• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 25, 2018
Season #: 2, 1
9.2

1. Apr 29, 2019
    I liked season 1 a lot but need Barry to go full Drama now, Come on Bill Harder.
  2. May 1, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is easily one of the 2 or 3 best shows on TV. The episode in which Barry is tasked to "take care" of the FBI guy's ex-wife's boyfriend is genius. When he walks into the guy's room, seeing 50 Tai-Kwan-Do trophies, and 100 metals, it's like something out of Raising Arizona. And the daughter? Genius. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2019
    This season is better than the previous one, dialogues and more fresh plots, bringing more action to Barry
  4. Apr 12, 2019
    the idea that barry has to choose between two paths, makes the show very entertaining, the first season seemed a bit boring but this has changed a lot
  5. Apr 2, 2019
    Episode is: What a disappointment!. The clever and nuanced writing seems to have deserted the show. Instead, we are served some slapstick comedy that Big Bang Theory would cringe at (blond wig joke on sad baddie who just needs a friend), cartoonish handling of the Fuques storyline, ham-fisted veteran background story to prove a stupid point and other lazy jokes that ruin of the goodwillEpisode is: What a disappointment!. The clever and nuanced writing seems to have deserted the show. Instead, we are served some slapstick comedy that Big Bang Theory would cringe at (blond wig joke on sad baddie who just needs a friend), cartoonish handling of the Fuques storyline, ham-fisted veteran background story to prove a stupid point and other lazy jokes that ruin of the goodwill gained in season 1. Damn it, Hader: You even waste the Fonz! Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2019
    The first episode of the first season is what hooked me with it's ultraviolence as happenstance at the hands of an elite killer. This seasons first episode was a snoozefest. Methinks they've forgotten what made them different, and what made their show such a standout.
  7. Apr 17, 2019
    I like Barry, but in all honesty, I'd rather see a show about NoHo Hank. He's the most interesting character on the show. I really don't care about Barry's acting career, and his girlfriend is a shallow ass, as is their instructor. I get it, they're supposed to be, but Barry is a killer and I have more sympathy for him than I do people who have never killed anyone. This is what has alwaysI like Barry, but in all honesty, I'd rather see a show about NoHo Hank. He's the most interesting character on the show. I really don't care about Barry's acting career, and his girlfriend is a shallow ass, as is their instructor. I get it, they're supposed to be, but Barry is a killer and I have more sympathy for him than I do people who have never killed anyone. This is what has always bugged me about the show, I guess. It reminds me of Dexter, but Barry kills for profit and because he's really good at it. When he asks NoHo if he's evil, he's told yes, but is he? Or is he like a hammer to a nail. You can sympathize with the nail, but the hammer isn't doing it for pleasure. Expand
  8. Apr 12, 2019
    The characters begin to vary their roles, it becomes more interesting with each chapter but without leaving the charisma of the show
  9. Apr 12, 2019
    I loved it, Bill has done a good job in his character, in general is very good this season
  10. Apr 12, 2019
    Very good to be a series of comedy, I hope and the upcoming outcomes do not end in a boring way
  11. Apr 29, 2019
    S02-E05 "Ronny / Lily

What a desappointment !!! I did not expect an episode of such mediocrity. If from the first episode of season 2, I noticed a clear qualitative change compared to season 1, both in terms of screenplay and staging, I never imagined that the series could fall so quickly in the big anything. This fifth episode is pathetic, sadly annoying, and moreover not even
    S02-E05 "Ronny / Lily

This fifth episode is pathetic, sadly annoying, and moreover not even funny. If the absurd and off-the-wall aspects of some of the situations that Barry encounters during his adventure are the ingredients for success in this series, we must be careful to maintain a minimum of credibility both in terms of the script and the staging. which is far from being the case so far this season 2, and especially with this fifth episode which is the height of ridicule.

This episode marks a major turning point in the series towards mediocrity, in any case, it does not bode well for the future of this series. Personally, having enjoyed the first season of Barry, I was looking forward to this season 2 which turns out to be a huge disappointment. If the first 4 episodes, despite the defects mentioned above, still gave me want to watch the following, with the episode 5 it is not the case, he disgusted me with this series. This episode is a perfect example of how to go about destroying a series in 30 minutes chrono.

And to say that a third season is already planned for next year ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

S02-E05 "Ronny/Lily

Quelle déception !!! Je ne m'attendais pas à un épisode d'un telle médiocrité. Si dès le premier épisode de la saison 2, j'avais remarqué un net changement qualitatif par rapport à la saison 1, tant au niveau scénaristique que celui de la mise en scène, jamais je n'aurai imaginé que la série puisse tomber aussi rapidement dans le grand n'importe quoi.

Ce cinquième épisode est pathétique, d'une nullité affligeante, et de surcroît même pas drôle. Si les aspects absurdes et décalés de certaines situations que rencontrent Barry au fil de son aventure constituent les ingrédients à succès de cette série, il faut toutefois veiller à garder un minimum de crédibilité tant sur le plan scénaristique que celui de la mise en scène, ce qui est loin d'être le cas jusqu'à présent avec cette saison 2, et particulièrement avec ce cinquième épisode qui est le comble du ridicule.

Cet épisode marque un tournant majeur de la série vers la médiocrité, en tout cas, il ne laisse rien présager de bon pour l'avenir de cette série. Personnellement, ayant beaucoup apprécié la première saison de Barry, j'attendais avec impatience cette saison 2 qui s'avère être finalement une énorme déception. Si les 4 premiers épisodes, malgré les défauts évoqués plus haut, me donnaient malgré tout envie de regarder les suivants, avec l'épisode 5 ce n'est pas le cas, il m'a dégouté de cette série. Cet épisode est un parfait exemple pour savoir la manière de s'y prendre pour détruire une série en 30 minutes chrono.

Et dire qu'une troisième saison est déjà prévue pour l'année prochaine...
  12. May 21, 2019
    This is a whole experience, I love the way the things happen in the show and more than that how Barry growths like a person... I'm pretty much execited about next season
  13. May 13, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Originally I gave this season a 6/10, then I changed it to a 7/10 because of episode 5... Now it's back down to a 5/10. I'm really struggling to keep watching it.

Episode 5 is one of the best episodes of anything I've seen for years. Reminds me of Kill Bill, mixed with Breaking Bad. Totally over-the-top insanity. Great action. Hilarious. Bizarre. This is what Barry should be. The episode doesn't have Gene Cousineau or Barry's blonde over-acting girlfriend or Hank. The only characters we know from the show are Fuches (Stephen Root) and Barry (Bill Hader)... I really wish the show moved on from the acting class stuff and did more of what they did in episode 5. I was blown away.

...

Here is my original review:

I enjoyed season one a lot, but season two just isn't grabbing me the same way.

Hank (the guy with alopecia) is too silly. He was amusing in the first season, but I'm sick of him now. His character has become utterly unbelievable. Why is he surprised by his country's reaction when he joins the enemy? He wouldn't have been surprised in the first season. But, now he's a caricature of his former self. In a different show, he might make sense. But, nobody else is a caricature in Barry. So, Hank sticks out. He feels like he belongs somewhere else.

The climax of the first season resulted in nothing.

Gene Cousineau was upset about the love of his life dying, then he got over it and everything went back to normal. The show has reset itself. Now, instead of Janice, Barry is being pursued by Janice's partner. Like a lot of modern television, this show isn't willing to take any chances. They have a formula that works and they're not willing to compromise it.

I want to see Barry exposed as a killer. I want to see him die, or go to jail... or be forced to kill someone that he loves.

I'm over 5 hours into the show and nothing has changed. They just keep stretching out the same formula and not taking any chances... Stupidly, I thought - when Barry killed Janice - that there would be consequences. But, it seems like this was just another fake cliffhanger.

The gang members in this show are stupid. Why does that Asian woman stab herself in the hand? Who does that? Did she go to the hospital, or does she have supernatural regenerative qualities like a vampire? It's stupid and it doesn't fit into the show.

I like Bill Hader a lot, and I love Stephen Root. Henry Winkler (Gene Cousineau / the Fonz) was great in season one, but they just keep replaying his character on a loop. In the first season, there was more to work with because of his relationship with Janice. The thing with his estranged son doesn't work for as well and I'm tired of seeing him teaching his acting class. None of the characters have much depth, except Barry... and they're not exploring him very much either. He constantly stays on the fence between psycho and repressed. They keep teasing us with him, teetering backwards and forwards.

In the fourth episode of the season, things start to get interesting with Barry. We see a little bit more of his time in the war and he's so close to going nuts, you can taste it. But that's six hours leading up to this moment... which makes it more tense and more frustrating at the same time.

If it continues to tease me with will-he-get-caught / won't-he-get-caught forever, I'm going to stop watching. On the other hand, if he goes absolutely mental it will be spectacular.

...

Unfortunately, after episode 5, the show reverts to Hank and Barry's over-acting girlfriend and Gene Cousineau. It's becoming Entourage mixed with Dexter. I wish it was more Dexter than Entourage, but it's not... I hate Barry's girlfriend. She is utterly uninteresting. A struggling actress with integrity who doesn't want to do commercial television work. She has a troubled past. Blah blah blah. It's not believably constructed. She overacts every scene. Looks like she's on amphetamines throughout the entire production. And, she's a **** She's not happy for Barry when he gets an audition. She's totally self-absorbed and pretentious. I don't know if I'm supposed to hate her, but I do. I want to fast forward all her scenes.

The only characters I like are Fuches and Barry. Everybody else is useless.

1. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Apr 3, 2019
    The unique excellence of the second season, at least in the three episodes released to critics, is how adroitly Hader and co-creator Alec Berg find ways to raise the stakes for Barry while keeping the show’s tone darkly amused.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Mar 29, 2019
    Mostly, the show deftly juggles a variety of tones, managing to be funny, quirky and intense all at once, while again showcasing Henry Winkler in his brilliant, Emmy-winning role as the acting teacher who keeps pressing Barry to tap into his dark side.
  3. Reviewed by: Inkoo Kang
    Mar 29, 2019
    In the new season, Barry’s morose self-introspection (and self-pity) becomes hard to stomach, but at least the rest of the show’s characters gain histories in satisfying new ways.