• Network: NETFLIX
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 19, 2021
4.2

Watch Now

1. Nov 20, 2021
    More proof that anime shouldn't be adapted to live-action. It's not needed and was clearly only made to capitalize off of a name with no love for the show at all. Had the soul ripped out of the anime and this is what we got.
  2. Nov 19, 2021
    Where to even begin with this mess, they took the greatest anime of all time and turned it into a dumb millennial cosplay. 0/10
  3. Nov 19, 2021
    I didn't think live-action anime got any worse than Ghost in the Shell or Death Note, but this tops them all for badness
  4. Nov 19, 2021
    Awful fight chorography. How can the same network that brought Daredevil to life put out fights that look this bad and low impact? Childish dialogue that drops exposition like a bomb completely devoid of nuance. The directors apparently didn't understand how the score of the anime created mood and emotion and instead just drops it in with no reason. Just all around poor. In a vacuumAwful fight chorography. How can the same network that brought Daredevil to life put out fights that look this bad and low impact? Childish dialogue that drops exposition like a bomb completely devoid of nuance. The directors apparently didn't understand how the score of the anime created mood and emotion and instead just drops it in with no reason. Just all around poor. In a vacuum I'd give it a 3, but since it's adapting something so good and messed it up so bad it's getting a 0. It's a shame, if any part of this would have been acceptable I probably would have forgiven a lot, but on the whole it feels cheap, amateur, and bland. Expand
  5. Nov 19, 2021
    1998 Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece, a unique experience that can be enjoyed by anyone, liking anime or not. No one asked for a new version 'cause it's perfect the way it is, it's just like asking for a new version of The Godfather, why the hell would you want that? But well, they did it, it's this one, and they simply massacred the memory of the anime, ruined and disrespected every single1998 Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece, a unique experience that can be enjoyed by anyone, liking anime or not. No one asked for a new version 'cause it's perfect the way it is, it's just like asking for a new version of The Godfather, why the hell would you want that? But well, they did it, it's this one, and they simply massacred the memory of the anime, ruined and disrespected every single bit. The creators clearly didn't understood nothing of the anime, they thought Cowboy Bebop was cool visuals and that's it. Funny how an animation ended up being way more realistic and relatable than the live action. Expand
  6. Nov 25, 2021
    The best I could say is that it will made you appreciate the original show far more. Basically it is lacking the hearth, charm and soul of the original. Atop of this the characters are also far weaker versions of themselves and they made some harmful changes to them. I think the team behind this show did not understood what made the show so good and well liked or were fully convinced byThe best I could say is that it will made you appreciate the original show far more. Basically it is lacking the hearth, charm and soul of the original. Atop of this the characters are also far weaker versions of themselves and they made some harmful changes to them. I think the team behind this show did not understood what made the show so good and well liked or were fully convinced by their own ideas in a way that made them ignore all (valid) criticism. The Cowboy Bebop Anime show is a masterpiece. It is nearly universally loved, has great characters with deep backstories, style, humor, fascinating worldbuilding / lore and great writing. It is the best space western out there and I would recommend this even for people that do not like or ignore Anime shows. Back to this review. Sadly there were many warning signs. The director of the Anime Shinichiro Watanabe warned us that he is unsure if Netflix can do justice to the show, the trailer did not look convincing too and they ranted about the fans which are their main target group. If you liked the original it is hard to watch. There are some changes to the story and characters that will anger you. I must say I blame not the actors as hey are limited by the script and direction or re-imagination to be honest. For example Vicious was one of the best villains of his time. He is a smart, deadly, mysterious and puts fear into all his enemies. If he appeared you did know it gets serious and intense. Here he is ruined. Alone his look made me laugh and he is not intimidating or in the realm where I can see him as menacing villain. Lets go to Julia and I say the changes they did would made a lot of fans rage quit if shown in the first episode. You have been warned spoiler free. Spike and Faye are also more shallow and this is a shame as both actors John Cho and Daniella Pineda are really good. I even think they could work but not as these characters in a Cowboy Bebop adaption. I will praise Mustafa Shakir as Jet. He is awesome. Another point is a character that was missing in the trailers. I think it counts as spoilers so I only say this is the poster-child that not everything can be adapted into a live show. The story itself has some good moments and ideas but also many WTF moments, boring parts, angering parts and is underwhelming. Visually I like the sets and that they try to recreate some shots and moments of the show. However the costumes are annoying. I often heard the remark that they look like badly done cosplay and I see the validity even if it is not garbage. The music is fine for me but did not get as awesome as in the original. Overall I would say do not watch this show and watch the original instead. Sometimes you create something that you cant reach or recreate and the original sets the bars really high. Expand
  7. Nov 27, 2021
    Terrible. True garbage. Everyone looks like they are wearing cheap Halloween costumes. Humor is bad. I think it gave me brain damage.
  8. Nov 26, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cannot for the life of me understand why they changed the characters. As if the people writing and directing this never even saw the anime, they just heard it has cowboys and guns and space in it. The actors were fine, they did a good job and the camerawork is nice, with the budget they had, but to change women into thirsty botox bimbos and the villains into hysterical whiny little b*tches ... Vicius was one of the rarest characters in creation all-bad on paper, whom you still felt really sorry for. Here he's just ... cringe. And what the F is supposed to be Gren?? What is that?? Gren was one of the saddest characters of them all. But hey, at least we got 10 seconds of Ed, right? Expand
  9. Nov 29, 2021
    Начнёшь сравнивать сериал, и получится не столько анализ различий, сколько грустная эпитафия новой версии. Любое сюжетное и стилистическое изменение в «Бибопе» 2021-го летит мимо цели. Вместо уникальной эстетики, где соединяются «твёрдый» сай-фай а-ля Филип Дик, старые вестерны, гонконгские боевики, гангстерские триллеры, полицейские бадди-муви и куча другого «палпа», — стандартнаяНачнёшь сравнивать сериал, и получится не столько анализ различий, сколько грустная эпитафия новой версии. Любое сюжетное и стилистическое изменение в «Бибопе» 2021-го летит мимо цели. Вместо уникальной эстетики, где соединяются «твёрдый» сай-фай а-ля Филип Дик, старые вестерны, гонконгские боевики, гангстерские триллеры, полицейские бадди-муви и куча другого «палпа», — стандартная нетфликсовская пластмасса, цветастая и безжизненная цифровая картинка, совершенно не подходящая миру, застрявшему в поп-культурных образах далёкого прошлого. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2021
    Oh dear Netflix - The makers of this disappointment thought they knew better than the fans, maybe next time they'll listen to the actual people who love the original anime - 3 stars
  11. Nov 25, 2021
    I think the Cowboy Bebop live-action series is trying a bit too hard to be like the original anime series. The problems that I have are the poor writing, the design change of Faye Valentine, & the way the live-action series introduced Edward. The thing that I did like was the action scenes.
  12. Nov 21, 2021
    I’m totally perplexed at the lukewarm reception for this live action version of Bebop! This is a fun diversion, and loving ode, to the beloved anime with great performances throughout. Is it EXACTLY as awesome as the original material? We’ll, let’s just say it’s different, but in a good way, and leave it at that. Fans who expected a perfect copy of the anime will be delighted to see someI’m totally perplexed at the lukewarm reception for this live action version of Bebop! This is a fun diversion, and loving ode, to the beloved anime with great performances throughout. Is it EXACTLY as awesome as the original material? We’ll, let’s just say it’s different, but in a good way, and leave it at that. Fans who expected a perfect copy of the anime will be delighted to see some key scenes and characters survive intact, but there’s also enough new and different material to provide additional reasons for tuning in. To newcomers befuddled by the goofy mix of sci-fi-noir-camp, I’d urge you to unwind and accept those weird juxtapositions, Bebop can be a great ride. Expand
  13. Nov 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst the show starts out decently, it really drops the ball at the end. As an adaptation, you know changes will be made. Some of them work, some of them don't.
    An interesting change in this adaptation is the dynamic between the Bebop crew. In the original anime, their bond was rigid. They were broken people, tied together by circumstance who on the surface treated each other like sh*t, but who still cared for one another. In this adaptation, they seem to get along better. Jet and Spike have a far more quippy buddy-buddy relationship and Fey doesn't have a habit of continually walking out on the rest of the gang. It is because of this that the way this season ends feels both wrong and unexpected.
    Jet also is a dad now and his former flame from the anime now is his actual ex-wife. This change was not necessary perse and in the end, had a rather negative effect on the ending of the season, but it also lead to a few really cute and wholesome moments.
    Fey's background has been altered in the slightest, swapping out the character of the scheming Docter Bachus from her backstory with a con-artist stepmother who played center stage in what probably was the best episode in the series. She and Fey had great chemistry and had they made Fey more of a con artist in this show, it would have been a nigh perfect addition to her backstory.

I will compliment the show on its fight scenes. The first two episodes especially shine in this department, with a beautifully choreographed and edited fight in a casino and a church's bathroom respectively. I am by no means a martial arts expert, but the way Spike fights in this show seems rather similar to the same "be like water" fighting style that he employs in the original, often managing to use the attackers' movement against him.

The villains of the original show that got adapted into this show were done rather dirty, and here I must delve into spoiler territory. Let's start with one of my favourite villains of the original show: Doctor Londes. This cult leader, loosely based on the real-life Heaven's Gate cult, was one of the scariest characters in the original show. He created a cult that was centered all-around leaving separating the soul from the body by uploading it through a game console, a process that killed many of his followers. In the end, he turned out to be a paralyzed teen hacker whose only means of interacting with the outside world is through a digital avatar. He was a scary and tragic villain in the original show and here they just turned him into a rogue AI who kills people for the sake of killing people. How nice.
    Mad Pierrot is another example of a villain done wrong. Where in the original anime his backstory was handled rather well and gave us logical explanations for his weaknesses without them necessarily being spelled out for us, the way the live-action show introduces all info on him is.... well, it is heavy-handed on the one hand (they literally have to state he hates dogs, rather than using visual storytelling) and lackluster on the other hand (they never state that he has the mentality of a little kid, thus making the conclusion of his fight with Spike feel like it kinda came out of nowhere). I will say that Josh Randall did a fine job performing the role, it is just that the writing was bad.

Speaking of bad writing, Viscious. I am most impressed with how they handled him. I never really liked the original Viscious that much. He was your typical moody badass antagonist, who had a largely unexplored backstory and unknown motivations, next to his hatred for Spike. Though that last complaint is mostly fixed in this new adaptation, it must be said that the way the character is portrayed here is honestly kinda terrible. The original Viscious was vague but menacing. This Viscious is honestly not that threatening, mostly coming across as a whiney rich kid whom no one takes seriously at all. They took a menacing character and kinda just made him feel like a joke. Also, the position he is in by the end of the season is bound to piss people off. It pisses me off.
    The ending of this season is where the story truly diverts entirely from the anime. SPOILERS, the series ends with Spike and Viscious their epic Chruch fight being interrupted by Julia, who shoots Viscious, berates Spike for not trying to rescue her from Viscious and then takes over the Syndicate. Julia was an underdeveloped character in the original show and they tried to fix that here. But I honestly do not know how to feel about this. The twist feels almost out of nowhere, because though we have seen that Julia is capable of standing up for herself earlier in the show, we also have seen her disdain for the criminal lifestyle, which is something she has now actively accepted by the end of the show. My feelings on it are mixed and I have my doubts if this decision will pay off in season 2.

On a final note, this show is a bit of a mess. Enjoyable, but far from perfect. 5/10
  14. Nov 23, 2021
    This is BAD. But let me tell you about the good. The music, beautiful. The sets, wonderful. The VFX, decent. The only good actor was Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir). That's about it. You know John Cho is a good actor, but whoever wrote his story sucks. Faye, Let's not even talk about her. Her acting is so bad, it makes me want to vomit. Why is she acting like some punk girl, that is in aThis is BAD. But let me tell you about the good. The music, beautiful. The sets, wonderful. The VFX, decent. The only good actor was Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir). That's about it. You know John Cho is a good actor, but whoever wrote his story sucks. Faye, Let's not even talk about her. Her acting is so bad, it makes me want to vomit. Why is she acting like some punk girl, that is in a rebellious phase? I cant tell if its the story writers that screwed her, or her acting.
    Julia became a princess that needs help? Vicious looks like some emo kid. The wardrobe looks like someone took it from the anime and turned it into real life.. It's like cosplay, but worse. In general whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to get fired.

Seriously, why did they change the characters so much? If they were going to do this, they should have just started a new IP. What's the point of using an existing IP and then going, we're gonna change 90% of it to our ideal and then call it Cowboy Bebop.
  15. Nov 19, 2021
    complete trash and a disgrace to the anime, can't believe they thought anyone would want this
  16. Nov 20, 2021
    What an embaresing show...It's an insult to the origional Anime...The worst thing is the main characters, all the acting is just horrendous..The way they interact is cringe and nothing like the anime..Next worst thing is the fight scenes. Itvlearthe only one that did any training or even cared about the roll was the guy that played Spike, but the actor is just to old so even his moderateWhat an embaresing show...It's an insult to the origional Anime...The worst thing is the main characters, all the acting is just horrendous..The way they interact is cringe and nothing like the anime..Next worst thing is the fight scenes. Itvlearthe only one that did any training or even cared about the roll was the guy that played Spike, but the actor is just to old so even his moderate attempt come off strange.
    The girl that plays Faye is by far the worse part..I've seen the actress in other things and she plays the same iritating smart arse in every movie..She is probably just playing herself cause she can't act...She is nothing like Fay should be.. Faye in the anime is a highly skilled and trained hunter, she used every asset she had to achieve her goal..Netflix Faye is a clumsy joke, that just succeeds cause she's the wahmen..
    Only good thing about this show is Visual effect, they are great, like everything these days.
  17. Nov 19, 2021
    So Netflix has decided to live adapt Shinichiro Watanabe's space western magnum opus, Cowboy Bebop, and the live adaptation of Cowboy Bebop sucks - literally. The start this off, the story sucks, the cinematography sucks, the writing sucks, and everything about this adaptation freaking sucks! The biggest honorable mention that made this show very poor in quality is the VFX and you'llSo Netflix has decided to live adapt Shinichiro Watanabe's space western magnum opus, Cowboy Bebop, and the live adaptation of Cowboy Bebop sucks - literally. The start this off, the story sucks, the cinematography sucks, the writing sucks, and everything about this adaptation freaking sucks! The biggest honorable mention that made this show very poor in quality is the VFX and you'll probably see why how bad it is if I was comparing the show's cheap budget to a CW show. Forgive me for my juvenile written review but I had to vent because it's the worst thing I've ever seen since Adam Windgard's Death Note and boy that film adaptation is dumpster fire right there. The two things that feel profound in this show is the casting of these beloved characters and the soul that this show portrayed thanks to the influence that the anime had featuring Yoko Kanno. Everything else on the other hand is embarrassing and a slap to the face to the source material. If this was on HBO, it would've been good, but too bad it was on Netflix and it didn't worked at all. John Cho and the rest of the Bebop crew deserved better. Expand
  18. Nov 19, 2021
    Too many good animes have been ruined with these pointless adaptations. What are they going to crap on next, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (please no)?
  19. Nov 21, 2021
    "Review bombing?" Oh, come on, stop making garbage!
    An absolute disaster. I could have given them a 5 or a 6 if it weren't for the last 20 minutes.
    "Review bombing?" Oh, come on, stop making garbage!
    Where in the original there was magic, silences, mystery and emotion here is a jumble of vaguely developed ideas. Aesthetically it has no soul. It has no rhythm, the music is only in the background. Thrash. I feel sorry for the actors, they did a good job.
    "Anime fans are review bombing CB!" Listen, If you don't want "review bombing" stop making mediocre, soulless productions who deserves a 0, made only to be a fast and ephemeral consumer product. They perfectly replicated the ships, the clothes, the locations ... except the script and its essence. That says a lot. Look at Julia: in the original series she is a real femme fattale. She says little but has presence and personality. She didn't need to dress like a femme fattale because she was. In CB2021 julia dresses like a femme fattale but she has no attitude or character, she is a caricature of a femme fattale, because netflix in its infinite ignorance HATES femme fattales. And when it seems that her character emerges, guess what attitude he takes? Yes! resentful!. Suddenly we see Julia turn into a kind of Amber Heard who wants power (?). That's right people, they destroy a classic and then complain about the "review bombing". F*** off.
  20. Nov 19, 2021
    another disappointing adaptation .but the music is good though casting is good but they are not right for the roles
  21. Nov 20, 2021
    It's definitely a different take and it does flesh out the world in a slightly different way. I like it.
  22. Nov 21, 2021
    Too much has changed to be a faithful retelling and not enough has changed to be its own thing. Visually they did ok but all the characters and the setting are way off.
  23. Nov 22, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of those iconic shows absolutely buthchered by Netflix.

High on virtue signalling.
    In the anime there’s a character named Gren who is forced to take feminization drugs while in a military prison. His story is tragic and full of trauma. He was not feminized by choice, yet somehow Netflix decided to depict him as a ‘yas, slay queen’ empowered non-binary type and thusly cast him as such. The actor is now on the press circuit talking about how they wanted to right the wrongs of the anime. Which sums up how so very much went wrong with the project.
    From the moment the series begins it is obvious there was no understanding of what made the anime so endearing. Best to avoid.
  24. Nov 23, 2021
    They ruined it. Too obsessed with "correcting" the original while also clinging onto any crumb of nostalgia it can. Please, please, please, just watch the original show.
  25. Nov 23, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to imagine it takes a lot of arrogance to do a live action version of a beloved story and decide to “fix it”. The lack of noir, the awful treatment of characters and unnecessary marvel-esque banter ruin the experience. What does this live action version give us over the original? Just disappointment. Expand
  26. Nov 23, 2021
    Yeah there are just some things, you shouldn't touch. Did you guys ever heard the phrase, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
  27. Nov 23, 2021
    I really wanted to love this show, but as a big fan of the original this just misses the mark. Where the original was slick and effortlessly cool and stylish, this show is cheesy and tries too hard. It feels like the budget was spent all on the production quality, but not the creative talent behind the camera. Visuals from the original series are recreated and reimagined well, but thoseI really wanted to love this show, but as a big fan of the original this just misses the mark. Where the original was slick and effortlessly cool and stylish, this show is cheesy and tries too hard. It feels like the budget was spent all on the production quality, but not the creative talent behind the camera. Visuals from the original series are recreated and reimagined well, but those beautiful scenes are filled with characters who aren't compelling the way the characters in the original show were. Tweaks made to the original storyline are questionable at best, and much of the dialogue would play better with a laugh track in the background. Yoko Kanno is back with a new original score... that sounds almost exactly the same as the original original score. I really wonder how much she was payed to just come back and re-record the same old tracks with a few tiny tweaks. It feels like the main cast could have been great if they had better material to work with (esp John Cho!), but as-is it all feels like the writers did not understand the characters. Overall, I think it would have been much wiser for Netflix to fund the original creators of the anime to create a new spin-off set in the same universe with a new cast of characters to explore. They recently produced 'Carole and Tuesday' from those original creators, and that show was full of the kind of passion and heart that I missed so much from the original bebop. It makes me really sad to think many people will try out this live-action bebop and get a negative impression of the whole story. If you're curious about bebop, do yourself a huge favor and just stick with the original anime. Expand
  28. Nov 22, 2021
    While the story alters the orginal in mahy, most of the time bad ways, I still found it enjoyable. Spike and Jet are in my opinion, perfectly cast. Where this show goes wrong is the ending (horrible) and faye and eds actors are just cringe. If you can look beyond the imperfections, You will have a fun, wild ride.
  29. Nov 27, 2021
    Bad writing, bad acting, overacting, questionable-at-best casting, bad direction, bad editing, overuse of Dutch angles, ghastly dialogue, poor and rushed usage of music, somehow takes longer runtime than the anime to say and do less, almost complete of space action, complete lack of aerial dogfights, sloppy choreography, John Cho's just too **** old and slow , the lines in his face are soBad writing, bad acting, overacting, questionable-at-best casting, bad direction, bad editing, overuse of Dutch angles, ghastly dialogue, poor and rushed usage of music, somehow takes longer runtime than the anime to say and do less, almost complete of space action, complete lack of aerial dogfights, sloppy choreography, John Cho's just too **** old and slow , the lines in his face are so obvious in close-up shots. Poor understanding of the source material, characterization, motivations and themes. Expand
  30. Nov 19, 2021
    The characters and story have been butchered. The dialog is cringy instead of badass. As a stand alone, without nostalgia for the original, I wouldn't have made it past the first episode. They really tried to make this bad, and they did a great job.
  31. Nov 21, 2021
    New: after finishing can truly say that this is sht and plot is really terrible Old: Awesome serial, as a fan of the original i can truly say that they did amazing work. You can’t fond anything like this on tv nowadays
  32. Nov 21, 2021
    It is the exact cancer we expected it to be. A supreme example of how american tv studios can take anything and strip it of its charm, pump it full of politics and make it indistinguishable from what it used to be. It brings to mind the quote 'Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt and ruin what good forces have invented or made.' Stop accepting garbage like this. If theyIt is the exact cancer we expected it to be. A supreme example of how american tv studios can take anything and strip it of its charm, pump it full of politics and make it indistinguishable from what it used to be. It brings to mind the quote 'Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt and ruin what good forces have invented or made.' Stop accepting garbage like this. If they can ruin Cowboy Bebop like this then they don't deserve your money. It's a mockery and an FU to fans. Expand
  33. Nov 19, 2021
    God damn never seen a **** like this before, to be honest i didn't wanted to start this but a friend of mine ask me to do so here i go just read the reviews below i got no more to say except i'm going to comit a suicide they ruined my favorite show of all time good job netflix you just lost a customer ffs i'm so pissed off.J"ai besoin de sérum physiologique a cause de cette purge
  34. Nov 20, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This remake of a much loved classic is visually well done, but misses the mark in every other category. The reshaping of the story, awful (seriously bad) dialogue, casting of supporting characters, loss of music themed structure, and being packed with (now) classic Netflix ideologies takes a perfect source and bastardizes it into a joke of a reimagining. Spike, Jet, and even Fay are tolerable shadows of excellent characters, but the side cast is where it falls apart. Vicious, the mysterious antagonist to Spikes quippy laissez-faire attitude, is an overexposed quivering coward when he should be silent, dark, and intimidating. Ana, who should be posing as a simple shopkeeper is a loud angry club boss. Gren, a sullen and gentle War on Titan veteran/jazz musician was one of the best characters in fiction history and is now presented as a loud idiot in a dress. Gren’s feminine form was an important part of the Jupiter Jazz story arch and is just a prop in this bastardized version of Bebop. The list goes on… In this version of the classic, the episodes repeat the same “type” of bad guy with little variation. Hakim is still awesome, but that’s about it. Overall this could have been a decent version of Bebop if the writing and characters could have been given a bit more respect. Making Vicious a fragile coward was a huge mistake that takes the wind out of the story immediately. If I told you this show sucks, I’d expect you to respond with a jubilant “seems that way”. Expand
  35. Nov 19, 2021
    I give it a three just because the sets looks good, but the rest is just cheesy and not even a good show from an objective standpoint without considering it a remake of the original anime.
  36. Nov 19, 2021
    I'll say this: it tries hard. Too hard. Though it had moments it brilliance (CGI, music, casting), it wasn't enough to make up for the terrible dialogue, poor storytelling, and the complete lack of soul. If it wasn't named "Cowboy Bebop", I wouldn't have been able to recognize it.
  37. Nov 20, 2021
    This live action Bebop adaptation is somehow way worse than I anticipated. It's like a bad cosplay mashup of the source material with none of the drama or heart that at times feels overly goofball and grotesque. The saddest part is some day some kid is going to watch this and not the 10 out of 10 anime.
  38. Nov 22, 2021
    So many negetive waves for this .. You like the anime you will like this .. i was never bored with any episode ..
  39. Nov 23, 2021
    This thing is a insult to the intelligence of the original product. Don't waste your time on it, just watch the original. Unless you want to see the difference between a good serie and a bad one with the same material. love
  40. Nov 22, 2021
    I don’t understand all the hate. The talent portrayed the characters well and I was entertained all throughout. Look forward to the next season.
  41. Nov 20, 2021
    Despicable.

The only decent cast choices were Jet and Ein.

Everyone else was horrible.

The show is a joke, the writing is terrible and they made a mockery of the classic anime.
  42. Nov 20, 2021
    It's impossible to believe the people who created this don't just hate anime in general, and CB in particular. No other conclusion is possible for this travesty.
  43. Nov 20, 2021
  44. Nov 22, 2021
    Just watch the anime if you don't want a horrible, disastrous and messed up version of a butchered masterpiece.
  45. Nov 22, 2021
    I genuinely likes this series so far. I was hesitant to give it approval because of the place the original holds in my heart. I loved the witty dialogue, cartoonish action and well delivered drama that make the original so amazing. Although I can admit the pacing could have been slightly better, I can proudly say that I enjoyed this adaptation.
  46. Nov 22, 2021
    I cannot binge watch this series... it's just that bad.

Many will complain that this isn't true to the anime, which they would be correct. If you've watched the anime first, than you may not enjoy this version as much. However, this isn't the anime and if you can separate the two, the series isn't too bad. Just bad enough that you feel frustrated that they're pulling back on so
    I cannot binge watch this series... it's just that bad.

However, this isn't the anime and if you can separate the two, the series isn't too bad. Just bad enough that you feel frustrated that they're pulling back on so much of the acting.

John Cho - He plays a respectable Spike. You can see how this was a passion project for John Cho as he tries to bring Spike to live-action. The wittiness and interactions he has with his cast mates feel real. My gripe with Cho is his action scenes. In the first eps. it should be the prelude to what you're about to see. However, the action is weak, limp, no impact (which they kind of fix in the 2nd eps.) The use of CG was cheap and feels badly done. First episode was generally a disappointment.

Mustafa Shakir - His portrayal of Jet was pretty spot-on. I actually enjoyed his character and his chemistry with John Cho. They play the buddy cop duo pretty well together and it's apparent on screen.

Daniella Pineda - One sore spot in the series. I cannot get behind her character in this show. She's portraying a caricature of Harley Quinn instead of Faye Valentine. Or maybe that's the comedian behind her, but it feels like a cheap knock-off Harley.

The other cast of chars. are re-imagined and while some of them work seamlessly. Others are not as well received.

I absolutely cannot Binge Watch this show, it doesn't hold my interest enough and that's the frustrating part. They show glimpses where the show is funny and interesting, but than they pull back and it feels restrained. For that reason, while I would dance around a 4-5, let's be honest. If I have to force myself to watch this show, it cannot get any higher than a 3.
  47. Nov 23, 2021
    Once again, Netflix have butchered a classic. If you like the original, you probably won't like this. If you haven't already watched the original, watch that instead.
  48. Nov 19, 2021
    Yikes. This whole show feels like it was made by cosplayers and college students.
  49. Nov 19, 2021
    What an atrocious attempt to adapt an anime, in a long line of pathetic attempts to adapt anime
  50. Nov 19, 2021
    Episode 1 review: Feels fan made. Direction, editing, action choreography and acting is terrible. Strong B movie vibes.
  51. Nov 19, 2021
    They really fell short with the casting of Spike's and Faye's character. The melodrama and the Jazz which the original anime contains can't be felt in this one. No one likes a downgrade in a product from its original. Netflix should start realizing that instead of trying to diversify the characters try to talk it out with the writer of the story. The writer always knows what kind of actorThey really fell short with the casting of Spike's and Faye's character. The melodrama and the Jazz which the original anime contains can't be felt in this one. No one likes a downgrade in a product from its original. Netflix should start realizing that instead of trying to diversify the characters try to talk it out with the writer of the story. The writer always knows what kind of actor will suit the character since they build an entire timeline and story based upon that character. Also it felt like a cheap rip off version of something extremely expensive. Expand
  52. Nov 20, 2021
    I’m not sure why everyone has their knives out on this one. As an alternative universe take on the source material I found this offering very entertaining indeed I would say I a masterpiece in its own right. My only quibble is the reworking of Vicious San Julia. Otherwise this was a stellar effort.
  53. Nov 19, 2021
    La serie es un insulto a la obra original, como la mayoria de los live actions no cumple con ser fiel a la historia.
  54. Nov 20, 2021
    I know Netflix throws a lot of cash around in the industry, but it's hard to believe any amount could've been enough for Watanabe to be OK with them taking this massive sloppy dump all over his most popular work (and one of the greatest animes of all time). Hard to see it as anything but a colossal sell-out, so I hope he at least got tens of millions.
  55. Nov 20, 2021
    In a weird way I have to give them some credit, there are a lot of really awful live action anime adaptations, but this might be the worst of all, fitting that it's based on the greatest anime ever. Would rate it -10 if I could.
  56. Nov 21, 2021
    Era difícil hacerlo mal y lo hicieron peor, no esperaba nada y aún así me decepcionó, le pongo esta nota porque los pocos efectos especiales fueron pasables pero como fan del anime, esto es un insulto
  57. Nov 20, 2021
    You are better off watching the original. Very bad, very cringey. Not at all worth your time.
  58. Nov 22, 2021
    There have been bad adaptions in the past but this is the worst I've ever experienced. Pleaae cancel this so as not to bring more shame upon such a great series. Dont warp a series beyond recognition to make a show you think would be better to express your view points. Just create an original rework. Dont bring down the name of another work. I'm not anti woke or antiprogressive but i amThere have been bad adaptions in the past but this is the worst I've ever experienced. Pleaae cancel this so as not to bring more shame upon such a great series. Dont warp a series beyond recognition to make a show you think would be better to express your view points. Just create an original rework. Dont bring down the name of another work. I'm not anti woke or antiprogressive but i am against terrible media that tries to blame hate for bad writing.no one cares baout there being gay, trans, non binary etc characters in fhe show... Or atleast no one should and most reviews ive read dont even mention it as an issue. The writing however islazy and poor. Like bad fan fiction. Expand
  59. Nov 19, 2021
    Anther disappointment from netflix. Totally missed atmosphere of anime and simply went with woke stuff.
  60. Nov 19, 2021
    Right you dipsticks that all hating on it because it’s not to your expectations or is a “Sin” within itself.

I for one agree wholeheartedly that the anime is the best, the greatest etc etc HOWEVER- The live action did a pretty decent job. The special effected weren’t even bad give me a break you’re making it sound like it’s a bloody power rangers special when in actual fact the CGI and

The live action did a pretty decent job. The special effected weren’t even bad give me a break you’re making it sound like it’s a bloody power rangers special when in actual fact the CGI and the mise en scene is excellent to say the least. The first episode where you’re virtually panned out to see the planets etc I think that’s movie level right there not bloody awful CBS superman flying level smh. This ain’t smallville
  61. Nov 20, 2021
    The good performances, the awesome music by Yoko Kano and the sci-fi madness of a setting made by Shinichiro Watanabe now brought back to wondrous live action are all overwhelmingly silenced by the visual fiasco of cinematography and the poor teleplay made for this Netflix series.

Blueprinting something from an anime is difficult and rarely accomplished. This definitely was not accomplished. Not worthy of a rewatch.
  62. Nov 20, 2021
    This hurts. Like really hurts me.

This hurts. Like really hurts me.

The original Cowboy Bebop wasn't just a show to me, it was an inspiration. Ever since I watched Spike when I was 10, I began modeling myself after him. The characters in the show were learning experiences. People who went through strife, struggle, growth, adaptation, loss, love, and self-reflection. To this day, this is my go-to anime. For any person who has thoughts about getting into anime, I immediately point them to this one. I still watch it frequently. If I were trapped on an island and had to watch the anime on replay for the rest of my life, I would never get bored.

The casting was there (kinda), the CGI was there, the music, the budget, the basis of the story...was there. Where as detractors complain the anime was too serious, this show tries to be too funny. Its cheesy, cringy, bad acting, bland character development (if at all) and too much silliness. But worst of all, it just lacks the soul of the anime.

I wish I never watched this, but I can't unwatch it now. And I feel lesser as a person now that I have.
  63. Nov 20, 2021
    Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please. Kill me please.
  64. Nov 20, 2021
    I even thought about giving it a 9…. Is it really a 9, or even an 8? Probably not…. But I went in with extremely low expectations and thought it would be a dumpster fire on the same scale as Deathnote. It’s not.

The bad: Yea, it’s cringe at times. I thought the sound mix was lacking. Music being too low during moments it should had popped. I didn’t care much for the Vicious selection, the actor was fine, but he just didn’t seem a good fit. The direction Julia went was the worst part, but hey that’s what they did.

The good: Jet Black. Incredible. Just let season two be all about Jet. Spike grew on me, but Jet had me from the jump. Faye wasn’t terrible.

Hopefully there will be a season two…. But I guess we’ll see. Take care!
  65. Nov 21, 2021
    Honestly, it's a great show. Most of the people slamming it either act like the mere presence of gay characters is woke, or could never have been pleased by any remake. I'm glad that everyone can enjoy this show & people from all backgrounds can find a character or two to identify with.
  66. Nov 20, 2021
    You already know. Don’t even waste your time, you will regret it. The show is so bad it made me hate the original.
  67. Nov 20, 2021
    Music - too quiet in the mix in the live action; pieces aren't given time to breath; music is ubiquitous meaning it doesn't ever really stand out. Poorly paced: it takes twice as long to tell half of the story. Some sets are tiny compared to the original so the story and action feel cramped on those occasions. Lighting makes most things look cheap. Sometimes it thinks it's a comedy.
  68. Nov 21, 2021
    In my opinion the start of the show makes it a good adaptation. But after 3 to 4 episodes it shows it weakness like how characters from the anime are missing. I like the actors and their voices and I can't understand why some reviews think that the kind of their acting is "cringe". All in all I give the show a solid 7 out of 10
  69. Nov 20, 2021
    Faye lesbica, vicious incel, spike não sendo "calmo com a água", ed interpretada por um garoto, julia parecendo uma garota de bordel, gren mudado completamente... enfim...
  70. Nov 20, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Which Julia is this? And this ending? They just made a weak Julia, who out of nowhere goes against everything and everyone, and this Ed? just horrible this adaptation Expand
  71. Nov 21, 2021
    10/10 i loved this series so much, i hoped the cowboy bebop on the netflix get a season 2
  72. Nov 21, 2021
    Its RIDICULOUS that I gotta give it a 10 just to balance things out since a lot of people who are "reviewing it" obviously didn't watch it and/or are just mad it isnt a carbon copy. That being said I think they did a good job with casting, camera work and scenario BUT there is some weird dialogue choices, pacing issues and then uhhh... That last scene. But overall this deserves a solid 7.Its RIDICULOUS that I gotta give it a 10 just to balance things out since a lot of people who are "reviewing it" obviously didn't watch it and/or are just mad it isnt a carbon copy. That being said I think they did a good job with casting, camera work and scenario BUT there is some weird dialogue choices, pacing issues and then uhhh... That last scene. But overall this deserves a solid 7. I am excited for the second season since you can see all the love they put into this. Expand
  73. Nov 21, 2021
    There was no reason to do that, it's descusting like watching someone you love bieng humiliated
  74. Nov 22, 2021
    Being a huge fan of the original series I'm glad they kept so much heart in the show. The characters and locations all feel very similar to the show and are all very well done. I would definitely recommend the show if you're not really a fan of anime. This version is great for people new to the series. However I cannot recommend it over the original anime if you're willing to put the timeBeing a huge fan of the original series I'm glad they kept so much heart in the show. The characters and locations all feel very similar to the show and are all very well done. I would definitely recommend the show if you're not really a fan of anime. This version is great for people new to the series. However I cannot recommend it over the original anime if you're willing to put the time in the anime won't disappoint. Expand
  75. Nov 22, 2021
    Very enjoyable. The episodes vary in quality but I really enjoyed it. There are some incredible scenes.
  76. Nov 21, 2021
    One of the best tv-shows of 2021. Don't read those 'true anime fans' reviews, just watch the show and decide by your own. Perfect cast, perfect atmosphere, perfect music and perfect effects. Those people who send 0 just do it out of harm.
  77. Nov 21, 2021
    Much of the drive behind the original series was that it had a story to tell. As such the care and artistry in doing so couldn't have been replicated. But this was created for a purpose too: milking a cash cow into dust. Unlike the original this in no way exists for the purpose of telling its own story, the merits of its own art and medium, nor the intentions of its creators. There wasMuch of the drive behind the original series was that it had a story to tell. As such the care and artistry in doing so couldn't have been replicated. But this was created for a purpose too: milking a cash cow into dust. Unlike the original this in no way exists for the purpose of telling its own story, the merits of its own art and medium, nor the intentions of its creators. There was never any aim or honest willingness to improve or even add to Bebop. The only care being taken here is to force-feed the masses because there's money to be made. Expand
  78. Yov
    Nov 21, 2021
    Not worth it as a fan of the original and not worth it s is own thing, the acting is not as bad as you can imagine but the script is bad and it is overall to goofy, even the amazing music is not used correctly, Netflix did it again with this live action
  79. Nov 22, 2021
    Just to preface: Huge fan of the original. Probably my favourite anime. It's surprising to me that so many people who are trashing it have never even watched the Anime (*cough penguinz0*)

It's really not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, strangely enough, I went in to watch it saying "Okay, it can't be THAT bad." I had no intention of watching it. Ater watching the first few episodes I'm actually hooked. It's a good spin on the story and doesn't try to be anything it's not.

The casting, acting, music, action is all pretty damn good. The story is refreshing if you've seen the original a handful of times. It's a fun spin on it and doesn't take itself too seriously but does a good job of recreating the aesthetic and feel in live action.

The writing for dialogue is a little lacking at times but otherwise nothing outside the realm of what you'd actually see in an anime.

Overall pleasantly surprised with this one. Give it a shot for yourself and go in without putting it on a pedestal to the original and you'll enjoy it.

Honestly, this is probably the best live-action anime yet. It's not perfect, but a huge step in the right direction and definitely good entertainment all around.
  80. Nov 22, 2021
    Big fan of the original, I like how they show other sides of the characters. Acting is big questionable at times but its a good watch.
  81. Nov 20, 2021
    If you want the SAME experience, you're not gonna like this show, BUT if you know what "adaptation" means, ergo... it has the same vibe, thanks to the fantastic music and visuals and the characters, of course, you're gonna like this! If you're just a typical hater who doesn't know what adaptation means or simple you just doesn't care, you just want to hate it because you think "Anime fansIf you want the SAME experience, you're not gonna like this show, BUT if you know what "adaptation" means, ergo... it has the same vibe, thanks to the fantastic music and visuals and the characters, of course, you're gonna like this! If you're just a typical hater who doesn't know what adaptation means or simple you just doesn't care, you just want to hate it because you think "Anime fans (myself included) are above everyone and everything" you're not gonna like this show, and you don't deserver to call yourself a fan. Netflix' Cowboy Bebop isn't perfect BUT it has everything that a real Cowboy Bebop fan want's from a show like this. It has elemets from the original, therefore the anime fans can appreciate it too and it has many new elemets as well so the people who didn't watched the anime can enjoy this as well! And that's the point of an adaptation! If you're not blind you can see that the creators loves the originals and wanted to make the best possible adaptation for everyone! They have succeeded in that! Expand
  82. Nov 20, 2021
    The poor reviews are from neckbeard weebs that won't let themselves have fun. Pure and simple.

Is this adaptation of the legendary anime flawless? No. But if you realize what it is, an interpretation and homage to the original, you'll have fun with it. Keep your expectations in check, chill on being overly critical, take it for what it is. For the most part the casting is great, the CGI is good, the action is fun. Vicious is cringe but you know what, emo sword boy was in the anime too.

Cut loose, don't be a dork, have a fun time with it.
  83. Nov 20, 2021
    As a die-hard fan of the original anime. I love it. Still don't understand all the hate, I am rewatching it now and find it even better. Music is fantastic, style is unique, creativity is out of the charts. In a world where everything is superhero movies... you won't find anything like cowboy bebop anywhere!
  84. Nov 20, 2021
    Excellent show hits all the right marks isn't perfect but what is. I'd rather have 90% greatness vs. nothing at all. So don't listen to the trolls and people that are wearing rose colored glasses for anime. Solid cast especially Jet Black.. I almost thought they were dubbing his voice from the original anime it's that good. Watch it. Then get on here and push back against the negativityExcellent show hits all the right marks isn't perfect but what is. I'd rather have 90% greatness vs. nothing at all. So don't listen to the trolls and people that are wearing rose colored glasses for anime. Solid cast especially Jet Black.. I almost thought they were dubbing his voice from the original anime it's that good. Watch it. Then get on here and push back against the negativity and write something positive. Expand
  85. Nov 21, 2021
    This is a terrific adaptation. I really didn’t expect it to find such a great balance between the original and live action sensibilities. Highly recommended whether you’re an fan of the original anime or just looking for something really, really cool to watch.
  86. Nov 21, 2021
    I’m shocked by the ratings. Though to be fair, Tom of nostalgia fueling my rating and probably clouding my judgement. The sets and music alone are fun
  87. Nov 20, 2021
    First let me get this one thing out of the way, yes I have seen the anime multiple time, it is in my collection. And yes I do think the anime is better, it is a masterpiece.

On with the review. This takes its own spin on things, not in a bad way, just in its own way. The acting is good, especially Mustafa Shakir as Jet Black is perfect, both visually and in his acting he brings that

On with the review.
    This takes its own spin on things, not in a bad way, just in its own way.
    The acting is good, especially Mustafa Shakir as Jet Black is perfect, both visually and in his acting he brings that character to life.
    The music is perfect, actually I think the music raises the score a few points on its own.
    The action is standard with a few parts shining and most being between ok and good.
    Visually the show does a good job when it comes to the world, things look like they should.
    There are cringy moment, and I can see them being to much for some, I just found them funny but that is me.

It is not a deep show, but does it have do be? I was entertained and that is good enough for me.
  88. Nov 21, 2021
    Redeeming factors can't overcome the barrage of Joss Whedonesque humor and a truly terrible Vicious/Julia/'Fearless' arc.
  89. Nov 23, 2021
    So I think going into this show and seeing it all the way through I'm going to give it a 7/10 barely. The reason been is that the show progressively got better as it went along. There were some issues I did have a problem with, but I think what they did correctly involved the casting of the main trio.
    John Cho I feel was a pretty good choice for Spike. I do wish they'd give him a bit more of showing his fighting prowess off instead of cuts in the footage. Something I will revisit.
    Mustafa Shakir as Jet Black I think is the best casting in the whole show and adding an aspect to him which deepens his character with further relationships adds to him more, and he portrays quite well while keeping the Jet personality.
    Daniella Pineda as Faye Valentine at first did really annoy me not her as an actress but the direction she was given. I think as it went further along her portrayal got a lot better and was pretty great at the end.
    I think the chemistry of the main cast works well together, especially as it goes along and there are a few particular scenes weirdly when its more Faye playing off either Spike or Jet, that we really do see a good dynamic
    E1d …pawfect casting and a funny scene later on in the season
    I think the casting of Vicious was ok, though I do think they made his portrayal reflect through his name quite a bit and could be dialled back a tad.
    Julia was an interesting casting, I'm still 50/50 for sometimes it does feel like a Broadway performance with her acting though at the end I'm interested to see where it goes.
    One major point will raise is that the CGI in the show was really good, and this is where I will start to reflect on the negatives. Majorly, the set's look too staged, especially the Bebop and some streets visited and I think this primarily comes down to the cinematography of the show which hindered it not just in shooting of sets, but also in the shots for fights, there were some excellent fight choreography in there at times, but was hinder by cuts been to close or two many quick cuts, not letting the scene breathe. I think if the next season happens, which I really hope it does, as I see a good diamond in the rough, brining some experienced fight cinematographers on as well as general scene cinematographers, could definitely boost this up a lot.
    With how they show went they have taken a lot of episodes and mix, mish-mashed them around and its interesting as I didn't mind that dynamic. Though I do think if they either get one more season they have like 16 episodes to cover + movie. I'd suggest either 2 more seasons at most with adapting the film and cutting the episode lengths to 30 mins max, or 1 season but make the episodes shorter and make it 13 episodes long.
    Taking all this into consideration, I wasn't able to binge the show like other Netflix properties, as the pacing and length of episodes did make me feel like I needed a break, but maybe that's not a bad thing as it gave me time to reflect on the episodes.
    One final thing I think the music was pretty on point, though some scenes they could of either flowed better with the action or had the audio mixing reworked a little to make it more noticeable.
    I do feel a lot of people are review bombing the show just because they are not happy and not even attempted to finish the show. I do understand if people get through the show and then give a fair review but for the general audience if you want to put something on in the evening with a nice glass of whisky or wine, this will be a good show to put on
    Regarding one further Character, I think the portrayal RIGHT at the end was interesting, though their introduction was VERY heavy and over enthusiastic. I think they went for an 11/10 and should of ironically been dialled down to a 7 like this review.
    To finish off I'd say give this show 5 episodes (half way) way and if you don't like it then I understand, but for me I think by the 5th episode I was really wanting more. I really hope we do it it.
  90. Nov 20, 2021
    Only recently saw the original anime, Really liked it, I know they’re always going to be different, Still don't understand all the hate, I am rewatching it now and find it even better. Music is unique, stylistic show, creativity is out of the charts. In a world where everything is superhero movies, this is a welcome break from that.
  91. Nov 19, 2021
    Visually stunning, acting is in line with the anime and I quickly felt some connection with the main crew who have some great banter.

Fight pieces seem to be off pace slightly, might me be intentional but after the first couple of episodes it’s almost a nice break from the usual hard to follow action scenes we get in a lot of AAA titles. It has a Farscape, stargate sort of vibe to it

It has a Farscape, stargate sort of vibe to it so I suspect despite the low ratings some people are giving it, it’s likely to wind up with a cult following.

You can’t tell me it’s not beautiful.
  92. Nov 19, 2021
    It's different than the original, but really nice. Seems like it's getting beaten up by fanboys on both user and pro reviewers. It works, it's fun. Its tone is more streamlined than the original animated series, but Im sure the original "each episode has a different tone and theme" approach would appease to people fighting for the honor of their favorite cartoon, but not be interesting toIt's different than the original, but really nice. Seems like it's getting beaten up by fanboys on both user and pro reviewers. It works, it's fun. Its tone is more streamlined than the original animated series, but Im sure the original "each episode has a different tone and theme" approach would appease to people fighting for the honor of their favorite cartoon, but not be interesting to anyone else.

Also, heroes smoke, hate environmentalists and make fun of fake meat. And the series is called woke, because its's on Netflix. We just can't have nice things. We're gonna get more Fast and Furious only soon.
  93. Nov 20, 2021
    Loved the anime liked the show. Usually anime to live action is bad but I thought this was good. True to the series and its own little spin. Unsure by all the hate and 0s. Can't please everyone I guess.
  94. Nov 19, 2021
    Bastante entretenido, la dinámica entre los protagonistas es lo mejor junto a la música, las peleas sí estan un poco flojas.
  95. Nov 20, 2021
    Wow, so much negativity. I am a fan of the original anime and truth be told, I was expecting this to suck big time. Several episodes in, I found it to be a slightly different animal to the original, and this is a very good anime adaptation of the original. Of course, bringing the anime's unique sensibility to the screen is difficult but I found the casts, the production values to beWow, so much negativity. I am a fan of the original anime and truth be told, I was expecting this to suck big time. Several episodes in, I found it to be a slightly different animal to the original, and this is a very good anime adaptation of the original. Of course, bringing the anime's unique sensibility to the screen is difficult but I found the casts, the production values to be spot on. An c'mon guys, People seemed to be spoiled in this age of high prestige TV. Yes, I know that each Disney+ shows can cost up to $25 mill an episode. Cowboy Bebob will not get that budget for sure. It is based of a cult anime. They have to work the best with what they have. Worth a watch but fans of the anime should turn down their expectation down a notch. Just be glad that Netflix is releasing these live action stuffs, something unthinkable in the past. Expand
  96. Nov 19, 2021
    I was expecting the worst as a longtime fan of the anime, but it didn't take long for my opinion to be happily swayed. I was so ready to hate on it. But I stayed up late finishing the season, and now I'm kind of in love with this show. Sure, it takes some liberties with the source material, but it's also a lot of fun. The music is excellent. The chemistry between Spike and Jet is golden.I was expecting the worst as a longtime fan of the anime, but it didn't take long for my opinion to be happily swayed. I was so ready to hate on it. But I stayed up late finishing the season, and now I'm kind of in love with this show. Sure, it takes some liberties with the source material, but it's also a lot of fun. The music is excellent. The chemistry between Spike and Jet is golden. And the action is pretty decent. I was very pleasantly surprised. Expand
  97. Nov 19, 2021
    Although it is almost like a “reimagining” of the original animation, it has its twists. The music by Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts is always top tier! A lot of fun!
  98. Nov 22, 2021
    Ignore the REVIEW BOMBING losers. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected based on the reviews. The reviewers just drop zeroes to skew the results. A fair score is actually a 6-8. If you'd never seen the anime, you'd like the show and feel like this is definitely better than your average netflix series.

If you want a good comparison, see The Witcher. It had weaknesses from the source material but was still enjoyable. Cowboy Bebop shows a lot of promise. There are some issues, but it has a great story, characters, and is a lot of fun. They need better fight choreography, and a larger budget would make this a killer show. I am not a fan of Spike's casting. I like John Cho, funny guy, but he's not handsome, fit, or brooding enough for Spike. John Cho makes this more of a comedy and (i'd wager) is why we don't see any truly great fight scenes. You can tell he worked hard to get in shape, but like most people doesn't possess the musculature for the role. Hopefully next season he can train more and work with a decent choreographer.

Watch the show for yourself. My brother and I are longtime Bebop fans and both really enjoyed it.
  99. Nov 24, 2021
    Apparently the worst of Cowboy Bebop are the fans. I really enjoyed the show. I'm going to watch the anime because of it.
  100. Nov 24, 2021
    I was truly expecting the worst based on reviews, but both my wife (never seen the anime) and I (big fan already) really enjoyed it. Of course the pacing/storyline/character traits are going to differ from the anime, it's 30ish years old. The music and style is just like the original, and the casting was great. Really hope they do a season 2.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Kelly
    Dec 3, 2021
    More generally, a lack of rhythm permeates much of the Cowboy Bebop remake, including the lead performance. Cho looks the part but can often struggle to muster the charisma and screen presence needed to sell Spike as an effortlessly cool rogue. Although, as already mentioned, he’s hardly helped by the show’s limp direction and scripting.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Nov 19, 2021
    The series has a routine professionalism that serves it well in its lighter moments but doesn’t alleviate the drudgery of its later episodes. ... In its resolute ordinariness, the main value of this new “Bebop” would be to drive you back to watch the old one.
  3. Reviewed by: Tirhakah Love
    Nov 19, 2021
    As a whole, the new Cowboy Bebop is just so ploddingly inefficient and misguided, the idea that it could share the same DNA as its original is farcical. When it comes to stakes, the original is simply in another weight class.