Season #: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
9.0

1. JPK
    Jul 9, 2019
    Absolutely Perfect Ending
    Samurai Jack Season 5 is violent, beautiful, emotional, and an all out masterpiece.
  2. Jan 3, 2019
    This show has a unique type of art and animation like I'v never seen before. It has a lovable story with deeper meanings everywhere. It has to most creative characters I'v seen in a show. And as a student whose very interested in psychology, meditation, history, and so forth. I am putting this show as my number one. Not to mention the fantastic music it has had in each and every episode.This show has a unique type of art and animation like I'v never seen before. It has a lovable story with deeper meanings everywhere. It has to most creative characters I'v seen in a show. And as a student whose very interested in psychology, meditation, history, and so forth. I am putting this show as my number one. Not to mention the fantastic music it has had in each and every episode. Along with badass scenes everywhere. The show has kept me on the edge of my seat multiple times making me my blood pumping and heart race. Samurai Jack is perfectly balanced with calmness, poetry, joy...and with despair, suffering, losing oneself, blood. Just a all round great show that I will remember forever. Expand
  3. Apr 10, 2018
    Superb, action-packed, emotional ending to one of the best animated series of all time. Genndy Tartakovsky is a genius, his work here strikes an amazing balance between timelessness and propulsive fun (and tbh some fairly dark moments too). Well worth the wait, and heartwarming to see this fantastic series get such a well-deserved send-off.
  4. Mar 2, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan of the first four seasons I was thrilled they finally came back to finish the saga, and the first few episodes didn't disappoint. But then it slowly went downhill, culminating in one of the most disappointing endings to a series I've ever seen. Spoilers follow:

I didn't mind the Ashi romance as much as others, but Jack's instant reversion back to his former self made the whole 50 year span seem like a waste of time. Then he gets to the Guardian (met back in episode 32), only to find out he's been killed and the time portal destroyed. What?!? If you want to do that, don't foreshadow in that episode that Jack will come back and use the time passage once he's ready! I, like many others, was waiting for the hero's journey payoff that never came. At the very least we could SEE Aku destroy the Guardian to give a sense of dread, but no....

Then we have Aku taking control of Ashi, and rather than trying to disarm her, incapacitate her, kill Aku to free her, or even escape to come up with a plan, the "There must be a way" Samurai Jack... gives up............

And in the final episode Aku televises how he is about to kill Samurai Jack, and somehow everyone Jack saved 50 years ago are still alive, they know exactly where Aku's castle is even though he was constantly moving it in earlier seasons so Jack couldn't find him, AND they are ALL within a 5 minutes' walk, flight, or good jump away from said castle and get there immediately.

As if that wasn't hard enough to believe, Jack is freed but instead of Aku attacking the one person he's feared these past 50 years he goes after the insects that LITERALLY cannot harm him. Yes....Aku could try to reach the sword before Jack can, or simply kill Jack, but we're expected to believe that's secondary to mowing down weaklings who pose no threat whatsoever.

But the ridiculousness still isn't over. After a WAY too long gag from the dead Scotsman (seriously why was he even in this season if he couldn't do anything worthwhile?) we have Ashi deus ex machina her way free from Aku's grasp because Jack says “I love you” and she now has all of Aku's powers magically and time travels them exactly to both the location and moment they need to go first try with no prior knowledge to this.

And because the finale is so rushed we have no epic showdown, no last battle for these two opposing forces of good and evil that the entire series has built to. Nope. Even the kids' made up story version of the climactic finish at season one's end would have been better!!

Then we have the moment where Ashi and Jack are about to get married but Ashi suddenly realizes she can't exist because Aku never created her.... so she disappears. This is equivalent to looney tunes characters running perfectly fine across the sky and not falling until they notice they aren't standing on anything. Samurai Jack is much too serious a show for this nonsense--if she can't exist in this timeline, she needs to disappear as soon as Aku is vanquished. It could even be great storytelling for Jack to have realized this would happen but chooses to kill Aku anyway and save trillions over his own happiness. But no, we got the garbage.

Let's not forget the time discrepancies with Jack's parents. Seriously watch the very first episode again. Watch how OLD they are and yet, when Jack comes back to this same exact time, they have regressed to their age when he was a child. Continuity is dropped completely.

Again, the first three episodes were great (and the only reason my score isn't a 0), but everything else was a dumpster fire and I would have rather had no ending at all than what we got.
  5. Jan 8, 2018
    An incredible end to an amazing show. It's crazy how they were able to combine both the kid friendly tone of the old show while obviously making it much darker.
  6. Aug 24, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half of Samurai Jack's belated final season was simply brilliant. Having it on Adult Swim allowed the show to take a darker and bleaker approach to its story and titular character. After fifty years, Jack is a more cynical, damaged and troubled man. That's great development, and we see Jack struggling to adapt a more positive attitude when he tries to make Ashi understand the discrepancies between her worldview and the reality.

In its second half, however, we lose all of this development and changes. The complexity of Jack and Ashi's relationship was reduced to a typical romantic relationship. Jack simply reverts back to the same person that he was before this season started. Its nuanced themes are similarly reduced to a black-and-white linear tale of a righteous man trying to take down a great evil.

Finally, the finale. The resolution of the story had Jack return to his own time after he vanquished Aku and prevented the future. Again, very disappointingly vanilla. Instead of having a story and character who move on, the series decided to revert everything back to what it used to be.

Despite its disappointing story, Samurai Jack boasts strong animation throughout. I wish we had gotten a more complicated story.
  7. Aug 22, 2017
    Amazing!........... I was excited to watch episode ... Jack is back to make this show amazing one. I decided to watch this season ...........................
    ...............
    ............
    .............
  8. Aug 17, 2017
    With an epic ending that transmits us tenderness, this series says goodbye to us with its multiple winks to the past seasons.
    New allies, new enemies
    This time Samurai Jack has managed to bring us back to the past where we enjoy his first deliveries and has taught us in this last season how ephemeral his adventure has been.
    Thanks to the past Samurai Jack.
  9. Jul 14, 2017
    Samurai Jack was revived. What a joy. And it was awesome. At first...

The first 3 episodes are amazing. I was mesmerised and excited. The next ones are mediocre all going towards horrible in the end. The series had a very slow pace that felt like dragging. 2 episodes are fillers and the others have 0 plot and after all this nothing, it still feels like everything was rushed. A paradox.
    Samurai Jack was revived. What a joy. And it was awesome. At first...

All this is because they focused on the wrong side of the story and tried the melancholy train, nobody was asking for. Too bad, it could've been a masterpiece. It still is as a whole concept, but it won't got down in history as one, since the new generation that will watch it will have a bitter taste at the end after seasons 4 that was itself a story drag since for some reasons they refused to wrap the story there
  10. Jul 13, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the darker tone of season 5. The visuals and the music was excellent. Given the 10 episode and 21 minute format I think the writers did an excellent job. So not sure why some reviewers complained that it was rushed.
    Spoilers ahead: some reviewers felt that episode 8 was bad. In this episode Ashi and Jack falls in love, which is the main reason Jack was able to defeat Aku. Episode 10 was fantastic. Ghost Scotsman and other allies working together should excite any Samurai Jack fans. Some complained about the fight. Aku was already defeated in the past. All Jack had to do was go back and strike the final blow. SMH at the people expecting a long fight. On of the reviews stated that Ashi should have disappeared immediately. Not necessarily. Aku's death created a time paradox, however, time travel is fictional at this point. There are no fictional guidelines for when Ashi should've died.
  11. Jun 23, 2017
    This Season Of This Show, Truly Is One Of The Best Seasons Of All, It Has Updated Graphs, A Highly Intense And Mature Tone,I Give It A 9 Because Of The Long Awaited Return Of Jack
  12. Jun 19, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Heartbreaking ending. Tara Strong as Ashi does stellar voice acting. I could not hold back my tears in the end. Thus samurai Jacks adventure was concluded and they've done justice to the series at long last. Expand
  13. Jun 11, 2017
    Samurai Jack is a cartoon published by adult swim.
    I never grew up with samurai Jack but I kept hearing people saying how good it was, so I watched the first four episodes of the first season (which I really enjoyed) and I finally decided to watch this season and it was good.
    Samurai Jack is a cartoon published by adult swim.
    The story was good, it showed a more vulnerable and desperate Jack just trying to survive, you really feel sorry for him. The first 5 episodes were amazing, I got so invested in the story and the characters and I was impatient to watch a new episode once a week...

But after these 5 episodes the show goes downhill and I was becoming more and more disappointed and it had a REALLY rushed finale.
    I mean there is some good things in the last 5 episodes, Jack and Ashi were really likable, the animation was still good and it has great fight scenes but the second half of the show was really rushed, it felt like a budget problem or adult swim didn't want them to give them more than 10 episodes so they just rushed everything and that last episode wasn't good at all, it was really underwhelming...

It's sad because these first 5 episodes were so amazing, I want to give this show a higher score but I can't, it gives you a really bad last impression, I still recommend it especially if you are a samurai Jack fan, I just wish they had more time to flesh out the story and not rush it.
  14. May 30, 2017
    Samurai Jack has been in hiatus for thirteen years and now, it came back with a vengeance. Since the show first aired on Cartoon Network, I used to remembered how awesome that show was when I was a kid, but now that I'm an adult, the show's tone became more dark and serious compared to other seasons from the last decade. Thanks to [adult swim], I can now finally see what was Jack up toSamurai Jack has been in hiatus for thirteen years and now, it came back with a vengeance. Since the show first aired on Cartoon Network, I used to remembered how awesome that show was when I was a kid, but now that I'm an adult, the show's tone became more dark and serious compared to other seasons from the last decade. Thanks to [adult swim], I can now finally see what was Jack up to after thirteen years. In this final installment of this beautiful show, we're introduced to a brand new Samurai Jack. This Jack is damaged, hopeless, and imprisoned for fifty years looking for ways to bring his old life back on track, but in the process, he still got it. The revival of this show became more dark and mature than I expected after watching this season. Speaking of more mature, it still recaptures the optimism that the show had when it first aired on Cartoon Network. The humor is still active for this final season. Since the show's on [adult swim], there are moments that made me laugh off-guard when it comes to innuendos and dark humor applied in this season. Also, the show introduced a wide range of brand new characters in the mix after waiting for thirteen years. These new characters for this season were the most interesting aspects that made this season more memorable and enjoyable to watch compared to previous seasons. And last but not least, the presentation of this show is still mesmerizing than I imagined. The art style is beautiful, the direction by Genndy Tartakovsky is still well artificially directed, the music is still orgasmic, the voice acting by the main cast is still outstanding, and the atmosphere of this show is refreshing that I remembered. Everything about this final season was perfect but not as perfect I can imagined when it is missing two important things after bingewatching this final season, but it doesn't affect the show's reputation. Overall, despite of the two small hiccups that this final season had, it still recaptures the harmony that this show had by paying tribute to these familiar characters that I loved or hate. And it ended with a very satisfying conclusion. Thank you Genndy Tartakovksy for reviving this show. Expand
  15. May 25, 2017
    Episode 1: JACK IS BAAAACK!
    Episode 2: YEAAAAHHHH!
    Episode 3: WOOT WOOT! Episode 4: BOOOYAH! Episode 5: Eh, ah, meh? Episode 6: A little anticlimactic. Episode 7: What the *****? What happened to--Where did--- Why didn't--- ah, maybe the next will be better. Episode 8: NOOOOOOOOO! STOP THE FANSERVICE! THIS ISN'T AN ANIME! THIS ISN'T JACK! Episode 9: Should I even be watching this
    Episode 1: JACK IS BAAAACK!
    Episode 2: YEAAAAHHHH!
    Episode 3: WOOT WOOT!
    Episode 4: BOOOYAH!
    Episode 5: Eh, ah, meh?
    Episode 6: A little anticlimactic.
    Episode 9: Should I even be watching this anymore?
    Episode 10: That's the end? Really? This is what I waited all these years for? Ugh.
  16. May 21, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the first 4 seasons were fantastic....the serie finale on the other hand was rushed to fill and compete a 10ep 22 min time slot. what started of good a intro to samurai jack for season 5 with the intro of a weathered jack still fighting the good except without his sword which i not on him anymore as he is more gun inclined. and the introduction to the first 3 sub bosses, aku and secondary protagonist character the latter whom i'll get into. but im going to talk about the last 6 episodes and why this season is anything more than a 6.

at the start of ep5 we get the only real look at the scottsman for 3mins before he is killed and gone from the season until the end, more on that later .when jack shows ashi the truth of the world she was raised for years to believe was true she within a day or two has no original doubts of jack intent to "lie" to her cause...it was the last 5 mins of the show

ep6- jack leaves to go with the omen who was portrayed a imaginary as jack internal demons is shown to be true...go figure. so ashi quest for majority of the episode trying to find jack. its a recap episode until the 17 min mark where she finds jack and the now physical ghost of honor. where jack is getting ready to commit seppuku where she has a quick battle with the ghost while convincing jack his life still has meaning...for you geussed it the last 5 mins of the show

ep7 has them looking for jacks sword in the desert looking for brian where it shows jack last instance with his sword that disappeared because hes not worthy of it. so he meditates for most of the episode with no real plot moving conflict....until you guessed it the last 5 mins of the show ashi fight her mom and jack say im not a quitter THE END

episode 8- filler set up for the added character love interest (ashi) to show them flirting with each other. by the end of the episode they embrace each other....you know where this is headed

episode 9- a day later has aku forcibly turn ashi back against him since she is his child. and she cant control herself cause aku is literally one with her. jack unable to kill her, forfeits

episode 10- 15 mins of recap. then they scottsman and all of jack friends deus machina the tower where jack is captured. jack tell ashi he loves her...cause "love conquers all" and ashi break free of akus total dominance over her. then she NOW HAS FULL MASTERY OF ALL OF AKUS POWER as ther is less than YOU GUESSED it 5 mins left in the show. they go back to the past where jack is flung into the future and defeat aku in 3 swings or less no epic final fight.

note ashi is from the future aku has created meaning if aku dies she dies along with him and his timeline she was created. but she lives....okay. so A LOT OF TIME HAS PASSED SINCE AKUS DEFEAT. ashi and jack are prepared to be married when......ASHI REALIZES SHE CANT EXIST IN THIS TIMELINE....GTFOH and she vaporizes for the sad ending plot twist;

But if felt hollow as there was no context for which the viewer can grasp to let our guard down to let the impact hit us the hardest of jack finding happiness and having it taken away. Unless nostalgia is the all you live by and are taken for a ride by anything that has "my childhood" attached to it

this was a piece of my childhood i have shown countless times to kids who have never seen the show. who were not born during this show initial run as i have the entire series on dvd. but this was a sloppy series finally that for me should not have happened. there was not character developemtn beyond episode 4 and the ending that was supposed to be a tear jerker fell flat (unless you live by nostalgia)

its like having a vacuum taken by a neighbor. who after 10 years say " remember that vacuumer i took from you...i going to get you a new one"

to which you reply " hey thanks. but i kind of moved on from carpets i have all wood floors. but okay"

so they get you that new vacuum they had to put together and present it to you. but its missing a hose, the intake is clogged. and the wheel is missing.

you look at them with an uneasy smile searching for words and say " hey thanks....er umm you didn't have to but okay...i guess" as you close the door and put it in the closet of thing you will never use again
  17. May 21, 2017
    what can i say i wait several years for this, i wasn't even expecting this series to come back, since cartoon network don't give a damn anymore for memorable series, this is a great comeback, jack is back !!

edit: such a sad ending, i couldn't believe it, is hard but it had to be this way :'( 10/10 one of the greatest series of all times
  18. May 21, 2017
    From an amazing breath taking beginning to a slow decline in quality do to a clearly rushed 10 episode schedule. The series finale hits with not only ending on a massive down note with no morals, no message, and a massive plot hole, but it all happened so incredibly fast it what was good about it was so finite it left me feeling betrayed.

If there is one thing I wish to happen is for

If there is one thing I wish to happen is for this entire series to be sucked from my memory, I wasted my time with a series that seemed from the start to be something special.
  19. May 18, 2017
    Samurai Jack was one of the best cartoons of the 2000s for good reason: quality over quantity. The artwork, the fight scenes and Jack himself are all testaments to how a show should be made for children. Through the first four seasons, there have been very amazing episodes made that have still stood the test of time in the modern age of cartoons. The issue was ending the series on a goodSamurai Jack was one of the best cartoons of the 2000s for good reason: quality over quantity. The artwork, the fight scenes and Jack himself are all testaments to how a show should be made for children. Through the first four seasons, there have been very amazing episodes made that have still stood the test of time in the modern age of cartoons. The issue was ending the series on a good note or just ending at all. With the final season four episode airing in 2004, the over a decade wait has been lifted, and Jack IS BACK.

Season 5 (as of episode 9 of the 10 episode season) is the best season by far of the five. The artwork fully shines in HD formatting that shows Genndy Tartakovsky is a genius with his composition and style. Not one episode is weak, or even just "good"; they all have a flow and brilliance to them that makes them great in their own right. We have come to learn Jack as a man who has went on a 50 year journey, saving countless lives under Aku's rule and surviving in the future that he has longed to leave since we had watched him in 2001. The framework of the season is one story told in chapters, but in a lightening pace.

Some might call Samurai Jack "too fast" to watch, but the reasoning behind this is really Genndy wanting the show to be action first and step away from the crutch of filler, exposition dumps and overload of dialogue that so many shows nowadays use to keep people engrossed. For Season 5, the upgrade to a more mature and darker side of the humble samurai is welcoming if not completely perfect for those who watched SJ as kids now grown up and matured as well. You rarely see a show get a re-air, let alone a show that is over a decade old, but Season 5 of Samurai Jack is a testament to fans and love of the creator that want closure for such a well-crafted hero.

The final episode now awaits. The end of the series and the end of everything fans have been waiting for over 15 years has come. Once watched, a new review will be uploaded. Currently however, Season 5 of Samurai Jack deserves critical acclaim for its art style, pacing, action and Jack and Ashi's characters. A wonderful return that will continue to be one of my favorite cartoons of all time.
  20. May 10, 2017
    Amazing Visuals , Great Story , Realism , Wonderful Art Style. A flashing Gem just like the original series
    The new Samurai is not anymore for kids and face mature themes straight forward but is still has an enjoyable atmosphere.

Edit: Episode 8 ruinned everything , don't watch it , it's an insult for the original series.
  21. Apr 20, 2017
    Gennedy has managed to the one thing that I have seen only once before, Create a new series that exceeded and realised everyones wishes and hopes in Samurai Jack Season 5. Only the Avatar Ang/korra series has achieved this to such good effect and I dare say this Season of Samurai betters that. The story telling is incredible. Episode 2 alone needs to win every award going for reach theGennedy has managed to the one thing that I have seen only once before, Create a new series that exceeded and realised everyones wishes and hopes in Samurai Jack Season 5. Only the Avatar Ang/korra series has achieved this to such good effect and I dare say this Season of Samurai betters that. The story telling is incredible. Episode 2 alone needs to win every award going for reach the pinnacle of animation , sound, visual and atmosphere cranked to 11. This is without doubt a landmark series and it hurts already knowing that it has to end. Every reviewer below who gave it full marks is spot on.
    The use of modern tech but yet somehow melding it with the original style is flawless. Its the mature and excellent story telling which takes above and beyond other animations. I have to re-iterate and I really hope I can say it for others too that the show has delivered on everything fans wanted. The fact that the original series did not even have a story arc and yet still feels completely and fully integral to the new series is genius.
    Watch it all. Gennedy is a gifted man.
  22. Apr 18, 2017
    The samurai we all know and love has returned and is a lot better than it use to be! The soundtrack, animation, and action has been kicked up to max and this show is just fantastic! The art style is thankfully the same and the story is a lot deeper than it used to be! This is a season to remember! Lets hope jack gets a good ending!
  23. Apr 9, 2017
    Dark, violent and as far from from the original as can be. Still has the same pacing and similar art style. I for one wish Samurai Jack was like this from the start. An absolutely perfect way to end the story of Samurai Jack.
  24. Mar 28, 2017
    Genndy Tartakovsky is the one who is back and this show is amazing three episodes in and this show is already one of my favorites and I think it will be in the top ten [AS] originals.
  25. Mar 26, 2017
    I was always a fan of the original series, but this continuation of the story surely achieves masterpiece status. It's better than planet earth and game of thrones combined.
  26. Mar 19, 2017
    13 years of waiting ... did not pass in vain. Fully charged with intrigue, drive and emotion, this cartoon could exceed all the expectations required for this time. Perhaps, the fifth season has absorbed all the best from the main idea of the cartoon and multiplied it at times. Last and wonderful, thank you, Mr. Tartakovsky.
  27. Mar 16, 2017
    Watched every episode, if you want to teach your child morality, honor, integrity. Let them watch this! Strange plots but very educative. Definitely recommend
  28. Mar 15, 2017
    After admittedly writing a godawful review for this beautiful continuation of a cult classic animation, I decided to give it another shot and really try and capture my feelings about the show.

Jack is BACK!!!, after 13 years, he's finally back. Back from the past. Samurai Jack!!!! Yet, this is a different Jack, time has slowly warped him, changed him, much like us, the audience. He is

He is tried, beaten and confused. Lost in a world of utter chaos and terror. *funnily enough so are we, a world a of absolute terrine and oppression through the evil powers that rule us *cough* Trump *Cough*

a Grueling 50 years have passed since we last left Jack and time has not being so humbling to our modest Samurai. He is completely and utterly broken, mentally and physically, as we see him struggle to cope and find his way, loosing sight of hope. Jack, is on his last set of legs, mentally crippled, this could be his last chance to truly conquer and defeat the evil Aku.

I Absolutely adored this first episode of Samurai jack. The art style is absolutely stunning. The creators have managed to keep what was absolutely breathtaking and visually mesmerizing from the old and built upon it to create an enriching visual experience. And the change from Cartoon Network to Adult swim is a welcoming addition adding much Maturity, whilst still keeping the natural flow and progression and central core of the show. The shift in tone feels natural and welcoming, as the audience has grown so has Jack.

I cannot wait to see where the show progresses in terms of plot and theme's. Everything was visually stunning and from a narrative point-of-view flawless.

My only real gripes with this introductory episode was really a certain character being introduced as a, sort of, comic relef for the darker elements of the plot. Also the short run time was awfully underwhelm. I would have loved to have seen at least 1 hours worth of content released instead of 30minutes. I felt as if it would have kept with the way in which the show originally aired as a 2 -3 hour movie.

Regardless Samurai Jack is Back, and I can't wait to see what direction the crew take this truly humbling Character.
  29. Mar 14, 2017
    This great visuals, the amazing sequences, the storyline and the promise of an awesome season, couldn't see a better return for Samurai Jack even in my wildest dramas
  30. Mar 12, 2017
    JACK IS BACK!

Same art style, improved by a lot, 16:9 aspect ratio, crystal clear graphics, classic sound effects minimal amount of dialogues. More brutal, more mature, but that Samurai Jack who we loved as a child!
  31. Mar 11, 2017
    After a short 13 year break, Jack returns better than ever. The show clearly seeks a more mature audience than its original run, and the art and animation continues to be stellar. I'm more than excited to finally see how the story of Samurai Jack concludes.
  32. Mar 11, 2017
    "Samurai Jack" - is amazing story about the samurai who was called: "Jack". I am really happy that they saved a same art style and improved it. Finally, after 13 years of waiting, we'll find out how Jack's story will be ended.
  33. Mar 11, 2017
    The show is back in all it's glory, same amazing art style and action sequences, just with a more mature (original viewers) audience in mind. Genndy Tartakovsky proves once again why he is the best.
  34. Mar 11, 2017
    JACK IS BACK, and he is more amazing then ever. It was worth waiting over a decade to see this, that is how amazing it is. The more violent and mature theme of this show, just works well.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 10, 2017
    Everything glows. One hopes for a happy ending, of course, but what matters most is shape and color, the abstraction of rain on stone, the sun through the trees. It makes Samurai Jack endlessly rewatchable: Every picture tells a story.
    Genndy Tartakovsky is the world’s greatest living action filmmaker, and Samurai Jack, which starts its fifth and final season on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim March 11, is the most aesthetically daring series on TV. Amazingly, both statements were true back in 2004, the last time Samurai Jack aired new episodes.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Mar 9, 2017
    Samurai Jack wasn’t a property I’d been dreaming of ever seeing again, but it’s emerged from its trip through time and space far better than most of the recent TV revivals.