• Record Label: RCA
  • Release Date: Apr 5, 2019
6.5

Review this album

1. Apr 7, 2019
    This album really disappointed me. I was looking forward to it as I loved his debut album and I even saw him in concert which was amazing. This album to me was a a lot of skips and the stands that did stand out were in no way up to par with the songs from his debut album.
  2. May 13, 2019
    The synths are bright and smooth, the guitar is so 80s-ish, a pretty solid follow-up. Not getting all the hate here. He's just 21 and it's only been two years since his debut, where he used the whole album to talk about his adolescence experience, so I never expected him to deal with some "deeper" issues.
  3. Apr 7, 2019
    It's a pretty good follow up album, but is far off American Teen! Favourite song's from the album are 'Talk', 'Better', 'Intro' and 'Outta My Head'
  4. Apr 5, 2019
    on this second album khalid came shy, except for some songs he did not show all his potential, his debut album is still his best work so far!
  5. May 17, 2019
    o album é bem chato e cansativo, parece que Khalid tá na mesma musica o album inteiro.
  6. Apr 8, 2019
    Great production and one of a kind Khalid,s voice. Thats all you need for a great album. Incredible album and the vibes are amazing.
  7. Apr 6, 2019
    Ainda que tenha um conteúdo lírico fraco, o álbum de Khalid nos leva a uma grande viagem por diversos estilos sempre prevalecendo ao R&B. Nenhum erro de produção ou algo que enfraqueça o álbum ao se ouvir.
  8. Jun 8, 2019
    "American Teen" practically bought Khalid has fame. With numerous hit singles and features from the release of his debut to now, he has been arguably one of the most important pop stars in the past few years.

"Free Spirit" is not "American Teen", however. Khalid has now experienced the all too familiar sophomore slump. It just seems like everywhere you go in pop, every turn you take, there's Khalid.

"Intro" is the best song on the record, with its spacious synths and reverb-soaked vocals. Mostly every song talks about getting inebriated, drunk-texting your ex-girlfriend, and then waking up to not remember a thing. "Right Back" and "Outta My Head" are the tracks that stand out (even though they are still about love). Oh, and John Mayer stops by to lay down some guitar on the latter track.

Khalid's newest record is ordinary. That's it. It's just ordinary, love-infested, scorned pop. His vocals are up to par, but the variety and overall greatness of the record is not.
  9. Apr 13, 2019
    I sure did enjoy the album after a couple of listens. My only gripe is that it is too long. As for it being a hot mess, I don’t mind it really. Besides, his career has just begun; I’m sure he’ll progress his music further.
  10. Apr 8, 2019
    It's okay at times but mostly boring the majority of the time. A little letdown.
  11. Apr 5, 2019
    Coming from someone with no prior exposure to Khalid's work, I was thoroughly impressed with this album and enjoyed it from start to finish. His unique vocal style works well with the R&B beats of the songs, and many of the tracks have honest, relatable lyrics, with some great collaborations thrown in as well. One of my favourites of 2019!
  12. Apr 6, 2019
    I had high hopes for this album, but Khalid did not deliver. There is some good songs in it that i wouldn't skip if it plays when i'm on shuffle play but my experience from listening to the album is that the songs are kinda repetitive with no real progression and no personality. I still prefer his debut album and by far! I still recommend you listening to it because the reviews seems toI had high hopes for this album, but Khalid did not deliver. There is some good songs in it that i wouldn't skip if it plays when i'm on shuffle play but my experience from listening to the album is that the songs are kinda repetitive with no real progression and no personality. I still prefer his debut album and by far! I still recommend you listening to it because the reviews seems to be quite divided so maybe you'll like it. For my part, it's an 5/10 Expand
  13. Apr 7, 2019
    This album surprised me, as I see an artist who has seen beyond his fame, and world acclaimed first album to a thought provoking second album. It's a journey toward his ideas and his fears and that is definitely a trait in Khalid's new album. In addition to diverse types of R&B records, from your summer hit 'Talk', to the collaboration with John Mayer in 'Outta my head', you have an albumThis album surprised me, as I see an artist who has seen beyond his fame, and world acclaimed first album to a thought provoking second album. It's a journey toward his ideas and his fears and that is definitely a trait in Khalid's new album. In addition to diverse types of R&B records, from your summer hit 'Talk', to the collaboration with John Mayer in 'Outta my head', you have an album where guitars, and synthesizers blend out perfectly with the beat.

I would totally recommend this album as a follow up to Khalid's Suncity and his debut album American Teen, as he progresses as an artist who acknowledges the path that brought him recognition, but dares to explore his demons in a fully charged R&B record.
  14. Apr 16, 2019
    Khalid has a great voice and people where expecting this album as the release of the year, it is dull, sometimes a little boring and lacks the spark. Do not buy it just stream your favorite song.
  15. Apr 20, 2019
    SONO! realmente esperava uma boa produção do Khalid, o que essa realmente não aparenta ser. Poucas musicas salvam o álbum.

1. Apr 17, 2019
    Free Spirit isn’t an outright failure. For it to be a failure, Khalid would have to at least take a few risks.
  2. Apr 12, 2019
    An hour-long LP with little joy or even relief, one that is nearly static in energy level despite a carousel of producers.
  3. Apr 10, 2019
    Free Spirit isn’t the coming of age album Khalid intended it to be, though in his nascent adulthood he has mastered something. Unfortunately, it’s the art of being innocuous.