• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 19, 2020
4.5

1. Jan 21, 2020
    Stopped 25 min in. Not a funny moment. Rather, the definition of "cringe": Bad jokes, clichéd characters.
    A good lesson for would-be writers:
    Satire cuts both ways: You better be sharp or the joke is on you.
  2. Jan 19, 2020
    Nah. Trying to be the Orville or maybe loosely Red Dwarf, but its all over the place. I like Billie, but only because she's hot. So much not really going on here.
  3. Jan 22, 2020
    I gave it a shot solely because of Hugh Laurie, he didn’t carry me to the end, i just don’t get what the creators are trying here, its got some of the hallmarks of great British comedies but they have been bastardised as if they are aiming for an American audience, there is a Douglas Adams vibe in the setting, a big fake cruise so confident in its automation that all the crew areI gave it a shot solely because of Hugh Laurie, he didn’t carry me to the end, i just don’t get what the creators are trying here, its got some of the hallmarks of great British comedies but they have been bastardised as if they are aiming for an American audience, there is a Douglas Adams vibe in the setting, a big fake cruise so confident in its automation that all the crew are essentially just actors incapable of facing catastrophe, but the scope is too big, British comedy doesn't work with large ensembles, there is no identifiable straight man to tether the crazy too and the characters are too pigeon holed into roles, someone desperately needed to be on set to tell all the actors “never go full retard”

Compare these characters to say Dave Lister, yes he is a slob and yes he is stupid and yes he’s thrown into wacky catastrophe in episode 1 but his reactions to this are believable and relatable and thats where the humour came from, Dave was never full retard slob, he was that roommate you had at Uni slob.

Or to Hugh’s own prince/lieutenant George the mans a caricature of British upper class which made his isolated madness and general ignorance of reality a cross that the normal man personified as blackadder must bear. Even george wasn't full retard ignorant snob

The engineer seems like shes set up to be the straight man, but making her responsible for a death in the first half robs her of that and she cant be everywhere at once to balance out the infuriating interactions between stock unfaithful couple with stock nihilist PR guy or stock busybody with stock rich moron.
  4. Jan 22, 2020
    Avenue 5 looks really promising. I love the basic premise of the show and I have no doubt Armando Ianucci will fully exploit the show’s comical potential in future episodes. I’m on board!
  5. Jan 21, 2020
    This is the next best thing to a new Douglas Adams show. A slow burn, but right on the money. Well worth your 30 minutes.
  6. Jan 21, 2020
    Good production values & reasonable performances in service of dumb jokes and cruel snark passing for wit. Just not my taste.
  7. Jan 21, 2020
    Seems witty and interesting and really want to see where its going so far seems entertaining. I don't see how this is trying to be Orville or how this is "all over the place" especially considering it was only a 30 minute pilot episode but hope to see more

1. Reviewed by: Lucy Mangan
    Jan 23, 2020
    Avenue 5 is taking its time to find a theme and story to coalesce round them. By the end of the four episodes available for review, the plot had been back and forth along a few grooves that were already beginning to feel well-worn. The rest remained a disparate collection of delights and longueurs, despite the formidable talent before and behind the cameras.
  2. Reviewed by: Joel Keller
    Jan 22, 2020
    The satire of Avenue 5 isn’t quite as sharp as some of Iannucci's other shows were right out of the gate, but there’s more than enough good stuff there to keep us curious as to where he’s going to take this story.
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Jan 21, 2020
    If the fact that this character literally is named Karen strikes you as either too clever or else somewhat dumb, then this is not the show for you. “Avenue 5” is distinguished by a high-low sensibility in which poop jokes are about waste and entropy and fatal pollution but also, foremost, about tons of poop, the sight of which lightens the mood.