• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 19, 2015
Season #: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
8.8

1. Apr 9, 2016
    Though the quality of the individual scenes is generally quite good, what they add up to is aimless and devoid of any tension.

At the end of the first season, Saul remarks (on why he didn't take the money): "I know what stopped me. And it's never stopping me again." It seems to promise a new direction for the show, one where Jimmy is sleazier and greedier than ever--a hint that the protagonist is progressing into the dirtbag we meet in Breaking Bad. Then in Season 2, he immediately returns to walking the straight and narrow path, with a cushy job at a law firm in Santa Fe. It takes him 7 more episodes to come back to the realization he made in the Season 1 finale. Jimmy didn't spend the majority of this season developing; he spent it floundering.

Like every other television spin-off, Better Call Saul is first and foremost a cash grab. But I think I speak for everyone when I say there was a lot of confidence in Vince Gilligan to create something interesting and worth watching in its own right. Unfortunately, it's looking like that's not the case, and this show simply exists to coast on the success of its predecessor. Many of the scenes seem to have the purpose of filling a ten episode season rather than entertaining us with thrilling and funny serialized episodes.

To be fair, Gilligan is as adept as ever at showing rather than telling. He imparts to the viewer a great deal of information with zero dialogue. But this does not matter if what we're being shown is uninteresting or irrelevant.

Consider, for example, the baseball card subplot. In the grand scheme of the show, what purpose did it serve? It didn't progress the plot or help any of the relevant characters grow. It simply served to take up about one episode's worth of time. At best, it's entertaining, and at worst, filler. Call me cynical, but this is also how I feel about many of the other characters in the show. Mike's arc this season is barely connected to Jimmy at all, and Kim's is simply not that interesting. The showrunners, aware that Jimmy's depth alone could not fill ten episodes, went for breadth instead, and spread the show perilously thin.

Part of this frustration stems from the fact that the show is a prequel. The destination is already determined, and its in AMC's best interests if it takes several seasons to get there. But what's best for AMC is not necessarily best for the viewer, and in this case, it shows.
  2. Jun 13, 2016
    Lenta y parece que no avance hacia ningún lado... Esperemos que vaya en aumento la tensión y la velocidad de la serie que de momento es una sombra de breaking bad.
  3. Sep 8, 2016
    This show should be much better. I like so many things here and again the makers have created a great character study. Unfortunately this series is just too slow and boring. At the end of the second series you expect something big to happen and it just never comes
  4. Apr 8, 2017
    Better Call Saul is a tale of two seasons. I understand the overarching purpose of the series is 'character development of Saul.' And season 1 managed to parlay that into an unpredictable mashup of memorable life events and comedic moments for Saul. Even though we know how he turns out in BB, Season 1 managed to deliver unpredictable moments that were critical in Saul's transition fromBetter Call Saul is a tale of two seasons. I understand the overarching purpose of the series is 'character development of Saul.' And season 1 managed to parlay that into an unpredictable mashup of memorable life events and comedic moments for Saul. Even though we know how he turns out in BB, Season 1 managed to deliver unpredictable moments that were critical in Saul's transition from good lawyer to bad lawyer.

Season two Is WAY more melancholy, WAY more distracted with his relationships, and basically turns the chick lawyer into the main character. Odenkirk for best supporting actor....

Billy Bob Thorton's Goliath became what BCS should have become.

Universal acclaim - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Joshua Alston
    Feb 16, 2016
    Gilligan and Gould have been wise to set the show far apart from its ancestor, such that it becomes a draw for its clever writing, inventive direction, and nuanced performances rather than its proximity to another story set in the same universe.
  2. Reviewed by: Spencer Kornhaber
    Feb 16, 2016
    Better Call Saul season two is not yet as gripping as season one’s best episodes were. But there’s plenty of reasons to bet it soon could be.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen Gray
    Feb 16, 2016
    The first two episodes of Season 2 should feel then like an elaborate tease, as we see Jimmy slipping into his old rhythms even while reaching for what looks like a brighter future, one that may include Kim Wexler (Rhea Seehorn). That they don't is due to the show's respect for the present, the place that Jimmy lives right now, and where he still has hope and where anything might yet happen.