Season #: 2, 1
8.1

1. Lyn
    May 29, 2019
    The actors are great and Eve's style is superb. But I'm mildly surprised none of the critics noticed the lack of dramatic tension as the story morphed from "I'm outraged by this killer and want to catch her" to "I'm obsessed with this entrancing killer and want to be buddies with her and wow! Maybe become a killer, too!" There's much less tension, fewer thrills as this becomes more of aThe actors are great and Eve's style is superb. But I'm mildly surprised none of the critics noticed the lack of dramatic tension as the story morphed from "I'm outraged by this killer and want to catch her" to "I'm obsessed with this entrancing killer and want to be buddies with her and wow! Maybe become a killer, too!" There's much less tension, fewer thrills as this becomes more of a buddy movie. Expand
  2. May 29, 2019
    Really, being honest, this shouldn't have been made. The PWB authored season one was a spectacular piece of television. This however simply didn't work. Every tension is made flabby and every dynamic, blunt. The writing simply isn't as sharp. The season improves a little towards the end, but there is a hell of a lot of really-not-so-stylised treading of water. A shame.
  3. MWA
    Jul 3, 2019
    My wife hyping season 1 and the buzz in the wider media got me to watch 2 and a bit episodes of season 2. Sorry but this is drivel, sub A level writing that would have been called out I suspect were it not for the fact of its 'innovative' use of female characters in 'traditionally' male roles.
  4. Jun 25, 2019
    Season 1 was one of the best shows I have seen for years, an absolute instant classic. Sadly season 2 has been really baggy and a bit of a mess. Early episodes seemed pretty good, but by the middle it was sagging, with random incidents and a lack of coherent plot. It actually took us weeks to get round to the watching last few episodes, the magic had gone. Hoping it refinds its form.
  5. Apr 7, 2019
    The mystery, suspense, irony, action, and obsessions all make this show worth watching. Not only is this a great action show, it also manages to be absolutely hilarious! Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer give great performances - they are so quirky and make the show stand out!
  6. Apr 8, 2019
    Season 2 of Killing Eve started as great as the first season ended. It's currently my favorite TV show because of the suspense, action and amazing characters played by a great cast!
  7. May 11, 2019
    *** Update 5/10 After suffering through 4 or so episodes of this season I am done with this show, it's ridiculous, lipstick lesbian propaganda, and that's it. it'd be a little bit of alright if the plot was believable, and the characters actions were understandable, but it seems as if you've gotta have a uterus to get it, and I don't, and I'm past trying ****** 1st ep was a bit of a*** Update 5/10 After suffering through 4 or so episodes of this season I am done with this show, it's ridiculous, lipstick lesbian propaganda, and that's it. it'd be a little bit of alright if the plot was believable, and the characters actions were understandable, but it seems as if you've gotta have a uterus to get it, and I don't, and I'm past trying ****** 1st ep was a bit of a bore, yeah we get it women like to overbuy candy, take long soothing baths, and make rash windows purchases when upset & confused, how embarrassing & trite to be portrayed as this stereotype. Jodie Comer is such a standout she eats the screen, and is the only thing worthwhile in this otherwise painful endeavour. Found myself fast forwarding through the parts that obviously were filler, e.g. Eve's husband & everything but Jodie. Expand
  8. Apr 8, 2019
    After 4 intriguing episodes in season 1, this show has revealed itself as a very simplistic cartoonish bore (all the actions of any protagonist are totally unbelievable) . Its success is indeed based on a very basic trick: Daubed in "feminism", its talisman protects it from every negative critic that would be too scared to break the taboo. If the lead characters were men, it would beAfter 4 intriguing episodes in season 1, this show has revealed itself as a very simplistic cartoonish bore (all the actions of any protagonist are totally unbelievable) . Its success is indeed based on a very basic trick: Daubed in "feminism", its talisman protects it from every negative critic that would be too scared to break the taboo. If the lead characters were men, it would be discarded as the non-sense and drivel that it truly is. What American critics hail as dark British humour is just a direct descendant of that second-rate simplistic British materialistic and egocentric nihilistic culture of Hume and Locke.

Episode 1:
    Some of the hospital scenes try to be embarrassingly funny. It doesn't work at all. The "bad girl" languish there for such a long time only to pretend to reveal her "humanity" towards the little boy who thinks he is a monster. Just to expunge a clichéd 3 $ pseudo philosophical line: "we are all not normal". Then, as if self-aware of this mawkish instinct, she kills him. Probably to shock middle-class female audiences, ...who feel so good about themselves when they seem to overcome their instinctive repulsion. This feels like a rather cheap thrill. Also, very hypocritically, It makes us empathise with a psycho-killer just because she is a woman.

Otherwise:
    The score is always this ethereal crappy elektro-music that frame all the useless scenes.
    The Sandra Oh post-crime psychological anguish scenes are both totally chichéd and badly acted: "I need to cook or listen to a hard-sell cold call to get over myself".
    I could go on and on on this rant. If I were a feminist and/or British, I would be embarrassed.
    This is a show you love to hate basically.

PS: The boyfriend of Sandra Oh must have repeated that line 100 times"Can you tell me what's going on?" already.

Wenn du zum Weibe gehst, vergiss die Peitsche nicht! (Nietzsche)
  9. Jun 3, 2019
    This British spy thriller series engages the viewers interest with an absurdist twist on what it means to work for MI6 and what it means to be a professional assassin. Unlike most cold-hearted, dispassionate and detached assassins, Villanelle (Jodie Comer) is also a serial killer at heart. She is a true psychopath who is merciless, ruthless, and bloodthirsty. She kills on contract forThis British spy thriller series engages the viewers interest with an absurdist twist on what it means to work for MI6 and what it means to be a professional assassin. Unlike most cold-hearted, dispassionate and detached assassins, Villanelle (Jodie Comer) is also a serial killer at heart. She is a true psychopath who is merciless, ruthless, and bloodthirsty. She kills on contract for large payments in order to make a living, but she also commits murder in her private life out of vengeance and mere annoyance with individuals who cross her. She is ruthless. When told by Eve Polastri (Sandra Oh), the MI6 agent who has set out to apprehend her, that she is a psychopath, she replies with dead calm and a bemused sense of irony, “I hate that word.”

Villanelle is actually a Russian criminal known as Oksana. She is youthful and blond with large, innocent eyes and a flawless, porcelain complexion. She is flamboyant and loves to wear high fashion, even the most outlandish designer creations that are sure to attract attention. She seduces both men and women, tossing them aside afterward. She is emotionally dead. But mostly she is bored, and her boredom may prove to be lethal for anyone who enters her deluded, insane universe.

Her nemesis is Eve Polastri. The chemistry between these two women is inexplicable and highly improbable. Yet, it’s there. Eve is happily married and dedicated to the search for justice and truth. But she and Villanelle are both outsiders, although for different reasons. Polastri’s ethnic origins are Korean, and she speaks to her mother in Korean. The Polish name is her married name, but she is not Polish, she is not British, and she is not European Caucasian. Like Villanelle, she is an outsider but she is compassionate, responsible, and well-adjusted. Emotionally, she is the polar opposite of this lunatic whom she both hunts and desires. Somehow Villanelle fascinates Eve and begins to draw her in. This bizarre relationship ends in disaster in the last episode of Season 1. Eve stabs Villanelle, who escapes and recovers. The stabbing only serves to intrigue Villanelle, who interprets it as an act of love.

Season 2 brings the two together again in a temporary alliance to seek another criminal monster. This MI6 association with Villanelle, who originally was supposed to be brought to justice, creates a logical disconnect in the plot, and there are more logical disconnects related to the inscrutable Carolyn (Fiona Shaw), who is Eve’s boss. At the end of Season 2, we have a reversal. This time Villanelle leaves Eve lying wounded on the ground; Villanelle shoots Eve.

Although Jodie Comer is a central player of interest, it is Sandra Oh who somehow keeps it all glued together. Their characters’ chemistry should not work but it does, as Eve lives her life in a no-man’s zone filled with a haze of erotic fantasy that is juxtaposed with the mundane activity of married life. Eve is obsessed with Villanelle even as she chops vegetables to prepare dinner for her husband. Eve is not as transparent or as obvious as Villanelle. She is complicated, tortured, and confused. Her various states are reflected by her looks—sometimes she emanates an ethereal beauty that almost glows from within; other times she looks plain, middle-aged, and even a little schlumpy. Villanelle is a heartless criminal, but Eve is the mystery in this story. The background is enhanced by a haunting soundtrack from Unloved—dreamy, surreal strains of longing and unformed, if not dangerous, impulses of the subconscious mind.
  10. May 27, 2019
    Liked this season, though I preferred the first one a little more.

Liked this season, though I preferred the first one a little more.

The show continues it's interesting combination of violence and quirky, dark humor. I admit the first half is better than the second half. The beginning is interesting and exciting as we have the assassin Villanelle (Jodie Comer) injured and on the run, and MI agent Eve (Sandra Oh) dealing with the events of last season. Plus, we spend more time on the frayed relationship with her husband. We also get an elusive new assassin.

But in the second half, we get an antagonist who isn't as interesting, and the whole search for the evil secret organization The Twelve kind of goes out the window. We learn nothing new about the organization or it's goals. Though, I liked this season, I'm afraid of it doing what many anti-hero shows do and just stretch things out so that it gets more and more forced in regards to the criminal given free range.

Be forewarned that there is one scene that is DARK even for this show.

Oh and Comer again deliver fine appearances. Comer brings such life to the humorous, childish, clever, and horrifying Villanelle. Fiona Shaw continues to do a great job as Eve's boss, the clever, calm, and morally inscrutable Carolyn Martens. Owen McDonnell gets to do more as Eve's husband as he becomes more involved with and frustrated with Eve's world.

I wish the second half was stronger, but there are still a lot of little moments that make the show work.
  11. May 17, 2019
    This show is made by Villanelle. Could watch her character forever. One of the best series I’ve ever watched. Very enjoyable.
  12. Jul 16, 2019
    Once again, Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh were sublime. the best couple on tv on the last years.
  13. Jun 2, 2019
    I really liked this series because of the masterpiece of acting by Sandra Oh, I think everyone who wants to watch this series again is about to see what's happening to this character that is changing so slowly but in an insane route!
  14. Aug 15, 2019
    Absolute drivel, rubbish. My wife and I have just finished watching this. Out of 8 episodes in the second series there was approximately 5 minutes worth watching. The first series was great. This was absolute sh*te.

1. Reviewed by: Judy Berman
    Apr 9, 2019
    [Phoebe Waller-Bridge's] handpicked replacement, Call the Midwife star Emerald Fennell, doesn’t seem to grok the characters on quite as profound a level. Happily, Fennell does know how to keep episodes fizzy, fast-paced and binge-friendly.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Fallon
    Apr 8, 2019
    Perfect is a strong word, but Killing Eve is a series that merits those. ... Everything that worked so well in season one is back in essentially the same form, and it’s working again.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Apr 5, 2019
    Because you're never quite sure what she'll do -- and how far she'll go -- the show has a genuine sense of menace, mixed with the disarming humor that comes from Villanelle rolling her eyes and throwing tantrums like a pouty teenager.