• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: May 29, 2020
5.8

Watch Now

1. Jun 1, 2020
    Some of the weakest joke writing in years - not Mrs. Brown's Boy bad but just plain lazy and lame, like they thought they did not need to try given the quality of the cast.
  2. May 31, 2020
    Painfully unfunny and a complete waste of potential. Might get better with a season 2 but highly unlikely due to just how utterly incompetent the writing staff seems to be at landing a joke.
  3. Jun 4, 2020
    A show so wrapped up in the current zeitgeist it forgets to aim past mediocrity. The humor is a touch too familiar and the premise is barely utilized for comedic effect.
  4. Jun 4, 2020
    It’s just bad and i was rooting for Greg Daniels and Steve Carell. However, the show just never deliver jokes.
  5. Jun 4, 2020
    "Space Force" lifts off shakily. While the character development is poor, the direction the show is taking unclear, the pacing is discordant, and the humour is hit-or-miss, the series is still relatively funny, has plenty of sweet moments, lots of talent, and lays the groundwork for a more promising second season.
  6. Jun 8, 2020
    To be honest, I only watched the first episode and had absolutely no reason to continue watching, it was hard enough to get through the first episode. It’s supposed to be funny I guess, but this is not my kind of humour. I never watched The Office, so cannot tell whether that show was funnier than this. All actors, except for John Malkovich, do a rather lame job on this show. If it isTo be honest, I only watched the first episode and had absolutely no reason to continue watching, it was hard enough to get through the first episode. It’s supposed to be funny I guess, but this is not my kind of humour. I never watched The Office, so cannot tell whether that show was funnier than this. All actors, except for John Malkovich, do a rather lame job on this show. If it is supposed to make fun of Trump’s idea of a “space force”, it fails. The reality coming out of the White House is so sad and full of absurdities - and the show is not funny enough to be a parody of some sort, nor is it a good enough drama to tell a decent story with characters that fell real. What interested me the most was to find out which university campus they had used for the location shooting. A Google search provided the answer quickly. But beyond that I have no further interest in this show. Expand
  7. Jun 6, 2020
    - Largely toothless, mediocre jokes
    - Good performances from actors who deserve better scripts
    - Tired, predictable tugs at heart strings

It's alright if you just want to turn your brain off and smile occasionally as you fall asleep. Not worth a close watch.
  8. Jul 27, 2020
    Wow. This show is terrible. Somehow, my low expectations were destroyed and a new terrible was established. A lot of this new Netflix content is garbage. Might cancel actually.
  9. Jun 7, 2020
    I love so many elements of this production (most of the actors, the premise, the blend of sci-fi and comedy...) but the writing was so so terrible that I got actually upset by the end of it. Save yourself sometime and don’t bother with this show.
  10. Jul 6, 2020
    Not even Carell could save it. The writers came off as pretty lazy and they seem unable to relate to anyone outside their social bubble.
  11. May 31, 2020
    WOOF. What a stinker. The humor is really mean spirited, and just not fun. Steve Carell is doing a really effected accent that comes of disingenuous and makes the character really hard to find charming or believable. Satire is really hard to pull off for an entire season of a show; Space Force doesn't pull it off at all, not even once during the whole season. It's like all the SNL sketchesWOOF. What a stinker. The humor is really mean spirited, and just not fun. Steve Carell is doing a really effected accent that comes of disingenuous and makes the character really hard to find charming or believable. Satire is really hard to pull off for an entire season of a show; Space Force doesn't pull it off at all, not even once during the whole season. It's like all the SNL sketches that didn't make it past the first table read all wrapped up in the veneer of "modern political satire." Do not waste your time. Expand
  12. May 29, 2020
    A truly intelllectually bankrupt comedy, great actors all around but abysmal writing and non-existent humor plus a snattering of "desperately trying to be poignant" moments that are completely inane and meaningless. If you like Steve Carell, just watch The Office again.
  13. May 29, 2020
    An utterly toothless gonorrhea ridden paean to conformism. This sitcom is all that is wrong with modern "comedy".
  14. Jun 2, 2020
    It's painfully obvious that this show was solely based and build around funny title and hilarious current political situation. There is not much more to it. The biggest let down is a lack of interesting plot, character development or story-telling. Most jokes rely on Naird being incompetent idiot which in all fairness Carell does very well and we know that. There was some attempt to giveIt's painfully obvious that this show was solely based and build around funny title and hilarious current political situation. There is not much more to it. The biggest let down is a lack of interesting plot, character development or story-telling. Most jokes rely on Naird being incompetent idiot which in all fairness Carell does very well and we know that. There was some attempt to give the main character more traits- like Naird being obsessive and pedantic as a result of being in military- but most of it is just forgotten and abandoned in favour of Carell playing a generic moron. My favourite part of this series is John Malkovich...He kind of plays a role of himself/audience/'normal' person who watches all the mayhem happening with a raised eyebrow. Malkovich is one of those actors who could read out potato salad recipe and you would not look away, he lends the whole show a bit of gravitas...My hope is that if this show gets another season they will have more time to spend on writing Expand
  15. May 29, 2020
    I was expecting comedic gold like the office. What a let down, the political humor gets very stale.
  16. May 30, 2020
    Not a single laugh or smile in the first episode, almost 40 minutes of boring tv with no memorable parts. A massive miss and waste of money for Netflix.
  17. May 30, 2020
    Oh boy, I wished the critic were wrong again. But we've got another Netflix lazy turd / Hollywood actors money grab. This is Veep x The Office WITHOUT the jokes. CRINGE AF as young people say.
  18. Jun 3, 2020
    Space force was a mixed bag overall with weaker episodes like the pilot and final episode countered with some of the stronger episodes like save epsilon 6 and lunar habitat. The concept of the show seemed somewhat vague a first but as the season progressed things improve for the most part.

This sci-fi dramedy/sit com enjoys a notable effects and production budget (not unlike the space force programme itself lol) with an excellent cast. It looked great in 4k HDR and passed the time nicely so I would recommend it overall. Hopefully if it gets a season 2 we will see a stronger foot forward off the bat. I get the feeling the future of this show will stem from the writing team investing more effort into the ancillary characters.
  19. Jun 9, 2020
    Amazingly bad. I really wanted it to be funny but could only make it through two and a half episodes before turning it off, with Malkovich's character being the only one to get a chuckle. It wasn't just the bad writing or the targeted political satire which may have landed well depending on your political views. The butt of the joke for this series was America itself, specifically inAmazingly bad. I really wanted it to be funny but could only make it through two and a half episodes before turning it off, with Malkovich's character being the only one to get a chuckle. It wasn't just the bad writing or the targeted political satire which may have landed well depending on your political views. The butt of the joke for this series was America itself, specifically in reference to China and Russia. Ironic, considering the US launched its own manned flight to the space station, the first such flight in nearly a decade, at nearly the same time the series dropped.

Politically speaking, Space Force reminds me a bit of Robert DeNiro's 18 month role on Saturday Night Live, playing Robert Mueller. There was definitely an audience for it, but absent political cheer leading, it was largely unfunny and the joke ultimately proved to be the series itself.

Perhaps the one bright spot of the series is this: With the US now on it's way to Mars after the previous administration shut down our Space Shuttle program, this series will be a lot funnier in hindsight than it is today.
  20. May 30, 2020
    I really wanted to like this show, and I watched every episode. It's just not good though. The cast is great, the acting worse, and the writing is terrible. There were occasional moments that were humorous, but most jokes fell flat. Steve Carell's character is a lot like Michael Scott from The Office, but more competent. The premise of "Michael Scott like character heads a bloated spaceI really wanted to like this show, and I watched every episode. It's just not good though. The cast is great, the acting worse, and the writing is terrible. There were occasional moments that were humorous, but most jokes fell flat. Steve Carell's character is a lot like Michael Scott from The Office, but more competent. The premise of "Michael Scott like character heads a bloated space agency and the bureaucratic red tape and hijinks that ensue" is actually a great idea, but the execution was just bad. Overall, Space Force is not the worst bingeable time-waster that Netflix has produced, and it does get better as it progresses, but I can promise you that you won't be satisfied with where the plot goes by the last episode. Expand
  21. May 31, 2020
    The first episode features, among many other blunders, a prison rape joke. A lame joke about a bad secretary is repeated ad nauseam. A few episodes later we get this gem: "I hope you like potatoes" "I'm not much of a potato man myself. I prefer my starch in my collars." The joke comes moments before an obvious poop gag that lacks any comedic timing. These are just a few examples. ListingThe first episode features, among many other blunders, a prison rape joke. A lame joke about a bad secretary is repeated ad nauseam. A few episodes later we get this gem: "I hope you like potatoes" "I'm not much of a potato man myself. I prefer my starch in my collars." The joke comes moments before an obvious poop gag that lacks any comedic timing. These are just a few examples. Listing all the bad jokes would require far more than than 5000 characters. I cannot think of a single funny joke or gag from Space Force. Expand
  22. Jun 9, 2020
    So, there is a scene at the end of the first episode, that has the commander sitting with the chief scientist and the scientist saying something like, "wow, you dont know about science yet you knew more than us scientist"

Exactly what we need, people thinking that they can do better than scientist who have put there whole lives into studying something and some moron comes chugging along saying I can do better than you.
  23. Jun 1, 2020
    Love the sass from Malory, clever and punchy comments. Definitely enjoying watching this.
  24. May 30, 2020
    Yet another show that has trashed by the critics and loved by the audiences. Reminds me The Orville in that respect, and humour tone is similar with that too. Show also has a political satire, albeit kinda subtle, aims both left and right. That may have affected some critics as well, since not everybody mature enough to take a joke against their political stand.

Acting is substantial as

Acting is substantial as you can expect this top notch cast and characters are lovable. Heartwarming moments of the show may come as cheesy but I really like them too.

Nevermind the critics, give it a chance. I'm pretty sure that if The Office has released today's world, most of the critics would slam that too. Can't wait for season 2.
  25. May 29, 2020
    Superb comedy with a great cast ... better than any other current American comedy but in that sense the style of humour may be more appreciated in UK/Nordic countries (i.e. my origin).
  26. May 30, 2020
    Its called space force....some of you expected what exactly? 10/10 what was expected
  27. May 31, 2020
    The show is rather good despite the complaints. Tbh, most people are review bombing the show because it pokes fun at an annoying leader and makes a mockery out of the whole thing.
  28. Jun 2, 2020
    The series was slow to start and suffered 3 bland and unfunny initial episodes. It seemed as if the writers had no idea what kind of show they wanted Space Force to be, as it ricocheted between broad comedy and overly saccharine sincerity. However, Space Force found its footing in episode 4 and positioned itself as a dramedy, and made their characters more consistent. The show then tookThe series was slow to start and suffered 3 bland and unfunny initial episodes. It seemed as if the writers had no idea what kind of show they wanted Space Force to be, as it ricocheted between broad comedy and overly saccharine sincerity. However, Space Force found its footing in episode 4 and positioned itself as a dramedy, and made their characters more consistent. The show then took off from there. The latter half of the season was beautifully done, with a lot of heartfelt moments that were earned and with a lot of chuckles and laughs sprinkled throughout.

Steve Carell and John Malkovich carried the show and their relationship is one of the brighter moments. Having Steve Carell in the lead role ensures that both the comedy and drama are done well, and he rises to the challenge. Malkovich is the perfect foil to Carell. The supporting cast is fantastic as well, with Lisa Kudrow and Don Lake as standouts.

Space Force is not at all like its creators' previous baby (The Office), the humour is considerably more understated and more dry. That said, it has a lot of heart and the real draw of the show lies in its characters and their dynamics. After being disappointed with the first three episode, the show redeemed itself by the end and I'm now looking forward to more of Space Force!
  29. May 30, 2020
    Great show, absolutely love the military humor and the surprising anime reference. It's not what I expected but I still love the show and its cast. Steve Carell is great and I cant wait for the next season and will be very upset if there is not one.
  30. May 31, 2020
    Space Force on Netflix is loosely based on the U.S.' new space arm of the military. In this show, newly promoted four-star general Mark Naird (The Office's Steve Carrell) is put in charge of the branch. He faces several hiccups to put it lightly trying to get the Space Force off the ground. I really enjoyed this.

The show is both funny and creative. There are so many good lines. The

The show is both funny and creative. There are so many good lines. The second episode is a work of creative genius. A lot of interesting material is born from the military's relationship with politics, the military industry, and foreign relations/competition.

Though a comedy, the show has a strong backbone for the story and the characters. Naird may at times be a comically bufoonish, stubborn fellow, but you do end up feeling for him as he tackles many a personal struggle and emphasize with his well-meaning convictions. The finale is surprisingly dramatic for a comedy.

The cast is great all-around. Carrell and Jonh Malkovish (as chief scientist Dr. Adrian Mallory) are a comedy duo I never thought we needed, but we definitely did. Malkovich gets the least number of jokes, but he works because he is a perfect straight man to act off of Carrell. Naird and Mallory are the perfect odd couple who both conflict with and compliment each other.

The title of funniest character goes to Ben Schwartz as F. Tony the Space Force's PR guy. Schwartz brings the self-destructively loudmouth energy he had as Jean-Ralphio in Parks and Rec. He isn't usually the main focus of the episodes, but every line he is given is golden. Schwartz is also the best physical comedian of the bunch. Kudos should also be given to Don Lake as Naird's right hand, the simplistically well-meaning General Brad Gregory.

This show has a surprisingly strong budget. All the space-related stuff looks nice. I particularly like wherever it is they chose to film the Space Force base.

Several professional critics were surprisingly hard on this. I'm not seeing that. I highly recommend this.
  31. May 30, 2020
    Cool new series with lots of charm and a great cast! Don't expect "the office" and it's going to be great!
  32. May 29, 2020
    i'm enjoying the heck out of this show. Steve Carell doing what he does best. I hope it goes on for at least three seasons because i think the characters are great and i want to see where this goes.
  33. May 31, 2020
    We enjoyed it,. Had quite a few laughs in the mid season episodes. We aren't much for binge watching but before we knew it we were on the last episode so that says something to us about it.
  34. Jun 1, 2020
    I am not sure I understand the criticism. Loved the show as a Veteran, I thought it was great. I would love to have a Season 2.
  35. May 31, 2020
    It seems to me that many people are upset that it brings a certain 'leader' under some scrutiny, at least every bad review I've read from a candid take essentially mentions that. Space Force is all around funny and enjoyable, it may not be the best on Netflix, but it does have charm and a "this is so ridiculous but I could see it actually happening" and I think that's why people are upset;It seems to me that many people are upset that it brings a certain 'leader' under some scrutiny, at least every bad review I've read from a candid take essentially mentions that. Space Force is all around funny and enjoyable, it may not be the best on Netflix, but it does have charm and a "this is so ridiculous but I could see it actually happening" and I think that's why people are upset; it is a mockery of something and it seems very in the realm of possibility. The only people who hate this show are snowflakes who think Tim Allen's Last Man Standing is the funniest sh*t on TV. Cringe. Expand
  36. Jun 1, 2020
    Beginning to the end a great show but it demand so much knowledge and real life experience. Many of the audience cant get it.
  37. Jul 29, 2020
    Ignore the zeros; they come from people who don't like political satire. The show is funny and relaxing, with good acting, directing and production. It has the potential for a much better second season.
  38. Jun 2, 2020
    Show is better than some give it credit for. The political humor is just that but you'd swear by some of the reviews on here(@Riddlebox2003 calling people snowflakes(the irony)). it was just a massive dump on the president of the united states and gave it 10 while immediately "insulting" those who just didn't like the show.
  39. Jun 14, 2020
    The first season of the Office wasn't hilarious - it became hilarious as you got to know the characters. I felt that this was a dramedy that favored character development and did a good job at that aspect. The meta situations were quite funny to me.
  40. Jun 23, 2020
    Funny , Charming , Silly , it does exactly what iut says on the tin - some decent character development , a tortured soul in Carell just trying to do his best with the hopeless task in front of him- well worth a watch if you also like Greg daniels programs
  41. Jun 7, 2020
    I was expecting Steve Carrell, space and silly comedy.
    I got Steve Carrell, space and silly comedy.
    Exactly what I expected, not disappointed at all.
  42. Jun 5, 2020
    I have not laughed this hard at a new TV show in years. It is gut-busting, throw your head back and laugh, miss what they were saying because you're laughing so hard. It comes at you from out of left field. RIP Fred Willard.
  43. May 31, 2020
    I thought it was funny but had moment of sincerity. John Malkovich was a perfect casting and I love his relationship with Stever Carrell. Plus I love how each episode isnt an hour long. It was just extended and pumped full of filler for the sake of it. I hope there is a second season.
  44. Jun 17, 2020
    I know this show is corny and dumb, but it still has made me laugh many times.
  45. Jun 13, 2020
    This is a show worthy of watching in spite of the name of the show. Some of the best writing to come along in a while. A second season has to be done. It's an idea that starts of as absurd then becomes increasingly viable with it's premise. It's a much watch show.
  46. Aug 3, 2020
    So why would I waste my time watching a silly series like Space Force?
    It has John Malkovich in a prominent role. And John Malkovich makes this show worth watching.
    There is a scene where Malkovich's character is outed in an embarrassing way - and Malkovich nails it with an incredible performance. I'm guessing that there are individuals who like Steve Carell's humor - so, they'll want
    So why would I waste my time watching a silly series like Space Force?

I'm guessing that there are individuals who like Steve Carell's humor - so, they'll want to watch this series. Watching Carell and Malkovich play off each other makes this series worth watching.

I like stand-up comedy - but, I've never rated a comedy series higher than 8 (which was probably Seinfeld) - so, take my rating with that in mind. So, maybe if I was more into this type of humor I would have rated it a 7.

Why have sooo many people written a critique of this series? That must say something about it.

I had to come back and add a couple of things.
    First, the acting - across the board - is actually not bad.
    And, I feel compelled to mention that Jimmy O. Yang as Dr. Chan Kaifang (Dr. Mallory's lead assistant) was pretty good and aligned with my sense of humor.

And, oh... yes - the political subtext of the series...
    So, anyone who keeps up with US current events is probably aware of the background of the US Space Force. And, obviously individuals can get sensitive about such things. There was commentary on US politics which was observant - regardless of your particular political thinking (if you have any).
  47. Sep 4, 2021
    It seems to me that all these negative reviews come from people who only watched one or two episodes. Space Force grew on me within a day of binge-watching. It's not quite on the same level as other workplace comedies like The Office, Parks & Rec or Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but close enough. The humour is often safe and not very challenging, which is largely due to the necessity of plausabilityIt seems to me that all these negative reviews come from people who only watched one or two episodes. Space Force grew on me within a day of binge-watching. It's not quite on the same level as other workplace comedies like The Office, Parks & Rec or Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but close enough. The humour is often safe and not very challenging, which is largely due to the necessity of plausability and realism. General Naird cannot be as funny as Michael Scott, because he is a real four-star general. He can be obnoxious and self-important, but never at the same amount as his Office-Pendant. Malkovich is wonderful though, I wish he would do more comedy. The rest of the cast is good, but not outstanding. The daughter in particular is completely superfluent and only serves as an identification figure for a young female audience. But there were some really fresh and original ideas that made me enjoy the show, and I'm looking forward to the second season. Expand
  48. Jun 28, 2020
    This is really entertaining show to watch, don't get all this negative reviews.
    It do have some Office vibe tho.
  49. Jun 30, 2020
    Despite all star cast... stars and supporting cast uneven writing and weak plot lines...some which drag then dead end... big dissappointment for all invoved . critics here and on rotten tomatoes have it right
  50. Dec 27, 2020
    Funny, but far too nice about the evils of the Trump administration. John Malkovich’s character is great.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 40 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Charles Barfield
    Oct 5, 2020
    “Space Force” tries to be a satire that doesn’t upset anyone—relying on a collection of lame jokes that wouldn’t make it in an ‘SNL’ skit—and forces in unnecessary subplots that go nowhere and derail the series’ minimal comedic momentum.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Aug 14, 2020
    A lot of humor ends up left behind and most of it stops short. This is a show that cuts with a butter knife instead of a razor blade. And it cuts every which way instead of one direction. The result is, not surprisingly, a mess.
  3. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Jul 7, 2020
    Space Force doesn’t have quite enough story for its first 10 episodes—though these days, that’s par for the course for the first season of a streaming show. What the series does have, in spades, is a much more ineffable quality: tone.