- Record Label: Sony Music Entertainment
- Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
|Came Back Haunted|
|Haunted The throat is deep and the mouth is wide Saw some things on the other side Made me promise to never tell But you know me I can't help...||See the rest of the song lyrics|
Kerrang!Oct 18, 2013It was a given that Hesitation Marks would provide Nine Inch Nails with a future. But what's so impressive here is that it's given then a future every bit as promising as their illustrious past. [31 Aug 2013, p.52]
Classic Rock MagazineOct 23, 2013The techno-noir sonic palette here is as eclectic as ever. [Oct 2013, p.90]
UncutAug 28, 2013Black gothic grandeur, but with a beige, biscuit-coloured centre. [Oct 2013, p.72]
Sep 3, 2013Given the singles that had come I made sure to steer clear of any other leaks to keep the album a surprise. Boy was it a pleasant surprise! soGiven the singles that had come I made sure to steer clear of any other leaks to keep the album a surprise. Boy was it a pleasant surprise! so many soundscapes and so many different moods and atmospheres captured in different and exciting ways. with that signature Trent Reznor sound to the music. I was so thoroughly impressed, I love this album even after my third listen beginning to end. Trent still has it's bite and this album stands tall in the Nine Inch Nails catalog.… Expand
Sep 3, 2013Trent Reznor hasn't so openly embraced pop melodies and dance-able structures like this since 1989's Pretty Hate Machine. Hot off the heelsTrent Reznor hasn't so openly embraced pop melodies and dance-able structures like this since 1989's Pretty Hate Machine. Hot off the heels of an Academy Award win and other score nominations, this is a record fusing dance, restrained yet sweeping vocals, and fine musicianship of Lindsay Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac), Alessandro Cortini (modwheelmood), Peter Paladins, and Adrian Belew (King Crimson).
It's every genre but never quite any one genre per song.… Expand
Sep 3, 2013one word: Awesome. come expecting to hear a new album not a new NIN old style album, experimenting and using rock, electronic and new popone word: Awesome. come expecting to hear a new album not a new NIN old style album, experimenting and using rock, electronic and new pop tunes, melting them with industrial sounds makes this album something of mix between the fragile and pretty hate machine, with the ghost of with teeth and tds in between, great album as a whole, good NIN music. Various methods of scape! My favorite song of the album with copy of a came back haunted and I would for you, all time low and hehe, everything.… Expand
Oct 26, 2013Unlike the minimalist The Slip which was a spotty album at best, Hesitation Marks brings Nine Inch Nails back into the spot light effectivelyUnlike the minimalist The Slip which was a spotty album at best, Hesitation Marks brings Nine Inch Nails back into the spot light effectively invoking their older style while also breaking some new ground.
The album has a lot more emphasis on almost pop-like electronic beats (perhaps influenced by his work with How to Destroy Angels) but the darker undertones are still present throughout most of the tracks and each one, regardless of personal opinion, is executed with the kind of masterful technique we've come to expect from Trent Reznor. From The Eater of Dreams to Black Noise the album blends together so nicely it's almost hard to not listen to it in its entirety much like The Downward Spiral or The Fragile.
2. Copy of A A brilliant opening track that over the coarse of its running time effectively builds more and more momentum until it transitions you into Came Back Haunted. Once it gets you hooked you'll find yourself listening to it again and again. It's no surprise that Copy of A is their opening song on their current Tension 2013 tour (and blends into the hard-hitting 1,000,000 so well).
3. Came Back Haunted This single really sets the stage for what Hesitation Marks is all about. Mixing that newer electronic-pop sound with the staple Nine Inch Nails undertones works well and ends up delivering a single very much in the same vein as With Teeth's Hand That Feeds, Year Zero's Survivalism, or The Slip's Discipline.
5. All Time Low This track is probably the closest we're going to get to another Closer. While the song isn't specifically about sex the beat and style effectively captures that almost 1970s funk vibe that just screams "it's time to get down and make love".
8. Satellite To me, there's something about this song that harks back to Year Zero. Whether or not the track is supposed to sound like it's riffing off of the whole NSA scandal it certainly feels like a nod to NIN's only real foray into politically-inspired music.
9. Various Methods of Escape This song is easily becoming my most favorite of the entire album. On the surface it might not seem like it, but Various Methods of Escape is right up there next to Hurt, And All That Could've Been, and Something I Can Never Have in terms of being an emotionally intense and moving track that shares a deeply personal connection to Trent Reznor.… Expand
Sep 3, 2013"Sonic train wreck" is how I like to describe The Downward Spiral. And while Hesitation Marks is definitely "sonic," I felt I was often"Sonic train wreck" is how I like to describe The Downward Spiral. And while Hesitation Marks is definitely "sonic," I felt I was often waiting in vain for the trademark "wall of sound" to hit my headphones like it often felt it should... and they simply do not come. Most songs pretty much stay "safe" from beginning to end, and there are none of those blissfully angst ridden sucker punches that blew your mind as a college freshman. I'm okay with a happier, fitter, more productive Trent Rezner. But I'm also wishing this album could get just a bit dirtier once in a while. All in all, it's a return to form and offers the intricate sonic layering you come to expect on the best of NIN. Good album. But still.... too safe.… Expand
Feb 15, 2014http://bit.ly/1gktRLU I'm hesitant to say 5 years of waiting was for a new Nine Inch Nails record was worth it. I feel Hesitation Marks is ahttp://bit.ly/1gktRLU I'm hesitant to say 5 years of waiting was for a new Nine Inch Nails record was worth it. I feel Hesitation Marks is a teaser of the direction NIN is going in. This album certainly had it's ups and downs but as a whole comes up as a good album that I was expecting a bit more from.… Expand
Jan 22, 2014"Closer" was the only thing i ever heard from them. And it was a blast. However, this is their first album i hear, and it's not. It has an"Closer" was the only thing i ever heard from them. And it was a blast. However, this is their first album i hear, and it's not. It has an 'okay' dose of good tracks with rhythmic music, but not as good or powerful as i expected. But i'm still checking out their earlier work, especially in the 90s.… Expand
|The Beatles [White Album] [50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition] - The Beatles|
|Music from Big Pink [50th Anniversary] - The Band|
|Electric Ladyland [50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition] - The Jimi Hendrix Experience|
|Appetite for Destruction: Super Deluxe Edition [Box Set] - Guns N' Roses|
|Room 25 - Noname|
|Imagine: The Ultimate Collection [Box Set] - John Lennon|
|...And Justice for All [30th Anniversary Expanded Edition] - Metallica|
|More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 14 - Bob Dylan|
|Holy Hell - Architects|
|Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album - John Coltrane|
|Honey - Robyn|
|Safe In The Hands Of Love - Yves Tumor|
|Chris - Christine and the Queens|
|El Mal Querer - Rosalía|
|Joy As an Act of Resistance - Idles|
|I Loved You at Your Darkest - Behemoth|
|Negative Capability - Marianne Faithfull|
|Cocoon Crush - Objekt|
|You Won't Get What You Want - Daughters|
|Some Rap Songs - Earl Sweatshirt|