• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: May 17, 2020
5.1

1. May 19, 2020
    The 2020 video series Snowpiercer is of the steampunk genre like the original 2013 movie. So, there is that retrofuturism that seems to be widely appealing - but, the series and the movie have different plots.

I am writing about episode 1 of season 1. I found it interesting that animation was used as an introduction to the series. I think we are seeing animation used more frequently

I am writing about episode 1 of season 1.

I found it interesting that animation was used as an introduction to the series. I think we are seeing animation used more frequently to keep projects on budget.

There was some very good acting. I can't list them all - but, I especially enjoyed:
    Jennifer Connelly as the "Voice of the Train"
    Mickney Sumner a brakeman (later a hostage)
    Alison Wright another brakeman
    Iddo Goldberg a train engineer?

The train is obviously a metaphor and (to me) an interesting plot device.

The technical aspects of the series are of very good quality. Perhaps the editing was somewhat too fast paced - but, I can understand how there was a lot to cover in the first episode.

I will be watching the second episode.
    I anticipate that this will be enjoyable entertainment if you like to think about things.
  2. May 18, 2020
    A lot better than people are going to give it credit for.

Yes the premise is incredibly stupid on multiple levels. But the performances do a good job at making it easy to suspend disbelief and enjoy the development of the plot threats.

Definitely worth watching for a few more episodes to get a better feel if this is something to follow or not.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    May 26, 2020
    Could the show be launching a slyly subversive attack on planned economies? I thought about that for a moment, then went back to wondering what they do with all the poop. But with a smile.
  2. Reviewed by: Lucy Mangan
    May 26, 2020
    Snowpiercer the series manages, gloriously, to bypass all that is great and almost all that is good about both of its sources of material, and turn it instead into a police procedural that just happens to be set on the aforementioned giant armoured train.
  3. Reviewed by: Ed Cumming
    May 22, 2020
    I suspect your enjoyment of Snowpiercer the TV show will depend on how much you like the core idea. You could make the case that this is grim, silly dystopian sci-fi, a comic-book idea that got out of hand. I think it’s a fabulous premise, realised here with less anger than in the film, but equal wit and imagination and the same clarity of setting.