• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 24, 2018
3.5

1. Oct 21, 2018
    I seriously don't get what people are smoking when they watch this show I love it yet it gets so many terrible reviews one of the good action series this fall while not the absolute best it still is not as bad as people say it's one of the best of the fall I love magnum
  2. Oct 22, 2018
    Not as rich and mellow and charming as the original, but fun escapist fare. Corny, but I like the rainbow of people. I love the rainbow of people. Like in the real world, not the daydreams of standard issue men in tv power. Hopefully, it will deepen and improve over time. I’m so happy for children of color who get to watch a man of color in a leading role. Growing up, I had to get used toNot as rich and mellow and charming as the original, but fun escapist fare. Corny, but I like the rainbow of people. I love the rainbow of people. Like in the real world, not the daydreams of standard issue men in tv power. Hopefully, it will deepen and improve over time. I’m so happy for children of color who get to watch a man of color in a leading role. Growing up, I had to get used to only white people getting to play the leads and have fun doing that. Time’s up. Everyone should have a chance at having fun and being able to realize their dreams. Expand
  3. Sep 24, 2018
    OMG! This is Magnum PU.

It stinks worse than Pepe Le Pew.

We did not need a Magnum mini me!!

8 inches shorter than the REAL Magnum!! (Height wise....the other ratio is probably much worse [for Jay boy]!)

This show is pure crapola!!
  4. Sep 25, 2018
    Horrible this is hawaii 5 o on steroids .Plot moved way to fast to follow,way to many explosions for belief destroyed 2 cars in 60 minutes. THIS Show will be crap
  5. Oct 2, 2018
    There’s few shows of the 80s that you hear the theme song and instantly recognize the show, locations and characters. One of those is Magnum, P.I. From the rompy disco chords of its theme you knew you were in for adventure with Magnum.

Fast forward to 2018, the reimagining of this show has new cast in the old characters with slight differences. Of course. Higgins is now female, Magnum is Latin. There’s a cliche of sexual chemistry that’s sorts like Tony Danza/Judith Light type from Who’s the Boss? (Please don’t remake). But what really is the miss on this show, which what made the original amazing, is the sexy charm,the campiness of the stories, the voice overs from Selleck were engaging and drew you in.

What the show does well is it’s in Hawaii. Sexy locales and cars. Yup for some this maybe enough. But the acting is plastic and one dimensional. After watching two episodes I’ve deleted from my PVR. The second episode I got distracted by YouTube videos of the original. Hernandez’s portrayal of the iconic character probably was a tall order to live up to. The supporting cast TC and Rick were okay. Of the four, the standout would be Rick, but watching Juliet Higgins as the majordomo of the estate and forced love interest to Magnum was enough to stop and look for a rerun of Seinfeld.

There is something nostalgic of seeing Hillerman’s Higgins at the top of the stairs in Magnum’s apartment wearing a one piece safari suit with belt and the signature cowlick. That’s a character that you can’t replace even if it’s the other gender. Alas, there’s the reruns avaialment on a streaming service. And while the new Magnum is sans moustache in this incarnation, the trend of facial hair is prevalent and it could have been something the producers imposed.

Moustache or not, it’s identifiable as Magnum is Hawaii.
  6. Sep 25, 2018
    The show is full of cliche, it reminds me more of hawai 5.0 than the original Magnum series. I dont think it will get better from here on out. Sad.
  7. Sep 25, 2018
    I've never understood why they think they can 'reboot' any iconic series. They should have done a continuation of the original say with Magnum's son with an original story line. This is just pure laziness and is no comparison to the original. I cancelled recording the series.
  8. Sep 26, 2018
    The star of this reboot is bland and generic and lacks Tom Selleck's charm, beguiling goofiness, and great good looks. And why on earth gender-flip Higgins, just to stuff a "strong woman" (which to simplistic writers can only mean a "kick-ass" woman) into the series? To check off a box on the diversity menu? The Dobermans are the only actors worth watching. Other than them, this showThe star of this reboot is bland and generic and lacks Tom Selleck's charm, beguiling goofiness, and great good looks. And why on earth gender-flip Higgins, just to stuff a "strong woman" (which to simplistic writers can only mean a "kick-ass" woman) into the series? To check off a box on the diversity menu? The Dobermans are the only actors worth watching. Other than them, this show proves that big explosions do NOT a good series make. I only hope Tom Selleck never sees what's been done to his legacy. Shame on you, CBS. Collapse
  9. Sep 25, 2018
    I cant believe how they ruined Magnum P.I. The original is one hundred times better if you are going to remake something dont steer away to much from the original .
  10. Sep 25, 2018
    How on earth did someone get paid to make this rubbish and tarnish the real Magnum PI. The show is beyond pathetic.
  11. Sep 24, 2018
    Very disappointing. Real bummer. I had hope. But there is lack of character and characters. All the writing and dialog is forced. There is no chemistry, it is flat. Ugh
  12. Sep 25, 2018
    They need to check on somethings to make it more real. AS a United States Marine I saw that they have a Staff Sergeant as Chopper pilot. Not happening. has be a Officer to be pilot. Very bad acting by all. Maybe they should have got real actores.
  13. Sep 28, 2018
    Skip this one. The actors can't hold a candle to the original. This reboot is completely lacking in style, wit, and originality. When the plot drags throw in a car crash.
  14. Oct 11, 2018
    Oh man I wish I had said Magnum PU first but it bears repeating nonetheless. This one is totally JABR - Just Another Boring Reboot. I give it a score of 1 only because Higgins is kind of hot.
  15. Oct 8, 2018
    as long as the show stays clean without that LGBT propaganda cram down your throat which has nothing to do with good television. If they keep it clean from what I've seen so far it will be a huge hit!

Magnum is cool, Higgins is really wonderful Rick and TC excellent support. The filming and the wit in the writing is already coming through. I'm talking 10 out of 10 just don't blow it whoever is making the show. Please everybody give it good ratings because television is so dark these days. It's so corrupted please allow the show to make it. That's of course if they don't do anything stupid.

I love the show it must succeed. Were running out of decent television and were sick of it
    so there. Dragon 444 in full support so far
  16. Oct 10, 2018
    Gave it a chance, it sucked. The show has no redeeming qualities. I suggest you skip it.
  17. Oct 2, 2018
    We tried really hard but i fell asleep during the first one, found myself doing other things during the second. It's forced, no chemistry, too pat, just not at all interesting. I'm sure it will go away all by itself.
  18. Nov 26, 2018
    I am really enjoying this show so far. Jay Hernandez gives a stupendous performance that is very funny. The action scenes and special effects are spectacular. The writing and screenplay are great. This is my favorite new drama show of 2018 and one of my favorite new ones of 2018. Can't wait to see the rest of this season and I really hope it gets renewed.
  19. Sep 26, 2018
    Not bad. I thought they should have made an effort to find an actor resembling Tom Selleck but maybe they wanted someone different. I liked that Selleck played Magnum as often doubting his actions. Hernandez is too cock sure! I really hated the Ferraris being trashed! They should have a cross-over of Robin Masters paying for Commissioner Reagan and his Blue Blood' family to vacation inNot bad. I thought they should have made an effort to find an actor resembling Tom Selleck but maybe they wanted someone different. I liked that Selleck played Magnum as often doubting his actions. Hernandez is too cock sure! I really hated the Ferraris being trashed! They should have a cross-over of Robin Masters paying for Commissioner Reagan and his Blue Blood' family to vacation in Hawaii and Magnum helping them with one of their enemies who show up. Reagan & Magnum keep saying "You look familiar but I can't think why!"! I always thought Jim Rockford should have visited Magnum. ;)
    ~ Ay-Wun
  20. Sep 30, 2018
    It’s got splash and fun like any show it takes time for the characters to gel and get comfy.
    It’s sexy and smart. If you are expecting it to be the same your being stupid. Like Hawaii 5-0 it will develop in time.
    Choppers hot cars boats and a sexy Higgins. I loved it...it’s going to do well (if they let it)
  21. Oct 8, 2018
    This show is super trash in my opinion. This show is boring and I mean close your eyes and fall asleep boring. The characters are super boring mainly the surrounding cast. The only interesting character is Higgins. Half the time when they don't know how to keep the plot going they just decide yeah lets blow up a car or lets have a fight scene. I literally lost brain cells watching this show!
  22. Oct 7, 2018
    To be honest, I went into this reboot with very low expectations. I reserved some hope the trailer may not have done it justice. I was wrong, the trailer made it look better than the abysmal train wreck I witnessed. There is no character to these people. The actors are trying to play actors and not actual people. The special effects were a waist. The practical effects from the 1980'sTo be honest, I went into this reboot with very low expectations. I reserved some hope the trailer may not have done it justice. I was wrong, the trailer made it look better than the abysmal train wreck I witnessed. There is no character to these people. The actors are trying to play actors and not actual people. The special effects were a waist. The practical effects from the 1980's original were more realistic than the CG 2018 effects. I am not holding my breath for this to get any better.

There is only one Magnum, P.I. and his name is Tom Selleck.
  23. Oct 29, 2018
    This show could be better if they cut down on the slapstick and get that very annoying blond character either off or change her demeanor. I fast forward when’re she come on the scene. Nice actress, needs changes.
  24. Oct 16, 2018
    So this is the new edition of Magnum p. I
    On the one hand there are many connections with the original series but most of it is new.
    There are two beautiful cars but they are destroyed. Did that have to be? Then the cast. Average as you look. Are you serious? The stories are all flat and only on action. That was not as bad at the original as here. Who wants to watch this series should
    So this is the new edition of Magnum p. I
    There are two beautiful cars but they are destroyed. Did that have to be?
    Then the cast. Average as you look. Are you serious?
    Who wants to watch this series should hide the original and put the head on thread.
  25. Nov 28, 2018
    Adequate scripts and characters. The action and the acting are just good enough to keep me engaged for an entire episode. As is, this show will likely run a few seasons. If they can develop the characters more and improve on the adequate scripts, this is one revival that might deserve to have a 5+ year run of its own.
  26. Nov 20, 2018
    I suspend disbelief when I watch television so I pretty easily started judging this show on it's own merits. Frankly I like it and it's a LOT better than a bunch of junk that gets pumped out of the networks these days. If you can divorce yourself from the original show and just watch it on it's own I think you'll enjoy it
  27. Nov 25, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tom Selleck will always by Thomas Magnum but this show went off the rails by casting Higgins as a female because eventually man/woman thing will dominate the show, They would have done better to cast a white guy since one thing about the old show was Rick and Thomas were too white guys living in a brown world. I watched about 1/2 of the first show and simply could not stomach anymore. Expand
  28. Dec 4, 2018
    1980s Magnum PI (Tom Selleck et al) I watched it, took a while to objectively grow on me, excellent.
    Keep the Glass Half Full Folks !!
  29. Dec 5, 2018
    one can't bring back a show that such as success. Them guys flashing back to Nam. Lost interest in first episode, haven't watch since.
  30. Jan 15, 2019
    This could be a terrific TV program on its own. The attempt to remake Magnum PI over is a miserable failure and keeps bringing one back to the realization that these are not the same characters as the original at all. Worse, the program doesn't even attempt to try and create a relationship between the old and new. This is simply the program as a shadow of its former self. The young SelleckThis could be a terrific TV program on its own. The attempt to remake Magnum PI over is a miserable failure and keeps bringing one back to the realization that these are not the same characters as the original at all. Worse, the program doesn't even attempt to try and create a relationship between the old and new. This is simply the program as a shadow of its former self. The young Selleck is irreplaceable so why try? Couldn't he have had a son, nephew, anything but another guy trying to fit into the same pair of shoes? They've tried to keep everything the same but the house and the characters have morphed into entirely different entities. I wish the creators had done a better job. Expand
  31. Jan 16, 2019
    I look forward to this show every week. It is definitely different from 80s, but, that's ok. Just mindless story lines with likeable characters, no agenda being crammed down my throat for once. I like the additional flashbacks to military days. Love Perdita Weeks' personality, hair style, and quite fit. Maybe this should be the Higgin's show.. :)

1. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Oct 9, 2018
    In the new reboot (with Jay Hernandez in the title role, and without that starchy appositive comma in the title), Magnum is a generic, chill dude with an aggro streak. ... The series is ungainly in its rush to get Magnum and Higgins together as a fondly squabbling couple, and it’s uncertain whether the stars share the chemistry to sell a Benedick-and-Beatrice routine, but they sail through the fight scenes just fine.
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Sep 25, 2018
    It’s fine, escapist fare but lacking in much imagination.
  3. Reviewed by: Melanie McFarland
    Sep 24, 2018
    As long as you can forget about what you loved deeply about the original and accept that the new series only shares names in common, you’ll enjoy the ride it’s offering.