• Network: Netflix
Season #: 3, 2, 1
6.3

Watch Now

1. Jan 14, 2022
    I really liked seasons 1&2 because of its unforgiving look at grief. There's nothing romantic about losing someone you love, and the two first seasons are unafraid to paint Tony as someone who simply doesn't get over it. While there are some great jokes and wonderful characters, Tony's grief is the black heart of the show and allows him only pale shades of any real happiness. That's theI really liked seasons 1&2 because of its unforgiving look at grief. There's nothing romantic about losing someone you love, and the two first seasons are unafraid to paint Tony as someone who simply doesn't get over it. While there are some great jokes and wonderful characters, Tony's grief is the black heart of the show and allows him only pale shades of any real happiness. That's the twist.

Season 3 seems to have allowed Tony to not only get comfortable and accepting, but taken a turn for the maudlin and smarmy. Cancer kids? Look at life from both sides now? Disappearing into the...what? I mean, Gervais is a well-known atheist so what, atheists can have heaven too? I get the desire to paint a rostier picture for accepting death, but this goes over the top for me. I feel that the darker episodes of 1 & 2, which really hot harder, have been cheated. Still love Gervais, and the series overall, but the end nerfed the means for me.
  2. Jan 15, 2022
    Bad reviews are becoming recently recommandations. Wonderful series about life, grief and human frailty and strength. crying and laughing at the same time. That's it.
  3. Jan 20, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It baffles me that this vanity project from a once good writer is regarded so highly by the great unwashed. This show exists purely for Ricky gervais to make a character that is just him, and to pay actors so that he can make his carefully written jokes seem like quick and witty retorts, and so that people can say how amazing he is at everything.

Every character in this show exists purely at the convenience of the protagonist. He bullies and tears them down constantly and then he keeps them around so they can call him a wonderful person despite the fact that he’s awful.

This show is written for complete morons, there is zero subtlety in anything. I thought it couldn’t get any worse but then he visits a child’s cancer ward and donates money which appeared as a convenient plot device.

I especially love the scene where he takes the mick out of the romance writer because her dialogue is so bad and obvious I.e ‘im crying because I hate racism’ because it is almost indistinguishable from something Ricky would write unironically.

This is possibly the worst show ever made but I enjoy hate watching it and seeing how much poorer it will get with every season. I’m expecting a cameo from coldplay next series
  4. Jan 21, 2022
    Beautiful and emotional last season. There should be more shows that are really good and only 25/30 min per episode.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Carol Midgley
    Jan 21, 2022
    I eked out the episodes because I didn't want it to end. It was brimming with humanity and deliciously "wrong" humour.
  2. Reviewed by: Abby Robinson
    Jan 14, 2022
    It’s a tricky theme [grief] to navigate in a single season, let alone three, and while Gervais succeeded in making it bearable, even entertaining, in After Life’s premiere, it has stalled here.
  3. Reviewed by: Jade Budowski
    Jan 14, 2022
    While there’s something undeniably charming about the world of After Life, its final season is bland and forgettable, weighed down by cliché dialogue and a muddled tone.