• Network: FOX , TBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 6, 2005
Season #: 17, 15, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
7.6

1. Jan 15, 2012
    I'll admit, I watched the first few episodes when it first aired and did not like it. But years later, after watching a full season and getting to know the characters, I like it better than Family Guy. It might not be for everyone's sense of humor, but if you like Family Guy, then you'll probably grow to like American Dad! equally if you give is a fair chance.
  2. Feb 21, 2011
    What A Great Show! I Love American Dad! (As Well As Family Guy, And The Cleveland Show) This Show Is Very Creative, Good Sold Story's, Funny, And Very Good Voice Acting... The 1st Season Is Just A Little Down In My Rating, But Still Season 1 Is Good, But The Other Seasons Are Ever Better!
  3. Jun 29, 2011
    Better than Family Guy in almost every way. American Dad! is more daring, funny, witty and exciting than Family Guy, and it doesn't have annoying, painful to listen to listen to characters (Chris, Meg, Quagmire etc.)
    Probably my favorite animated comedy.
  4. Mar 3, 2012
    When it comes to one of Seth MacFarlane's three shows, the least annoying would probably be American Dad. The first few episodes were nothing special, especially since everyone was still tuned into the behemoth as Family Guy. American Dad follows the same formula, or cliché if you will, as Family Guy does: Attractive wife, older disowned daughter, younger awkward, nerdyWhen it comes to one of Seth MacFarlane's three shows, the least annoying would probably be American Dad. The first few episodes were nothing special, especially since everyone was still tuned into the behemoth as Family Guy. American Dad follows the same formula, or cliché if you will, as Family Guy does: Attractive wife, older disowned daughter, younger awkward, nerdy brother, talking animal and a random talking creature. Is this show funny? Yes, it can be. If a person who's a Family guy fan would start watching this, he would disagree, but if you give the series some time, watch a few more episodes, it is definitely the better program. Now that Family Guy is seriously wearing off in it's comedic charm, American Dad is getting slightly better. 7/10. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2012
    I'm a big Fan of Seth MacFarlane's cartoons. I absolutely love Family Guy, but I love American Dad even more. I find it utterly hillarious. There has never been an episode where I've not laughed.

Roger is the best character. I like wiiiiiinnnneee.
  6. Apr 22, 2013
    Better then Family Guy (After season 7), The Simpsons (After season 5), Futurama, Bobs Burgers, Cleveland Show, King of the Hill (Not even remotely funny). The only cartoons better then this are South Park and Drawn Together (They need to bring it back). American Dad. Honestly Steve is to freaking halarious (funnier then Chris) when he freaks out I literally die, watch American Dad'sBetter then Family Guy (After season 7), The Simpsons (After season 5), Futurama, Bobs Burgers, Cleveland Show, King of the Hill (Not even remotely funny). The only cartoons better then this are South Park and Drawn Together (They need to bring it back). American Dad. Honestly Steve is to freaking halarious (funnier then Chris) when he freaks out I literally die, watch American Dad's episode Family Affairs, you will see. Haley weird and funny and Jeff. Francine and Lois are both great can't compare. Stan better then Peter after (season 7) now he is funny as and last but not least ROGER!!!!!!!!! (Im a guy and for me to write it like that thats something) He is ttooooooooooooooooooooooooo halarious. Especially his personas. Principle Louis I would love if my principle was him or not he is too funny. The Fish cant spell his name, how they ignore him and treat him is to funny (Not as good as Meg) but its there. I am literally moe an AD fan then FG. If I could only but AD or FG dvd's AD takes the cake. WATCH THIS SHOW. Expand
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    It is an overall funny series and I enjoy watching episodes I've already seen 5 or 6 times. I must admit I enjoy family guy a little bit more simply for it relating to celebrities and real events much more often, but this is still a great show.
  8. Jan 10, 2012
    Not even remotely entertaining. It's the same tired Seth McFarlane cartoon formula: anthropomorphic animal family member, dumb kids, father figure who gets sucked into hairbrained schemes and shenanigans.

I know Fox must have felt bad for cancelling Family Guy back in the day, but giving a guy who ran out of jokes a long time ago 200% more time slot to fill each week was a terrible idea.
  9. Ndi
    Jun 4, 2013
    American Dad! is Show nr 2 from Seth and it shows. All the best stuff (if you like that kind of stuff) goes to Family Guy. What falls through or doesn't fit makes it to American Dad. Really poor humor falls through to Cleveland Show.

If you take the entire series and trim it to 1 out of 3 episodes, it's quite good, actually. Unfortunately, a lot of episodes simply don't go anywhere, they are cookie cutter episodes about Roger being a behind, doing unforgivable stuff that nobody seems to mind, and getting guff about easy ones, plus, he likes costumes and takes it a bit too far. There, I summarized 66% of American Dad!

It does have good pieces, but overall it does not rate above mediocre. Especially when there are good shows out there being cancelled, making room for this half baked show. It is just good enough to watch, though I sometimes skip and get them 2-3 at a time, so I get a good one.
  10. Oct 4, 2011
    AMERICAN DAD! is better than FAMILY GUY, which was also created by Seth MacFarlane, for those who hadn't heard yet, as it is smarter, cleverer, and funnier. But still, MacFarlane has trouble making us laugh. Some episodes are downright hilarious; the rest are just dull and easy to change the channel on. Same premise as FAMILY GUY, different family.
  11. Feb 4, 2011
    This show is literally crap. If you're thinking of watching this, don't bother. It's basically a rip off of Family Guy only less funny. I would recommend watching something else like The Simpsons or South Park.
  12. Oct 24, 2011
    I can't believe people watch this crap. American Dad is terrible and unoriginal. I registered for metacritic simply to give it a 0. Watch Futurama or South Park or The Simpsons. This show is a complete joke compared to all of them.
  13. Jul 5, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, American Dad is a good show. But it is in no way as good as Family Guy. It's not even close to Family Guy. Family Guy has better writing, better jokes, and is just better
  14. Jan 30, 2013
    This is not Family Guy, so please don't compare the two cuz' you'll be disappointed. But, as the seasons have gone on I have become more and more disappointed with this show. Even the alien is rarely funny these days. The latest one I watched was a "play" episode-which was original in premise but deflating and a true measurement of how far this show has sunk.
  15. Jul 4, 2012
    I can't believe you people watch this! This show is boring and has lame jokes to it. Family Guy is better cause it's more original than American Dad. The show is a copy of Family Guy that just tires me out. Family Guy I have to admit isn't as funny as it used to be. I mean lets face it, the world isn't as funny anymore, cause people are running out of jokes. But the maker of The Simpsons,I can't believe you people watch this! This show is boring and has lame jokes to it. Family Guy is better cause it's more original than American Dad. The show is a copy of Family Guy that just tires me out. Family Guy I have to admit isn't as funny as it used to be. I mean lets face it, the world isn't as funny anymore, cause people are running out of jokes. But the maker of The Simpsons, I'm surprised he can think of more jokes for the show and more plots for new episodes. I am just amazed this show is still on after being on since 1989. But really guys, American Dad is NOT funny and is boring and stupid. Expand
  16. Jul 30, 2013
    This! This is better than family guy.. in a way. Family guy has more scenes where someone thinks back or talks about what happen when something happens.. The annoying parts like when it turns into a broken record player or begins to play conway twity music... This is a "show" not some music countdown and besides who puts in 5 minutes of his music concert.

American dad is'nt family guy.

American dad is'nt family guy. 6/10 keep up the good work! If i were to rate family guy. I would rate it low as can be, they'v changed too much and i started to look away from family guy when they started showing all the nonsence.. But the old episodes/seasons (1- 5 or so) are great
  17. Nov 20, 2014
    Whilst not as good as the original and the best; Family Guy - American Dad has my favourite character of any animation or sitcom. Rodger the Alien by far creates and makes this program, and is the soul reason I have kept coming back for more; even after all these years. It's worth the time just to sit down and watch one episode, that's all it took me to get reasonably hooked on theWhilst not as good as the original and the best; Family Guy - American Dad has my favourite character of any animation or sitcom. Rodger the Alien by far creates and makes this program, and is the soul reason I have kept coming back for more; even after all these years. It's worth the time just to sit down and watch one episode, that's all it took me to get reasonably hooked on the program. Whilst not the funniest, and several episodes fall very flat off the mark, the quick wit and dark humor is ever present. This is what will reel you in like fish to a baited hook. Expand
  18. Aug 7, 2013
    This is my favorite of all these "types" of show. With Family Guy and such. I know that every character in this show can make me laugh. Where in the other shows only a few characters can make me laugh.
  19. Nov 9, 2014
    Dopo I Simpson e Family Guy,American Dad è la miglior serie televisiva che io abbia mai visto in tutta la mia vita.Non sarà coinvolgente quanto le avventure della famiglia Griffin,però è davvero emozionante e divertente,con personaggi davvero buffi che non dimenticherete mai.Un capolavoro assoluto.
  20. Nov 21, 2011
    Manages to top Family Guy in every possible way. The episodes are consistently good and Roger the Alien is personally my favourite cartoon character of all time. This review is coming from a fan of Family Guy but discovering this I've found out that it is a more fresh programme, even though the recent season of Family Guy with the Murder Mystery episode was one of the best.
  21. Feb 14, 2011
    Seth Macfarlane pokes fun at the typical family from the other side of the fence. Stan's ego and CIA job lend to his shenanigans while Roger, the alien Stan rescued, is an alcoholic drama queen with a passion for impersonating people. A diverse cast of characters are always at hand to stimulate and assist Stan's can-do attitude. How any episode ends is a wonder.
  22. Mar 2, 2019
    As has also proven to be the case with The Cleveland Show Seth McFarlane has been unable to translate the humour of Family Guy into another animated show meaning that, while it has the odd funny moment, this first season of American Dad isn't really worth bothering with.
  23. Jul 16, 2011
    Quite a good show but nowhere near as funny as family guy, I only laughed out loud a few times when watching this, I would recommend family guy, simpsons and futurama, all are funnier than american dad.
  24. Mar 17, 2012
    American Dad has different humor than Family Guy, and thats not a bad thing. I absolutely love both Family Guy and American Dad, but for some reason my dad hates Family Guy and loves this.
  25. Dec 15, 2011
    Many people think American Dad! is a less funny version of Family Guy. They came to that conclusion because they watched the first season and got bored of it. I'm giving this a positive rating because I've seen every single episode. If the first two seasons were as good as the last 6, I would give it a 10/10. The most recent episodes (especially from season 7) are much better than anyMany people think American Dad! is a less funny version of Family Guy. They came to that conclusion because they watched the first season and got bored of it. I'm giving this a positive rating because I've seen every single episode. If the first two seasons were as good as the last 6, I would give it a 10/10. The most recent episodes (especially from season 7) are much better than any Family Guy episode. I love Family Guy, but I really love American Dad! Expand
  26. Feb 14, 2012
    When this first started on tv I didn't like it at all. Pretty much I didn't give it a chance. Since the first 6 seasons are on netflix i started watching it and watched it straight through and now I firmly believe American Dad is funnier than family guy. It's smarter and doesn't rely on cutting to random scenes every few minutes. Roger is a classic character in the likes of stewie.
  27. May 29, 2012
    So Amazing! So Funny! Rodger Is The Heart And Soul Of Ths Show!
    The Jokes Are So Funny Great Show If You Like Family Guy You;ll Like This!
  28. May 10, 2015
    American Dad while starting as a generic and desperate attempt at political humor has recently found its identity. And I'm beginning to respect it.

While American Dad begun as a tasteless Family Guy clone with a mediocre cast and Futurama-esque elements, its strange casual sense of humor has slowly started to improve in later episodes. The initial difference you can see between

The initial difference you can see between American Dad and Family guy is that American Dad abandons the reliance on cutaway gags. In the first season this is tedious, even painful. There's a recurring issue with racist jokes simply going too far, though this seems to be less and less of an issue in later episodes. But over time, particularly in the fourth season onward it begins to work to its advantage.

Take away a man's eyesight, his hearing can improve. Take away Seth's cutaways, he can get creative. As American Dad got less popular, its audience became niche. This meant it could go more in depth with its humor, smaller coverage but thicker spread. Its unquestionable main attraction Roger Smith, an Alien disguised as a human presents an intriguing selling point in that he's rarely noticed as an extra- terrestrial. Having lived on earth since the fifties, he's become more human than most of its residents and becomes an entertaining parody of the sheltered suburban attitude that we can attain. He adopts thousands of personas to hide from the government, resulting in a habit to roleplay, create different characters and alter his personality completely to match them.

I haven't seen a roleplayer in a show until this.

While it may not be mainstream, this sort of gag appeals to me and apparently a niche beyond myself. It can be crass sometimes, but little scenes like Roger and Francine attempting roleplay (not the sexual kind, just actual roleplay) can quickly evolve into surprisingly funny and even clever commentaries. This makes the less and less frequent political humor more appreciated, and when it does come it's significantly sharper. In losing so much of its audience, American Dad has learned to better itself through creative plots, dynamic settings and characters, a strange "everyone is welcome" voice of humor that acknowledges different hobbies and sexualities but never damns or degrades any of them and an increasingly unique flavor that I've learned to look forward to each time it updates on netflix.
  29. Dec 2, 2012
    If you have seen Family Guy it is worth checking out American Dad. American Dad is basically Family Guy, if Family Guy had multi-dimensional characters, real plot and character development. And witty humor that doesn't rely on cutaway gags or an endless string of pop culture references for cheap laughs. The show has a fabulous mix of smart and twisted comedy mixed with some genuinelyIf you have seen Family Guy it is worth checking out American Dad. American Dad is basically Family Guy, if Family Guy had multi-dimensional characters, real plot and character development. And witty humor that doesn't rely on cutaway gags or an endless string of pop culture references for cheap laughs. The show has a fabulous mix of smart and twisted comedy mixed with some genuinely lovable characters.

Chances are, if you know what you're getting yourself into. You will have a good time.
  30. Apr 28, 2015
    What's one thing this show does better than Family Guy? Trick question, everything. This show is actually funny! Mainly the character Roger, but I don't think too much of Roger is bad.
  31. Sep 1, 2014
    American Dad is a fun and parodic tv show who,unfortunately falls into childish humour and violent scenes.The characters are bad and the story is stupid but the show can,somehow,keep people entertained.
  32. Nov 26, 2015
    American Dad is not as consistently funny as Seth MacFarlane's other television show Family Guy but it does offer a handful of good moments. The show is just not as consistently funny in this first season. There are some obvious similarities between the American Dad characters and the Family Guy characters and sadly the American Dad characters are no where near as funny. Stan stands out asAmerican Dad is not as consistently funny as Seth MacFarlane's other television show Family Guy but it does offer a handful of good moments. The show is just not as consistently funny in this first season. There are some obvious similarities between the American Dad characters and the Family Guy characters and sadly the American Dad characters are no where near as funny. Stan stands out as the funniest characters by far and the only one that is comparable to the Family Guy ensemble. The storylines are somewhat original but they are not intriguing enough to keep your attention. I've heard the show gets more of an identity later on so if I continue to poke away at this show on Netflix I may get some enjoyment out of it. Expand
  33. Oct 4, 2014
    Well, still better than Family Guy. Wonder why all these shows HAVE TO include an unfunny sociopathic character who can get away with anything (think: Stewie or even Bender), and here we have Roger. He is not all bad, but still, somewhat a cliché.
  34. Apr 1, 2015
    amazing show!!! (-: I like it!!!! it is so funny and i love to watch the show with my friends and drink a beer. if you got some free time' and if you have beer you have to watch it!!!

Mixed or average reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Sid Smith
    Jul 10, 2013
    As with "Guy," the idea is to cram this new animated cartoon series with a laugh a second, or at least a second-by-second attempt. Trouble is, too many of the laughs are so-so, too fleetingly funny or disturbingly potty-mouthed. [4 Feb 2005]
  2. Kansas City Star