• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 22, 2017
5.3

1. Oct 8, 2017
    A clever internet age anime parody. Jaden and Tavi's deadpan deliveries are great. Music is excellent. Good to see Netflix taking a risk on this.

Fair warning, if you aren't extremely familiar with anime, internet culture, and pop culture cross breeding, this may not be the show for you.
  2. Sep 29, 2017
    Best show I have ever seen. The depth of the characters is greater than anything I have seen a show before. The story is god tier. Charles is god. Communism is the only true way.
  3. Sep 27, 2017
    Neo Yokio is a brilliant, unexpected gem - mostly relying on its very subtle sense of humour and exquisitely weird combination of elements (exorcism?fashion?toblerone?communism?). Loved it because it felt genuinely surreal and over the top without the need to rub it in the viewer's face. Definitely a grower, not a shower. Highly reccommended!
  4. Oct 1, 2017
    Largely a skewering of high-society life, "Neo Yokio" provides a wide range of satire and an overall general sense of weirdness that is delightfully charming. It's ability to not take itself too seriously allows for plenty of moments of off-the-wall humor. A lot of which is presented with a straight-face leading to a very deadpan style that makes it's more questionable moments all the moreLargely a skewering of high-society life, "Neo Yokio" provides a wide range of satire and an overall general sense of weirdness that is delightfully charming. It's ability to not take itself too seriously allows for plenty of moments of off-the-wall humor. A lot of which is presented with a straight-face leading to a very deadpan style that makes it's more questionable moments all the more hilarious.

Where the show struggles most is with it's animation and storytelling. The art style is fine, but there are times where the quality of it is the same of that as a filler arc in series like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach among others. As far as the plotting goes, the show is mostly just about spending time with main character Kaz. This allows the sense of humor and strange nature of the series to shine, but there are moments where the events themselves aren't as interesting as the characters themselves. Especially since the lore is underexplained, the side-characters are a bit underdeveloped, and Kaz's job as a demon hunter feels like an afterthought.

The main reason I enjoyed the show outside of it's sense of humor would have to be how much I grew to enjoy the characters. Particularly Kaz Kaan. Everything about him is so ironic and Jaden Smith's voice acting and his cute appearance make him unbelievably charming even if he is the butt of the joke. The character's dialog feels like it was ripped straight from Jaden Smith's Twitter page. It's like the writers are making fun of Jaden and he just didn't pick up on it before signing on. Or perhaps he did know and didn't mind (in which case, kudos to him). Either way he fits the character perfectly. Same for the rest of the cast who I hope are given more to do should the series catch on.

Neo Yokio is certainly an odd duck. Yet, it's an absolute swan in the form of entertainment for the right audience. If you like you're anime with a slice of ridiculous, self-aware, and satirical humor then this is for you. There are some elements that don't come together all that well and the show certainly isn't for everyone, but there's the making of at least a cult-classic here. I, for one, hope it catches on as I wouldn't mind a return trip to Neo Yokio to spend more time with Kaz and the gang in the near future.
  5. Oct 9, 2017
    Weird communist propaganda with cheesy animation and terrible dialogue. Feels like if you take every livejournal, tumblr, and deviant art and mashed them all together to create a cartoon.
  6. Sep 26, 2017
    It's a decent anime with potential the jokes are fairly good usually especially with Arcangelo. I felt the anime focus a bit too much on Kaz's clothing and personal life at times and less on the action of his job as an exorcist. Besides that i like this anime and i think they need to push it further. it's enjoyable but doesn't do anything outstanding more like unique.
  7. Oct 6, 2017
    It seems like this show is a hit or miss for many people, but I personally really enjoyed the show. It's super easy to binge watch if that's what you are up for because the episodes are 20 minutes each. I really liked all of the characters and the feel of the show. Something about it was really enjoyable for me.
  8. Sep 24, 2017
    The perfect mix of Boondocks and Anime. This anime does require the right mind set, but if you can adjust your standards it will surprise you and become better than the sum of its parts. Hilarious, imaginative, and a little bit touching. I had fun with this anime, simple surprising fun
  9. Sep 25, 2017
    Neo Yokio suffers severely from Netflix's usual inattention to its animated series. The animation is of unreasonably poor quality and a ridiculously low framerate. The voice acting is terrible and flat. And the cherry on top of it all? The main character is an insufferable, petty, upperclass sadboy who's unsatisfied with his life because he's only the second most eligible bachelor in NeoNeo Yokio suffers severely from Netflix's usual inattention to its animated series. The animation is of unreasonably poor quality and a ridiculously low framerate. The voice acting is terrible and flat. And the cherry on top of it all? The main character is an insufferable, petty, upperclass sadboy who's unsatisfied with his life because he's only the second most eligible bachelor in Neo Yokio (as indicated by the Bachelor Ranking Board in the middle of the city) and his girlfriend left him to go live somewhere else. You'd be better off watching One Piece fan animations because it would take a miracle to fix this pile of **** Expand
  10. Sep 25, 2017
    Had such a blast watching this, especially Gottliebs (Desus Nice) and Lexys (The Kid Mero) character dynamic. Even though it mocks Anime with its style, it is not Anime. It's more akin to something like The Boondocks, and the voice acting is impeccable and hilarious at the same time. Already hate weeaboos for downvoting this for something it was never advertised to be, it's clear that youHad such a blast watching this, especially Gottliebs (Desus Nice) and Lexys (The Kid Mero) character dynamic. Even though it mocks Anime with its style, it is not Anime. It's more akin to something like The Boondocks, and the voice acting is impeccable and hilarious at the same time. Already hate weeaboos for downvoting this for something it was never advertised to be, it's clear that you either get it or you don't. Much like the finer things in life, which are often pearls cast before swine, case in point here, although brilliantly satirized and also gradually more questioned by Kaz with each episode. You herb. Expand
  11. Sep 27, 2017
    "Neo Yokio" is boring, stupid piece of garbage without any plot or character development, but it's biggest flaw is humour, which is not funny at all, but certainly irritating thanks to Jaden Smith.
  12. Sep 29, 2017
    This show was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it’s still bad. The animation is terrible, it can sometimes be funny, but not because the jokes are clever, and it tries to do too many things at once exorcism, mechs, socioeconomic issues? No character in the show has any depth, I hardly know the backstory of any of the characters and worst of all its cringy to watch.
    And the fact
    And the fact that Jaiden Smith of all people made this show… the irony
  13. Oct 25, 2017
    Lol what is even this series?!
    The dialog is so funny/weird and there are so many odd one-liners.
    This series seems pretty unique and I am really enjoying it!
    It's just... weird. But in a good way!
  14. Jun 20, 2018
    A great mix of downright silly satirical humor and somewhat serious social commentary with actual plot progression and character growth between episodes. Paced differently than other shows out there which is jarring at first, captivating later.
  15. Dec 8, 2017
    The worst anime I've had the displeasure of watching. It's a stale, convoluted mess of stupid ideas, poor animation, and half baked character development.
  16. Nov 20, 2018
    It is a pointless show about arrogant pretentious aristocrats and their superficial adventures. There is nothing of substance here. The show fails to be anything. This show tries to be a drama, satire, or comedy, but fails to succeeds at being any of those categories .
  17. May 7, 2018
    All jokes aside the shows dog **** the animations passionate but needs work, the story is horrid, the characters are unlikable **** and I had a migraine after three episodes, I wanted to like this, I went in with an open mind never hearing anything about this show but this show single handed-ly makes me question if I should go into shows blind anymore. Oh and the dialogue, **** me, theAll jokes aside the shows dog **** the animations passionate but needs work, the story is horrid, the characters are unlikable **** and I had a migraine after three episodes, I wanted to like this, I went in with an open mind never hearing anything about this show but this show single handed-ly makes me question if I should go into shows blind anymore. Oh and the dialogue, **** me, the dialogue. With all that said this show does have a charm and I do hope that if they make a season 2 it succeeds where season one fails because I want a show like this to succeed, it’s unique, the side characters like his best friends and the butler are more interesting than kaz himself, the main ****ing character... actually I wouldn’t mind if they just killed him off and made his best friends and butler the main characters. With all that said, it seems like on episode 5 they finally got their act together and made a good anime, kaz was still an absolute idiot but he was actually starting to try to not be a prick, but Helena is the most annoying character I have ever seen honestly and the ending took me back to migraine town, i really want this show to be good, it has potential, so I’m praying season 2 will be more like episode 5 and 6 and less like *shudders* 1-3 Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2018
    I have never actively hated a show. I think every show has some redeeming qualities: SAO, as bad as the characters are, the world building is fine and it's animated well. Berserk 3D: The animation and story are both horrible but at least the compositing is ok and the lighting looks good.

This show is atrocious. Who yells at an old man about perfume while he grieves in front of his wife's tombstone? The animation is terrible, I bet they didn't even have a director of photography. I don't think they did ANY storyboarding, the art is worse than Christopher Hart, and this vampire weekend guy should just stick to making music. Please never make a show again, and someone needs to say no to Jaden Smith once in a while. Just go on the streets and be like "no, Jaden, no"
  19. Dec 16, 2018
    I think this is a new take on American comedy, not an awful Netflix anime. If you look at it from the perspective of an anime you'll think it's garbage, but if you aren't a total weeb then it will be a pleasant experience.

1. Reviewed by: Miles Surrey
    Sep 22, 2017
    Without enough character development, Neo Yokio is luxuriating in its own capitalist satire by repeatedly focusing on the lavish excess afforded to Kaz and his peers.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Sep 21, 2017
    While simultaneously showing warmth to the genre, but ends up not being as weird and loopy as one might hope for.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Greene
    Sep 21, 2017
    Whether interest for the series will exist outside of those who share that same innate institutional knowledge remains to be seen. But as a visual playground and an assembly of colorful compatriots, Neo Yokio carries its own singular delights. No robot butler required, but it’s the kind of show that’ll make you wish you had one.