• Record Label: Columbia
  • Release Date: Apr 15, 2014
9.0

Review this album

1. May 13, 2014
    This originally came out before my time so have only really gotten into it now. Still sounds fresh, has mad beats, lyrics and flow. Can see how this is a classic and rated as pretty much the best rap album of all time
  2. May 10, 2014
    Stilll the best Hip Hop Album of all time. I still prefer the original but i liked that they added some new stuff that feels like it was recorded when Illmatic was first written. Check out "Im a Villain"
  3. Apr 30, 2014
    Not much to say, a classic album (the best hip hop album ever), packed with new remixes and new tracks. Illmatic will have a huge impact on hip hop forever, the remixes have great beats, the newly added tracks are good too.
  4. May 3, 2014
    **** sayin' NaS fell, how? this album proves he still remembers his roots. Plus, if any1 fell off it would have to be Yeezy. **** sayin' Ye fell off, YOURE RIGHT!
  5. Jun 24, 2014
    The greatest hip hop album still sounds amazing and with 10 ten extra tracks this is one of the best deals out there. Nas has once again put out the best anniversary edition of any album (Illmatic Platinum).
  6. Sep 5, 2014
    An amazing album. Though I don't think the remixes really add much (in fact I think they are a bit lame), the classics from the original album are still there and are just as good as ever. The sound quality has also improved (or so they say; I haven't noticed much a different). If you haven't bought Illmatic, I'd suggest saving $5.00 by buying the original (which I would give a 10/10).
  7. Jun 24, 2014
    Dificil de avaliar o box, porque de um lado temos o clássico Illmatic, melhor álbum de rap de todos os tempos, nota 10 sem dúvidas, porém a segunda parte deixa a desejar, pois, mesmo seguindo o estilo do primeiro, tem qualidade bem inferior.
  8. Mar 22, 2015
    This rating is for the actual Illmatic. 9.1/10. I'd probably rate this one almost the same as the original............................................
  9. Jul 8, 2014
    A damn good album, and also a must-buy. Nas' stunning debut had me skeptical at first because of its East-coast origins, but with the first track I listened to, I knew this album would be worth a listen.
  10. Sep 5, 2014
    I don't listen to a lot of rap and hiphop, but this album is so freaking good. I love all the songs. It's maybe the best album of all time. Nas.. you're a legend!!!
  11. May 1, 2015
    Quite possibly the greatest hip-hop album of all time. Nas' flows and lyrics are impeccable and often outrageous in places "You couldn't catch me on the streets without a tonne of reefer, that's like Malcom X catchin' the jungle fever". The concepts are based upon Nas' tough New York upbringing; including gang warfare, drugs, desolation and urban poverty. This helps add a sense of realismQuite possibly the greatest hip-hop album of all time. Nas' flows and lyrics are impeccable and often outrageous in places "You couldn't catch me on the streets without a tonne of reefer, that's like Malcom X catchin' the jungle fever". The concepts are based upon Nas' tough New York upbringing; including gang warfare, drugs, desolation and urban poverty. This helps add a sense of realism to the album, making it highly relatable to the youthful generation. It's easy to see where Nas is coming from in a lot of these songs.

The beats to accompany the lyrics are just as impeccable and include elements of jazz and old-school hip hop in places, mastered by the pioneering DJ Premier, along with Large Professor and Q Tip. Illmatic is 10 tracks of pure genius. At only 20 years old, Nas blew the world of hip-hop away with this album. A true classic; as recognised by this 20th Anniversary Edition.

1. Nov 6, 2014
    The Demos, Remixes & Live Radio half of Illmatic XX, the 20th-anniversary celebration of the Queensbridge rapper's seminal debut, deviates the right direction from its 10-year predecessor.
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    No album in hiphop history has been less in need of a padding. [Jun 2014, p.63]
  3. May 22, 2014
    Illmatic is timeless because of Nas’s introspective, hyper-detailed approach to his daily life--even to moments that don’t seem particularly notable.