• Network: NETFLIX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 25, 2019
3.7

1. Aug 3, 2019
    Huminty's elite crew of astronauts have members who don't know what a cerebral cortex is. They think that a planet in the "goldie locks zone" is likely to have edible plants. They are so immature that they fight to the death over their egos, first chance they get. Or the everyone involved with this project is dumb AF. I hope they dont vote. This show is a dumpster fire.
  2. Jul 28, 2019
    Samuel Anderson's performance as the AI stole the show, Katee Sackhoff and her character was more believable than anything else.
    It had the recipe to be a great sci-fi series but it's just plagued with inconsistencies and stupidity, bickering over little things in space, over acting of the supporting characters and the lack of common sense as humans is unbelievable.
    Add this to the
    Add this to the growing list of Netflix trash.
  3. Aug 9, 2019
    The trailer promises aliens, scifi, mystery, pretty much the works. You'd expect something exciting, a compelling plot. Yet about half-hour in, we get the reality: an otherwise promising sounding storyline spoiled but atrocious writing and even worse acting.

We all know we have to suspend disbelief for the screen. This series takes that suspension and promptly chucks it out the nearest window. The writers do not bother to even TRY and impinge the SLIGHTEST bit of "reality" or even "rationality" into the plot. Geez - please at least do some cursory research about space travel; maybe watch some documentaries, or other scifi series. The writers seem to be only versed in vapid teen theatrics vs. any semblance of what a real drama should entail, let alone one set in space.
    ***very very minor spoilers ahead... hard to spoil this abomination***
    The crew selected to make a perilous space voyage and save mankind are a ragtag mixture of uber-emotional hormone-drenched 20-something millennials, apparently chosen primarily for their ethnic diversity and good looks (though PE standards must have dropped as there is also a very emotional fat guy with severely limited skills on board).

Some of the crew lack any prior experience in space ("first time in artificial gravity?" one moron asks another) and none have anything resembling the "right stuff" of yore. You'd expect that anyone chosen to go to space, let alone save humankind, would be trained and somewhat experienced, capable of keeping their cool and not throwing an emotional tantrum every 5 minutes, not to mention trying to kill each other over who gets to run the ship (yes, all these things happen). Most of the crew's time on-board is spent quibbling, psychoanalyzing past traumas or screwing in nearly all the possible permutations of crew coupling.

The writer's basically create a floating "big brother" style dorm in space with a few "mean girls" to add the requisite spice and tantrums. It's humanity's most important mission and yet you can't help but think you are watching a soporific relationship soap by teens studying Drama 101 in college, who should be partying it up in a frat rather than plotting a course through the stars. It's like a crew of attitudinally maladjusted Wesley's (for you Star Trek fans) with nary an adult present, though even he would be far too mature for this show.

What does truly stand out is how Katee Sackhoff, who did such an admirable job in Battlestar Galactica (great show BTW), could keep a straight face speaking the banal lines she was assigned. The paycheck must have been substantial.

And also as seems to be trendy these days, all men have been relegated to either roles comprising of villains, morons or junior-level nerds. Every character of any significance is female. Given the near total absence of male leading roles, rampant courting, coupling and squabbling, it seems the PC writers and directors intended this melodramatic series as a frivolous, reality-show styled endeavor, lest anyone have to think too hard.

Overall, the writing, plot, acting, directing - all reek of being phoned in. Words cannot describe how atrocious, how insipid, how amateurish the dialogue is. If you really have a hankering for scifi, please just watch a Star Trek rerun, The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, basically anything else. Few things are this bad. Really. Truly. This hysterical hormone-soaked romp is nothing but a vapid teen soap opera in space. Half the time I just felt I was waiting for someone to reveal themselves to be a vampire or a werewolf (at least then the plot might have taken a more serious turn). This show is an utter farce taking itself waaaay to seriously. Please do NOT waste your time. If you must watch, have a six-pack ready. It will help. Or read a recap and save your time and sanity.
  4. Aug 24, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is nothing that works in this show, good acting is flawed by awful lines, the plot makes no sense, the science behind the story kicks in the balls of my suspension of disbelief.

“In a close future humanity can travel faster than light. And they do not explore the galaxy they just sit on our planet. A bored alien specie sent a huge boombox to drop da base and entertain humans. Pissed off since we can’t understand alien lines we send a spaceships with an experienced official and a crew of (self entitled) (snowflakes) (rioting) millenials to make a first contact our Fng way.

The computer makes a perfect job until an “antimatter field” on the trajectory requires to consult with the captain. As soon as the crew get out of the stasis the ship is wrecked by incorrect manoeuvring, mutiny, murders, madness, accidents, drift, exposure to biological risks, pandemic, attempted mass suicide and aliens. IN THE FIRST THREE EPISODES!!”

Fng Canadians!
  5. Jul 26, 2019
    Did this show forget to hire writers? Seems they only put money into the diversity hires and not actual talent. I want to like this show since my girl sackoff is in this. All the characters act like children. We are supposed to believe they are the top people the government selected to run a mission? All the characters in the show are the villains cause SJW writers cant write for shet.Did this show forget to hire writers? Seems they only put money into the diversity hires and not actual talent. I want to like this show since my girl sackoff is in this. All the characters act like children. We are supposed to believe they are the top people the government selected to run a mission? All the characters in the show are the villains cause SJW writers cant write for shet. They do not know how to write believable human people. Everything is forced, artificial in their every move and decision. Time to deactivate my Netflix account until something good happens on there again. Collapse Expand
  6. Jul 26, 2019
    ~Spoiler Free~

TLDR: Insanely sloppy and unbelievable sci-fi. The only redeeming points are performances from Samuel Anderson and to a lesser extent Katee Sackhoff, but it's nowhere near enough to make this mess worthwhile. Full Review: I just put myself through all 10 episodes of this trainwreck, and it was an irritating mess from start to finish. Plus Points: * There's clearly
    ~Spoiler Free~

Full Review:

Plus Points:
    * There's clearly at least a semi-reasonable budget behind the show, and some of the sets/CGI/effects are passable.
    * The cast overall is ok, and I really liked Samuel Anderson as "William"

Minus Points:
    * The Science! There's always a fair amount of disbelief to be granted in sci-fi, but some of the elements in this series are so out of touch it's very jarring, if you have even a cursory scientific knowledge. If the writers had bothered to watch even a 10 minute YouTube video on dark matter, they would have realised how dumb their depiction was, and made some amends. As is, they took a 'cool' sounding term from physics and then just went crazy. SMH.
    * The tone is all over the place, and just feels like a mess. Admittedly this did cause some unintentional comedy with how ridiculous some scenes were, but crikey it's bad.
    * The writing just feels lazy. It's naturally tough to create drama when you have competent characters, so the writing staff just took the easy route of making a large number of the spaceship 'crew' be irrational idiots. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I just can't imagine a future government choosing these 'astronauts' for such an important mission. Can you imagine the Star Ship Enterprise crewed by people that didn't make the cut for the ship in Prometheus? Yeah I don't want to either...

Conclusion:
    I'm marking this show down as one to watch if you have _literally_ nothing better to do, or have a taste for very dumb sci-fi. But even then there are much better options, as this show manages to avoid the "so bad it's good" category, and is simply disappointing.
  7. Jul 26, 2019
    It's quite simply pathetic from the beginning to the end. The characters are underdevelopped children with the ego of a superstar, there is not much plot because everything relies on teenage girl high school drama, special effects are meh, and far too many aspects of this "production" are "borrowed" from other movies and TV shows. Also, the series panders far too much to the PC crowd toIt's quite simply pathetic from the beginning to the end. The characters are underdevelopped children with the ego of a superstar, there is not much plot because everything relies on teenage girl high school drama, special effects are meh, and far too many aspects of this "production" are "borrowed" from other movies and TV shows. Also, the series panders far too much to the PC crowd to the point where the question has to be asked: who is the audience they wanted to target ? Instead of watching this, go watch any other flavour of cooking competitions, at least its edible there. Expand
  8. Jul 26, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely positively the most garbage sci-fi I have ever watched in my life.

I'm a huge fan of anything that has a spaceship and I've watched some crap.

This is simply the worst of the worst. Woke millennial nonsense teen drama in space. Hard pass. I even created a metacritic account just to rate this.
  9. Jul 28, 2019
    I'm not going to bring anything new to the table here, all of the shows issues have been clearly laid out by other bright folks all over the internet.

I will say this - I loved Sackhoff in BSG. I'm a huge sci-fi fan from way back. I was very exited about the prospect of this series. It disappointed in every way imaginable. i did watch all 10 episodes, with frequent breaks to regain

i did watch all 10 episodes, with frequent breaks to regain my composure in order to continue.

I was embarrassed for the cast, crew, production team, writers, Netflix bigwigs, just anyone involved really with bringing this thing into being.

i've watched some really really laughable stuff too, and enjoyed it for what it was...this thing went so far past "its so bad its good" I cant even begin to describe it.

Nothing redeemable here. Not one performance, moment, anything. Even William was ruined by where the writers took his story. What pleasure i could have derived from the death of the obnoxious communications woman was stripped away by the terrible writing and acting.

All that said, I recommend watching it. Just so you can say you saw the worst thing every put on a screen.
  10. Jul 31, 2019
    We don't get too many space fantasy shows so I really tried to give this one a shot. I'm almost done with the series for the sake of seeing it through but I honestly can't recommend it to anyone. The characters are unbelievable and out of place. You have a bunch of sex crazed teenagers leading one of earth's most important missions to date.

As many others have mentioned, Netflix tends

As many others have mentioned, Netflix tends to shove their "progressive" ideology down your throat, even if it doesn't make any sense or add anything to the story. Almost every episode is filled with extremely immature writing to almost laughable levels. Every time the show starts to pick up steam with an actual interesting ideas, the very next scene will make you shout at the screen "what the hell am I watching!" I honestly don't know who this stuff appeals to, but after reading the reviews it seems i'm not alone.

There so much potential for a good show here... its a shame that its painfully ruined by out of place characters that no one can relate to. Netflix - reevaluate your audience because i'm not sure who this **** is suppose to appeal to.
  11. Jul 27, 2019
    Love sci-fi unfortunately couldn't even get through the first episode, great main actress but the other cast are so miss placed it gets embarrassing.
  12. Jul 27, 2019
    Disappointing is the word here. An extremely paint by numbers series with the much over utilised "villain of the week" storyline with more than a whiff of a Scyfy series about it. A swing and a miss for Netflix here unfortunately.
  13. Aug 16, 2019
    Horrible waste of time. Netflix losing its touch i guess. They really need to choose better sci fi serials. Emotional dramas with scientific words wont get them anywhere.
  14. Jul 25, 2019
    cant stomach it, watched 30min of it and had to stop, like watching some SJW nightmare come to life, Netflix keeps regurgitating more Virtue signaling trash, that's why there bleeding subscriptions.
  15. Jul 28, 2019
    Wokeflix does it again! It's one thing to pander to progressives and the left, but it's completely something else to shove the LGBT!Q@ onto everyone else. 75% of the cast is either gay or trans or some version in between, and I guess this wouldn't be so bad, but the fact that you have the repeated makeout sessions between them. I'm sorry. I would rather suck on razor blades.Wokeflix does it again! It's one thing to pander to progressives and the left, but it's completely something else to shove the LGBT!Q@ onto everyone else. 75% of the cast is either gay or trans or some version in between, and I guess this wouldn't be so bad, but the fact that you have the repeated makeout sessions between them. I'm sorry. I would rather suck on razor blades. Episode 8 finished me! Especially 17min and 30 seconds into it. That's when I said, No More! Expand
  16. Jul 26, 2019
    2 stars for Katie and the dude playing her husband. JFC what is this, Big Brother in space? Why is everyone dressed like they work at Hot Topic? Too brutally moronic for me. Shame because the production values aren't half bad. And why is there a fat guy on board? Lastly, William sux ass. I don't care how futury your ship is, strap in for complicated maneuvers.
  17. Jul 29, 2019
    The premise sounds reasonable:
    An alien ship lands on earth and builds a crystalline, impenetrable structure around it.
    The military and scientists try to analyze it and establish contact with the aliens. A spaceship is sent to a distant star where the aliens are assumed to be from. But then, oh boy, the trouble starts. Katee Sackoff is passable as the ship's commander Nico and I
    The premise sounds reasonable:
    A spaceship is sent to a distant star where the aliens are assumed to be from.

But then, oh boy, the trouble starts.
    Katee Sackoff is passable as the ship's commander Nico and I liked Samuel Anderson as the ship's AI (William) a lot.
    Among a purely american crew, the AI picks as a visualization of itself a...British black man with a beard. Priceless! But I'm glad it's Samuel Anderson.

The rest of the crew is basically a pain in the *ss.
    They're an annoying bunch of whiny, bickering twenty-somethings that would pass as undergraduates at best.
    Especially Michelle, the 'computer whiz' is yelling all the time. If I had been there, I would have tased her and put her back to cryo-sleep.

According to Michelle, they got rid of mandatory uniforms a decade ago. That's so cool and in episode one, we get to see all female cast members in sports bras. Great! And so woke!
    The 'medical officer' appears to be transgender and that person is the only crew member that looks stable, competent and trustworthy. At least one!

The space trip is basically a wrap-up of all scify themes and tropes you know from many scify shows and movies.
    Since the writers preferred action and scares over suspense and character development, the show throws one scify theme after another at us.
    Sometimes you would have two or three of those themes in one episode together.
    It's non-stop action, one emergency after another. Some of them due to stupid behavior of one of the crew members, like opening the helmet on a foreign planet, well...there is enough oxygen to do it!
    And it's all completely random and arbitrary, a fire, AI failure, cryo sleep problems...it goes on and on.
    They need food and...find an earth-like moon that's not too far away...Come ON!

And of course, those hormones. Smooching and sex is apparently unavoidable. Ah, those sports bras!
    Based on all the above there should be no doubt in your mind that the science is all nonsense.

Another problem:
    The space trip goes on for seven to twelve months, due to detours they make.
    So on earth, they're analyzing the strucure for almost a year? Those two time lines don't match convincingly.
    But that's just a minor issue of the show because on the whole it's all a big old nonsensical mess.

Even in the season's finale, where you learn more about the aliens, you'll be all question marks about what
    happens.
    It's somewhat cryptic but it's to avoid spoilers:
    When you see the last couple of scenes you won't really understand why it's necessary what the aliens do and especially, you won't understand what they don't do.

But despite all that, I can understand why some people like the show. It's entertaining in a way and the production value is ok. It doesn't look cheap.
    So, if you have nothing to do, give it about three episodes, that will give you a good impression what you're dealing with.
    On the other hand, looking at the (user-) ratings, I wonder if it's worth it, because the question is: Do you really think we'll get a second season?
  18. Aug 1, 2019
    Katee, why did you agree to do this show? Are you hard up for cash? I love you and frankly you were pretty good in it, but the entire 95% of the rest of the series.. my god. Awful. The premise makes no sense - why are all the crew members 20 years old? My freshmen writing class students could do better than this script from spaaaaaaaaaace.
  19. Aug 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG, who written the scripts for this abomination. It is so unbelievable that a group of this characters would be even remotely close to a star ship mission. When NASA is sending astronauts to missions they go thru so many checks (physical and psychological). This band of misfits get into conflict in first episode, captain with power issues tries to murder whole team ! WHAT THE HELL.
    So unbelievable it hurts to watch. Everybody acts like they have issues. awful truly awful, and there was nice potential in the story... did not manage to go beyond half of episode 2.
  20. Aug 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the writers of the show know how to tell a tense story, there is little substance or believability to many of the events, there is almost no character development.

Most of all, this supposed most important mission of mankind is undertaken by a group of highschoolers with the same attitude and drama and no real character competences. There's many points in the story where an obvious and simple action would avert disaster but none is taken.

And then there's the AI love story, which is so clumsily written it's more satire than anything interesting.
  21. Jul 29, 2019
    A crew is selected to travel to deep space on a mission that may save humanity. Unfortunately, the members of the crew conduct themselves with all the professionalism of a high school social committee, which is perhaps unfair to high schoolers; Maybe they have more on the ball. Starting with an interesting premise the show, instead of answering the big questions, spends its time on sideA crew is selected to travel to deep space on a mission that may save humanity. Unfortunately, the members of the crew conduct themselves with all the professionalism of a high school social committee, which is perhaps unfair to high schoolers; Maybe they have more on the ball. Starting with an interesting premise the show, instead of answering the big questions, spends its time on side trips and soapy subplots. In space we all learn that revealing attire, and the regular application of makeup are the important shipboard activities. Dumb. Expand
  22. Jul 31, 2019
    Okay I like all these space shows like lost in space that was good one. As soon as this new show popped up in my feed I watched it. But the beginning feels so slow to me. It’s so unnecessary and the only reason they have somatic sleep is so they can keep getting new characters without question. It’s hardly entertaining and the writing is garbage. Every episode just feels like a repeat ofOkay I like all these space shows like lost in space that was good one. As soon as this new show popped up in my feed I watched it. But the beginning feels so slow to me. It’s so unnecessary and the only reason they have somatic sleep is so they can keep getting new characters without question. It’s hardly entertaining and the writing is garbage. Every episode just feels like a repeat of the same thing. Maybe if this show had better writing it would be good. If it has a second season they definitely need to rethink the character development Expand
  23. Aug 3, 2019
    Katee Sackhoff is the biggest redeeming factor of this show. Still, there are others and if the next season will explore less themes in a deeper way, the series might eek out a sufficient story to be binge worthy.
  24. Aug 8, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is hard to believe that this team was selected for such an important mission. It gets laughable. I managed to go just beyond the half of the series. It was a waste for the lead actress. A passionate AI? What is striking about this series is that everyone's hole belongs to everyone. A toast to diversity Expand
  25. Aug 9, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Netflix recommends this to me as a 99% match. So why do I hate it?

Katee Sackhoff is, in my opinion, a talented actress. I enjoyed her performance as Starbuck in BSG, and I think she does her job well in other things. Even here, she was okay. However, no person can produce a good performance from terribly written material like this. She did her best with the crap she was told to read, and the end result is a good actress reading crap.

I'm a pretty progressive-leaning person; I believe in equality and inclusion and all that good stuff. This, however, was just pandering and terrible.

Starbuck's husband is a joke. I don't remember the guy's real or character name, and I don't care. As soon as he came on-screen, I knew he was the "lesser" of the two in their fictional marriage, for no apparent reason other than to make Starbuck seem better by comparison. It's almost as if strong females like Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Captain Janeway, Leia Organa-Solo, or Mara Jade don't exist as examples of how the strong female can be portrayed well. Oh, and they've got a daughter. She whines. A lot.

Unfortunately, there's a crew on the starship. They suck, too, and I think the crew are what ultimately killed my appreciation for this garbage.

Early on, a guy comments that no one aboard is wearing uniforms. This is a writer explaining the lack of a costume budget for the production, but... really? The result is a crew lounging around in what look like today's casual attire. They look like they're sitting in a coffee shoppe, not going to save the planet or do anything important.

The crew report to a General, so they must be part of some hierarchical organization, but there is no unity, respect, or discipline in their "team". One crew member has a tablet glued to her hand in every shot and is openly disrespectful of Starbuck. The former captain, now Starbuck's second-in-command, can't keep his mouth shut to let his CO finish her briefing.

The rest are no better. There's a trans person whose job it is to sit in back and be trans. What's their name? What's their function aboard ship? They didn't say, and all I know is that they are trans. There's an overweight guy, too, because the best choice for spaceflight is a guy who isn't exercising and as a result costs more fuel to lift into orbit.

Why are these people on the ship? It breaks my brain to think that these were the best people to send on a first-contact mission, yet they are so unprofessional that they drive the plot through their idiocy. This lack of professionalism results in a physical confrontation between Starbuck and the rest of the crew, all over what is presented as the first real disagreement between captain and crew. So next time you're at work and you don't agree with your supervisor, just stab them in the neck with a syringe as was shown here. You'll be fine, probably promoted.

This is pandering, pseudo-inclusion and anti-logic that serves only to put check marks in a box. There are no other character traits on display beyond the initial introduction of trans or “guy who can't listen to a female leader” or “whiny kid”. I turned this off at about 38 minutes, when mutiny erupts in the first episode. If these people are our best, our planet doesn't deserve to be saved.
  26. Aug 6, 2019
    This review contains some SPOILERS.

This review contains some SPOILERS.

A good cast and a decent premise is wasted on this show because of it's terrible plot lines and some truly awful writing.. I mean an alien non-carbon based virus that attacks the nerve cells of humans and extremely rapidly grows into a snake like thing that bursts out of the spine of the infected (who in spite of this was feeling just fine only 30 seconds before)! I mean in Alien I could overlook the lack of pain both to John Hurt's character and the potential mental pain to me for watching it because it was a fresh idea and (as it turned out) the creature was probably bioengineered as a weapon. But here it just becomes unintentionally hilarious. What was the virus living on before the crew conveniently let themselves be infected by it, considering it was a pretty dead world in the first place?

Don't misunderstand - not ALL the writing is that bad but its not great either, All in all, fire some writers and whoever was supposed to keep them in check and things might be OK if - and at this point it seems VERY unlikely - it ever comes to a second season.
  27. Aug 22, 2019
    I wanted to like this, but nothing about it makes any sense. The crew is intolerable. Bad directing, bad writing. I can’t believe some of the actors were able to do as well with the material as they did. It is a collage of other sci-fi shows and movies with no idea how to put the pieces together.
  28. Sep 16, 2019
    Wow. Just wow. Vacuous nonsense. I feel dumber after watching this. 2 stars for production work and some visuals. Though whomever worked on it deserves better than some contrived set of shallow characters literally trying to tell each other why they are there. And don't misjudge a bunch of weak male caricatures as "strength" in the female characters. You can do better.
  29. Aug 26, 2019
    It's like some progressive agenda for gender and orientation using Sci-Fi as a vehicle. If it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't take my eyes off the gorgeous women in the cast and that the A.I. character played by Samuel Anderson and earthbound scientist Justin Chatwin are genuinely interesting and sympathetic characters I would have stopped watching. Despite that all the actors do aIt's like some progressive agenda for gender and orientation using Sci-Fi as a vehicle. If it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't take my eyes off the gorgeous women in the cast and that the A.I. character played by Samuel Anderson and earthbound scientist Justin Chatwin are genuinely interesting and sympathetic characters I would have stopped watching. Despite that all the actors do a great job for what they've been given. Expand
  30. Aug 23, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm looking at it now, if we exclude: the plot taken for granted like the diaper of a one-month-old baby, a sneering written with the help of a hamster kidnapped in a middle school and forced to work by the piece ... for 2 soybeans per month, the fact that everyone but everyone (even the scientific officers ...) touch, finger, eat up, if they also make "join" with various living alien and dangerous nature (the life of the title), but it's not over here because they are all but really all of the insane that I would not send even to take the briosh in the fridge since they never learn anything from their own and other people's mistakes and continue to do the exact same spit crap at every episode, technologggy that seems of this century but in reality travel at superlight speed (CUUUOOOLLL !!!! 1 !!), ... in short, if we exclude all this (and more ...) it is a beautiful series of spaccces adventures..(irony take me away...with you) Expand
  31. Oct 14, 2019
    Nothing more to say then this just bad, really bad. Don't even waist your time watching the trailer, it's that bad.
  32. Jan 22, 2021
    What starts out as an interesting storyline, slowly doing a great into a woke season of big brother episodes in outer space. Everyone suddenly starts the sexual revolution in space. Suddenly, we've got multi-partner sexual experiences along with gay and lesbian escapades amongst a group of scientists that are supposed to be looking for life outside of Earth. Such a shame.
  33. Jan 15, 2020
    I'm actually in complete agreement with the critics on this show. First the good. The premise was/is great, and I liked the pace as far as introduction of some surprising elements most episodes. But the overall story just falls apart in too many places, and while I'm very LGBTQ and feminist friendly, it just doesn't work to have it shoved down your throat at so many turns. However, theI'm actually in complete agreement with the critics on this show. First the good. The premise was/is great, and I liked the pace as far as introduction of some surprising elements most episodes. But the overall story just falls apart in too many places, and while I'm very LGBTQ and feminist friendly, it just doesn't work to have it shoved down your throat at so many turns. However, the largest problem is the acting, or rather at many times over-acting. I really don't care about any of these characters because they're so shallow. True irony that the only character with relatable and genuine depth is William, and he's a hologram. The lead actress is built up to be the heroine and savior so much, you're nauseated when she achieves yet another victory. I began to fast-forward through 50% or so of each episode (usually through Nico's rants, raves, and introspections) just because I wanted to at least see where the story goes, but unless they make a significant character swap, especially for the leads (Nico AND her talentless husband), I probably won't sign-on for Season 2. Expand
  34. Dec 1, 2019
    It was good at first. Then I had to sit through two guys making out. I think one was a transvestite cause I previously thought it was a girl until that gay-reveal-episode where the lighting showed a five-o'clock shadow on the dude. Netflix always seem to shoe-horn in a couple of guy kissing on their shows and they do it toward the end of season. And, it is completely unnecessary otherIt was good at first. Then I had to sit through two guys making out. I think one was a transvestite cause I previously thought it was a girl until that gay-reveal-episode where the lighting showed a five-o'clock shadow on the dude. Netflix always seem to shoe-horn in a couple of guy kissing on their shows and they do it toward the end of season. And, it is completely unnecessary other than to promote identity politics, etc... They also have a third gay dude who comes out by mentioning his husband back on earth. This gay-reveal is also completely irrelevant to the story...adds nothing to the story.......just irrelevant. Expand
  35. Dec 21, 2019
    This is horrible, actually it is a shame that the 2 or 3 talented people in it got dragged down by this mess. Feels like it was made by a bunch of morons with way too much enthusiasm and way too little talent. This really is stupidity unleashed to its fullest potential.

I give it a 2 because the female lead is talented and lighting directors and the people who did the CGI have some skill.

Generally unfavorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

This is an earnest but hard-edged drama about extraterrestrial first contact and deep space exploration that Frankensteins together bits of classics and near-classics. But the the whole never congeals into an original statement. And the storytelling is so ungraceful that I got whiplash from the first four episodes.
  2. Reviewed by: Alex McLevy
    Jul 25, 2019
    Nitpicking sci-fi conceits is usually a waste of time (who cares how implausible a lovestruck robot fixing a ship’s FTL drive is?), but there are enough glaring omissions of logic in Another Life that it’s impossible not to get pulled out of the story at times. ... What the series does have is Sackhoff, and she’s more than up to the task of reminding the viewer why she’s anchoring this series. Whenever she’s onscreen, the show’s sophomoric writing instantly becomes more plausible
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Jul 25, 2019
    “Another Life” has a complete lack of character development within Niko’s crew because they're too busy worrying and yelling. ... Blair and Sackhoff are always welcome presences on any show, and it’s telling how much the four episodes of “Another Life” that I could stomach simply annoyed me.