• Record Label: Capitol

Buy Now
Buy on

Review this album

1. Jan 18, 2022
    This is a cracking album, full of melodic invention, great hooks, biting lyrics, fine musicianship and caustic wit. As always with Costello, there is compassion and humanity to be found, but not easily or without the trials and tribulations of life’s many complexities. Or more simply put, 12 great pop songs delivered by people who know what they are doing.
  2. Jan 17, 2022
    A work of genius. I suppose some my call
    It a “return to form”. Personally I think he’s been on red hot fork for 45 years so what do I know?

Universal acclaim - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 19, 2022
    All in all, this is yet another strong album in a career full of them and while he doesn’t reinvent the wheel or break much new ground here, any chance to hear the master play the style he’s so good at is not to be missed.
  2. Jan 19, 2022
    The Imposters have never sounded better on record -- and they've never sounded more like the Attractions, either, which isn't entirely a coincidence -- and that helps give The Boy Named If its infectious kick: it may feel like an old-fashioned Elvis Costello album, but it sounds entirely fresh.
  3. Jan 19, 2022
    Costello fans will find many delights in The Boy Named If. For one, his 32nd studio album sounds smashing. Sebastian Krys’ mix stresses the textures of acoustic instruments without walloping listeners; Costello’s guitar, as restless as a child at a symphony even on solid albums like When I Was Cruel and Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, burrows right between Faragher’s bass and Nieve’s keyboards, enunciating hook after hook.