• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 5, 2011
Season #: 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
7.0

1. Oct 28, 2015
    So far the show has been predictable, void of any original thoughts, and overall a big letdown from previous seasons. The acting gets 10/10, but the writing is what kills it. The story line is so cut and dry. And the "horror" in American Horror Story seems to have been lost in the wake of Gaga's entrance. And on that note, she really is doing a great job as the leading lady. Okay so herSo far the show has been predictable, void of any original thoughts, and overall a big letdown from previous seasons. The acting gets 10/10, but the writing is what kills it. The story line is so cut and dry. And the "horror" in American Horror Story seems to have been lost in the wake of Gaga's entrance. And on that note, she really is doing a great job as the leading lady. Okay so her character is a stereotype for the plot, but she gives it a little something extra.

Gaga's performance alone can't save the show. There are more sex scenes than scare scenes. Rename this season AHS: Sex, Drugs, and Vampires. Hopefully the show will improve as the season continues. The plot has just started getting interesting, so here's to hoping all the cliches and lack luster corner jumps are over.
  2. Jan 6, 2016
    This season was disappointing to me. The acting is okay and stylistically it is good but the story line is extremely boring and nearly puts me to sleep every week. I will finish the season just because I am such an AHS fan but it is hard to do, almost a chore watching it.
  3. Oct 9, 2015
    it's no surprise that this season is the lowest professionally reviewed one. the cast is incredible as usual, but lange is really missed. lady gaga has nothing to do in here. a good thing was that she only appeared for about 5 minutes in the first episode. the story is a little bit poor but the photography and tehcnical aspecs are ok, will give it a change, but really hope gaga's characterit's no surprise that this season is the lowest professionally reviewed one. the cast is incredible as usual, but lange is really missed. lady gaga has nothing to do in here. a good thing was that she only appeared for about 5 minutes in the first episode. the story is a little bit poor but the photography and tehcnical aspecs are ok, will give it a change, but really hope gaga's character appears a max of that 5 mins per episode.. if not i will stop watching. she CAN´T ak. get over it. Expand
  4. Dec 1, 2015
    The more the season goes on, the worse it gets. I originally loved this season after the first 2 or so episodes, but recently, it has become a complete mess.
  5. Oct 8, 2015
    So far, this premiere episode has been the weirdest episode I have ever seen on American Horror Story...or maybe on television. The plot's confusing and the episode's overstuffed with things that we should see later in the season. The storyline needs more publishing before print. However, the acting and the sets are the things that save the episode from being a completely mediocre episode.So far, this premiere episode has been the weirdest episode I have ever seen on American Horror Story...or maybe on television. The plot's confusing and the episode's overstuffed with things that we should see later in the season. The storyline needs more publishing before print. However, the acting and the sets are the things that save the episode from being a completely mediocre episode. Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Matt Bomer, and even Lady Gaga definitely make an impression in their first scenes. Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2015
    Not the best of starts for this season of AHS, continuing (maybe) the tradition set by the last two seasons, undeniably weaker than both Murder House and Asylum. When AHS hit the screens for the first time, it was actually kind of scary... we can't say the same about Hotel, which is, yes, daunting, but has little to do with the titular "horror". The acting can rely on regulars such asNot the best of starts for this season of AHS, continuing (maybe) the tradition set by the last two seasons, undeniably weaker than both Murder House and Asylum. When AHS hit the screens for the first time, it was actually kind of scary... we can't say the same about Hotel, which is, yes, daunting, but has little to do with the titular "horror". The acting can rely on regulars such as Kathy Bates and Sarah Paulson, so we can almost rest assured they will grant the same level of performance they had so far.

The decor of the Hotel Cortez on its own merits a great applause, and the cinematography is, as usual, very good for a TV show. It's the story I have my doubts about already.
  7. Oct 9, 2015
    I have been a fan of AHS since the premiere of season 1. It was pretty much my favorite show and I thought the first three seasons were great (even though some people didn't like coven). I had been awaiting the arrival of freakshow, but when it finally aired it was as if it didn't have that same kind of magic AHS is known for. When they announced it was to be Jessica Lange's final season,I have been a fan of AHS since the premiere of season 1. It was pretty much my favorite show and I thought the first three seasons were great (even though some people didn't like coven). I had been awaiting the arrival of freakshow, but when it finally aired it was as if it didn't have that same kind of magic AHS is known for. When they announced it was to be Jessica Lange's final season, I knew the show was going to go downhill, fast. And although the first episode of hotel was not as bad as freakshow was, it kind of just repelled me away. I don't know, and you don't have to agree with me (which I know most of you hardcore fans that don't want to say anything bad about it will) but it just doesn't feel like the same AHS I have known and loved over the past few years. I only now realize that Jessica Lange was kind of the glue holding the whole show together, and now it's all just falling apart. Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2018
    AHS: Hotel was so comically inept that its addictive glamour and B-movie cheese prevailed over its brutally boring gore, unfocused storytelling, and ostentatious sexuality. (4/10)
  9. WJS
    Dec 16, 2015
    This show has great production design but, of course, that doesn't help make it any better. It's really a big disappointment and, having now watched all of the seasons of American Horror Story, this was my least favorite. Lady Gaga just can't replace Jessica Lange and you can only watch so many throat slashing without thinking "here we go again".
  10. Jan 30, 2016
    Miss Hazel Evers: "There are more stains in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

OK I'm just going to start the review off like this, American Horror Story: Hotel was really disappointing. It sucks saying that, because I enjoyed the past seasons and I was really looking forward to this one. It's not the worse season ever made (I've seen much worse), but I really didn't care about this season or what was going on. I know a lot of people are going to defend this no matter what and it's fine if you like this season, but sadly I just wanted more from it.

Evan Peters, Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson and Denis O'Hare were hands down the stand outs of this season. All four of them were so brilliant and unique in their roles. They made this season watchable as the characters are interesting and the back story's are engaging.

I can tell a lot of effort went into this and the people behind the scenes really do care about this show. I respect that and it's must be really heartbreaking that this season didn't do very well when it comes to being well received from critics. Lets just hope that hard work will pay off in the next season.

Jessica Lange isn't in this season (I wouldn't blame her), but who replaced her as the somewhat of a lead is lady Gaga, and that's when I got seriously worried. Gaga isn't the best actress in the world and I was very curious what she can bring to the show. Lady Gaga acting in the show wasn't anything that great or even special. She was really wooden and the other actors in the show really outshine her. I was so mad when she won the Golden Globe, as Kirsten Dunst should have won for Fargo, but that's just award shows.

And that's really what I think of this season, as everything else I've already forgotten about. I just wish this season would give me more of the horror and least of the vampire bullsh*t. I hope the next season is better than the season that we got.
  11. Nov 14, 2015
    I feel like this season of AHS is like as another person put it "one long lady gaga music video". It's full of things that are supposed to "shock" you, like drag queens, drug use, and extreme sex, yet beyond that if doesn't have much substance. Also, in 2015, those things aren't very shocking anymore. Beyond, that the actual story is pretty blah. A man's failing relationship with his wifeI feel like this season of AHS is like as another person put it "one long lady gaga music video". It's full of things that are supposed to "shock" you, like drag queens, drug use, and extreme sex, yet beyond that if doesn't have much substance. Also, in 2015, those things aren't very shocking anymore. Beyond, that the actual story is pretty blah. A man's failing relationship with his wife over their abducted son, "modern day vampires"? Nothing that hasn't been done a hundred times already and better. I'm halfway through the season and there's still characters who I don't understand who they are or how they relate to the other ones, despite the show trying to explain it to me. Expand
  12. Dec 21, 2015
    Is the season with more sex of all. Resembles me Asylum, except this season be miserably bad. Lady Gaga's performance is poor and amateurish. In my opinion, is the worst season of American Horror Story.
  13. Oct 15, 2016
    This is definitely AHS worst season.
    The whole hotel ambient could've been used better. Although the beautiful decoration of the hotel, seems to don't have real guests, just a few to fulfil the blood thirsty. The show has become formulaic.
    This is definitely AHS worst season.
    It' notorious Jessica Lange's talent is not on the show, besides Denis O'Hare, Sarah Paulson and Katy Bathes the rest of the cast is flat. I'm disappointed with Evan Peters, his accent sound forced and fake.
    I think biggest flaw of this season it's that this season doesn't even feel like AHS anymore. New cast like Lady Gaga makes the show feel more commercial. Lady Gaga is good at being her own character, but not as an actress. I don't know, the characters and the use of the location doesn't make it feel like AHS used to be.
  14. Oct 2, 2017
    Gaga's spectacular as is the whole cast. But there were stories that led nowhere, even though the horror element was not absent. American Horror Story: Hotel is enjoyable yet a wee bit trashy.
  15. Sep 26, 2019
    Season 5 is a mixed bag to me. There's some good characters and interesting arcs, but it slogs through a lot of stupid **** and dialogue. The characters lose their intrigue, the writing is very bland in spots, and it doesn't finish as strongly as some other seasons. It's fitting that this is season 5 because it's very middle of the road in terms of quality and i'm giving it a 5 rating.

1. Reviewed by: Spencer Kornhaber
    Oct 8, 2015
    If this all sounds immensely convoluted and sadistic, well, welcome to American Horror Story. But there’s reason to hope that this will be among the better messes the show has served up.... Hotel’s premiere returned to the frightening essentials--death, desire, and property deeds.
  2. Although the first episode runs for a bloated 90 minutes, it provides only scant hints of a main plot thread.... So once again, I'm confronted with an AHS season that appears to be more gross than engrossing. Alas, I may not be able to check out of the Hotel Cortez, but at least I can change the channel.
  3. Reviewed by: Ben Travers
    Oct 7, 2015
    Aside from the always sterling production design--there is one audacious sign of hope in this otherwise trite Hotel.... I wouldn't go so far as to say Gaga's talent adds much to the proceedings, but her presence--and the manner in which its captured — certainly does.