the bag with the cursed paintings and goes looks directly to the people which emphasizes that the sprites are spying at them which is a great way to show not tell to show sprites. The deaths are pretty creative and original and yeah that's basically why I liked this film.

However, again there are problems that just bugged me and it's easily avoidable situations that the characters could have been avoided as for example, Josephina waits for a tow truck to get rid of a car blocking her, then the camera does a 360 degrees around her and magically a room pop out looking like an art museum and I know she looked at that wall before and then she goes in that room and calls someone. If I was in that situation, I would just be weirded out and wait for the tow truck. I'm surprised she didn't her the paint dripping from the paints. Josephina is kind of a dick, she cheated on Morf (played by Jake) whilst before her boyfriend cheated on her. It's pretty messed up since Morf has some problems and instead of being a dick to him, you could have been nicer and try to support him but no, you just want to get revenge on him which really? Now when I say that there will be horror elements, this does mean there very cheap "jump scares" which could have been done right but there use loud sound effects and something jumps out which is just dumb to do and ruins the atmosphere of in this world and I could see how these elements can be created without loud sounds with the cursed art but they didn't just becomes more of a thriller than a horror movie. I do recommend it but don't expect something scary coming out as I wasn't scared at all, more like a mystery and thriller but if you do like thrillers then yeah watch this movie then.
AnxiosulFeb 2, 2019
Velvet Buzzsaw it's an ok movie. Not a very good one, but an enjoyable one it is. Jake Gyllenhaal is funny. A great actor who can do whatever he wants. And he is good at it.One of my favourite actors.It's not a new story, but it's a strangeVelvet Buzzsaw it's an ok movie. Not a very good one, but an enjoyable one it is. Jake Gyllenhaal is funny. A great actor who can do whatever he wants. And he is good at it.One of my favourite actors.It's not a new story, but it's a strange approach..A fine movie, with good actors, but nothing special.. Expand
MarkiniFeb 20, 2019
The movie is the Final Destination movies if they went to art school. The film does have an interesting concept. The death scenes are done in creative ways that are unexpected. However, the film takes itself to seriously in some parts and notThe movie is the Final Destination movies if they went to art school. The film does have an interesting concept. The death scenes are done in creative ways that are unexpected. However, the film takes itself to seriously in some parts and not serious enough in others. It tries very hard to use pretentious language to sound like they're smarter than you, which works in that you want them all to die. Expand
mefirstoyFeb 9, 2019
A film with a lot to offer on its core, but poorly elaborated and completely dismembered. The juxtaposition of humor and horror is great, but it never takes you anywhere. Great performances, fantastic backstory on the mysterious artist but atA film with a lot to offer on its core, but poorly elaborated and completely dismembered. The juxtaposition of humor and horror is great, but it never takes you anywhere. Great performances, fantastic backstory on the mysterious artist but at the end, just a film that tries to be too smart and ends up being too silly. Expand
EnterFilmFeb 9, 2019
Written and Directed by Dan Gilroy, Velvet buzzsaw shows takes you on a satirical ride through the dark and twisted world of modern art.

Gilroy once again teams up with Jake Gyllenhaal staring as a strange pretentious art critic. Rene Russo playing Rhodora a cut throat art gallery owner and Zawe Ashton as her 'protegee' Josefina. As well as John Malkovich as a famous idea blocked artist.

Josefina finds numerous unusual pieces of artwork from her recently deceased neighbour Vetril Dease. Who upon his death willed everything to be destroyed. So naturally Josefina steals these before that can happen and eventually shares them with Rhodora and Morf to exploit this opportunity for their own gain. From this point on, things are not quite the same, these are not just your regular masterpiece.

The cinematography is right off the top shelf for me. Whether that's with the camera panning through crowds of people hearing numerous conversations about the work of Dease, or subtle uses of the art reflecting within the glasses of a mesmerised Gyllenhaal.

Music is something that always stands out to me in horror movies and with Velvet Buzzsaw it fit every scene perfectly, the instruments and tempo flawlessly matched the scene increasing the eeriness, particularly showcases when Josefina explores the room of Dease.

Velvet Buzzsaw does not pack the punch it seemed to be building up to. I wish Gilroy had pushed the boundaries even further, it had a perfect balance between horror and satire, but I wish it went a little bit more towards the horror.

Velvet Buzzsaw does provide an interesting looking into the glamorous world of the arts featuring truly exceptional performances.
night4Mar 1, 2019
It's ok for a one-time viewing. Not something you'd ever want to watch again.

I'm rating it slightly higher than it deserves because it's kind of creative. The acting is good, but everything else is kinda bad.
crotchApr 3, 2019
I loved the actors’ performances. I loved the satirical, over-the-top nature that you don’t take seriously. And most importantly, I loved how I had no idea where this movies is going and how it was going to end.
BerikFeb 22, 2019
What happens if a power and wealth hungry woman lives next to an artist that put his anger and pain inside his paitings and uses blood magic? Well, it really has nothing to do with a velvet buzzsaw, but it's in there somewhere.

To keep it

To keep it short, interesting movie! Instead of leaning on horror elements, the characters are laid out very well, and their personal problems make for an interesting story about a dead artist who was very good at painting. Very enjoyable to watch, i give it an 8/10.
BulgarianCriticFeb 18, 2019
An incredibly cliche and boring movie but the artwork was pretty nice but everything else was meh
DjakeirFeb 4, 2019
Velvet Buzzsaw is a very self aware film that almost uses the context of the movie to pre-emptively discredit any bad critique regarding it. This then allows Dan Gilroy to go all out and go so extremly over the top that leaves you dazed. IVelvet Buzzsaw is a very self aware film that almost uses the context of the movie to pre-emptively discredit any bad critique regarding it. This then allows Dan Gilroy to go all out and go so extremly over the top that leaves you dazed. I have never before seen a movie where you question yourself whether you liked it or not and the answer you reach is neither. Dan Gilroy has successfully managed to achieve something quite extraordinary here in the audience response, in that we now understand truly what the point was behind the film. That point being that art is divisive, it shouldn't be put down to either good or bad, it should be witnessed by as many or as few people as possible, somewhat undoing the damage of commercialisation and scrutiny of art. Dare I say the movie, never sems to reach a climax because that has to come within the viewer. That being said, not everyone thinks about movies when the credits role and therefore, on a surface level te movie has flaws, it is quite shallow and lacks relatable emotions but then again isn't that not the impression we get from art elitists. The horror element isn't really there and I don't think extreme horror could work as it would be too disjointed from the cartoonish aspects. The movie is paced in a way that hardly gives you a break to refocus which can sometimes be tiring. The saving grace, ultimately, to this movie that makes the almost 2 hour running time enjoyable is the amazing cast. Rene Russo, Toni Collette and John Malkovic add an element of bitterness that helps to create the atmosphere of the exclusive art world. I do have slight problems, with Zoe and Natalia's performances in the sense that they came across outweighed and outperformed by their colleagues. Billy Magnussen, I felt could have been given more scenes to elaborate on his borderline obsessive connection with the Dease art. And finally Jake Gyllenhaal. Do I really need to say anything more. At this stage do we even need to question Jakes' performances. Again he proves that he is a rare talent who has a real passion for every aspect of the industry of film making and adds so much to every scene and every movie that is lucky to have him star in. Many people were on the the fence about this movie but Jake is the common factor that pushes it to an overall good rating. My only slight annoyance is with comentors who are now saying Jake is delivering consistenly over the top and whacky characters. To which I can tell them to go and watch wildlife so they can actual present informed opinions. Lets talk about the elephant in the room, Nightcrawler, Dan Gilroys' previously (highly) successful project with Jake. It was inevitable that comparisons were going to be made between the two films, but they were so different that I don't think it is appropraite to compare them. Would I have prefered a darker more realsitic thriller about the artworld? Yes. And yet I wouldn't change Velvet Buzzsaw because, why change a movie to be more like a previous movie just because it was successful. It is that kind of formulaic approach to movie making, that whilst does good in the award season, offers nothing to be commended. In conclusion, the orginality, acting and overall lasting affect of this movie should be commended. This film has tapped into multiple genres and new aspects of opinions that have been previously unexplored. That kind of bravery and orginiality deserves respect. Expand
BrettshupeMar 8, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Velvet Buzzsaw is a movie that popped out of nowhere and had many people excited when first announced. What many thought would be an intense gripping thriller is more of a work of satire than a horror movie of any sorts. The movie has thriller/horror concepts and scenes but it never truly feels like that's what the film is supposed to be.
The film follows Morph, an extremely respectable and established art critic played by Jake Gyllenhaal—which is, in my opinion, by far the best character. I very much like Gyllenhaal in this role; he exudes a level of smugness as the harsh egotistical art critic. Most of the actors in this movie give good performances for what they are given to work with, but the film seems a bit inconsistent and messy at parts, something that annoyed me as the viewer is the amount of fade to blacks they had in this film, it seemed very redundant. Director Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler) is at the helm of this movie and many of his past techniques are shown in this movie. His follow-shots are used immensely in this film especially near the beginning of the film, which is positive for the most part besides becoming repetitive, it shows an amount of skillful filmmaking. The satire/portrayal of the fine art industry is exceptionally entertaining and is one of the parts of the film that shines. As a Student currently enrolled in an art program, a lot of the exchanges about the fine arts are scarily familiar to what it is. It is an exaggeration of certain character types in the art community, but it is enjoyable none the less. The story does have slower parts for sure in it, so some of the middle areas of the movie are extremely drawn out and frankly boring. The film seems to understand its ridiculousness and makes sure the names of the characters fit there exact demeanor (Jon Don-don, Gretchen). The concept though more satirical exposé of the ridiculous world of art then a horror film does truly hit some amazing concepts in its few horror moments and concepts. The kills/scares of Velvet Buzzsaw are, mostly, extremely creative and thought-provoking; it truly is one of the freshest concepts in the latest years of Hollywood. Sadly, the film seems surprisingly low budget for a movie with a budget of 21 million dollars. It seemed more like a student film in certain areas The film does a great bit of foreshadowing for future kills/scares, such as very briskly revealing Rene Russo's Rhodora was in a punk-rock group named Velvet Buzzsaw, then later shows that she has a tattoo on her neck of the band's logo which later is her demise. It shows the character of Gretchen becoming infatuated with this art piece named simply "sphere," later her fate coming to becoming stuck in the piece itself. This is effective storytelling, but there are parts that seem extremely rushed and just plain weird. The character of Coco played by stranger things actress Natalia Dyer is always in the wrong place at the wrong time! I don't know who cursed this girl with 18 years worth of bad luck, but oh my word. She keeps finding the dead people. She across the whole film discovers the bodies of Jon Don-don, Gretchen, and morph. This girl can't catch a break! This seemed extremely repetitive in the film because she would find them then scream every time the exact same way. A plus side of the kills is you basically hate everyone and I believe that's completely intentional, the film seems to want to portray everyone as unlikable. This works awesome for the kills but is a double-edged sword. If we don't care about the characters, we certainly just want to see them die and not talk for 75 percent of the movie. The movie takes its time with its kills and basically waits till the last 30 minutes to kill everyone off beside a few key characters such as the unlucky girl Coco. This is probably the best part of the movie. As much as I do enjoy the satirical aspect of it, I keep waiting for the horror aspects to come in, making the satire and exposition kind of a waiting line to the good stuff. Something I actually adore in this film is its color correction. It's used to give the film a more vibrant pop art feel, which is subtle, but I very much appreciate this attention to detail. It adds so much atmosphere and personality to the beginning scenes exploring the art community and industry. That said the visual effects seem a bit lower quality than I believe originally intended. The effect that for some strange reason still bothers me is the effect on the tattoo that makes final Rhodora's imminent demise. The last five minutes do have an interesting scene where a man sells the paintings that everyone has been fussing about for five dollars, where they were selling them for thousands of dollars. It's an extremely thought-provoking scene that really caught my eye for the analogy. But overall, The end of the film seems extremely out of place. It fell completely flat for me, which usually means I'm indifferent about how I feel.
QjDApr 2, 2019
NETFLIX, you're killing me here!! Velvet BuzzKill, this movie is 1hr53mins long, nothing happens for the first 45mins, subsequently, another stretch before anything happened again. Maybe you have to be fond of art in order to get this movie.NETFLIX, you're killing me here!! Velvet BuzzKill, this movie is 1hr53mins long, nothing happens for the first 45mins, subsequently, another stretch before anything happened again. Maybe you have to be fond of art in order to get this movie. One of the most anticlimactic movies I've watched this year. Yes, they sell it well with the trailers and the cast, they get you all fired up for a good film and NOTHING. Expand