6.3

Buy Now
Buy on

Review this album

1. May 27, 2015
    Cherry Bomb is a weird album. Tyler has always been a weird musician (and person) but this album is Tyler's weirdness at its peak. What's not weird about this album? Tyler's singing (something he's always wanted to do but never attempted it much before on his previous albums) to his high-pitched vocals (again, something that he's never really done on his previous albums, or on ANY album,Cherry Bomb is a weird album. Tyler has always been a weird musician (and person) but this album is Tyler's weirdness at its peak. What's not weird about this album? Tyler's singing (something he's always wanted to do but never attempted it much before on his previous albums) to his high-pitched vocals (again, something that he's never really done on his previous albums, or on ANY album, this commonly) to the excessive mixing are all some of the weirdest things I've ever experienced in musical history. And this weirdness of his is original and good (except for the excessive mixing). The main problem with Cherry Bomb, however, is how well this album could be divided into four separate EPs. There have been many albums that contain a diverse musical style (MBDTF comes to mind) but most of them have been able to tie the songs together well. This album, however, does the opposite of that. How is it possible to believe that "Deathcamp", "Find Your Wings" and "Cherry Bomb" are on the same album? Tyler is trying to be creative with his neo-soul/N.E.R.D./high vocals/distorted songs, which he is, but it's ultimately ruined by how the songs don't flow together. There are a few skits but they are just random. His production has been great on his previous albums, and Tyler, the Creator has never been very lyrical, but songs like "Find Your Wings" simply have a lack of lyrics and songs like "Cherry Bomb" leave listeners skeptical about what the beat is actually supposed to sound like, and most importantly what Tyler is saying. Overall, if you can accept the fact that Tyler is weird, you won't hate this album but if you limit your listening to a few artists, you will hate this album. Grade: B-. Highlights: "Deathcamp", "Run" (I actually like this one, believe it or not), "The Brown Stains of Darkeese Latifah Part 6-12 (Remix)", "Smuckers". Worst songs: "Cherry Bomb", "Find Your Wings" Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2015
    Certainly some interesting stuff in this album. There were a few tracks that I liked a lot, like Find Your Wings, 2Seater, Smuckers and Buffalo (My favorite). I guess my biggest issue with it is the bad production in some songs (on purpose or not, doesn't matter), the title song, Cherry Bomb, isn't so bad in its essence, but its noisy production ruined what could have been a good song.Certainly some interesting stuff in this album. There were a few tracks that I liked a lot, like Find Your Wings, 2Seater, Smuckers and Buffalo (My favorite). I guess my biggest issue with it is the bad production in some songs (on purpose or not, doesn't matter), the title song, Cherry Bomb, isn't so bad in its essence, but its noisy production ruined what could have been a good song.

Nonetheless, the album as a whole can be pretty enjoyable. (Especially if you don't mind some noise and distortion)
  3. Apr 18, 2015
    The thing about me not really liking this album is the production. Tyler's voice is mixed so badly, you could barely make out what he's saying. Another thing that turned me away is the sounds in the album. Tyler seems to be throwing random collages of soundscapes and genres from heavy metal to r&b throughout the whole. Apart from the lyrics, this album is messy, hectic and all over theThe thing about me not really liking this album is the production. Tyler's voice is mixed so badly, you could barely make out what he's saying. Another thing that turned me away is the sounds in the album. Tyler seems to be throwing random collages of soundscapes and genres from heavy metal to r&b throughout the whole. Apart from the lyrics, this album is messy, hectic and all over the place. I would however, give him credit to the fact that he's trying something new like he always does but Tyler could just work out better with another Wolf or something. Just saying... Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2015
    1st reaction was "Jesus Christ my ears are bleeding Tyler why would you do this", but the more that I listen to it the more that it is growing on me. It is still absolute **** compared to Wolf and Goblin, but the few tracks that shine on this album do shine very brightly.
  5. Apr 19, 2015
    Don't get me wrong, there are some really great tracks on Cherry Bomb; in my personal opinion the best parts of the album are when Tyler's production gets a key role (2seater, perfect have a lovely jazz influenced sound), but i think his lyrics really lack any substance. At first listen I really thought that it was a stellar effort but the depth isn't there, the lyrics tend not to inspireDon't get me wrong, there are some really great tracks on Cherry Bomb; in my personal opinion the best parts of the album are when Tyler's production gets a key role (2seater, perfect have a lovely jazz influenced sound), but i think his lyrics really lack any substance. At first listen I really thought that it was a stellar effort but the depth isn't there, the lyrics tend not to inspire - comparing it to some other rap artists' albums which have came out recently it's a bit timid. Fair play to him because he is so original and his production is so unique. It's not a bad album but hardly groundbreaking.
    (also thank you tyler for sparing your album this time of your friends jasper + taco)
  6. Apr 15, 2015
    Cherry Bomb was precisely what I feared it would be, a cluster of great tracks which illustrate Tyler's musical talent, and duds which present themselves as contrived rebellion against the industry... or something.

The album opens with the intense, guitar-heavy and brilliant "Deathcamp" where Tyler's N.E.R.D. worship is unsubtle indeed, followed by the equally creative and enjoyable "Buffalo", where Tyler's personality and abilities as a producer shine through. "Find Your Wings" conveys a rather unfamiliar side of Tyler as a song-maker, its smooth, relaxed nature being totally contrasted by the following cut, the dire title track. The second half of the LP features standouts in the beautifully arranged "2Seater", as well as "Smuckers" where he collaborates with heavyweights Kanye West and Lil Wayne to great effect. Also appearing is the statutory rape paranoia anecdote "F-ing Young/Perfect", in which a great hook and excellent production is slightly let down by some rather lazy lyricism (awkward genital related bars etc.). Overall I cannot see this being seen in retrospect as Tyler's strongest effort by any means.
  7. Apr 21, 2015
    Tyler, The Creator may have matured, but he brash hardcore in your face styling of his music hasn't. Building on thoughtful and provoking large ideas, Tyler fails to see most of them through and in the end Cherry Bomb is an ultimate flop that feels like a derivative of anyone of Tyler's idols.
  8. Apr 15, 2015
    I appreciate Tyler trying some new things on this but in my opinion it just isn't a solid project throughout with songs like Run and keep da o's weighing the album down however I do like some of the production on this (Deathcamp, the brown stains, smuckers). In my opinion he should have focused more on his rapping instead of the beats
  9. Apr 15, 2015
    There are moments on this album that stand far above anything Tyler has previously done. Tracks like Death Camp, Pilot, Find Your Wings, and 2Seater show Tyler's true prowess as a producer. However the album is marred with tracks that show the opposite as well. Songs such as Run, Cherry Bomb, and Keep da O's all exhibit either horribly boring production or absolutely awful mixing. At timesThere are moments on this album that stand far above anything Tyler has previously done. Tracks like Death Camp, Pilot, Find Your Wings, and 2Seater show Tyler's true prowess as a producer. However the album is marred with tracks that show the opposite as well. Songs such as Run, Cherry Bomb, and Keep da O's all exhibit either horribly boring production or absolutely awful mixing. At times really do love this album, but it was ultimately brought down by lackluster tracks and bad mixing. Expand
  10. Jul 17, 2017
    Some tracks are bad, some are great. Overall it's okay.................................................................................................................
  11. Mar 28, 2021
    My feelings on "Cherry Bomb" are pretty split at the moment of writing this. For example, I love the abrasiveness of "DEATHCAMP" but detest how "CHERRY BOMB" sounds. This album was clearly experimental for Tyler which should be noted, he took a huge risk and I respect that. This album was kind of like an attempted cross of Alternative Hip-Hop with various other genres. I loved: "FINDMy feelings on "Cherry Bomb" are pretty split at the moment of writing this. For example, I love the abrasiveness of "DEATHCAMP" but detest how "CHERRY BOMB" sounds. This album was clearly experimental for Tyler which should be noted, he took a huge risk and I respect that. This album was kind of like an attempted cross of Alternative Hip-Hop with various other genres. I loved: "FIND YOUR WINGS," "2SEATER," and "THE BROWN STAINS..." Normally, I'd give this a 4/10 but I really liked how Tyler re-released an instrumentals version on streaming services. Some other songs on the LP had 'beautiful' production that I felt that the lyrics took away from them. "BUFFALO," **** YOUNG / PERFECT," "SMUCKERS," and "OKAGA, CA" are all so enjoyable in their instrumental form. If the album swapped out all of those songs with just the instrumentals, I'd score it a 6/10. But since this specifically is a review for the original "Cherry Bomb" album, I give it a decent 5/10. Expand
  12. Jun 16, 2022
    Cherry Bomb is disappointing but his it's flops and some highlights. Cherry Bomb is ass and decent.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 7, 2015
    At the end of the day, I enjoy Cherry Bomb, both for it's misanthropic noise and for its funkier and jazzier sides.
  2. Mojo
    Jun 10, 2015
    Listen too close to the lyrics and you'll often detect a dispiritingly autopilot misanthropy.... Lose yourself in the music, though, and Cherry Bomb reveals a fevered charm. [Jul 2015, p.89]
  3. The Wire
    Jun 5, 2015
    An album whose sustained brilliance reveals both an artist liberated from the need to try too hard, and finally armed with more to express than sarcastic teenage angst. [Jun 2015, p.55]