8.6

Review this album

1. Nov 1, 2019
    I love Michael . I was so hyped for this album after i saw the reviews . But in the end this was just an okay album . There wasn't any song from this album that made me say "wow this is such a good song . But there also weren't any song which made me say "wow thid is a bad song ". In conclusion this album is just okay for me nothing else
  2. Nov 2, 2019
    It's a beautiful album, and highly appropriate to the needs of these times in all respects.

I'm giving it a 9 because it feels a bit preachy instead of personal/emotional, but it gets the core of the emotional journey to peace of mind right. This is certainly Michael Kiwanuka's best album. Album of the year is between this and Ghosteen for me. I think this album is an easier listen

Album of the year is between this and Ghosteen for me. I think this album is an easier listen but Ghosteen is more subtle in capturing the journey through grief and finding hope on the other side. Tough choice.
  3. Nov 1, 2019
    Michael's greatest record to date. Touching, soulful and honest. Beautiful, heartbreaking record. Also one of the best releases this year.
  4. Nov 10, 2019
    Easily one of the best albums of this year. it grows on you with each listening. I guess his best album so far. the album has not only melancholic and happy but also extravert and introvert moments. great production beyond question.
  5. Nov 13, 2019
    KIWANUKA starts. At the first 3 songs, U2 imposture creeps in and then leaves with no impressions. The remaining begins to take over with soul-infused. Intros and its corresponding songs are done nicely, except the track Hero, as it's intricate but bland. At the end, it leaves no marks but acknowledgement that KIWANUKA is just an exhibition of musical skills and just that.
  6. Nov 1, 2019
    Michael se superou, eu fui com expectativas e fui muito surpreendido, álbum completo que vai ser tornar atemporal.
  7. Nov 2, 2019
    From the first track "You Aint The Problem"
    You will know that this is an album worth your lifetime. Even though LOVE & HATE was a masterpiece, KIWANUKA is greater then its predecessor album.
    Definitely Top 3 album of the year
  8. Nov 2, 2019
    I just finished my second listen to the album. It is elating me currently. I find I am in a state of bliss as I'm driving along, the mix of soulfulness with the perfect production from Danger Mouse makes this an album I'll be playing until I have intimately mapped its nuances. Definitely worth picking up!
  9. Nov 9, 2019
    A stunningly sublime listen, best done in a single, uninterrupted sitting - or in my case, with headphones, in a dark, quiet place. The interwoven tracks tell a modern tale, with such an interesting mix of styles and a 60-70s vibe throughout. Wah-wah guitars, clever background chatter, harps, violins, gospel choirs and psychedelic themes. All pulled together with Michael’s soft, soulfulA stunningly sublime listen, best done in a single, uninterrupted sitting - or in my case, with headphones, in a dark, quiet place. The interwoven tracks tell a modern tale, with such an interesting mix of styles and a 60-70s vibe throughout. Wah-wah guitars, clever background chatter, harps, violins, gospel choirs and psychedelic themes. All pulled together with Michael’s soft, soulful voice. I am seriously excited about this album. Not heard the likes for literally decades. For me, truly faultless. Expand

1. Nov 15, 2019
    It’s very easy for a reviewer to play armchair warrior and forward claims for all sorts of nonsense for music they like. But this is a glorious, heart-stopping, essential album. You’d have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by it.
  2. Nov 14, 2019
    Kiwanuka could very well be one of the best albums of 2019. But Kiwanuka is also a beautiful, deep place that feels like it will be worth visiting, not just in the last month of this year, but throughout a listener's lifetime.
  3. Nov 12, 2019
    An album that could have been a grueling downer from start to finish. Instead, it’s a testament to perseverance, determination and a vivid creative imagination from an artist who seems to have finally found himself, and that’s profound enough.