9.0

Buy Now
Buy on

Review this album

1. Apr 20, 2020
    This is one of the best pop albums of all time. There's a lot of people who are coming to claim the title of 'pop music saviour' but that person really is Rina Sawayama. Nobody else manages to infuse pop music and politics the way she does, and this is what we need our pop music to do: we need it to say something. Finally, the saviour has arrived!
  2. Apr 17, 2020
    Without exaggeration, one of the greatest, most ingenious albums I think I’ve heard in years. It’s without a doubt the best debut pop album since Lady Gaga’s The Fame in 2008, with which it shares several sonic similarities. Beginning to end, the album is a breathlessly flawless achievement. So much of it embodies what made pop albums in the 2000s so engaging: the charisma and stylizationsWithout exaggeration, one of the greatest, most ingenious albums I think I’ve heard in years. It’s without a doubt the best debut pop album since Lady Gaga’s The Fame in 2008, with which it shares several sonic similarities. Beginning to end, the album is a breathlessly flawless achievement. So much of it embodies what made pop albums in the 2000s so engaging: the charisma and stylizations of Justin Timberlake; the intensity and bravado of Rihanna; the strong-theatrical-vocals-meet-ice cold-pop of Lady Gaga. The cherry on top is the incorporation of metal, 90’s R&B, 90’s bubblegum, and 80’s glam rock - a combination that results in a fantastically confident artistic statement. It’s a debut album with enormous energy and enormous personality that demands to be heard. Expand
  3. Apr 17, 2020
    uma obra prima. rina sawayama sabe como fazer um pop decente e interessante, assim como fluir entre o R&B e o metal sem sair algo superficial.
  4. Apr 17, 2020
    Simplesmente INCRÍVEL.Um dos melhores álbuns lançados nesse ano até agora.
  5. Apr 17, 2020
    Rina entregou o melhor em seu debut! Já era de se esperar uma obra de arte, pois seu EP Rina é perfeito do início ao fim.
    Enaltecendo sua raiz japonesa e trazendo o POP dos anos 90 de volta, além de misturar Rock, ela merece todo reconhecimento
  6. Apr 17, 2020
    This is absolutely fire. Rina kills it with her vocals, blended with amazing choices for production on every song on this album. From the build-up on Dynasty, to her sampling her prior work in 10-20-40 and Take Me As I Am on Rina in F*** This World (Interlude), she does no wrong on this album and it's an amazing listen whether it be the first time listening or the enthh time listening.
  7. Apr 17, 2020
    I literally made an account just to write this review.

I literally made an account just to write this review.

SAWAYAMA is an excellent, triumphant debut from one of the most exciting voices in pop music today. every track is expertly produced and created with clear intent behind every sound, every lyric, and every transition. I have genuinely never experienced an album that so expertly wields different genres - not just for the sake of it (or to show off about musical capabilities), but because it actually furthers the messages being put forward.

from every conceivable standpoint, this album is phenomenal. as mentioned before, the production is top-tier and i'm super impressed with rina and clarence's work. the lyrics are exactly what they need to be and where they need to be to fit each songs themes, and astoundingly wind between different and very deep-rooted emotions. on top of that, this album is politically aware and culturally important, thanks to the messages presented in chosen family, XS, STFU, and more (pretty much every track actually).

just all around fantastic. i truly hope it gets the recognition and success it so evidently deserves.
  8. Apr 17, 2020
    Perfeita demais, a pegada dos anos 2000 faz um nostalgia gostosa aos ouvidos, mas não só isso, Rina consegue transitar entre estilos de uma forma muito agradável
  9. Apr 17, 2020
    Debut digno de nota 10, rina vem trilhando seu caminho com músicas diferentes mas ao mesmo tempo na moda como a "Comme des garçons", "XS" e "Love me 4 Me" que trazem estilos bastantes diferentes do que estamos acostumados a ver mas ao mesmo tempo com uma pegada pop/rock, Rina Sawayama poderia ser fácil uma artista revelação ao grammy's.
  10. Apr 17, 2020
    Perfeito, muito bom. Felizmente a Rina não erra em nada! Recomendo muito escutarem!
  11. Apr 18, 2020
    This is literally the perfect album! Rina gives pop and rock to create the perfect experience for the listener. Her second song “XS” even gives an early 2000s experience which is sure to have you bopping. I literally can’t stop listening!
  12. Apr 17, 2020
    Rina já havia entregado conceito e coesão em seu primeiro mini álbum, mostrando que veio pra conquistar o mundo com muita personalidade e identidade artística. Mas esse álbum literalmente superou todas as minhas expectativas como fã e seguidor de seus lançamentos desde Where U Are. Em momento algum Sawayama deixa a desejar mesmo quando se tem uma canção mid-tempo dentre tantas up-tempo,Rina já havia entregado conceito e coesão em seu primeiro mini álbum, mostrando que veio pra conquistar o mundo com muita personalidade e identidade artística. Mas esse álbum literalmente superou todas as minhas expectativas como fã e seguidor de seus lançamentos desde Where U Are. Em momento algum Sawayama deixa a desejar mesmo quando se tem uma canção mid-tempo dentre tantas up-tempo, esta é tão bem produzida quanto as outras. Versatilidade é o que mais me atrai em um artista, e a Rina conseguiu entregar isso de uma forma tão magnífica e perspicaz que nos tira o ar quando escutamos canções como Dinasty, XS e até a enigmática Akasaka Sad. Minha nota é 10 porque Rina Sawayama é sinônimo de personalidade, criatividade, coesão, coerência, qualidade e versatilidade, simplesmente eu não ouvia algo tão bom em anos como amante da música pop. Expand
  13. Apr 17, 2020
    Album of the year!!! She created a mix of sonorities which are all very diferent from themselves but together worked really well. Also, the lyrics are incredibly good.
  14. Apr 17, 2020
    This Album was a Pop masterpiece, it completely mastered her refined aesthetic while taking daring and elegant genre risks, this album had original and personal stories unique to Sawayama which made the listener feel a range of emotions throughout the album.
  15. Apr 18, 2020
    An absolutely excellent album. She bends elements from almost every genre into 13 amazing tracks. Every song has it’s own identity, yet the album remains VERY cohesive. In short, she did that.
  16. Apr 18, 2020
    It's delicious to hear this album. It's powerfull and mame my mind blow! Great job
  17. Apr 18, 2020
    This album was so good. I think that this can win AOTY at the Grammys this was fire.
  18. Apr 17, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sawayama te folla el cerebro, al igual que Rina se follo a la música con este disco, la domo, la hizo su perra y esta volteo y le dijo rico bebe, mientras Rina se fumaba un cigarrillo, tanta genialidad en un disco abruma. Expand
  19. Apr 17, 2020
    album of the year.. we have to stan for her works. She is best in rock/pop mixing
  20. Apr 18, 2020
    this album is a masterpiece... to simply put it. Never thought I’d hear an early 2000s rock and pop/rnb vibe sound so modern
  21. Oct 13, 2020
    THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR it talks about serious topics. the sounds and PRODUCTION IS INSANEEE everything just fits it’s insane
  22. Dec 2, 2020
    An incredibly put together body of work that not only has hits, but also tells a story. A real album.
  23. Oct 21, 2020
    As a 31 year old, hearing anything 00's esc is fun for me. To hear a 2020 album that includes so many 00's references and sounds was something I didn't realise I needed in my life. Whilst personally I don't love every single track, I must say I adore the majority. It feels original, but still wonderful reminder of 00's greatness!
  24. Jul 23, 2020
    talented brilliant incredible amazing show stopping espectacular never the same totally unique completely never been done before
  25. Apr 3, 2021
    Rina Sawayama is an exceptional artist. Her debut album provides a window into her world & what a wonderful world it is. Listening to the songs in order is an ethereal experience. One of the best pop albums of 2020
  26. Jul 27, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uffff de los mejores álbum que he escuchado en toda mi vida, gracias DiosRina x darnos tanto arte Expand
  27. Sep 16, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is just pure art, is the only word for this album, is like to be in the heaven for a long time, rina knows how to mix genres totally differents, for example in STFU he get to mix rock, pop and a couple genres more, listen this album, u don't gonna get disappoint Expand
  28. Feb 19, 2021
    Rina’s debut album has a lot of different genres contrasting. Although it can be very tricky and risky to use a combination of contrasting styles, the attempt is 100% successful. Sawayama talks about a lot of different themes, from consumerism to Rina’s experience as an asian woman and the microagressions she has faced.
  29. Apr 6, 2021
    I have no words to describe SAWAYAMA, I have never had contact with such sophisticated art in my life. You can't find a bad song on this album, it serves pop music perfectly as in 'Comme Des Garçons (Like The Boys)' and rock of the highest quality like 'STFU!', 'AKASAKA SAD' and 'WHO'S GONNA SAVE YOU NOW' ? .

The album follows the theme of family and identity, I feel touched when I hear

The album follows the theme of family and identity, I feel touched when I hear the singer's experiences. Listening to SAWAYAMA is always a new experience, it is like receiving a hug. SAWAYAMA changed my life and made me rethink my identity, I can't express how perfect this album is, just listen to it.
  30. Jul 17, 2022
    9/10 - SAWAYAMA is almost a flawless album. There are so many strong songs that blend genres and defy the rules of music. Rina’s experimentation shows in this album and it absolutely worked in her favor. I will say even though the songs are so good, I just cannot listen to them multiple times in a row. That is my only complaint: that I cannot abuse the album. This may come to benefit me in9/10 - SAWAYAMA is almost a flawless album. There are so many strong songs that blend genres and defy the rules of music. Rina’s experimentation shows in this album and it absolutely worked in her favor. I will say even though the songs are so good, I just cannot listen to them multiple times in a row. That is my only complaint: that I cannot abuse the album. This may come to benefit me in the future because I can forever cherish it. Akasaka Sad, XS, We Out Here, STFU!, Bees & Honey, Dynasty, and Snakeskin are massive smash bops but I simply couldn’t put them on repeat. Still, the project is decade-defining. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. May 19, 2020
    On this stunning debut, Sawayama captures Dua Lipa's future nostalgia and Poppy's metal-meets-pop savvy, rightfully making it her own with more depth, bigger thrills, and a limitless palette.
  2. May 4, 2020
    SAWAYAMA appears poised to be one of the best pop albums of the year and sets Sawayama up as a pop force to be reckoned with.
  3. Apr 30, 2020
    The album is a complicated picture of Swayama’s past, present, and future. It is rare to see a debut album with such a fully realized voice and vision behind it. What’s more, she exorcises her personal demons amid some of the year’s best dancefloor-filling pop.