• Record Label: Orchard
  • Release Date: Feb 19, 2021
6.3

Review this album

1. Feb 19, 2021
    Better than "Thrashing", my favorite of theirs since "Stay Positive". Looking forward to digging into the lyrics more, haven't had much time with it yet. But THS are always an 8-10 band and this is one of their best.
  2. Feb 21, 2021
    Would it kill them to give us a guitar solo? It's almost killing me to listen to this anticlimatic mix for a second time. Lots of missed opportunities in the name of trying some new or growing? Too many brains in the mix, less horns more guitars if I wanted this melodic crap I'd listen to local natives or some **** Let bobby drake and galen out of their cages and have tad crank up the damn amp.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 19 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 2, 2021
    While the album isn’t quite the overhaul that quote makes it out to be, there are enough twists to catch longtime fans off guard. Even with eight albums to their name, The Hold Steady continue to prove that consistency doesn’t mean going stale.
  2. Feb 24, 2021
    However often the band has been saddled with being “earnest,” their way of contrasting rock‘n’roll catharsis with personal devastation is also inherently ironic. This sense is more obvious than ever on Open Door Policy.
    [The band] sound like they’re grabbing at big choruses like an alcoholic scrabbling for a bedside breakfast whisky. But on The Feelers, the motoric Spices and Me & Magdalena, Craig Finn’s sneered diatribe about a manipulative rock junkie, they nonetheless stumble across a rich, National-like lustre of dark grooves and opiated euphoria.