• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 22, 2014
Season #: 6.5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
8.9

1. Aug 18, 2015
    The second season, much like the first, offers up a unique blend of absurdist comedy and self-pitying drama with funny and poignant moments sprinkled along the way. Most of its focus is drawn to what is essentially what is the counterpoint of the HBO show Entourage. While Entourage was all Hollywood glitz and glamour Bojack is all Hollywood moroseness and hollowness. Much like Entourage,The second season, much like the first, offers up a unique blend of absurdist comedy and self-pitying drama with funny and poignant moments sprinkled along the way. Most of its focus is drawn to what is essentially what is the counterpoint of the HBO show Entourage. While Entourage was all Hollywood glitz and glamour Bojack is all Hollywood moroseness and hollowness. Much like Entourage, Bojack is in truth an occasionally funny soap opera.

I haven't found any of the character development to be terribly interesting or new, this is all ground that's been covered before and I've never cared much for to begin with (not being in Hollywood and already having developed my own cynicism around the culture it creates). And Bojack's narration of his own failings becomes more tedium than pathos, nearing but ultimately failing to register with anything that feels real. Again, not being in Hollywood I find it hard to sympathize with a character's search for happiness and meaning when (spoiler alert) they find out egotism, gluttony, drugs, and fame don't hold the answers (who'dve thunk?).

Still, there are enough chuckle moments, fun side stories involving Todd or Mr. Peanut Butter (far and away my two favorite characters), animal jokes, great music (theme song and its variations are some of the best music to come out of any television recently), and interesting turns to keep me compelled and entertained through the episodes. I won't be sitting on the edge of my seat for Season 3, but when it comes around I'll shrug my shoulders, say what the hey, and check on everyone's favorite hopelessly lost can't seem to do anything right horse. Don't act like you don't know.
  2. Aug 9, 2015
    What started as a solid show ends on a low note that leaves me about in the same place I was with season 1. It was good, enjoyable, but not great. The creators seemed to choose something truly entertaining with likeable characters over the Hollywood cliche. I get that its a show about the Hollywood cliche, but I never found that premise to be that appealing.
  3. Aug 8, 2015
    Did a rare thing by making a second season that improved upon the first! The voice acting is incredible. The animation is, like South Park before it, cheap and cheerful and utterly charming, and fits the content perfectly. The dry, sarcastic wit, almost belies its American roots, appealing strongly to this British audience.

Absolutely essential viewing.
  4. Jul 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BoJack Horse man is incredible, season 2 is just absolutely fantastic. It takes all the wrongs of the first season and fixes every problem. Also, unlike many adult animated tv series, the characters actually develop and change, you feel as if they have, and are consistently changing throughout the seasons, also silly little events that happen are always always brought up again, the show has a great consistency with events. Hell, from what happened in season 2 I have no idea where the story is heading, but something tells me all is not going to be very well with BoJack Horseman, and something truly depressing is going to happen. Expand
  5. Aug 2, 2015
    Season 2 builds beautifully on season 1, and Bojack Horseman now boasts some of the most fascinating, rich and complex characters on TV. It's detailed, funny, smart and full of sublime pathos, which is made all the more interesting by the fact that half the cast have animal heads. Truly the best show of the past two years. Long may it continue.
  6. Jul 26, 2015
    This animated comedy-drama takes place in a world full of anthropomorphic animals where washed up 90's sitcom star of Tv's Horsin' Around, Bojack Horseman, goes day to day basking in what was. Its the perfect hybrid of drama and comedy where there is no reset button and the character's build on their actions. I would have never thought that a show about a talking horse could ever be so human
  7. Jul 30, 2015
    A série é muito envolvente, tem uma historia que te prende, que te faz ver o proximo epi. para descobrir oque aconteceu com tal personagem, e claro, muito comedia.
  8. Jan 10, 2016
    Bloody awesome, better than season 1 which is quite the opposite of shows carrying story-lines from subsequent seasons. BoJack is still a jackass know-it-all spewing a lot of "intelligent ignorant" BS. This is an awesome show, hope it stays around for a while!
  9. Jan 12, 2016
    Bojack Horseman is one of the best animated shows ever created. The characters are relatable and there are fantastic moments of comedy and drama. You see your own faults in all of the characters.
  10. Jul 19, 2015
    This new season makes some disturbing questions about goals in life, relationships, routine and personal growth envolved in comedy & acid jokes. Bojack tries to be a better version of himself, but along the journey, he learns how getting his dream role in his dream movie is just not enough to be happy, and that even your dreams can go wrong very quickly in the real life. Go & watch it, getThis new season makes some disturbing questions about goals in life, relationships, routine and personal growth envolved in comedy & acid jokes. Bojack tries to be a better version of himself, but along the journey, he learns how getting his dream role in his dream movie is just not enough to be happy, and that even your dreams can go wrong very quickly in the real life. Go & watch it, get the first season if you are new and enjoy the absurd world where Bojack & friends live. Expand
  11. Jul 18, 2015
    Bojack continues to be a show with surprising depth. Bleak and uncompromising, the second season is a worthy successor to the criminally underrated first season.
  12. Jul 17, 2015
    The show is finally getting the acclaim it's deserved from the beginning. It's about time! Everyone who watched the entire first season understood the show's specialness. Hopefully it blows up, and goes on for several seasons. Truly a unique and wonderful show!!!!!
  13. Jul 18, 2015
    The 2nd season of Bojack horseman is dark and insightful. For an animated series it really showcases the disparaging depths of depression and celebrity.
  14. Jul 23, 2015
    Haha, I just left a review of season 1 saying season two is better. The character is awesome because he can act like an idiot at times but then says some keen, insightful things. The jokes are funny too, but you have to be paying attention to catch them since their aren't any punchlines for them. The jokes just arise from normal conversations which takes some clever writing.
  15. Jul 17, 2015
    The show builds on the success of the previous season and proves to be one of the best animated shows of its kind. I'm glad that the show is beginning to receive the critical acclaim that it deserves.
  16. Jul 23, 2015
    Bojack Horseman Season 2 delivers the perfect tone of clever comedy and heartbreaking drama. The season takes place after the protagonist was exposed as having a troubled soul and builds on it.
  17. Jul 17, 2015
    BoJack Horseman is finally getting the acclaim it deserves from critics. I've watched 2 episodes of season 2 so far and I'm already loving it. If you haven't watched BoJack Horseman yet, just do it. It's one of the funniest animated shows at the moment
  18. Jul 25, 2015
    This season finally reaches the full potential promised in the first one. Now it tackles more subjects than middle (and quarter) age crisis and celebrity culture and leaves the trite romantic triangle subplot behind, which makes it more sharp and fresh. Sometimes it relies on pop culture references that will probably be outdated in 10 years, but its offbeat sense of humor hits like aThis season finally reaches the full potential promised in the first one. Now it tackles more subjects than middle (and quarter) age crisis and celebrity culture and leaves the trite romantic triangle subplot behind, which makes it more sharp and fresh. Sometimes it relies on pop culture references that will probably be outdated in 10 years, but its offbeat sense of humor hits like a sledgehammer, since it motivates you to think about your life and the world right after laughing out loud. Expand
  19. Jul 18, 2015
    Season 1 of Bojack had a slow start, but ended up being one of the best looks at depression and growing old with failed dreams ever done.

Season 2 builds of this by both being funny and still at times bitingly aggressive at reminding you that you can't always find happiness. This was a show the critics completely wiffed on in Season 1, and I'm glad they are coming around now.
  20. Aug 4, 2015
    More funnier and more emotional than its freshmen season, the sophomore season has made BoJack Horseman a great Netflix sitcom in the ranks of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Rating: 9/10 Pros: +This season seems to be more emotionally focused which is a great thing to make the characters especially BoJack Horseman more understandable despite their flaws. +This season’s humor is off the

Rating: 9/10

Pros:
    +This season’s humor is off the charts.
    +This season made the show finally found its footing.
    +The social commentary in the seventh episode of the show Hank After Dark is the best episode of the show so far.
    +The show’s voice cast (both the main, supporting and guest voice cast) nailed it with their roles!

Favorite Episodes (ranked from most favorite to least favorite):

Yesterdayland (E02)
    After Party (E04)
    Still Broken (E03)
  21. Jul 26, 2015
    BoJack Horseman's second season is MUCH less depressing than the first season. An animated sitcom is supposed to provide laughs and enjoyment. The first season provided laughs, but it was very sad watching this series towards the end season, and I really hated BoJack (the character) during season 1 because he was just arrogant. I know that was their intention, but you can't like BoJack,BoJack Horseman's second season is MUCH less depressing than the first season. An animated sitcom is supposed to provide laughs and enjoyment. The first season provided laughs, but it was very sad watching this series towards the end season, and I really hated BoJack (the character) during season 1 because he was just arrogant. I know that was their intention, but you can't like BoJack, and that I what you want your viewers to do, like the protagonist, but in BoJack's case, he is sometimes an antagonist.

In season 2, however, BoJack Horseman is a much better character, and the whole season was much funnier than the first season. I also enjoyed the character development in season 2 much more because every character had a story. Todd and Princess Carolyn had much more screen time, which really helped provide material for the remaining time of the episodes.

I also liked the use of side characters in season 2, such as Sebastian St. Clair, Rutabaga Rabbitowitz, the Improv Group, etc. It really added to the series and provided much more story development within each episode.

Overall, I would much rather watch Season 2, but I would recommend watching Season 1 if you would like to understand some of the references in Season 2.
  22. Aug 4, 2015
    What more could a humble Netflix user ask for than a funny, irreverent and honest comedy which perfectly appeals to the cynical disposition of the millennial generation? Nothing more than Bojack Horseman.
  23. Jul 27, 2015
    I'm a big fan of the voice actors in this series, so I really wanted to enjoy the show.
    The main character is just so unlikeable, (reminds me of Jason Alexander's cartoon in the late 90's, Duckman, another talking animal show with uninteresting characters.) After watching several episodes, I felt there wasn't any funny moments and each episodes seems to drag . . .
    It just seems to be

It just seems to be lacking something, but I'm not interested in the series enough to invest any more time to find out.
  24. Jul 21, 2015
    I was disappointed. I saw the first season for the first time yesterday, and watched the second today. The second season is a completely different show, and I don't really like that new show.

See, the first season opens with Bojack explaining that in horsin' around (his sitcom), in 30 minutes, the characters meets a problem and fixes it with no consequences in his love and his family.

It was pointing out that this series wasn't going to do that.
    Well, the second season does that.

While the first season could get really dark, and tried its best to develop its main characters, the second season is a lot less successful at doing so.

- Bojack faces very few problems that lasts more than one episode.
    - Todd is getting a lot more screen-time, but is still developed as a comic relief.
    - Bojack's girlfriend is a new character that could be developed and discover the awful society that Bojack lives, could face many interesting problems, but instead, her very first trait of character becomes just a reason to make jokes after the first episode.
    - Diane was the only character with a believable problem, but its building was rushed, and so was the resolving (although, it was still a touching moment).

Many of the characters are this way. Sure, there are some touching moments, but the main characters aren't the same (their "evolution" isn't believable) and the secondary characters got more important without getting more developed.

So what's left from the first season of Bojack that wasn't lost in the second season?
    The humor is still the same. It's more present, so if you laughed a lot at the first season, you'll probably like the second.
    But I didn't see the first season as a comedy. I didn't laugh all that much (I sometimes did, of course), but it wasn't the humor that kept me on the edge of my seat.

The animation is also still the same, but to be honest, it's clearly not the focus of the series.

Overall, is it bad ? No. I didn't like it, but I can see how one could enjoy it.
    Is it as good as the first season ? Definitely not.
  25. Aug 1, 2015
    I love the surreal blend of human with animal characters, not to mention the abundance of awesome animal nature sight gags, etc. As far as the story arc goes, it might be hard to relate to a burnt out Hollywoo actor from the 90s, except his void of compassion..love the continuity, though.
  26. Aug 8, 2015
    Building upon an already-hilarious first season and adding in bucketloads of character development, the second season of Bojack Horseman not only provides an endless stream of clever humour, but some of the most intense and heartbreaking emotion you'll ever get from a talking animated horse...
  27. Dec 9, 2017
    The second-season of Bojack Horseman adds a little more balance to the formula. The first is largely dedicated to humor that is even more gonzo, creative, and silly than that of the first season. The more poignant material is saved for the second-half. It isn't hard hitting or emotional as last season, where the show wasn't exactly concerned with being a happy one. We witnessed Bojack goThe second-season of Bojack Horseman adds a little more balance to the formula. The first is largely dedicated to humor that is even more gonzo, creative, and silly than that of the first season. The more poignant material is saved for the second-half. It isn't hard hitting or emotional as last season, where the show wasn't exactly concerned with being a happy one. We witnessed Bojack go to some dark, low places and we ended seeing him left there by the conclusion. While not a straight gut-punch to the heart, season 2 doesn't miss out on ay of the significance of it's message. Bojack's quest for happiness and self-redemption can still resonate with the average person, despite the character's Hollywood lifestyle.

Bojack Horseman also serves as a look at the hollowness and depravity of fame and success. It's at times a straight up mockery of the lifestyle seemingly everybody wants to break into these days. It's the type of thing that sets the show apart from the rest, and opens up a lot of new doors for comedic possibilities. Almost of which is excellently utilized. The jokes are more diverse this time around and the shear number of them is astounding. Season 2 is just as hilarious as you remember it. Only now sometimes for different reasons.

With such and emotion, there's really no reason to not make the return. It's something of a refinement of the formula. One that work's exceedingly well and got the show the critical respect it deserved the first time around.

9.9/10
  28. Aug 4, 2016
    Season two kept every right decision on the last episodes of the first season and kept on track, there are some times like it feels like they are making time but, unlike the first episodes of season one, they are very rare.
  29. Oct 10, 2015
    All and all,this Season was nearly perfect as they the Show outdid itself and evolved as it should have.Not only are most of the story lines are back in Season two.The Writing is fantastic and every Episode rivals anything like the Simpsons,Family Guy and South Park.Though I recognize that those Shows have obviously been on longer and are very well known,BoJack Horseman Season 2 seems moreAll and all,this Season was nearly perfect as they the Show outdid itself and evolved as it should have.Not only are most of the story lines are back in Season two.The Writing is fantastic and every Episode rivals anything like the Simpsons,Family Guy and South Park.Though I recognize that those Shows have obviously been on longer and are very well known,BoJack Horseman Season 2 seems more interesting and fun and it leaves you wanting to watch more of something fresh.

I did say nearly perfect as the Season does have A few surprises that made Me question some of the Writing decisions for certain Episodes.A few more strayed away from BoJack to another character which I felt was 'show more BoJack' as I got increasingly more bored in A small majority of scenes.

Overall,this is definitely worth watching and this Show can do nothing but improve in the future as the Acting and Writing will continue to be top notch.BoJack and his wacky adventures will continue with or without you,so don't miss out on this new future classic and present day success.
  30. Oct 2, 2018
    They have found their rhythm with this season. They swing for the fences and knock it out of the park
  31. Aug 9, 2015
    Despite never taking a liking to other animated shows, I fell in love with Bojack Horseman. The combination of superb voice acting, well written comedy and a frank look at depression, relationships and the idiocy of celebrity culture surprisingly makes this one of the most relatable TV shows around. Not one to be missed.
  32. Aug 29, 2019
    BoJack Horseman is never quite as funny as the absolute top tier of animated comedies but it has its fair share of funny moments and, thanks to its ongoing storylines, gives a surprisingly deep look at a group of people/animals living in Hollywoo(d). With two 12 episode seasons now available on Netflix BoJack comes highly recommended.
  33. Oct 10, 2018
    The second season has a notable difference for first. It was a watersherd in Bojack Horseman. Series got more dark, acid and showing us the characteristic drama that remains on show until nowadays, but you probably won't laugh as on 1st season, because humor was a little diluted here. Still worthwhile for sure.
  34. Nov 11, 2018
    This just keeps getting better and better. It gets me depressed in a beautiful way.
  35. Sep 12, 2015
    BoJack Horseman looks like it is a sustainable show after the second season. I think the first season was a little funnier but there were several episodes that I found myself laughing at a lot. I like the addition of all of the new characters. There was a lot of talent that was introduced and many of these voices will be easily recognisable. The continuity of the between season was aBoJack Horseman looks like it is a sustainable show after the second season. I think the first season was a little funnier but there were several episodes that I found myself laughing at a lot. I like the addition of all of the new characters. There was a lot of talent that was introduced and many of these voices will be easily recognisable. The continuity of the between season was a little disappointing. I found that Diane had less of a role in the series than she did last season and she was one of my favorite characters so that was a disappointment. Still BoJack's second season was still very deep, the show deals with real issues for an unreal show. It'll be a long wait for season 3. Expand
  36. Aug 30, 2015
    I thought it would take a few episodes to look past a talking horse, talking cat, and a variety of non-human characters, but I was nearly immediately consumed by the excellent writing of this show. No other animated television feature comes close to the great writing of BoJack Horseman with the exception of The Simpsons. 10/10 with no asterisks!!!!
  37. Apr 13, 2020
  38. Aug 21, 2015
    One of the best new shows on television. Comedy-drama. It takes a few episodes for the characters to gel, but the season finishes strong. Don't give up before it gets good!
  39. Sep 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With certain shows, you have what I like to call a "sacrifice bunt" season. Instead of developing the plot in a major way, setting the stage for the climax or message of the series, showrunners will develop a lot of the characters in various directions, which will provide the depth necessary for an extended run. However, the show runs the risk of losing focus. While BoJack Horseman maintained its mix of quips, satire, tension and existentialism from the previous season, it was too hard to find any of them. Between the Chickens episode, the one where they had to break into the Nixon library to shoot a scene for the Secretariat movie, an excess of new characters at the Vigor talent agency, and the many shows and relationships happening all at once, I couldn't follow it. I'm not sure what meaning was to be gleaned from J.D. Salinger's surprising reappearance and subsequent production of the show with the really long title. There was enough randomness to distract me from what made the show great. However, I don't think that the show, which could end as one of the most dramatic animated shows of all time, could have gone in any other direction. It would've been difficult to do another season as emotional as Season 1, then pivot to a Season 3 where the characters aren't as developed as they could be. Diane ran around in circles, BoJack made a genuine effort to improve his life, Todd found what he really needed, and even Princess Carolyn discovered self-respect.

The trouble with this show is that it sets itself apart from every other animated show, in a medium that is still spreading its wings, but hasn't gained the kind of exposure it deserves and might be developing too rapidly for an audience that doesn't agree on it. Just as with Season 2, there are bound to be too many expectations of this show. Bob-Waksberg doesn't care, of course, but any focused audience member would be curious to see what turn BoJack Horseman takes next, as it could be anything. The multi-directional push that was Season 2 will ultimately serve as a blessing for a show with unlimited potential. Until then, we'll all wait patiently for more of the impact that made Season 1 so intriguing, praying the show, much like its titular horse, doesn't collapse under the weight of its own expectations.
  40. Oct 8, 2015
    Absolutely perfect. Well handled pacing, impressive voice acting, and absolutely revolutionary tone. Season 2 takes what seemed like a head scratching concept and shaky first season and creates what could quite possibly be the best season of any television show this year, comedy or drama(especially because it excels at both). Truly the unsung hero of the Netflix original shows, especiallyAbsolutely perfect. Well handled pacing, impressive voice acting, and absolutely revolutionary tone. Season 2 takes what seemed like a head scratching concept and shaky first season and creates what could quite possibly be the best season of any television show this year, comedy or drama(especially because it excels at both). Truly the unsung hero of the Netflix original shows, especially considering House of Cards' disappointing turn this season. Expand
  41. Oct 27, 2015
    Each season throws its first half away on making its characters act like cartoonier versions of the cartoons they already are, vying desperately to make you laugh with the grace of Jimmy, the annoying 3rd grade class clown that you avoid at the grocery store because it’s just… so… uncomfortable. Can’t he tell this forced laugh is killing you both? The second season is even guiltier of thisEach season throws its first half away on making its characters act like cartoonier versions of the cartoons they already are, vying desperately to make you laugh with the grace of Jimmy, the annoying 3rd grade class clown that you avoid at the grocery store because it’s just… so… uncomfortable. Can’t he tell this forced laugh is killing you both? The second season is even guiltier of this than the first, though unexpectedly they wring more humor from the forced buffoonery than last time whilst amping said buffoonery. At least they appear more self-aware? Maybe Netflix puts all the interns on Bojack? Maybe the show’s writing is supposed to meta-textually convey the hubris and tragedy of its protagonist? Whatever. Buy some Camels and go watch it in bed. Just like last time they decide to turn it into a real show past the half-way mark and just like the amped buffoonery there is compensatorily amped desperation for Bojack to indulge in. You have to hand it to this show, it manages to succeed despite neglecting most of its better potentials for the sake of a weird push/pull uniquely its own. They should still fix that, but I know I’ll keep watching even if they don’t. Expand
  42. Dec 21, 2015
    The second season surpassed the first season. More hilarious and funny, I finished watching all the episodes in one day. Waiting for the third season.
  43. JPK
    Jun 16, 2019
    Now We’re Talking!
    Since Season 2, Bojack Horseman is one of the best animated shows on TV right now.
  44. May 3, 2019
    Now that the creators established the world and it's characters, they know what they wanted to do. This season is very funny and dramatic, and they do everything about right.
  45. Sep 2, 2019
    Bojack never disappoint. I thought season 1 was really a deep dive, i'm proven wrong. Love this show. It's brave, funny, dark and it gets darker and funnier.
  46. Feb 5, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No i can Not see it
    You know , i hate this show, prison break is better. What is horseman?? !!
  47. Mar 12, 2020
    Deep social satire and very sad story about mental decline of man (umm, horseman)
  48. Aug 30, 2020
    Bojack Horseman is one of the best animated series I've seen in years. So good

Universal acclaim - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 20, 2015
    Netflix's BoJack Horseman has found its footing beautifully in season two, earning the title of not just the streaming service's best show, but of one of television's best shows.
  2. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Jul 20, 2015
    BoJack Horseman is deeply, ridiculously funny.
  3. Reviewed by: Liz Shannon Miller
    Jul 17, 2015
    So much of the BoJack DNA is tied up in BoJack's origin story as a '90s network sitcom star because the show itself is actively working against the concept that sitcoms represent the way stories should work; that there are easy answers for any of its characters. And that's what makes it feel so fundamentally true, at its core.