Season #: 3, 2, 1
4.3

1. Jul 17, 2018
    They say Americans love consistency above all else and that could explain the deluge of low scores for season two. Season one was essentially a premium cable rendition of a traditional prime time legal drama - handsome and mostly conventional. Season two is a gonzo journey more reminiscent of Garth Ennis's Preacher comics, Pulp Fiction or even Oliver Stone's U-Turn (which featured ThorntonThey say Americans love consistency above all else and that could explain the deluge of low scores for season two. Season one was essentially a premium cable rendition of a traditional prime time legal drama - handsome and mostly conventional. Season two is a gonzo journey more reminiscent of Garth Ennis's Preacher comics, Pulp Fiction or even Oliver Stone's U-Turn (which featured Thornton as well). I'll say this: William Hurt's Cooperman character would be lost in a sea of eccentric super-villains had he showed up in any of the eight episodes. Things get beautifully wacky.
    Personally, I enjoyed both approaches and it's nice watching the creators push the envelope when they could've simply mailed in a facsimile. Billy Bob is excellent as always. Highly recommended for fans looking for something beyond the limits of traditional legal dramas.
  2. Jul 11, 2018
    Season 2 was great. Twisted, demented, solid, original. Those who hate it below love simple-minded network crap like Law and Order and CSI.

If you want different, outside the box, thought-provoking TV, watch Goliath Season 2. And, Ep7, one of the greatest eps of television EVER.
  3. Jul 20, 2018
    I really enjoyed this season as well as the last season. I had no problem following the plot -- it seems like other folks expected it to follow a similar story arc as season 1 which it does not do.

For me, the writing and performance of the leads really kept me engaged. Billy and Patty area always great, and Tom's character was out of this world.

Can't wait for season 3!
  4. Jun 16, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the great start with season 1, they have lowered their sights and shot themselves in the foot. S2 starts with a great premise. It has a realistic scenario regarding Billy and the money he must have earned from season 1. But as the episodes unfold suspension of disbelief becomes so difficult as to be a chore. The new characters more like villains from some Victorian melodrama or a tele-novella (and I mean the really low budget ones). I have trudged on to the end but only because I am ill at the moment and have nothing better to do. Leave season 2 alone unless you want to become ill. Especially episode 7 (I think the writers just gave drugs to high school kids and asked them to write something-just joking and don't take drugs!)
    I am giving it a 1 because after the first seasons I had great expectations of quality and intelligent writing. Like everyone else, I don't like to be let down.
  5. Jun 17, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am being very generous with my rating here. Keep in mind, I gave season 1 a user score of 9. Season 2 just takes a turn for the worst, a very far and wide turn. Barely any of it takes place in a courtroom, not something you want from a lawyer drama.

The only reason I gave it the score I did is that I feel the core characters and the actors that play them still did a great job, Billy, Patty, Britney. The surrounding cast, on the other hand, was not cast well, and while Tom Wyatt's actor is very hateable, I think better casting could have done wonders for the show, at least to an extent.

Going from a high profile courtroom drama like season 1, which was much more grounded, to a conspiracy filled cartel drama that had no real substance, and in the end the audience is really not given much to cheer on the good guys for, and by the end they are justified in not doing so because once you're done, you're completely dissatisfied with the outcome.

There are certainly some interesting aspects to certain characters, like Wyatt's weird disabled fetish, and the surgeon aspect of Gabriel, but I don't think anything was going to overcome the poor plot and storyline. It shifted focus too many times. First, it was Julio, who became an afterthought because he wasn't able to be saved, then Detective Roman who wasn't able to be saved, then Danny who just killed himself. By the end, you will see they all died for nothing.

I watched this show for Billy Mcbride in the courtroom, taking on high profile billionaires screwing over the little guy, not a cartel conspiracy that includes some romance and very little courtroom drama.

I am hoping they don't give up on the show. Go back to their original formula, with a good story, and they will get me right back, but that may be wishful thinking since many studios cut ties way too quickly these days. We'll see, by the way, it ended I assume they want to continue this storyline, but I feel they would just be better off scrapping it and starting anew with a not plot.

I do not recommend season 2, but I highly recommend you watch season 1.
  6. Jun 23, 2018
    I have a theory about Season 2:

The person who wrote it was up against another project, so he said to his 13 year old son "Here. Can you just write the last 2 episodes for me? Thanks!".

It was really good - then it just dropped off a cliff. I felt like I had wasted a whole lot of time watching it.
  7. Jun 25, 2018
    After ranking Season 1 of "Goliath" as one of the Top 5 streaming series served up on any outlet, I impatiently waited for Season 2 to debut. And then, it did. REALLY? After two years this is the BEST effort they could come up with??

Beginning with Billy Bob Thornton "mailing it in" as if he knew the script stunk, it included token and uninteresting roles for the returning Tania Raymonde (Brittany) and (Patty), along with wasted potential of underdeveloped new character Paul Williams (JT). Not to mention the cameos by Lou Diamond Phillips, Morris Chestnut and Steven Bauer, clearly shoe-horned in to falsely amplify the look of a blockbuster cast.

Season 2 had all the bad guys and bad cops running around in discombobulated and hard to connect, barely flushed out story lines to go along with ridiculous back stories.

At only 8 episodes (down from Season 1's 10), averaging 51 minutes running time (and only 41 minutes for the finale, it was as if the cast's cars were running and they were only interested in wrapping the season picking up their paychecks and getting back to their vacations.

And did I mention Series 2 presented Goliath fans with the WORST, most dissatisfying ending of a series season EVER? More like a letdown of epic proportion.

Shame on you show creator David E. Kelly and executive producer Geyer Kosinski. If this is the kind of crap you're going to put out for Season 3, don't bother wasting your or our time.
  8. Jun 19, 2018
    This season is a piece of trash. The writers have smart people doing incredibly stupid things that no one but a moron would do in real life. A complete waste of time. Plus, Amazon is not allowing anyone to write reviews because they know this thing is trash. If you haven't seen it, don't waste your time.
  9. Jun 24, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quite terrible, but for some reason could not stop watching. It all went seriously downhill from episode 7, reminiscent of the disappointing conclusion of Bloodline.

+1 for the bizarre North by northwest drone scene in the equally bizarre episode 7.
  10. Jun 29, 2018
    After a very good S1 (my rating 8), second season is total embarrassment and waste of time imho. Everything is bad - from script, acting, make up to scene lighting. I struggled to last to the most disappointing end only because I was hoping the final episodes would miraculously award with some deliverance twist, but to no avail. Season 2 is a pretentious epigonic cocktail with traces ofAfter a very good S1 (my rating 8), second season is total embarrassment and waste of time imho. Everything is bad - from script, acting, make up to scene lighting. I struggled to last to the most disappointing end only because I was hoping the final episodes would miraculously award with some deliverance twist, but to no avail. Season 2 is a pretentious epigonic cocktail with traces of tarantino, lynch, a pinch of lars v.t. and not without a saw on the wall. Proud fans of S1, beware, - seriously manage your expectations before watching S2. Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2018
    Very, very dull. Writing is terrible. They must have lost the writers from season one. And the direction is lacklustre, the acting phoned in, the pacing mired in the mud. Amazon really screwed the pooch on this one.
  12. Jun 19, 2018
    After season 1, this is disarmingly disappointing.
    It's a grotesque fusion of "Rockford Files" and "Misery."
    Amazon is so embarrassed by it, they are not allowing reviews of Season 2!
  13. Jun 21, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gosh, what a come-down from season one! If for no other reaswon than every character on the side of the defense seems hell-bent-for-leather on giving up confidential information to everyone they meet in a criminal case: in bars, in beds, in cars, you name it. To lethal effect. You would not do that in a civil case for chrissake! Who wrote this nonsensed? A bunch of 20-somethings with no real lfe experience? And the lead lawyer hikes off to never-never land in the middle of his case? Seaso three will surely lead off with disbarment! Alchohol is not McBride's problem. Idiocy might be. Accompanied by extreme lack of judgment. You could make a credfible show out of the latter, but the producers had no idea how to do that. Only credible acting (sometimes) saves this turkey. Expand
  14. Jul 10, 2018
    Well, I wish I saw all these reviews here and at IMDB before spending a week watching this travesty. Worst season-to-season transition EVER. This second season was poorly conceived, written, and directed. You have to feel bad for the cast, but as bad for us, the audience. I mean, this was so bad, such a waste that I will NOT be a first to watch a season 3, which by merit should not happen.Well, I wish I saw all these reviews here and at IMDB before spending a week watching this travesty. Worst season-to-season transition EVER. This second season was poorly conceived, written, and directed. You have to feel bad for the cast, but as bad for us, the audience. I mean, this was so bad, such a waste that I will NOT be a first to watch a season 3, which by merit should not happen. Similar thing with Westworld season 2, will sit on the sidelines for its season 3 to see what everyone says before investing my time/energy in it. How does the quality of a series drop so precipitously?! So bizarre. Expand
  15. Jun 21, 2018
    This is the kind of garbage you get on over the air tv. Nonsensical tripe!!! So many plot points didn't make any sense at all. If you have ABSOLUTELY nothing else to watch, go ahead and watch but remember, this is 8 hours of your life you will never get back.
  16. Jul 3, 2018
    My wife and I really enjoyed season 1. The plot and characters were complex but the action moved forward accordingly. Season 2 is an absolute mess. There is no logical connection between the various plot points. We are very tolerant of violence, but there is gratuitous violence that is simply beyond the pale. We just didn't buy ANY of it. None of the characters were believable. What aMy wife and I really enjoyed season 1. The plot and characters were complex but the action moved forward accordingly. Season 2 is an absolute mess. There is no logical connection between the various plot points. We are very tolerant of violence, but there is gratuitous violence that is simply beyond the pale. We just didn't buy ANY of it. None of the characters were believable. What a waste of time and talent. Expand
  17. Jul 15, 2018
    What a huge disappointment. I loved the first season and began watching Season 2 with anticipation a week ago. Last night, having gotten through 3 episodes, I stopped after the opening scene and decided to start on a new season of Bosch (dependable as always). Maybe some people like to watch incredibly depraved stuff for entertainment but I find it disgusting. Billy Bob is stillWhat a huge disappointment. I loved the first season and began watching Season 2 with anticipation a week ago. Last night, having gotten through 3 episodes, I stopped after the opening scene and decided to start on a new season of Bosch (dependable as always). Maybe some people like to watch incredibly depraved stuff for entertainment but I find it disgusting. Billy Bob is still great but I’m not going to wade through all the perverted crap to see him. Very sad. Expand
  18. Jul 22, 2018
    After a really good first 4 or 5 episodes, the season starts to go south. In fact, the 7th (penultimate) episode is one of the worst hours of of television I've ever seen. It's as if the director saw a David Lynch production and tried to go for and failed disastrously.
  19. Jul 8, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers here: Awful season. I loved season 1 - couldn't stop watching. I know happy endings are predictable and writers probably really don't want that, but the end of this second season is so so negative I was depressed after watching. How can all the bad guys either die or be punished in horrifying ways, or win and the good guys only "win" by still being alive? This is "life is a **** sandwich and every day you take a bite" attitude. I hope there's a season three since I really like the idea and the characters and the film work but I don't want an evil person to win. Expand
  20. Aug 3, 2018
    I found the writing in season 2 to be superior with a bold shift in tone from the court room dramas of S1 toward the darker cartel conspiracy found here. The excellent cast deliver standout performances in particular from Ana de la Reguera as Marisol, Mark Duplass as Tom Wyatt and especially Lou Diamond Phillips as Oscar Suarez on the first couple episodes.

I can see from the meta

I can see from the meta reviews here some fans on S1 didnt like the switch in tone from courtroom drama to conspiracy/thriller/mafia/action elements on display here but I for one am refreshed David E. Kelley and Jonathan Shapiro didnt simply rehash the same ideas from S1. Episode 7 will go down as one of the best episodes of a tv show I have ever seen. The quality of creative work here is far superior to a run-of-the-mill episodic network show! Highly recommended.
  21. Sep 22, 2018
    First season was nothing groundbreaking but it definitely was entertaining and interesting. This second season is an absolute derailment, boring, slow, pointless and above all enormously uninteresting. Couldn't watch the whole thing but I watched the first two episodes hoping it'd take off but it just began bad and went tremendously worse minute by minute.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Ben Travers
    Jun 15, 2018
    Goliath doesn’t take full advantage of Tom’s depraved habits, but anyone focused on this particular arc should be satisfied with its ending, as well as the season’s.
  2. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jun 12, 2018
    This L.A crime story is satisfying in its confident approach to a familiar genre. The bonus here is its broad streak of offbeat humor om Nilly's laid-back cunning, which contrasts nicely with the brash impatience of his sidekick, Patty. [11 - 24 Jun 2018, p.13]