• Record Label: Bighit
  • Release Date: Apr 12, 2019
7.9

Review this album

1. Apr 12, 2019
    With the presence of Greek myths and exploitation of psychoanalysis through Jung, BTS shows what is lacking in the pop artists of today: identity. A cohesive album, with music gender variability and production, shows why they are one of the biggest groups nowadays.
  2. Apr 14, 2019
    Lyrics and their message are fitting with their whole discography, choreo for title track "boy with luv" is very good and fun to watch it is a very nice summer vibe track, they collaborated with Halsey on title track and Ed Sheeran on "Make It Right", they're exploring new genres again and totally killing it most shocking one is the track "dionysus" for me which is a hiphop/rock track andLyrics and their message are fitting with their whole discography, choreo for title track "boy with luv" is very good and fun to watch it is a very nice summer vibe track, they collaborated with Halsey on title track and Ed Sheeran on "Make It Right", they're exploring new genres again and totally killing it most shocking one is the track "dionysus" for me which is a hiphop/rock track and i LOVED it, they owned their comeback stage at SNL today and got very good comments from non-fans/locals. Overall this album is showing their sincerety, versatility and hardwork- the leader has credits on all songs and other 2 rap line members have 5/7 6/7 credits also. It is heart warming seeing that there are artists like BTS who still cares about putting a complete album instead of just focusing on a potential single and just filling the remaining spots. Expand
  3. Apr 15, 2019
    I would normally give a detailed review for albums, particularly ones that touched my heart, but putting the experience into words and confining it to a paragraph here would not do this album justice. Reason? My connection to MOTS:Persona is at a level where words stop being an accurate medium of expression. Corny and pretentious as it may sound, I would scream from the rooftops if I couldI would normally give a detailed review for albums, particularly ones that touched my heart, but putting the experience into words and confining it to a paragraph here would not do this album justice. Reason? My connection to MOTS:Persona is at a level where words stop being an accurate medium of expression. Corny and pretentious as it may sound, I would scream from the rooftops if I could about how much JOY this album brings to me at a time when I need this lift the most. The lyrics and melodies of Persona read like a personal letter from BTS to their fans, a letter that asks us how we are doing as it reminisces our shared journey through some of the toughest roadways. Definitely my favourite BTS album seeing as how each new replay seems like the first one and is just as delightful as the previous round. Boy With Luv is the perfect title track for this season and brings me so much childlike-joy - something that's hard to come by these days. Great job Bangtan! They are incapable of producing mediocre albums. They just don't have it in them because their stories and artistry come together in unparalleled ways to produce pieces that touch so many. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2019
    A very expansive album with good lyrics and catchy melodies. A mix of pop genres, hip-hop and R&B that touches you from the beginning until the very end. The kind of album that makes you enjoy every second of it and brings you happiness.
  5. AP_
    Apr 14, 2019
    The diversity in this is insane and they manage to pull off every genre. Particularly enjoyed the connections to both Carl Jung's work AND their own discography.
  6. Yey
    Apr 15, 2019
    Love this album so much. It's beyond my expectation. Theyre not afraid to try something new.
  7. Apr 15, 2019
    A modern pop masterpiece.
    One of the things that interested me the most when I've first listened to BTS was their ability to go through different music genres like pop, hip-hop, and even rock. And that's exactly what they did with this album.
    A modern pop masterpiece.
    I haven't seen and pop album with this versatility in a long time. Most pop artists these days focus in making hit songs and use trending music styles but forget about the essence, lyrics and share a message with their fans and the gp.
    BTS does that perfectly with this album. They deliver a powerful message of love and debate about their own history and achievments with sincerity and a open heart and with amazing music productions.
    I am really excited to see more from them and from this new era.
  8. Apr 15, 2019
    The album is the most organic of the group, something direct about knowing who you are and what you want. Knowing you need something and knowing you need to put things aside (like pride) to ask for help. The artistic quality is surprising and even if I was not a fan, I would become this album and surely it would be possible to feel safer about it when analyzing the entire discography of the group.
  9. Apr 15, 2019
    this album is simply marvelous, reveals the best thoughts of the BTS and its affection for the fans, an album full of concept and true plurality.
  10. May 19, 2019
    The arrangements of "Map of the Soul: Persona" are demanding and complicated, and many lyrical highlights are presented in a self-referential way. It's not such a bad record, but it's hard to describe it as good. K-pop is a blatant copy of Anglo American pop. The only advantage here in addition to the lyrical content of the album, are the versatility of singers and synchronized danceThe arrangements of "Map of the Soul: Persona" are demanding and complicated, and many lyrical highlights are presented in a self-referential way. It's not such a bad record, but it's hard to describe it as good. K-pop is a blatant copy of Anglo American pop. The only advantage here in addition to the lyrical content of the album, are the versatility of singers and synchronized dance moves, but they could easily be mistaken for any R&B/pop band out there. Expand
  11. Apr 16, 2019
    What surprised me the most about this album was the depth of its lyrics, some bordering a sense of melancholy, going along with catchy and happy pop/R&B melodies. Very nice to see artists with such compromise of bringing something new and so experimental.
  12. Apr 16, 2019
    Their just keeps getting better. The very interesting addition of Greek mythology and Jungianism makes the album and its lyrics much more fascinating.
    The marriage of rap and vocals continue to impress the listener.
  13. Apr 17, 2019
    Every BTS album is different. BWL is bright and cherry, a stark difference to Fake Love and Idol. Every song is produced and written by BTS, they believe in their music and it shows. Looking forward to future albums.
  14. Apr 14, 2019
    Another wonderful addition to their incredible discography. Map of the Soul: Persona is such a diverse album, with a variety of genres and throwbacks to their earlier works, while keeping it, as always, interesting. The album is filled with references to Jung's map of the soul theory, as evidenced on the title, to Greek mythology and with spectacular lyricism; they have, once again, provedAnother wonderful addition to their incredible discography. Map of the Soul: Persona is such a diverse album, with a variety of genres and throwbacks to their earlier works, while keeping it, as always, interesting. The album is filled with references to Jung's map of the soul theory, as evidenced on the title, to Greek mythology and with spectacular lyricism; they have, once again, proved they are real artists with a passion for music. Expand
  15. Apr 14, 2019
    Once again, BTS delivers a master class on how to make state-of-the-art pop music. Even at its less-engaging moments, the album sets a lofty standard for the rest of the pop industry - challenging all others to keep up. If a Renaissance in pop music is happening, they’re at the forefront of it.
  16. Apr 12, 2019
    The album is innovative, impressive and versatile. BTS again showing they can adapt to any style and they are amazing artists. Stop the xenophobic comments and take the time to get to know their work. They compose and produce their own songs, have initiative and are now having a good publicity. This new era is going to be huge. STREAM MAP OF THE SOUL: PERSONA
  17. Apr 12, 2019
    An interesting take on the Jungian theory that inspired it. Their most mature sound to date when it come to melodies and composition. They also were not afraid to experiment as seen in Dionysus a track inspired by Seo Taiji's music.
  18. Apr 12, 2019
    Their album follows their story, and it's really consistent. Looking at the lyrics, the whole thing SEEMS like songs for a lover, but it really isn't - there's a shadow about loneliness, life in general, expectations and what we must conceal in order to keep a good appearance.

There's also a song for the fans which is great itself, but even greater because they point out they're the ones who need the fans, who find comfort in them, and not the other way around. That's pretty cool.

Also BTS keeps switching sounds and travelling through different music styles, respect!
  19. Apr 12, 2019
    Just mind-blowing. This album is the beginning for a new and beautiful journey in the BU (Bangtan Universe). It is really great to see a boygroup that, despite being the biggest boygroup in the world right now, didn't lose it's personality and essence. Map of the Soul: Persona shows how talented, hard-working and passionate (for their music) BTS is.
  20. Apr 13, 2019
    Probably one of their most diverse albums, I'd rank this all the way up there with Love Yourself: Tear. The flow of each song to the next, the throwbacks to their earlier album and era (Skool Luv Affair), the diverse mix of genres. BTS have truly done it again.

The title song, Boy With Luv, is a more friendly pop song that still takes on BTS' bold edge and excitement, featuring a Western artist (Halsey) who sang parts Korean instead of the other way around. The intro is an immediate nostalgia trip, sampling the beat to the intro from their 2014 album, Skool Luv Affair. The rest of the songs—from the uplifting Mikrokosmos, to the chill Make It Right, to reminiscent HOME, to the deep Jamais Vu and roaring Dionysus—make powerful statements on their own, and tell a profound story of love, enjoyment, and self-identity altogether.

BTS revive the art of album storytelling in a time where many artists focus primarily on releasing disconnected singles all packaged together. I highly suggest you check them out if you haven't already—they're only getting better and better.
  21. Apr 12, 2019
    I wasn't sure what to expect with this album, especially when it's the start of a new era. I respect their artistry and the fact that they continue to push boundaries when it comes to their own music, be it the lyrics, musical style, or the way it's presented to listeners.

There's a good mix of different songs here, and never did they stray from their roots. I appreciate and love that their songs have meaning and it comes from a place of truth, which a lot of mainstream music lacks these days. Hopefully, others will listen without prejudice and an open mind; like Namjoon (leader of BTS) said, music transcends all languages.
  22. Apr 12, 2019
    This is by far one of BTS's best albums in their career. And the statement is very realistic. Each song has its own way to make any person be engaged. No matter what genre, this eclipse Love Yourself: Tear, and is up their with Wings, as well as the other HYYH albums. The worst rating this album could realistically get is an 8. Anything under than that is pretty laughable to say the least.This is by far one of BTS's best albums in their career. And the statement is very realistic. Each song has its own way to make any person be engaged. No matter what genre, this eclipse Love Yourself: Tear, and is up their with Wings, as well as the other HYYH albums. The worst rating this album could realistically get is an 8. Anything under than that is pretty laughable to say the least. Remember, don't critic the music to YOUR taste. Be engaged with the music, find that entry to the music, regardless of the genre/style. It's a problem that people have when criticizing songs. I also want to say that the choruses are the tipping point. If the choruses doesn't have its charm to make someone engaged, then the song needs improvement. Each song on this album actually has its own way to draw in a listener. There's a simple method to enjoy music as music. Expect BTS to grow on their music overtime, as this is just the intro. And a very impressive intro at that Expand
  23. Apr 13, 2019
    I don't understand how they manage to make even better albums each time. They surprise me every time. I was totally shocked by Boy With Luv. This is the first time when the title track is actually my favourite song on BTS album
    Overall such an organic and healing piece of art. Love it.
  24. Apr 13, 2019
    With a theme rooted in Jungian psychology and Greek mythology, this album contains songs of different genres that cohesively tell one story—a story for the listener to find out. Music and lyrics are of excellent quality.
  25. Apr 13, 2019
    Song titles like Persona, Mikrokosmos, Jamais Vu, Dionysus already exhibit how innovative this album is. It's an album that has a story to tell. Even if you don't understand Korean lyrics, the music production of each song effectively conveys the message. And if you delve into the meaning behind the lyrics, you'll find beautiful metaphors.
  26. Apr 12, 2019
    Stop xenophoby. BTS shows to have the map of our soul when give us an album of great quality and evolution for the artists. "Home" is the style of music you can imagine being played everywhere. As well as "Boy With Luv," which sounds like a great summer hit. "Jamais Vu", also one of the best, is the powerful ballad of the album that brings the members Seokjin, Jungkook and J-Hope. WithoutStop xenophoby. BTS shows to have the map of our soul when give us an album of great quality and evolution for the artists. "Home" is the style of music you can imagine being played everywhere. As well as "Boy With Luv," which sounds like a great summer hit. "Jamais Vu", also one of the best, is the powerful ballad of the album that brings the members Seokjin, Jungkook and J-Hope. Without doubt, another work that will bring more success and acclaim to the kings. Expand
  27. Apr 12, 2019
    this album filled with psychology theory of jung's map of the soul; greek myths; with a dash of good mix between pop, rock, rnb, and old school hiphop. a very cohesive album i must say. the flow from each track to another is more solid than their previous mini album LY: Tear. this is very BTS with title track that's very different than their previous experimental tracks, boy with luv isthis album filled with psychology theory of jung's map of the soul; greek myths; with a dash of good mix between pop, rock, rnb, and old school hiphop. a very cohesive album i must say. the flow from each track to another is more solid than their previous mini album LY: Tear. this is very BTS with title track that's very different than their previous experimental tracks, boy with luv is much more toned down and chill and definitely fit for radio Expand
  28. Apr 12, 2019
    As always they innovate and show something totally different from the expected and surprise me, they never disappoint me
  29. Apr 12, 2019
    Once again BTS has proven themselves to push boundaries with this comeback. It's a fresh pop album that's super soothing to the ears. Throughout the album, there's a type of happy and hopeful atmosphere that the album holds, and the poetic nature of the lyrics just adds on. Overall, wonderful job and many congratulations to the boys.
  30. Apr 12, 2019
    This album is everything! Loved every second of it! Glad that BTS are back to making music for the world! Every track had its own unique flare that made the album!
  31. Apr 12, 2019
    Innovative and bold — these are the words that describe Map Of The Soul: Persona. With themes ranging from psychoanalysis and Greek mythology to the internal disturbances of the human being, the album manages to convey through its production and voices of the seven members conflicting feelings. All the tracks count with the participation of group members, which explains the connectionInnovative and bold — these are the words that describe Map Of The Soul: Persona. With themes ranging from psychoanalysis and Greek mythology to the internal disturbances of the human being, the album manages to convey through its production and voices of the seven members conflicting feelings. All the tracks count with the participation of group members, which explains the connection that can be made between the lyrics of the songs and the message that BTS is trying to convey. The album does not disappoint, on the contrary, it positively surprises the listener, because in its musical diversity it manages to find a point of balance and cohesion. In conclusion, BTS has once again outdone themselves. Expand
  32. Apr 13, 2019
    Definitely pleased with this album. Really liked the direction they took in terms of sound and how the album flowed well from start to finish. BTS never shy away from exploring new sounds for them and looking back from their debut to now, it is great to see how far they've come as artists. Boy With Luv was surprisingly a great title track, i am not really too fond with light poppy type ofDefinitely pleased with this album. Really liked the direction they took in terms of sound and how the album flowed well from start to finish. BTS never shy away from exploring new sounds for them and looking back from their debut to now, it is great to see how far they've come as artists. Boy With Luv was surprisingly a great title track, i am not really too fond with light poppy type of tracks, but they made it work for me and i was hooked from the first listen. if i had to pick three standout tracks for me, it would be HOME, Dionysus and Boy With Luv Expand
  33. Apr 12, 2019
    perfect, is the best album ever, the lyrics, all, so perfect
    jimin with his angel vocals
    the subunit song EVERYTHING IS SO GOOODD a i love it
  34. Apr 12, 2019
    The album has a good production, the compositions are also cool, the music with Halsey and the last track are the best, I didn't find the album itself very good, it was not very pleasant and a setback in relation to the others of them the production / composition are good, the set not so much.
  35. Apr 15, 2019
    BTS has such a capacity to be a star group, but some melodies, compared to old songs let a taste of discase, so i think, bts can do something better, their title song is very simple, i can't see anything catchy for me, their b-sides let a taste of sadness. i was hoping more.
  36. Apr 30, 2019
    BTS' body of work has a psychological and self-care meaning. The production has occidental influence, for example in Mikrokosmos and HOME can be identified the One Direction and Bruno Mars "style" respectively. The lyrics are well structured, except Dionysus, in which has demonstrated how forced and stiff an outro song can be. 69/100
  37. Apr 29, 2019
    It is a nice album but there are some messy songs unfortunately there's only 1 good song!
  38. Apr 25, 2019
    BTS did something surprising, even with the same style as always, it came to be something unprecedented and as always did not disappoint. Really they are dominating in this mini album, it does not have an aspect that can confuse or speak that has something to improve.
  39. Apr 23, 2019
    This album is honestly amazing. It may have slipped under the radar for some, but I am so glad I got to experience it. It has a feature from an artist whom I don’t particularly care for, and stilll was amazing. This group is doing such a great job paving the way!

The EP moves easily through different spheres of young love, young fame and young ambition, all of it audible through coruscating backgrounds and intense vocal deliveries that channel the high-running tensions of technicolor teenage drama.
  2. Apr 19, 2019
    A valiant and partly successful attempt from K-pop’s biggest band to move forward in their music. While they undeniably remain a success, the recycled sonics and multiple references to past music makes it hard for old listeners to let go of past glory and for the new to connect with their current music.
  3. Apr 18, 2019
    Map of the Soul: Persona is a bold, if tempered, call to Western media.