8.7

Review this album

1. Mar 27, 2020
    The grunge gurus are having fun in times of the coronavirus pandemic. So you need to be open-minded and listen to Gigaton with the awareness that it will not be a new "Ten" or a "Vitalogy". Far from it, the guys changed their sound. Even though the production is impeccable, Pearl Jam has shown for years that they want to distance themselves from the kind of sound that revealed them to theThe grunge gurus are having fun in times of the coronavirus pandemic. So you need to be open-minded and listen to Gigaton with the awareness that it will not be a new "Ten" or a "Vitalogy". Far from it, the guys changed their sound. Even though the production is impeccable, Pearl Jam has shown for years that they want to distance themselves from the kind of sound that revealed them to the world and I dare say, that made them become who they are. Their choice, a band that has always tried to sabotage themselves. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2020
    This is a very solid album, start to finish. I echo Kerrang!'s review, 10/10 listen for yourself :D
  3. Mar 27, 2020
    Great album! Their best album since Riot Act (2002). A lovely set of songs.
  4. Mar 27, 2020
    Not good at all. She needs to really reinvent. Putting 80s filters is not reinventing.
  5. Mar 28, 2020
    An album that contains at least 8 songs easily included in their best of list is definitely a 10/10.And the reason is that the rest is not filler. Good songs. But in such a band that always has a strong competition with its own legacy in every new release , its always hard.They have constantly proved that in every forward step they've done , time always proved them classic... Never lookingAn album that contains at least 8 songs easily included in their best of list is definitely a 10/10.And the reason is that the rest is not filler. Good songs. But in such a band that always has a strong competition with its own legacy in every new release , its always hard.They have constantly proved that in every forward step they've done , time always proved them classic... Never looking back..An excellent return from an amazing, and consistent in quality band ,right at the time we needed it! I always believed that Pearl Jam is the Led Zeppelin of the 90s and I still do... Expand
  6. Mar 27, 2020
    Definitely more on the Yield/No Code spectrum than the Backspacer/Lightning Bolt one. The found something with new producer Josh Evans. The incendiary rocker Quick Escape could have been done in 1996 and no one would be the wiser.
  7. Mar 28, 2020
    A truly creative and genuinely great album almost 30 years into the band's career. Kudos!

The production really shines here, you can each hear instrument clearly and Ed's vocals are mixed just right. The songs themselves are mostly stellar; Quick Escape, Dance Of The Clairvoyants, Seven O'Clock, Comes Then Goes, Who Ever Said, Take The Long Way and Alright are all standouts. River Cross is a very good closer and Retrograde has probably the best outro of any song on the album. Even Superblood Wolfmoon and Never Destination, though not great songs, still have their moments and are far from throwaways.

Overall, a hugely satisfying album from Pearl Jam that at times feels like a perfect soundtrack for the current situation.
  8. Mar 27, 2020
    It's an essential Pearl Jam album. Up there with the likes of Vs., No Code, and Vitalogy.
  9. Mar 27, 2020
    This is hands down their best since Yield. I agree it has a very No Code/Yield vibe to it which was my favorite era of this band. I felt Backspacer and Lightning Bolt both left a lot to be desired as a complete body of work. This does not. It is solid from beginning to end. Dance of the Clairvoyants is a great shift in style very 80s like and it works for them. Great track. There areThis is hands down their best since Yield. I agree it has a very No Code/Yield vibe to it which was my favorite era of this band. I felt Backspacer and Lightning Bolt both left a lot to be desired as a complete body of work. This does not. It is solid from beginning to end. Dance of the Clairvoyants is a great shift in style very 80s like and it works for them. Great track. There are moments of their old rocking selves in songs like Who Ever Said and Superblood Wolfmoon. Both tracks are the old angst ridden rocking tunes of a band we all fell in love with. Quick Escape and Seven O Clock have all the political fire of Riot Act but done up with the times. I think the real strength of this album lies in the last three songs Expand
  10. Mar 27, 2020
    An instant classic! Pearl Jam delivers their best album in 20 years. Gigaton is an album that the world needs to listen to now given these uncertain times. It's critical yet hopeful. Best tracks include: 7 O'Clock, Quick Escape, Dance of the Clairvoyants, Retrograde and Who Ever Said!
  11. Mar 27, 2020
    Pearl Jam's audiovisual work with Gigaton borders on perfection! After 30 years, the band brings a message to take the breath away, and hits the nail on the head when posting all the clips on Youtube.
  12. Mar 27, 2020
    Such a great album. Pearl Jam never disappoints. Dance of the Clairvoyants, Superblood Wolfmoon, Quick Escape, Seven O'Clock, Alright, River Cross, Retrograde, Buckle Up are the standout tracks
  13. Mar 27, 2020
    It’s the Pearl Jam album I’ve been waiting for since Yield. It’s gorgeous, fresh, heavy and packed full of creative ideas.
  14. Mar 27, 2020
    Gigaton is Pearl Jam's 11th studio album. It has been about 7 years since their last album "Lightning Bolt " was released. This is the best album they've released since Binaural in my opinion. It is a very personal and gravitating experience for most Pearl Jam fans. Songs like River Cross and Comes then Goes shows that they still have beauty in the music. Never Destination and SuperbloobGigaton is Pearl Jam's 11th studio album. It has been about 7 years since their last album "Lightning Bolt " was released. This is the best album they've released since Binaural in my opinion. It is a very personal and gravitating experience for most Pearl Jam fans. Songs like River Cross and Comes then Goes shows that they still have beauty in the music. Never Destination and Superbloob Wolfmoon are a couple of the more Rock n Roll songs heard. Either way, this is gonna really bring them back to the top and they show no signs of letting up anytime soon. Enjoy!!! Expand
  15. Mar 27, 2020
    10/10 Great sound. Love it. Pearl jam Rules. Hope see them soon. Keep safe nad stay home.
  16. Mar 27, 2020
    This is the first Pearl Jam album in a long time that feels truly timely and necessary. Equal parts hope and venom, and with some experimentation that feels organic and unforced, it's their best (arguably) since Yield. Highlights include: Quick Escape, Who Ever Said, River Cross.
  17. Mar 27, 2020
    Best and most focused album they've done since probably Binaural. Highlights so far - Quick Escape, Alright, Retrograde, River Cross and Comes Then Goes. The band sounds inspired and full of ideas. Some really beautiful songs here. Great job!
  18. Mar 27, 2020
    Rock and roll stills alive thanks to Pearl Jam, and this heavy album proves it.
  19. Mar 27, 2020
    The album is decent. But no track on the album is (to use my own words) "a banger". All songs are good, but not one stuck with me.
  20. Mar 27, 2020
    Easily their best album since 1998's 'Yield'. It's the perfect album at the perfect time.
  21. Mar 28, 2020
    Awesome album! Really packs a punch both vocally and musically. A great show of force with strings back to the Vitalogy and V.S. and a view to the new horizon. Highly recommend putting this record on heavy rotation.
  22. Mar 28, 2020
    This is the best album I've heard this year. From the very first word on the first song you can tell singer Eddie Vedder has something to say! What a masterpiece!

Universal acclaim - based on 21 Critic Reviews

The band’s forthcoming album has a little bit of everything for everyone. It’s been seven years since the last Pearl Jam studio album, and the world has changed irrevocably since then. But thankfully some things remain reliably the same. ... Pearl Jam have given us an unexpected album of hope. Welcome back.
  2. Mar 27, 2020
    It might seem over the top to say that “Gigaton” is Pearl Jam’s best or most fully realized album since ”Ten.” But to paraphrase “Pal Joey’s” rakish Frank Sinatra talking about a sexual dry spell, “29 years is a long time between drinks.” And “Gigaton” is one stiff, glorious weird and zealously melodic cocktail.
    The band seem guided more by instinct than any sense of formula, but there are some superb embellishments – a fearsome guitar solo on “Take the Long Way”, eerie synth ripples on “Retrograde” – that build to the surprising final track, “River Cross”.