FUNimation Entertainment | Release Date: April 7, 2017
9.0
Universal acclaim based on 599 Ratings
Watch Now
ACGNerdDec 27, 2016
Thank you, Makoto. Absolutely stunning and beautiful. The story grabs my heart like nothing else and left an impact on me for months now. No other anime film even came close to this one story-wise and tempo-wise. A must see, me myself don'tThank you, Makoto. Absolutely stunning and beautiful. The story grabs my heart like nothing else and left an impact on me for months now. No other anime film even came close to this one story-wise and tempo-wise. A must see, me myself don't mind going to theatre and watch it 5 times. Expand
DarthGabrielApr 6, 2017
A truly special movie that has the power to show everyone how powerful and inspiring an animated movie can be. This deserves an academy award. Go watch it, fellas. You'll not regret it.
TsukasaHiiragiApr 9, 2017
A must see for anime fans worldwide that is all you need to know. The only sad part is the limited theater release, so most will have to wait for blu-ray.
YongMunJan 27, 2017
This Movie is the BEST ONE of SHINKAI MAKOTO. His solution of so-called 'Shinkai's World' is 《YOUR NAME》. I watched all of his movie, but this movie is most perfect one in his series. Then, I want to say 'I'm so sorry' to the director. IThis Movie is the BEST ONE of SHINKAI MAKOTO. His solution of so-called 'Shinkai's World' is 《YOUR NAME》. I watched all of his movie, but this movie is most perfect one in his series. Then, I want to say 'I'm so sorry' to the director. I didn't have the slightest inkling that he is SUCH director. Expand
SquaredRenApr 11, 2017
I'm not an anime movie fan, but I saw this movie because in YouTube there were a lot of reviews about it, so I gave it a try. When I started watching it looked like a typical gender swap thing, but then it started to hit me so hard so manyI'm not an anime movie fan, but I saw this movie because in YouTube there were a lot of reviews about it, so I gave it a try. When I started watching it looked like a typical gender swap thing, but then it started to hit me so hard so many times, made my eyes teared multiple times (lost control at the ending). I couldn't believe it, felt embarrassed because of it. Overall this is a beautiful movie, give it a try, you won't ever forget the beauty of this film. Expand
gatts_77Apr 10, 2017
wow, what a journey, i like anime, all kinds, but not necessary all themes, on the "dont care at all" category are the romance ones, so sitting through the first part of the movie i was thinking ... "hu oh" with something that looked like awow, what a journey, i like anime, all kinds, but not necessary all themes, on the "dont care at all" category are the romance ones, so sitting through the first part of the movie i was thinking ... "hu oh" with something that looked like a very simple and obvious plot i could not grasp why was considered a must see movie... then the real story start unraveling and oh lord i was for a treat. the character themselves, without been anything special, fit perfectly the movie and the story, music and visuals are gorgeous, but this movie is all about the story itself and how it is told, that is definitely the standout that makes this movie different, and different in a very good way.

There is something for everyone in this movie, even i that tend to stay away from everything that is "love couple" centrist found enough here to consider it a must watch.
COOLQUINN17Mar 3, 2017
I can't believe it's been like months since i was here. Well looks like I have ALOT of catching up to do. I'll start with this. I watched this movie back in mid November. I watch anime series more than anime movies and this one was one of theI can't believe it's been like months since i was here. Well looks like I have ALOT of catching up to do. I'll start with this. I watched this movie back in mid November. I watch anime series more than anime movies and this one was one of the anime films i have watched. This was a very beautiful film to watch and while it wasn't as good as other anime movies like Sprited Away or Grave of the Fireflies, it still kept my eyes glued to the screen til the end. The visuals were so great to look at. In fact, these were the best part of this film. The characters were likable. The voice actors did a very good job potraying their characters. The story was amazing, there are some parts that are sad. I won't spoil it or anything but let's just say, it'll make your heart drop. Expand
morventhusApr 19, 2017
A bit of a slow beginning however every second of the movie maters. While it may seem clichéd at some points the entirety of this movie is pure gold. something that is super rare to come out of the anime industry at this point in time.
FFTHEWINNERMay 17, 2017
i am someone who have been watching anime for years and is a huge fan,and i picked this movie not knowing anything about it,and i just finished it and have to say that this movie is,by far,the BEST anime movie i EVER saw. its art sets a newi am someone who have been watching anime for years and is a huge fan,and i picked this movie not knowing anything about it,and i just finished it and have to say that this movie is,by far,the BEST anime movie i EVER saw. its art sets a new meaning to the word "Gorgeous",its story is truly incredible with many twists and turns that i honestly didnt see coming and was shocked,yet it all fits together and is a joy to watch. the (Japanese) voice acting is superb too. my only nitpick,and it is a small nitpick,is how the girl convinced her friends to help her(i wont explain so i wont spoil it),but even that has logical explanations if you think about it. i am astonished,and would recommend this movie to anyone who like great stories and gorgeous art,weather he is an anime fan or not. try it. you most certainly wont be disappointed :) Expand
NerdConsultantMar 24, 2017
Your Name was one of the films that I saw at the 2016 London Film Festival and it was the highlight of the festival for me. I absolutely adored this film. Director Makoto Shinkai gives us an excellent movie, that you can probably nit-pick,Your Name was one of the films that I saw at the 2016 London Film Festival and it was the highlight of the festival for me. I absolutely adored this film. Director Makoto Shinkai gives us an excellent movie, that you can probably nit-pick, but I felt the raw power and emotion in this film and you can tell that Shinkai has done a loving job crafting this film. Many people have put a lot of emphasis on the body swapping element of the film, which is very well done, but I think it also has the effect of cheapening the rest of the film which is also done brilliantly, It’s a story of love, regret, and overcoming disaster and adversity and finding the solution when it seems impossible. It’s one brilliant film and if it doesn’t get a nomination for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, I will be extremely annoyed. I’m really looking forward to whatever Makoto Shinkai brings out next since this beautiful animated film is easily his best work to date. Oh and the soundtrack released by the band The Radwimps is fantastic. It’s not currently available, but it will be soon. Please, please try to see this film, even if you’re not into anime, because I think it will surprise you Expand
loldeeznutzJan 29, 2018
Never watch anime. Watched this as a meme, came out very surprised with the amazing artwork seen in the movie. The story, although generic, kept me on my toes trying to decipher what in the world was going on.
here_and_thereJan 31, 2017
A very good movie by Makoto Shinkai. He keeps getting better. 5cm per second was good but a bit too melodramatic, here he manages to finds the perfect mix between drama, nostalgia, sadness, love to deliver a truly wonderful story. The scriptA very good movie by Makoto Shinkai. He keeps getting better. 5cm per second was good but a bit too melodramatic, here he manages to finds the perfect mix between drama, nostalgia, sadness, love to deliver a truly wonderful story. The script and the directing are clever and entertaining, never falling in the typical clichees of Japanese Anime or youth movies, except in one moment, at the very beginning, which looks like an opening of an anime series Expand
JorgeLestreJan 27, 2017
One of the most creative, beautiful and touching tributes to the anime universe. It is absolutely adorable and moving and it certainly deserves worldwide attention.
EAPyoutubeMar 24, 2017
Your Name is one of the most beautifully animated films that I have ever seen. Not only does the film manage to out do western animation by miles, but it also manages to have an amazing story with characters who are easy to release to withYour Name is one of the most beautifully animated films that I have ever seen. Not only does the film manage to out do western animation by miles, but it also manages to have an amazing story with characters who are easy to release to with both characteristics and emotions. The animation is wonderful, and looks for better than most of the generic looking CGI that Disney and Dreamworks use to death. It also doesn't force political beliefs and any forced usage of "progressive characters of colour" that most animated films are pushing these days. It's the simple lives of the characters in this world that are relatable unlike SJW disasters like Moana who push a perfect little princess character that nobody can relate with.

Simply put it, the film is great. Quit watching western animated films and watch anime films instead.
awdrifterApr 23, 2017
This is one of Shinka Makoto's best work. If you like his previous movies, definitely check this out. This is up there with Beyond the Clouds and 5cm Per Second.
Dauntless07Nov 27, 2017
Subtle and nuanced, but with the emotional weight of a sledgehammer, "Your Name" hit me so hard so many times that I was tempted to award it a 10 right away. But then, I thought I should stop to consider the complaints surrounding the film,Subtle and nuanced, but with the emotional weight of a sledgehammer, "Your Name" hit me so hard so many times that I was tempted to award it a 10 right away. But then, I thought I should stop to consider the complaints surrounding the film, and how many of them I consider to be flaws. I was also surprised to read director Makoto Shinkai personally request people stop lauding the film with blind unconditional praise, explaining there was more their team could have achieved with more time and money. After considering these things, I'm inclined to agree with him, but that won't stop me from praising the film as it is; I can definitively say this is Shinkai's best film.
...
of little shock I'm sure is the premise of Your Name. It starts out as a sort of Teen Dramady with a body switching twist, which is quite a creative way to tell a love story I must say. Even without many scenes of the two protagonists together, you start to buy into their romance nonetheless, because when you consider they have been living each other's lives, you realize they must know about each other in ways no one else does. Eventually, they naturally decide to seek each other out, and it's here the film cleverly switches genre's. To spoil this first twist would be wrong, but it's the first of many times the film really hits you in the feels. From there, much more is at stake than the simple love story, yet Your Name manages to put equal emotional weight behind an impending tragedy and the protagonists' fear of losing their newfound connection.
...
The story is solid, but it does suffer from the short run time. At some points, the director even had to resort to montages over what would have been important character development; presumably to save money. The exposition in the film is quite substantial, and while much of it is necessary, I wish there was a way for some of it to have been relayed in a more organic way. If you don't have your wits about you while you watch this film, especially as a Westerner with limited understanding of Eastern Religious beliefs, (Shinto in this case,) you're not going to hear the things you'll need to understand the film's climax and resolution. In this way, the film makes your brain work harder than a typical cinematic outing.
...
As one final flaw, the male protagonist Taki felt quite underdeveloped compared to his female counterpart Mitsuha. He had few character defining traits shown, besides a moment where his short temper shocks classmates of the normally reserved Mitsuha. His relationship with his father in particular wasn't explored at all, when it should have been. We know some things about his interests and lifestyle, but again, little that could be considered character defining. We know far more about Mitsuha as most of the screentime is about her. A more balanced development would have been better.
...
With flaws out of the way, and there weren't many, I still fully recommend this film to anyone interested in Anime. Its strengths far outweigh its problems. The animation, for one, is immaculate. It really serves to compliment the story visually, even if that story isn't as fully developed as it could be. While the pop singles were somewhat distracting due to the vocals, the soundtrack as a whole is solid. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the movie as much as watching it. I mentioned the film is emotionally heavy. Well, it's hard to explain, but imagine that feeling of loss when you risk losing someone near to you, that feeling of familiarity even though you can't specifically remember someone or something, and that teenage impulse to escape from your boring secure life and live out something more exciting. Those are the feelings this film invokes, and does so quite well. To go into more detail would take too long, so please just trust me on this.
...
Also, unlike several of the director's previous films, Your Name has a satisfying ending. I was afraid we'd be left with another "5 cm per Second" kind of ending, but am glad to report the film ends conclusively. For me, it's complete as it is; I don't want a sequel. What I really wanted then, was more out of this film. It really needed another hour to develop the characters and story further, but Shinkai can hardly be blamed for this, considering he seems to feel the same, but ran out of time and money to do so. Well, if this is what he can accomplish in a mere hour and a half, I can't wait to see what he'll achieve if given the creative freedom a larger budget would allow. Definitely keep an eye out for more films by this director. 9/10
keanexApr 9, 2018
I've never seen a movie by this studio, to be honest in terms of Japanese animation I've not seen much, mostly Ghibli. I saw that this was getting huge praise so I had to check it out. I think that the beginning was a bit confusing, but byI've never seen a movie by this studio, to be honest in terms of Japanese animation I've not seen much, mostly Ghibli. I saw that this was getting huge praise so I had to check it out. I think that the beginning was a bit confusing, but by the end I was enamored with the unique tale between two people tied together across time. It was a great movie. Expand
LeZeeApr 26, 2017
They're no strangers, yet they've never met.

They're no strangers, yet they've never met.

Probably the most anticipated anime since the final film of Mr. Miyazaki. Because people know what these guys are capable of. This is one per cent sci-fi and 99 per cent fantasy. The concept is not new for us. From 'Freaky Friday' to 'The Lake House', even the recent American television film 'The Swap', you will remember a handful of names once you read this film's synopsis. Yet the film was so good, because of how well the theme was utilised.

We all know the technical brilliance of '5 Centimeters Per Second' and the beautiful romance from 'The Garden of Words'. This is an excellent mix of those two. If love either of them, or both, then you will love it as well. But if you ask me, my favourite is still 'The Garden of Words' from this director. I liked this film, enjoyed thoroughly, so liking it less than that means not a bad flick. Surely a film to recommend for anime fans, as well as for animation's (western audience).

The story of two teenagers, one from the rural Japan mountain region and the other one from Tokyo. The plot revolves around a comet that is to pass by very close to the earth. But before that event, the girl is bored with her life, so she dreams of living in a big city and that too as a boy. One day her wish comes true when she wakes up as she swapped bodies, including most of the memories with a boy from Tokyo.

For her, it is to live as she wanted and make use of the opportunity. But for him, it is like a curse, hence becomes rebellious. This thing keeps happening frequently for days and weeks. After some times, realising the phenomena is between two, they make a deal and strict order of Dos and Don'ts while away. All this until the day of comet and everything changes forever. Searching for the truth and the result of it leads to the end of the tale.

❝Treasure the experience. Dreams fade away after you wake up.❞

Unlike Miyazaki, Makot Shinkai's storytelling is quite for the matured audience. It targets adults more than the children. Particularly for not shying away to include naturally occurring events in such situation as the story develops, despite/even though the film revolves around the teens/kids. As for this flick, the concern is not big, but it depends on the nation and its culture you belong to. It is very much acceptable and as the story progress, the best things keep replacing another till the finale. So hooked to it is assured.

The film length was good and so the pace of the narration. Well written screenplay, which was based on the book of the same name. But the director admits the inspiration from the previous flicks with similar themes. They have used the real places of the anime version with fictional names, but most of the Tokyo remains same and they all were awesome.

In many scenes, the camera panning was a treat. Especially the framerate was high, so no jerks, hence very pleasurable visual experience. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a unique film, despite not a original idea. The film proved the Japan is not overshadowed by Hollywood, particularly after the decline of animes in the recent years. It's up to the quality of the product, if so, then those glory days can be brought back for animes. Anyway, now this film holds the record for highest grossed anime.

Apart from technical dominance, the story is also enchanting. If you like romance theme, this will serve you well. A good film for date night. But usually people would skip animation for such occasion and one should not mix up that with anime. Because why I always put apart the anime and animation is, the animes are good at beautiful romance, while its counterpart from the west focus more on comedy and adventure. But the common thing from them is the well explored fantasy theme.

Usually the ends are guessable for a film like this and the same case for this in here. Only as a result of the story, you would know what's coming, but not the frame by frame scenes of it. Yeah, I liked this conclusion, the final lines said might bring you tears in your eyes, romantically, if you are an emotional person. One of the best endings, even though it was clichéd. And the credits start to roll up, while you begin to recall everything you just saw in the last 100 minutes. A must see film, so highly recommended by my side. Now I've to wait for another couple of years for such film.

Spide-May 10, 2017
I thought it was going to be a simple body swap movie, boy was i wrong. Starts off pretty light-hearted but picks up in the later half of the movie. 10/10 for me!
alejandro970Aug 6, 2017
The well- known history of switching personalities is resolved in original way, beyond of common comedy, with a correct touch of humor so as to surprise and charm the viewer, not to dissapoint. One of best of Non- Ghibli anime.
gutskuronoApr 16, 2017
magical. an anime has never let let me feeling like this in a long time. The last time was spirited away. I can't decide between this and spirited away.
I went watching the movie without knowing anything about it expect that i was hyped. I was not disappointed.
punitsri01May 5, 2017
Perhaps one of the finest movie. The last scene of the movie is something that makes you feel joyous. Even if one is not an "anime lover" then also one must watch it.
anofeMay 8, 2017
My all time favorite animated movie, and one the best anime ever created; Your Name or Kimi no Na wa is simply a must watch for anyone who enjoys animation, and if you don't enjoy animation, watch it anyways.
mrdr4gonNov 15, 2017
This beautiful film is filled with stunning art and animation, with a fantastically emotive plot capable of inducing complete elation. A complete masterpiece.
domskicute24Jan 15, 2018
Fantastically fantastical with a great plot and story-telling, breath-taking graphics and realistic scenes! I love the whole movie
LoletinAlexisJun 7, 2018
Your name. It is definitely the masterpiece of Makoto Shinkai. A great story, impeccable animation and a devastating ending to my heart and my feelings.
David2017Jan 11, 2017
For the first few minutes I did wonder if this was just going to be a typical comedic gender swap Anime, fortunately Your Name is much more than that and builds to be something memorable. The animation is so beautiful and detailed, the scoreFor the first few minutes I did wonder if this was just going to be a typical comedic gender swap Anime, fortunately Your Name is much more than that and builds to be something memorable. The animation is so beautiful and detailed, the score is wonderful and once the story really kicks in the script subtly shifts in tone from comedy/drama to melancholy. There's some obvious parallels at work here, male/female city/country but they are handled subtly and mostly tend to avoid predictability. Ultimately you'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by this. Expand
ReginthornApr 7, 2017
Your Name is a lively combination of romance, identity, and culture. I went into the film with a very little understanding of the plot’s complexities. From the trailer, I assumed Your Name would be an anime Freaky Friday love story. TheYour Name is a lively combination of romance, identity, and culture. I went into the film with a very little understanding of the plot’s complexities. From the trailer, I assumed Your Name would be an anime Freaky Friday love story. The framework of the narrative certainly fits into my initial assumption. Yet, there is a multitude of undercurrents in the film which make Your Name stand out. For starters, Your Name constantly changes themes and mood. Often, I found myself laughing and, a few minutes later, would suddenly be on the verge of tears. The movie’s eclectic flow makes for a constantly engaging experience. The Freaky Friday element is roughly half of the film’s two-hour runtime. In fact, a plot twist in the film literally took my breath away. Your Name is the rare film which combines overwhelming variety and makes everything fit organically. Through variety, the anime earns a conventional ending between protagonists, Mitsuha and Taki. While body switching is the plot's main intrigue, the film adds complexity through its exploration of Japanese culture. Japanese gender identity is explored with such a masterful hand. In subtle strokes, the viewer understands the sheer contrast in the lives of Japanese men and women. For example, a group of men have a crush on a female co-worker; Mitsuha, in Taki’s body, simply initiates conversation with the desired woman and, with ease, sets up a date. When Taki is back to normal the next day, his male coworkers all line up disgusted by his act of group betrayal. The scene effectively demonstrates the strength of the herd like quality of gender in Japan. It’s no surprise then when Taki, in Mitsuha’s body, finds such humorous wonder in the breasts he suddenly gains. A contrast can also be noticed in the struggle between the past and present. The present is Taki’s experience of Tokyo. Likewise, the past is illustrated by Mitsuha’s familial duty to her small town’s local shrine. In other words, the film merges Japanese spirituality with modern sensibilities. A desire to escape and return to the country define the film’s ecliptic take on Japan. Mitsusha is your typical country girl with a thirst for a life in the city. Meanwhile, Taki finds beauty in Mitsuha’s country town. The viewer amusingly experiences each setting (Tokyo and Itomori) through the unique lens of the protagonists. Ultimately, a comet and local god guide the distant figures into a surprising collision course. As a result, fate is sealed by the two somewhat metaphysically dissimilar sources. The forces of science and divinity augment Your Name into making the seemingly fated connection all the more plausible. The film is a testament of the “opposites attract” sentiment. In summary, the film has a real beating heart. I will end my review saying Your Name is the best looking animated film I have ever seen. The colors are always pleasingly vibrant. Additionally, all of the scenes are lovingly rendered and pulsating with life. I haven’t walked out of a theatre with such a positive perspective on life in a long time. If you live in a city, you ought to take the time to experience this anime masterpiece. Expand
joeforestJan 3, 2017
I finished watching this film literally 10 minutes ago, and it is the first film I ever reviewed on metacritic. I'm sobbing. Literally sobbing. The last time I cried like this was when my grandfather died. 10/10.
Alex23Dec 25, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Kimi No Na Wa) tells the story of two teenagers with vastly different backgrounds. One is a boy who lived in Tokyo and has the word "city" described all around him. One is a girl who lived in rural town far from technology and anything interesting. One morning, somehow, they found out that they have swapped bodies. Together, they must help each other find solution in daily life problems, and solve the mystery of the reason why this whole conundrum started.

This may sound like your typical body-swap romantic comedy situation, but you may find yourself on the wrong side of the spectrum as this movie takes you into an incredible journey. With a storytelling so divine, complex, yet understandable, this movie captures the essence of what romantic comedy movies have lost nowadays, a heart and a charm to lure you in.

Japanese animation movies tend to have a bit of a stereotype, but the movie successfully shown very little of that. Transitioning from one scene to the other effortlessly, Radwimps deserves an incredible applause for their talents in the movie, as every song and every score fits perfectly to the scene currently shown.

Although the movie does end in a predictable way, the voyage to that predictable end is more than enough to keep you satisfied. There are some usage of stock characters and several clichés throughout, something that maybe will drive some of the audiences away or cloud their judgment. But beside all that, the story is still original and well executed.

What seems to be a silly premise evolved into something even more trifling. But with its unbearable charm, it worked astonishingly well.
baconaterswaggApr 11, 2017
Oh man this was a great movie. I stayed away from all spoilers of this movie and didn't know what to expect at all. At first I thought I was watching a certain genre, then I realized "Your Name" was something much more than what I initiallyOh man this was a great movie. I stayed away from all spoilers of this movie and didn't know what to expect at all. At first I thought I was watching a certain genre, then I realized "Your Name" was something much more than what I initially thought. Its a emotional rollercoaster with stunning animation, unique and compelling plot and fleshed out characters. I would recommend this movie to everyone. Expand
filipkazmDec 27, 2016
Propably my favourite movie of 2016. I have never seen a body swap movie that took such a unique approach to the topic. It also manages to highlight the contrast between living in Tokio and living in countryside, teach a lot about japanesePropably my favourite movie of 2016. I have never seen a body swap movie that took such a unique approach to the topic. It also manages to highlight the contrast between living in Tokio and living in countryside, teach a lot about japanese traditions, have a few smart twists and tell a compelling love story. There's not a moment in this movie that felt wrong, and it could really easilly become cheesy, given the fact that this movie is about switching bodies.I love it Expand
wee3200Apr 5, 2017
Best anime film for me so far.
Great storyline and yet the pace of this film are quite fast. Some of the part relating with eastern culture could be complicated and maybe difficult to understand for western audience.
But if you love this
Best anime film for me so far.
But if you love this film, you definitely will wish to watch more than 1 time to understand further.

However, i'm strongly recommended who interesting with this film but not yet watched, try your best to avoid spoiler, this film can still be enjoyable for who already know the whole story. But the feel of knowing the whole or know nothing when watching this film has a huge different.
43in2014Dec 30, 2016
Related media: This Japanese anime film is based on the manga of the same name, but I haven’t read it. >
What's it like?: A comet passes over Japan and the lives of two people are inexplicably linked while a disaster impends. It is like a cross of two film tropes, the first being body-swapping between two people, seen in films such as Freaky Friday and Like Father Like Son, while the second trope is a spoiler. ### Move to the next paragraph now to skip this spoiler. ### The second trope is seen in a Korean film called Il Mare and its American remake called Lake House.
Pros:
1. The concept of the film is rather complex as it merges Japanese culture and its beliefs with the tropes of body-swapping and one other sci-fi trope that is a spoiler. As a result, it is a film that requires a bit of attention. However, the reward at the end is well worth it. If you are into those three elements, then you’ll love this film. However, see Cons #1.
2. I saw the American animated film, Sing, a day after watching this. The gulf in the complexity of the artwork is immense. For example, for a tree, you will see the outlines of the tree, the branches and the trunk in Sing, while the same tree in Your Name has individual leaves. Imagine the effort required to hand draw these. Imagine the effort required to animate them when there is wind! Everything is so beautifully drawn!
3. The use of the second trope in the middle of the film elevates this film from an average-good film to a good-excellent film.
4. Comedic elements covering childhood fantasies, high school angst and dating difficulties were used throughout the film to make this a partial comedy. They are very well done and they break the language barrier for the international audience.
Cons: >
1. The complexity of this film makes it harder for younger children or older adults to understand it fully.
2. The major problem close to end of the film was solved with a dues ex machina that was not properly explained. It need not be that way.
How would the different age groups rate it?
Children: Good
Teenagers: Excellent
Young adults: Excellent
Medium age adults: Excellent
Old adults: Good.
My rating: 5/5 (no half scores). It's worth it to watch it in the cinemas and then buy the DVDs.
HammelApr 9, 2017
I loved the movie. The two main characters are relate-able aswell. The plot is complex and can be a bit confusing at time. However I think that's one of the best part of it.
However, I do think the key point of this movie is to play with your
However, I do think the key point of this movie is to play with your emotions which it did pretty well to me.
I really recoment watching it.
Iky009Mar 2, 2017
What I expected from this movie, I really was fascinated by what I watched, impressive in every way, Makoto Shinkai is a genius in creating a relaxed, unpretentious and fun beginning, and the middle of the end shaping to a more serious, dramatic and Exciting, and ushering in an astoundingly incredible catastrophe.
Really Kimi in Na Wa is one of his best films, and of course one of the best of the year, surprised me.
badgerryan19Nov 15, 2017
Incredible! One of the best movies I've ever seen. The movie has fantastic animation, and the characters are so captivating and the story is out of this world. The movie tugs on your heartstrings and chooses great moments for you to laugh andIncredible! One of the best movies I've ever seen. The movie has fantastic animation, and the characters are so captivating and the story is out of this world. The movie tugs on your heartstrings and chooses great moments for you to laugh and to cry. It is an emotional roller coaster and fantastic music to go along with it. A must watch for any movie fan. Expand
TrevorsViewApr 14, 2017
Best Qualities:

Gender Equality Film Editing Depiction of Teen Living Direction of Screen Worst Quality: Portrayal of their Deity Your Name. is a heartbreaking love story that feels like exactly the type of story Freaky Friday needed to
Best Qualities:

Gender Equality
Film Editing
Depiction of Teen Living
Direction of Screen

Worst Quality:

Portrayal of their Deity

Your Name. is a heartbreaking love story that feels like exactly the type of story Freaky Friday needed to be, with a bit of Groundhog Day mixed in. The sudden plot twists balanced with some really funny moments will make you earn for more, as you quickly become so well acquainted by the two main leads. You do not need to be a fan of anime to be moved to tears by this gorgeous motion picture, this is the type of animated drama that will appeal to all.
TVJerryApr 10, 2017
Two high school students change bodies: a boy in Tokyo and a girl in the country. It happens randomly, but they manage to communicate and begin to establish a bond. Even though this import (dubbed in English) is animated, it could have easilyTwo high school students change bodies: a boy in Tokyo and a girl in the country. It happens randomly, but they manage to communicate and begin to establish a bond. Even though this import (dubbed in English) is animated, it could have easily been a live action film. Except for the sci-fi elements, the subject and treatment could be played out with real people, which might have made it more emotionally compelling. This film isn't really about dazzling animation either: The characters aren't rendered with much depth and there's not much visual imagination, except for the landscapes, which are gorgeous. As a matter of fact, there's not a lot about the film that's exceptional. It'll be most appreciated by fans of the novel or Japanese animation. Expand
Eclaire9Apr 6, 2017
I don't understand the hype that this movie got. I expected way too much maybe? But I don't see it as something special or some movie that I would rave about.
PrimeCOApr 29, 2018
Overrated to boot, Your Name doesn't deserve all this praise, let alone a f**king 9! It's a clichéd sappy love story with forgettable chaacters. The nice animation 's all that makes this remotely watchabls, but that cannot keep me entertainedOverrated to boot, Your Name doesn't deserve all this praise, let alone a f**king 9! It's a clichéd sappy love story with forgettable chaacters. The nice animation 's all that makes this remotely watchabls, but that cannot keep me entertained when everything else doesn't! This don't deserve a 9, now would anyone whosees this, PLEASE STOP OVER RATING THIS MOVIE! Expand
jagxjr15Apr 11, 2017
An overly complex mess with a formulaic ending. There is too much pompous dialog and too much wide-eyed, cloying 'innocence'-mongering, and after all, what is the purpose? Pseudo-profundity in spades, but the characters are one-dimensionalAn overly complex mess with a formulaic ending. There is too much pompous dialog and too much wide-eyed, cloying 'innocence'-mongering, and after all, what is the purpose? Pseudo-profundity in spades, but the characters are one-dimensional and flat just like their animated representations. If you expect to be entertained by this, save your money and stay home or leave the theater feeling cheated. Cartoons used to be fun, but don't expect any laughs or even much content of any kind from this. It's all too self-conscious and too precious for that. Expand
antiyournameJun 18, 2017
I don't get it. What does the film descript in the first minutes? The movie is impossible, doesn't have a good humanistic thought as A silent Voice. I don't like this movie at all
IRAQ_LightoFeb 12, 2018
....................overrated............................................................................................
jimmy_dancerMay 15, 2017
Your Name is breathtaking. The story is not what sets this movie aside but the interactions between the characters are downright amazing. The story telling that emerges from the visuals and dialogue will stay with you. I also really enjoyedYour Name is breathtaking. The story is not what sets this movie aside but the interactions between the characters are downright amazing. The story telling that emerges from the visuals and dialogue will stay with you. I also really enjoyed the dissection of Japanese gender roles. I think this has been my favourite movie for a long time. Expand
dubbx767May 2, 2017
This was simply a breath taking movie, much like Shinkai's other works, the amount of effort put into the visuals and the characters is just incredible. "Your Name" tells a heartfelt story of love and loss; much like Shinkai's earlier work,This was simply a breath taking movie, much like Shinkai's other works, the amount of effort put into the visuals and the characters is just incredible. "Your Name" tells a heartfelt story of love and loss; much like Shinkai's earlier work, "5 Centimeters Per Second." If you like romance, comedy, deep characters, or good visuals, I highly recommend this film, as it's a masterpiece, and arguably better than films such as "Spirited Away" and Wolf Children. 10/10 Expand
drone41Feb 8, 2018
Movie has an interesting plot, but i found it so predictable and so trivial in the end. Also great animation, but that's all of greatness here.
RONSOAug 23, 2018
A really disappointing animation by Shinkai Makoto. I used to love his work like "5 Centimeters Per Second" but this time he created a mass of kitsch. Yes the animation is beautiful but it can't tell the story. "Your Name." is just a badA really disappointing animation by Shinkai Makoto. I used to love his work like "5 Centimeters Per Second" but this time he created a mass of kitsch. Yes the animation is beautiful but it can't tell the story. "Your Name." is just a bad taste anime to entertain the audience, and show how Makoto lost his own vision and style to made a popular popcorn movie (like Michael Bay did). The thing I can't stand the most is how the people keep hyping this movie (even Makoto told people do not go to the theater watch this movie). The main characters are empty. They didn't have a real interaction, I cannot understand why the people think this is emotional. Okay maybe the emotion doesn't really need to be rational but I hardly feel the characters' mind. At the end, the story cannot express any feeling (the music is not suitable for the mood too).

In conclude, the whole anime is disappointing. The reason is not about how bad it is, it's about how Makoto fail to be an artist, and a stylist he could be.
Surg3onJun 20, 2018
devanshu257Sep 7, 2017
"Your name" is a visually remarkable tale of boy and girl relationship under influence of the comet however it sometimes feel like overstuffed and too fast, it is emotionally paid off.
Meth-dudeMar 11, 2019
Your Name is a future classic. With breathtaking animation, great acting performances, an interesting and original story, heartfelt moments and a wonderful soundtrack, it is by far one of the best anime movies I've seen.
SpiRoMay 7, 2018
Fascinating. Stunning. Magnificent. Beautiful. Sublime. Wonderful. Astounding. Splendid. Breathtaking. Remarkable. Spectacular. Astonishing. Marvelous.
shumpcMar 7, 2018
Heartfelt and funny. Beautifully animated. The lighting in particular was exquisite. Hollywood should take note for it's live action movies for it's pacing and those quite moments which make it just as memorable as it's fantastic story.
meltdownmonkJun 16, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't think of any anime movie I've seen that had a better combination of animation and story quality. The tension I felt at the end of the movie, and the emotional release at the end felt epic. The movie kept building up, and while I agree that Makoto Shinkai might have been able to make this movie even better, I still give this film a 10. His only competition in trying to make a better movie would be himself. I'm sure there are some that may not enjoy the subject matter, or may not like the concept, but I thought this was beautiful, awesome combination of some of my favorite plot devices/situations - one of them being two people swapping bodies, but it really got crazy as the film kept going. I think this one is worth watching more than once. 3 movies I watched years ago had elements which were recaptured and reused in Your Name. Freaky Friday (which really doesn't have much else in common except two people's minds switching bodies). The Lake House, which involves two people communicating with each other but never meetings and (major spoiler) communicating between different time periods. And Memento - which takes some re-watches because it's presented out of chronological order, or in a non standard order of events, and also involves writing things down in places so you can remember, and forgetting things very quickly. I loved all these elements of Your Name. It also have a gigantic, and devastating explosion, feels like every movie could use at least one, for dramatic effect. The movie had humor, it had romance, it brings a sense of longing, it had some great music, and amazing animation, both the character animation, the camera/motion effects, the scenery. I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki movies, and for a very long time Studio Ghibli was my gold standard of anime, it's the best of the best quality. Makoto Shinkai has impressed me time and time again and this was the absolute best I've seen from him. Fantastic movie. And he, in my mind, is standing alongside Miyazaki in greatness. Expand
decourcyAug 21, 2018
Simply amazing, the film work was amazing. No spoilers, but the scene on the lip of the crater is maybe my favorite scene in a movie ever.
FuturedirectorAug 2, 2017
Unforgettable, wonderfully animated and surprisingly thrilling, Your Name's breathtaking essence easily proves that Makoto Shinkai's great filmography gets even better every time.
nestoryavithMay 18, 2018
This is my first Makoto Shinkai anime ever to watch. Emotional, compelling, beautiful and epic. This is perfection at its finest. It's gripped me in this world that I wish could go on forever. This is a must see for everyone. This isThis is my first Makoto Shinkai anime ever to watch. Emotional, compelling, beautiful and epic. This is perfection at its finest. It's gripped me in this world that I wish could go on forever. This is a must see for everyone. This is something you don't wanna miss and if you do, trust me, you'll miss out on one of the best stories ever made. I have to go see his others just to see how he arrived to this amazing type of story telling. Expand
Dante_QuatreviJan 15, 2017
J'ai vu 5 Centimeters Per Second de Makoto Shinkai

J'ai vu 5 Centimeters Per Second de Makoto Shinkai

Le buzz de Your Name, son dernier film sorti en 2016 et l'effet médiatique qu'il a généré en France m'a porté à m'intéresser à ce réalisateur. Le "nouveau Miyazaki" sortit de nulle part alors que les animes sont en général peu médiatisés et réservé à un public de niche, devait être probablement incroyable pour prétendre à sa succession et débouler de la sorte en France. Your Name était magnifique mais pas dénué d'erreurs. J'ai donc vu son deuxième meilleur film 5 Centimeters Per Second qui n'est même pas référencé sur Metacritic (pour le nouveau Miyazaki c'est quand même un comble...). Ce film, scindé en 3 actes, raconte l'histoire d'un garçon, Tataki, pendant trois périodes de sa jeunesse. Au début, il lie une amitié très forte avec une fille Akari avec qui il entretiendra une relation épistolaire très entretenue. Le développement du film raconte alors leur éloignement progressif pour toutes les raisons de la vie pour finir sur une downer-ending. Pour un anime, je me dois de parler de la forme en premier puis nous aborderons le fond. L'animation est magnifique. Celle de Your Name était bluffante et probablement une des meilleures mais on sent déjà cette patte dans 5 Centimeters Per Second pourtant sorti en 2007. C'est une animation généreuse avec beaucoup de plans larges très contemplatifs où on peut perdre nos pensées dans les campagnes et les paysages urbains japonais. Les dessins ne sont pas particulièrement détaillés ou complexes mais sont foisonnant et riches. Petit point négatif pour les personnages qui étaient quand même parfois étrangement dessinés. Globalement on sent vraiment la volonté du réalisateur de montrer le Japon dans tous ses états. Ces deux films presque "carte postale" montrent le territoire nippon de jour, de nuit, au crépuscule, à la ville, à la campagne, à toutes les saisons etc. D'ailleurs les personnages sont relativement peu à l'écran et cela nous donne la sensation que nous regardons nous même ces paysages. Les personnages ne sont en réalité pas très importants dans le film. Une pensée pour la musique tout aussi magnifique et composée pour le film. Les dessins et le montage se synchronisent à la musique et cela donne au film une sincérité bienveillante qui donne envie de plonger dedans. Your Name continuera dans cette lignée. A présent parlons du fond. Je n'ai pas aimé 5 Centimeters per Second.
Le premier chapitre est étonnamment le plus réussi et le plus beau. Les deux suivants ne sont que des prolongements bancales et mal venus qui sont relativement ennuyeux. Je ne comprends vraiment pas comment ce film reçu de si bonnes critiques (peut-être l'animation a bluffé tout le monde). Un film normalement constitué crée de la tension et de l'attachement aux personnages et à son univers pour que nous nous sentions impliqués dans l'histoire et les péripéties. Le dénouement sera le moment où le spectateur sera le plus impliqué. Ici, paradoxalement, je fus charmé pendant la première partie, la deuxième m'ennuya et la dernière était tout simplement mauvaise. J'ai beaucoup aimé l'introduction et je fus particulièrement impressionné par la vitesse à laquelle le film arrive à nous faire comprendre les enjeux et la situation des personnages. Cette relation épistolaire complexe se déroule parfaitement devant nous si bien qu'au bout de 15 minutes, quand les personnages vont se rencontrer, nous sommes aspirés et séduis par ce petit couple que l'on à l'impression d'avoir vu grandir. Les deux autres parties manquent d'enjeux et d'intérêt. Je n'ai toujours pas compris la véritable raison de leur existence. Je comprends que le réalisateur voulait nous décrire l'éloignement et comment la vie sépare deux humains qui avaient créé entre eux quelque chose de magnifique. Mais la manière dont il a essayé de nous faire ressentir cela est juste mauvaise et fade. Je suis particulièrement sensible aux belles histoires d'amour et d'amitié que ce soit dans les jeux vidéo ou au cinéma et j'ai rarement senti qu'une oeuvre était "tire-larme". Mais ici, les deux dernières parties (surtout la troisième) étaient clairement dans ce registre. Je garderai chaudement le souvenir de cette première partie qui est définitivement une petite capsule poétique et douce où le spectateur devient le témoin invisible d'un amour impossible entre deux enfants japonais avec la vie et ses obstacles devant eux. Vous ai-je dit qu'il y avait une lune géante dans le film ? Elle ne sert à rien.

Ma note pour 5 Centimeters Per second : 5/10
NerdEnt_NetJan 19, 2017
Excerpt from Nerdent"dot"Net: This movie really helped to give a creative spin in blending romance and supernatural genre together. It wasn’t a typical boy meets girl, they actually played with that trope a lot with this film along withExcerpt from Nerdent"dot"Net: This movie really helped to give a creative spin in blending romance and supernatural genre together. It wasn’t a typical boy meets girl, they actually played with that trope a lot with this film along with successfully managing to mess with the audience’s perception of events. This movie has a lot of aspects to draw people in. Kimi no Na wa has romance, supernatural elements, some time travel. They all come together to give a very impactful and interesting story. The movie doesn’t drown on too long and doesn’t grow boring. The movie opens up immediately into the plot which causes viewers to question what is going on causing them to become engaged in the story and wonder where all the plot points are going. I highly recommend checking this movie out as I believe it has a little bit of something for everyone. Interesting plot development, good character dynamics, and a heartwarming story. Funimation has announced that Kimi no Na wa(aka Your Name) will be released in North American Theaters on April 7th, 2017. The film already premiered in 2016 at Anime Expo in Los Angeles. I believe this is where I will take my leave folks. As always, I am The Gentleman Snark, SEE YA!! Expand
zerosoftApr 12, 2017
This movie was fantastic, the typical confusion in the beginning for the anime where each character doesn't realize what is going. As the story progresses, you begin to feel for each character and you want to see where this goes. All in allThis movie was fantastic, the typical confusion in the beginning for the anime where each character doesn't realize what is going. As the story progresses, you begin to feel for each character and you want to see where this goes. All in all for a non action anime, this movie is fantastic. Expand
albertoxd987Apr 16, 2017
esta película es una preciosidad, es fantástica, el doblaje es excelente, la verdad la he disfrutado un montón y la he visto dos veces, la primera en español y la segunda en japones, sin duda alguna la mejor película de anime que he visto.
asenguptaDec 2, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was beautiful, and romantically satisfying. Though I can't help but feel that the "evacuate the town" plot was somehow contrived, I didn't quite believe that it could happen, I was willing to go along to see everyone saved. Expand
sammyanthonyAug 10, 2017
I felt some kind of adrenaline even though it's not an action film. Emotionally touching. Both roles were played very well ;and the theme of the film was solid and original.
ChristianAnimeAug 26, 2017
This whole movie was one of the best rides it can give to any anime fan, or even to non-Anime fans. Its a Must see for everyone and the whole story is pretty huge for a single viewing, so I would recommend to see it more than once to fullyThis whole movie was one of the best rides it can give to any anime fan, or even to non-Anime fans. Its a Must see for everyone and the whole story is pretty huge for a single viewing, so I would recommend to see it more than once to fully understand it's concept. Expand
morphus97Nov 8, 2017
This movie is insuperable !! It plays with two fantasy layers: the first one is the swap of identities and it seems so incredible the very first minutes of the film, but shortly after it seems normal.. so normal that this normality is brokenThis movie is insuperable !! It plays with two fantasy layers: the first one is the swap of identities and it seems so incredible the very first minutes of the film, but shortly after it seems normal.. so normal that this normality is broken by the second fantasy layer: the time shift. This movie is touching , because the feeling of love is anxiously valued and so vivid ! I recommend this little little pearl with all my heart Expand
XxsonicshinobiXJul 23, 2018
You fricking did it again Makoto. you made me like a movie that you put out. To be far this movie is flawed to all hell but it was a perfect movie for the uter **** 2016 was
ravebrainNov 23, 2017
this movie is truly special no other film has managed to draw me in and hold me fast to the story in such a way as this. by the end of the film it took a few minutes to snap back to the real world even now after watching it i do not quitethis movie is truly special no other film has managed to draw me in and hold me fast to the story in such a way as this. by the end of the film it took a few minutes to snap back to the real world even now after watching it i do not quite think i am fully back here in this world the film sucks you in and throws you into the world of these two characters and by the time it is done you have trouble leaving it behind the memory of this film will never leave me it is truly a one of a kind film deserving of as many accolades as can be bestowed unto it i only hope this film shows the world just what japanese animation can really be not just epic fight scenes like that of naruto or dragon ball z but a truly heart felt experience that reaches to the very core of your humanity and pulls your very sole into the film Expand
CryZZtalJan 21, 2018
Some of the best animation ever, an amazing soundtrack and a carefully crafted story filled with amazing characters make this movie one of the best animated movies ever. A masterpiece.
TeekesselchenDec 31, 2017
A boy and a girl switch bodies - perhaps a somewhat cheesy premise, but Your Name gets every bit of mileage from it and more.

Albeit a romantic drama, the movie does an excellent job at easing you in with the natural comedy of the situation. The protagonists' reactions are so lovely that they grew on me in no time.
Your Name's pacing does an excellent job at this - it gives the characters and (almost as prominent) sets enough time to fully develop, but also drives breathtaking action. Combined with the gorgeous soundtrack and brilliantly used nonlinear narration, it keeps both heart and mind engaged. The stunning visuals do the rest. And of course, at some point it will hit you right in the heart.

While some parts around the middle may appear a little contrived, and the mixing time lines can create some momentary confusion, the clarification and payoff always come in due time.

Your Name musters all the strengths of anime as a medium, and their makers expertise. Now, Tearjerkers like this will always have to justify themselves against accusations of being formulaic, as romance writers (especially in the anime industry) have all too much experience manipulating our emotions. But Your Name manages to always throw a little extra in there, and executes everything with breathtaking perfection. In a movie year where so many seemed to stumble even over the basics, it is good to see a movie that just does things so right. In a time where CGI has blurred the characters of Hollywood productions into one, it is fulfilling to see such wonderful art. Your Name was my movie of the year before I was even half way through, and only grew from there.
GuetguetLeBGJan 2, 2018
Un des meilleurs film d'animation jamais réalisés.
Un des meilleurs film d'animation jamais réalisés.
La direction artistique est sublime, les couleurs sont pures et étincelantes, mais ce qui prend le plus est sans doute le récit du film, qu'on ne peut assimiler sans l'avoir vu 2, 3, 4 fois.. chose que j'ai bien évidemment faite.
En bref, si vous voulez une claque visuelle, un récit qui vous emporte loin de votre lit douillet d'où vous regardez ce chef-d'oeuvre, si vous voulez vivre des sensations enfouies depuis très, mais alors très longtemps, sautez sur cet oeuvre magnifique au plus vite.
Mention particulière pour les musiques qui sont, d'une part, très bien réalisées, et d'autre part insérée à la perfection pour nous entrainer d'autant plus dans cette histoire qui paye à être partagée au plus grand nombre.
A voir et à revoir (10/10).
AdenceJan 4, 2018
Just watched it for the first time, one of my all time favourites already!!
DreamMakersJan 15, 2018
Your name

O filme conta com uma historia incrível, totalmente original, com animações e trilha sonora de cair o queixo, não tinha como dar errado...

Simplesmente Maravilhoso
Loaf_May 1, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Damn, now this video hit at least 40 mil, I'm so glad this movie got recognized for its fame, and for it being the movie to beat Spirited Away. I did watch that movie as well, mainly for its music and for the scenes and ending. Now, for Kimi No Nawa, it illustrates how we feel on certain things in life, how will never see that person, or wanting to see that person. That really goes on saying that these certain movies can touch on our hearts, but no one can really see this. Cause most people in the world don't have our tastes, some do, but not at this extent. But mostly, Your Name goes on to keep us watching over and over, and to appreciate it's style of writing and pleasure. Even though Makoto Shinkai couldn't handle the praise of his own movie, he has to understand that we relate to this kind of situation, and some of use knows how we feel when we knew somebody, but never got to talk or see to that person again. Shinkai really shows everything in his mind on what he imagines. I want to do that myself when I get into that kind of work for my story, but when making a story/storyline, you have to Brainstorm for hours on end on what goes here and there, and having to lay out characters for certain events. Shinkai did great, he warmed my heart from this movie, and gave me chills, especially with the colorful and vibrant environments in this film, I wish he realized his achievement, and stopped doubting himself, why don't people just accept the fact they've achieved something great or accept the fact they have to do this or that, and put everything you have into it, you don't have to give up on something hard or not worth doing,. But the point is that this film is gorgeous, and my hands hurts from typing so much, 10/10, love it forever! Expand
Gold-kunMay 19, 2018
It's JUST BEAUTIFUL, Kimi No Na Wa has Amazing Feelings. Kimi No Na Wa took My Kokoro.
Nazario08Aug 29, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Saga Das Músicas Blog) Dentro do que é proposto e descrito no filme, conseguimos entender qual é a mensagem a ser passada, mas ainda sim não é explicado se Mitsuha e Taki trocam e corpo ao mesmo tempo, ou o que está causando tais fenômenos. Além disso, nada explica a perda de memória deles, que está diretamente atrelada ao título da obra. Ainda sim é uma ótima opção para quem procura uma história mais original e romantica ao mesmo tempo. Expand
AnnyunJul 3, 2018
The movie has really good animation and the concept used is something everyone has wondered about at some point in their life but not many films have been made on it. This movie has combined science fiction and romance in a very beautifulThe movie has really good animation and the concept used is something everyone has wondered about at some point in their life but not many films have been made on it. This movie has combined science fiction and romance in a very beautiful way. You are going to love this movie if you are an anime fan. If you are not an anime fan, you are going to like it anyway. Expand
ReneatorFeb 10, 2019
A Really beautiful movie, that touches the heart, the finesse and details in the visuals show the love that went into this movie.
benjjermanAug 31, 2018
THREE REASONS THIS IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL FILM: 1. QUALITY OF ANIMATION/CINEMATOGRAPHY
2. EMOTIONAL IMPACT AND PLOT TWISTS
3. ATTENTION TO DETAIL 1. QUALITY OF ANIMATION/CINEMATOGRAPHY – I cannot remember the last time I gasped at how beautiful
2. EMOTIONAL IMPACT AND PLOT TWISTS
3. ATTENTION TO DETAIL

1. QUALITY OF ANIMATION/CINEMATOGRAPHY – I cannot remember the last time I gasped at how beautiful the background art was in a film. Some scenes are downright amazing to look at and left me with the feeling of awe.

2. EMOTIONAL IMPACT AND PLOT TWISTS – Starts off as a funny romantic comedy then unexpected plot twists move the film and audience into such deep emotions of deep, painful longing, abandonment, hope and love. I was moved to tears. You do need to suspend your disbelief on a few things. 3. ATTENTION TO DETAIL – I am astounded at how every little detail all ties together in the end. The plot was so complex and yet, when I watched it a second time, I saw so many clues and signs that hinted at the dramatic changes. Incredible attention to detail. If there’s any fault to the movie, it is a lack of story with Taki’s character who probably deserved a little more screen time on his history. I thought the ending also took too long to resolve. I don’t want to spoil it so I’ll just leave it at that. Such amazing and moving story telling. One of my favorite films of all time.
Vectis99Oct 18, 2018
A pretty and sort of cute movie. I was notably distracted by the intensely hetero-normative plot-line which I didn't find especially interesting. There was also a vaguely, blindly traditionalist sentiment expressed, especially early on in theA pretty and sort of cute movie. I was notably distracted by the intensely hetero-normative plot-line which I didn't find especially interesting. There was also a vaguely, blindly traditionalist sentiment expressed, especially early on in the film, which left a bad and aggravating taste in my mouth. Expand
TonnakoNov 11, 2018
Incredibly beautiful and emotional film. After him, Makoto Sinkay's can be called the Miyazaki receiver, this film is ideal for family viewing, like "Spirited Away" or "My neighbor Totoro".
Bokoblin97Mar 22, 2019
Your Name is absolutely breathtaking. In the first hour of the film I was thinking in the gorgeous animation and the good music but the plot wasn't anything special. However, when something happens the film completely earn my attention and iYour Name is absolutely breathtaking. In the first hour of the film I was thinking in the gorgeous animation and the good music but the plot wasn't anything special. However, when something happens the film completely earn my attention and i was absorbed by the film. It's amazing how well the director tell his story and describe the characters, you totally empathize with them. In conclusion, one of the most beautiful movies i have ever seen Expand
LarryfartwottLeFeb 24, 2019
I went into this film with sky high expectations due to the masive hype and some people claiming it even surpassed Spirited Away, and seeing Makoto Shinkai as the director, as The Garden Of Words was so amazing.
However all my expectations
However all my expectations were surpassed. Your name is easily a modern classic among films generally, not just in the anime genre. Easy 10/10.
SahibKumarBalaJul 20, 2019
best anime movie ever .....................................................
Erza_ScarletMar 22, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was enjoying the movie so much! It's was outstanding! The characters were spectacular and perfect in their own ways. The emotions this movie can you feel is unbelievable! The graphics and animations were spot on and smooth. The characters voices fitted them perfectly! I was loving it so much and hoping the movie would end perfectly with the typical happy ending where they'd remember each other, just to make my night. But of course, in a realistic setting that fitted the characters relationship and personality. However, I reached the ending and I couldn't be any less disappointed. It basically left me on a cliffhanger that I knew would never continue. Very, very slim chance! The fact that the two main characters had finished off the movie seeing each other, passing a few times making my heart drop every time at the chance of the movie ending with them not saying anything at all. BUT they did speak! ENDING IT WITHOUT FINISHING THEIR SENTENCE! And the fact that I knew it was a slim to no chance at all that there'd be a part two made me even more devastated. The two characters saying "Your name is..." and having the view moving towards the sky and ending there made me angry, annoyed, sad and devastated. However, other than that the movie was amazing and 10/10 would highly recommend this movie, that is if you aren't as sensitive about movie endings like I am. It was a great movie and I enjoyed it while it lasted! I hope to see a part two in the future, although it's very unlikely. Expand
ZordRJul 5, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The greatest anime of romance type with beautiful, realistic art. Touching story between a boy and a girl who tend to find each other after the strange happenings between them which made them grow closer and closer and on liking on each other.
Gosh that last minute of this movie. Thank you for that ending. Or else it would be cruelly terrible.