• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 23, 2021
6.6

1. Feb 24, 2021
    The first episode feels more like a movie than a TV show with well directed cinematics, capturing much of what made Man of Steel great without suffering from its flaws. It focuses more on the family drama than the cookie cutter action of the other CW shows and it's all the better for it.

I just hope the show continues this style of heart felt drama, and pray it doesn't degrade into the TV Sitcom-esque feel of shows like Flash and Supergirl.
  2. Feb 26, 2021
    I just watched the first episode and the feeling is hard to describe. The music, acting and cinematography made me feel... nostalgic for something that has yet to happen, if that makes sense.

Performances by Hoechlin and Tulloch were good, as expected. Less expected but extremely welcome were the performances of Jordan Elass and, especially, Alex Garfin. I feel we are all accustomed (and kind of tired) of the stereotypical "angsty teen" characterisation, but I believe these teens have something... different. I will hold further judgement until I see more of the show.

The setup is a fresh and the different telling of the story of Superman, is actually a welcome change. I feel the same way I felt coming out of Spiderman: Homecoming, thanking I didn't have to watch Uncle Ben die yet again. I believe this new (to TV) storyline will no doubt bring us interesting and engaging conflicts and ideas that will make for a different kind of experience.

Finally, I'd like to praise the cinematography and special effects, which were incredibly good, especially considering how much I hate some other special effects by other CW shows such as Supergirl which has, in my opinion, the worst of all. Let's thank the good people at HBO for helping out with the budget.
    And of course, Dan Romer's soundtrack left me breathless. While I still believe that nothing tops John Williams' "The Planet Krypton" and the Superman Theme, the music was a highlight for this overall great start to this new series.

I hope the quality is maintained throughout the show's run, and that we get many, many seasons of quality TV.
  3. Feb 25, 2021
    Wow and fantastic!!! This is such a well done show and they captured a new generation Superman and Lois and brought the past into the future. It is like watching the first movie of a series that needs to keep going and growing. Well done CW and you have another winner on your hands! BRAVO!!!
  4. Feb 24, 2021
  5. Feb 25, 2021
    Essentially FLAWLESS. But more important is that Berlanti has FINALLY learned to make a self contained pilot. Instead of needing 3 or so episodes (THE FLASH), 7 or so episodes (SUPERGIRL) or 11 or episodes (BATWOMAN) to complete a pilot. Or like LEGENDS.. which was legendary because at Season 3 they still hadn't completed a pilot.
  6. Mar 3, 2021
    At first I saw the guy and I thought ... that's no Superman, but then it all started to click and by the end of the episode I was hooked. This was way better than expected.
  7. Feb 24, 2021
    Superb story, cast and visual effects. The pilot already exceeded my expectations. I'm very interested to see what happens next in this show!
  8. Mar 4, 2021
    The show on another level. I do love the flash but this show targets a more Mature audience.there are no stupid Jokes. Clark is a normal father and lois is a normal mother. There are much less clichés than in the rest of the arrowverse.

It looks more like a drama that may turn Even darker than Titans.

The direction and budget seems yo be far better than the res of the AV
  9. Feb 27, 2021
    The story is obviously good, but if it's another land. then it will be a shame. I do not want. I want everything to happen in one place.
  10. Mar 7, 2021
    Excellent production, great score, interesting story and solid performances. This show leaves the rest of the Arrowverse in the dust. Now the CW just needs to start canceling them, they're just not good.
  11. Apr 14, 2021
    It’s entertaining but something is missing but I can’t put my finger on it. It’s worth it to keep watching though as I live the core family.
    One bothersome thing is Lana. Maybe it’s because of Smallville and liking that portrayal and wanting Lana to be not a stereotypical towny like they have in this show. It comes off unrealistic when you have a strong background and portrayal already to completely change the character. Of course this is TV wise and not comic book wise.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 6, 2021
    Overall, the show—or at least its pilot episode, the only one The CW made available—manages the extraordinary feat of appealing to young genre fans as well striking a chord with their parents, even those still wondering if modern technology can't produce a pair of X-Ray Spex that really work.
  2. Reviewed by: Zaki Hasan
    Mar 19, 2021
    This is the CW’s most confident DC debut and a new, exciting chapter for the “world’s greatest hero.”
  3. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Feb 25, 2021
    This terribly earnest drama skips past the romance and honeymoon period to more domestic concerns, often moving slower than a spent bullet. [1-14 Mar 2021, p.9]