• Network: NETFLIX
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 28, 2017
Season #: 3, 2, 1
4.9

1. Apr 29, 2017
    There are people that went to this show thinking about the trailer and the original movie. When you go to watch something with such ammount of hate with you, no matter how good it is, you'll still give it a 0/10 on Metacritic.

Dear White People is well directed, ok written, well edited and very well performed. Despite all controversy sorrounding the show's base idea, the final result is actually good, with a good progression introducing the main characters and developing the trama around them. It's really weird to see how negative this show is being recieved, I think nobody can talk about race nowadays.

Obs.: I'm not white, if this is somehow relevant to you.
  2. Apr 30, 2017
    The number of asinine negative user reviews below display exactly why this show is needed. "When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."
  3. Apr 28, 2017
    'Dear White People' is everything I love about television: it's poignant, smart and has amazing characters. Though it may not be for everyone's taste well... it doesn't stop being poignant, smart and having amazing characters, So, deal with it.
  4. Apr 29, 2017
    LMAO look at all these fake outrage reviews, you really should review the whole series not just the title or a few episodes. People writing a review not knowing the black face parties actually happened in multiple Ivy League schools with no consequence and that the protagonists shift their worldviews by the end of the show. "Dear White People" isn't just about white prejudice it's aboutLMAO look at all these fake outrage reviews, you really should review the whole series not just the title or a few episodes. People writing a review not knowing the black face parties actually happened in multiple Ivy League schools with no consequence and that the protagonists shift their worldviews by the end of the show. "Dear White People" isn't just about white prejudice it's about prejudice from all sides. But of course us whites gotta make it about us don't we? The show is OK not for everyone. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2018
    LOL at the people here trying so hard to explain why they disliked the show without being racists. Dear friends, YOU ARE RACISTS.
  6. Oct 2, 2018
    A well written, slickly produced drama that -- having been a student myself at the satired Ivy League school -- is, on the whole, sharply aware of the underlying, simmering issue of race at institutions like these.

Funny, uncomfortable, and incisive, this was something I did not expect to like as much as I did. I first heard of the show when it first came out last year and reading news reports decided I wasn't at all interested in it. A lazy, slow Saturday afternoon with nothing to watch brought this show up in my Netflix queue, and I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did.

Give it a chance -- you might just like it.
  7. Nov 13, 2018
    I've not seen this, but I'm going to give it a 10 anyway to prove that I'm the least racist and most apologetic white man on the planet.
  8. Dec 22, 2018
    A fine example on Metacritic where it makes a whole heap more sense to trust the critic reviews over the white privileged armchair reviewers who can't see beyond their own noses because of prejudice
  9. Jan 5, 2018
    This was awesome and eye-opening. It stands on its own. As social commentary, appropriate and to the point. Good characters, good development. There are characters that I like and don't like, but I like how they're so carefully crafted and well played, because how often can you actually have feelings about an imaginary person? These characters feel real. The storylines pop, the humour isThis was awesome and eye-opening. It stands on its own. As social commentary, appropriate and to the point. Good characters, good development. There are characters that I like and don't like, but I like how they're so carefully crafted and well played, because how often can you actually have feelings about an imaginary person? These characters feel real. The storylines pop, the humour is well placed and takes the edge off the intensity for those who are less comfortable with that, without cheapening things. It's stylish, but still maintains a level of seriousness that kept me paying attention and thinking. In the morass of **** shows that get pooped out these days, I really wish we had more quality work like this.

To those uncomfortable with the subject matter, that's rough. I'm hoping that in a generation or two that'll just be something we all embarrassingly facepalm about.
  10. Jan 12, 2018
    Sharp, witty and whip-crack fast, but slows down enough for the viewers to catch their breath. Confrontational by design, self aware. Some truly hilarious one liners amid the continuing conflict. Fun stuff!
  11. Feb 11, 2018
    A witt reflexion about prejudice and racism in a camous community, mixing multiple pont of views of offenders and offended. The cast makes a good effort for mix comedy and drama,
  12. Jun 28, 2017
    Before I talk about the ridiculous backlash to this show (which I can't resist addressing), I just want to spend a moment praising it, because it's really, really good.

Dear White People is an often funny series following a group of black college students. Many of these students are focused on addressing issues of racism but being college students, the struggle is often interrupted by the needs for sex, friendship, status, and petty drama.

While its sharp writing, witty lines, and engaging characters are enough reason to watch, the series is notable for its appreciation of complexity. Whether it's a fiery radical who's keeps her white boyfriend on the down-low or a charming budding politician suffocating in the role his father gave him, this is a show that acknowledges it's characters flaws, such as hypocrisy and self-righteousness, and their confusion in defining their place in the world, even though it is ultimately on their side.

Now about the critics ... There are a lot of very harsh reviews here, but many represent reflexive anger, the same cause of the insanely high number of people who downvoted DWP's cute, amusing and barely edgy trailer.

I'm not saying everyone who hates this show is being racist - I hate a lot of series for reasons having nothing to do with race - but if you read the reviews you can see a lot of white people see this not as a TV comedy but an act of aggression, seemingly just because they find the title somehow offensive (apparently it is monstrous for black people to call white people white people?). There are reviews here saying that the show is pushing the races further apart by highlighting the racial divide, as though centuries of slavery and Jim Crow that are echoed today in police shootings and demands for the first black president's birth certificate are somehow the result of black people saying too many harsh things to white people. It's a classic case of fauxpression, where people try to portray themselves as victims using the language of the historically oppressed.

The portrayal of white people isn't really even that harsh. They are shown as generally clueless and entitled, but even then, it's basically just a portrayal of ivy league frat boys. I'm white, but I can't see any reason I should personally be upset by a movie mocking dumb, entitled frat boys; a lot of movies by white people have done the same thing.

In spite of the title, this isn't really a series about white people. Whites are seen here only slightly more often than they are in Oprah Network series like Queen Sugar and Greenleaf. This is a series about the black experience (well, the black, ivy league college experience).

Maybe that's what the anger is really about. White people's voices are being ignored in a TV series that has "white people" in the title. But it's okay, angry white people; I think you'll still be able to find one or two TV series that give the white people perspective on things.

And if you're really, really angered by this series, please google "white fragility."
  13. May 23, 2017
    I came into this show expecting it to be complete liberal, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post esk, propaganda piece about how terrible and privileged white people are. But i was pleasantly surprised by the layers that were created for each character. Despite some development flaws and flat acting, the show is actually pretty self-aware on several levels. It not only shows the struggle of an blackI came into this show expecting it to be complete liberal, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post esk, propaganda piece about how terrible and privileged white people are. But i was pleasantly surprised by the layers that were created for each character. Despite some development flaws and flat acting, the show is actually pretty self-aware on several levels. It not only shows the struggle of an black person going to a mainly white college, but the hypocrisy and pressure that the black community puts on itself. The inner conflicts are intriguing and the social relevance is not always spot on but relateable. Expand
  14. May 14, 2017
    Dear white people, all the negativity explains you either didn't get the point of this tv show or you just judged it by the title.
    This show isn't about hating white people, it's about how black people live with the constant struggle ever day of their lives and as you can see, sometimes you can't do anything about it. Because they can get a gun in their face while the white friends just get a warning. This wasn't to hate white people, this was a way of showing why there's wrong and right.
  15. May 7, 2017
    When the film, "Dear White People" didn't live up to all of the hype coming out of Sundance, I was naturally skeptical when I learned that Netflix was going to make a series based on the material. However, after watching all ten episodes of the first season, I've discovered that my skepticism was largely unfounded. Overall, the series succeeds to a much larger degree than the film did inWhen the film, "Dear White People" didn't live up to all of the hype coming out of Sundance, I was naturally skeptical when I learned that Netflix was going to make a series based on the material. However, after watching all ten episodes of the first season, I've discovered that my skepticism was largely unfounded. Overall, the series succeeds to a much larger degree than the film did in its examination of racial politics on a fictional Ivy league campus.

The main weakness of the film was that it didn't go far enough in its examination of the struggles that people of color face in today's racially polarized society. It seemed too eager to let the white majority "off the hook" when it comes to the struggles that black people face in society today. It was as if all of the challenges that black people face today were largely self-inflicted.

What the series does so well, is show many of the "micro aggressions" that black people face on a daily basis. The struggles that black people face today is not so much the result of overt forms of racism, but by random remarks that on the surface seem harmless, but reinforce negative stereotypes.

At the same time, both the film and TV series, show the contradictions expressed by black people in dealing with these micro aggressions. For example, in one episode of the series, a heated debate develops between Reggie (played by Marque Richardson, who also appeared in the film) and one of the white students at a party over the use of the N-word. While Reggie finds it acceptable for a black person to use the word, he is vehemently opposed to a white person using it, even if he is merely reciting the lyrics of a rap song.

For those unaware of the racial politics involved, the narrator of the series (played by Giancarlo Esposito) helps guide the audience into a deeper understanding of what we are seeing on screen. The series also employs a clever device of telling each episode from a different point of view to help give us a better understanding of what is going on in the minds of many of the characters.

In the film, we really only get to know Sam, Lionel and Troy beyond the surface. The rest of the characters fall into convenient stereotypes.

In the series, there's more time to explore the characters with greater depth. As a result, we get to also learn more about Gabe, Coco and the aforementioned Reggie than we did in the film. This results in a much more complete and satisfying experience. For example, Gabe is no longer just the white boyfriend of an outspoken black woman, but a more complex character with contradictions of his own.

This is not to say that the series, "Dear White People" is perfect. Like any series, particularly one dealing with the often taboo subject of race, there are going to be a few missteps, but they are not enough to diminish the overall effectiveness of the work.

Significantly, while the creator Justin Simien is obviously influenced by the likes of Spike Lee (who tackled some of the same issues in "School Daze" and "Do the Right Thing"), he doesn't bring the obvious colorism found in Lee's work. In terms of campus politics, tone and student behavior, one is also reminded of "Heathers" and to a lesser degree, "Animal House."

Overall, Simien has created a provocative, humorous, and meaningful work that will enlighten some and anger others, but is never boring. To get the most out of the series, see it with open eyes, which in this politically and culturally polarized society, is admittedly a very difficult thing to do.
  16. Aug 22, 2017
    dear whita peopla es mejor que todas esas cagadas protagonizadas por blancuchos de mierda cómo ashton kutcher racista de mierda, esta serie es muy bacana y mejor que muchas mierdas como lady gaga en americana horrora historia :*
  17. Oct 8, 2017
    I loved this. I loved the way all the issues and all the characters were explored in a deeper way - with compassion and humour but at the same time not pulling any punches and avoiding stereotypes. I would recommend this to anyone who 1. loves good contemporary drama and 2. is interested in race relations and 3. wants to understand America and its complexities regarding race andI loved this. I loved the way all the issues and all the characters were explored in a deeper way - with compassion and humour but at the same time not pulling any punches and avoiding stereotypes. I would recommend this to anyone who 1. loves good contemporary drama and 2. is interested in race relations and 3. wants to understand America and its complexities regarding race and privilege a bit more. - from an old white lady in Britain. Kudos to Netflix for doing this. Expand
  18. Oct 11, 2017
    This is probably more like an 8 or 9, but there's a lot of negativity coming from people who haven't seen the series. This show is not about white people, as the title would have you think, even though there is an episode that shows a white person's perspective. Those taking the "Dear White People" title negatively haven't watched the show because the show is not about white people or evenThis is probably more like an 8 or 9, but there's a lot of negativity coming from people who haven't seen the series. This show is not about white people, as the title would have you think, even though there is an episode that shows a white person's perspective. Those taking the "Dear White People" title negatively haven't watched the show because the show is not about white people or even a message to white people. While it does deals with heavy issues, it does so without waving a woke badge in your face. It also maintains a humororous tone throughout the entire movie, and there is no black and white morality. Each character has their flaws and strengths, which is the way it should be.

The fact that negative reviewers want to cancel their subscription over a show they haven't watched should be enough of an indication about how reliable those reviews are. If I don't like a show Netflix produces, I just don't watch it.... if you cancel your Netflix subscription because they made this series, you're probably a racist. It's also nowhere near as provocative (or "one-sided") as some of those triggered Trump supporters would have you think.
  19. Jul 3, 2017
    Ignore the haters. This is a compelling show with good, multi-faceted characters that go beyond stereotypes, intriguing and relevant themes ripped from the headlines and clever, Roshamon-like plotting that keeps you riveted.

I didn't care for the movie at all. Couldn't even make it halfway through it, which almost never happens with me. Way too over the top and obvious for my tastes. I only even gave this series a chance because if a strong reco from a guy on the Slash Film podcast. Glad I did. Huge improvement over the movie, though the first 10 minutes or so of the series are kinda rough as well. But wait it out. You will be rewarded. Worth your time. Important, funny, relevant, thought-provoking & human.
  20. Jul 26, 2017
    Forget the tittle, don't read the (user) reviews and just watch it.
    Definitely one of the best new series of the year.
    If you're a millennial, this is for you.
  21. May 20, 2018
    Probably more of an 8 or a 9, but inflating a bit to offset the ridiculous number of idiots who clearly missed the point completely. If you think this show is racist, you should probably keep watching so you can deal with your own racism. Show itself is funny, smart, deeply emotional. It somehow strikes the perfect balance between comedy and drama.
  22. May 30, 2018
    Realistically the show's closer to an 8/10 but I'll put a 10 to counter-balance the amount of clearly biased reviews. You can really tell there's bias with the scores when there's almost no mixed reviews and people are threatening to delete their account because of one show. If the subject matter interests you then definitely watch. It's pretty insightful and there's plenty of interestingRealistically the show's closer to an 8/10 but I'll put a 10 to counter-balance the amount of clearly biased reviews. You can really tell there's bias with the scores when there's almost no mixed reviews and people are threatening to delete their account because of one show. If the subject matter interests you then definitely watch. It's pretty insightful and there's plenty of interesting characters that go through meaningful developments. if not just avoid it instead of leaving a review on something you're clearly going to disagree with. Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2018
    Ever thoughtful, Dear White People provides cutting satire and blunt portrayals of the realities African Americans face. There are plenty of characters who are painted as caricatures, only to become more three-dimensional suddenly in a later episode. The range of different experiences and perspectives that are carefully cultivated is impressive to create a complex world of whereEver thoughtful, Dear White People provides cutting satire and blunt portrayals of the realities African Americans face. There are plenty of characters who are painted as caricatures, only to become more three-dimensional suddenly in a later episode. The range of different experiences and perspectives that are carefully cultivated is impressive to create a complex world of where interracial relations are but one of the social dynamics explored.

While it seems many have reacted negatively to the provocative title (and subsequently written scathing comments, perhaps without having watched so much as one episode), the show pulls no punches, yet does not generally demonize whites or other groups with the exception of those characters whose prejudice or apathy merits it.

I'm looking forward to season 3.
  24. Jan 17, 2019
    Justin Simien is fantastic at using story to dive into the many complicated facets of late 2010s America. The writing is as provocative as the title. The characters are interesting, complex, and important.

It is unfortunate that this show is dragged down by people being offended by what they suppose it to be about. Luckily, this show isn't for them. For the rest of us, we are lucky enough to have this once in a generation artwork from which to enjoy and ponder.
  25. May 15, 2017
    Probably actually around a 8-9 for me but just to balance out some of the negativity here. Solid writing and character depth. The only lull for me was when it focused too much on Sam's personal life, but overall I thought it was really well done and managed to discuss complex issues without being preachy.
  26. May 9, 2018
    Dear White People was still finding its feet in the first season and its conclusion falls a little short of expectations, but its biting commentary and fascinating close-up on American racism is increasingly relevant today and invigorating.
  27. May 4, 2017
    This show is great. Don't pay attention from the triggered racist Trump supporters who gave the show a 0 only based on its title. Dear White People is a well written show with a good social commentary
  28. Jul 27, 2017
    Intense, race specific, but on point. As exhausting as it is to fight the race war and its unfairness, racism is real. It's about time to have a show like this considering how many innocent people have been killed by police and claiming "we thought he/she was a suspect," BASED ON SKIN COLOR. And don't deny it, white privileges is real too. We all have the choice to be aware of the issues,Intense, race specific, but on point. As exhausting as it is to fight the race war and its unfairness, racism is real. It's about time to have a show like this considering how many innocent people have been killed by police and claiming "we thought he/she was a suspect," BASED ON SKIN COLOR. And don't deny it, white privileges is real too. We all have the choice to be aware of the issues, or be completely ignorant. Finally not some Hollywood BS with a white blonde lead character. Netflix original shows have always been a hit-and-miss, but at least they had the guts to film something non-cliche for once. I couldn't stop watching as soon as I started, though I wasn't keen on trying when I first saw it. Expand
  29. Jun 29, 2017
    Dear white people, bet you think this show was about you, huh? This is one of 2017's best series, Simien did a great job talking about racism and problems of extreme activism. All the negative score (from people who don't even have seen the show) just shows how important it is.
  30. May 20, 2017
    Its a great show. Watch before you cancel your membership based on the title. Im betting thats why the user score is low. They havent watched an episode. Maybe you will learn to agree to disagree.
  31. May 11, 2017
    Hands down one of the most hilarious, insightful, challenging, and culturally relevant series on the storytelling landscape today.

Ignore those crying foul and give this series a chance. The movie was fantastic, and the series doubles down in the best possible way.
  32. mvt
    Apr 29, 2017
    This show has earned so many poor reviews from, what I can only assume, were written by people who looked at the title and did nothing further. I, on the other hand, watched all 10 episodes. Dear White People has no racist message. If anything, it seeks to spread a message of anti-racism by giving voice to a group of people whose legitimate concerns are shouted down or ignored. As in realThis show has earned so many poor reviews from, what I can only assume, were written by people who looked at the title and did nothing further. I, on the other hand, watched all 10 episodes. Dear White People has no racist message. If anything, it seeks to spread a message of anti-racism by giving voice to a group of people whose legitimate concerns are shouted down or ignored. As in real life, there are various views within this group alone about how to solve these problems. Part of what makes this show so fascinating is the conflict within this group as they attempt to resolve very real issues they face every day. There is something to admire in nearly every main character. They have relate-able flaws. While this show cannot possibly portray every last viewpoint, there is enough going on that someone like me can learn something about the struggles black men and women face daily. I do wish there had been more laugh-out-loud moments considering this is supposed to be a comedy, and I also wish there was less sex going on. These problems aside, I do not consider my time spent watching the show wasted. I can only hope that people will stop judging this show before giving it a chance. Expand
  33. Apr 29, 2017
    A brancaiada ta nervosa aqui k .
  34. Jun 23, 2017
    amazing this show is everything we need, the actors are extremely good and the overall is just fantastic. Coco is the best one in my opinion, lots of love for her
  35. Jul 19, 2017
    Dear White People is a pretty solid show .
  36. May 5, 2018
    I keep wanting people to be wrong when they talk about white fragility. I mean, I'm a white guy, I don't like being called fragile, and I especially don't like the implication that when a comment about race from a nonwhite person seems harsh or aggressive to me my desire to be defensive is in part the result of my own un-examined privilege. I mean, aren't these all the weasel words ofI keep wanting people to be wrong when they talk about white fragility. I mean, I'm a white guy, I don't like being called fragile, and I especially don't like the implication that when a comment about race from a nonwhite person seems harsh or aggressive to me my desire to be defensive is in part the result of my own un-examined privilege. I mean, aren't these all the weasel words of those crazy college radicals?

Except, OH MY GOD, white snowflakes, you bum me out. This show is great. You don't have to agree with everything every character says to like it. Actually, this show is pretty willing to suggest that none of its characters have everything figured out, and even to suggest that the show itself doesn't have everything figured out. But it's still portraying a perspective that is refreshingly different and honest.

It is ok for people to be different, you guys. Everybody relax.
  37. Jun 16, 2017
    Racists out here really giving it bad reviews just because it exposes their racism, I find it really hypocritical and the fact that people say "let's make dear black people" is racism at it's finest. The show is good, ahead of it's time apparently.
  38. May 18, 2017
    Although Dear White People brings up some stereotype about activism in our times, the series is brilliant in translate the feeling of being black in a society where they are not heard enough in a political basis. I am a white gay man, and i'm aware of my privilege, and the series open up my eyes for causes beyond LGBTQ issues.

Universal acclaim - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Robert Bianco
    May 11, 2017
    well-written, well-directed, and well-acted by an appealing young cast. ... Even for a show that revels in absurdist humor, it can be too glib (as in the reaction to the discovery of a dead student), and a bit too reliant on subsidiary characters who are too clueless and too Clueless. Still, in the end, those are minor quibbles with a show that is as entertaining as it is valuable.
  2. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    May 4, 2017
    DWP does want to be provocative, just not too provocative. Mostly it just wants to keep an open mind and open heart. Mostly, it succeeds.
  3. Reviewed by: Caroline Framke
    Apr 28, 2017
    Dear White People is, in other words, one of the most confident new TV comedies I’ve ever seen--and that confidence is what ends up making it so compelling.