• Network: Hulu
7.0

Watch Now

Buy on

1. Mar 27, 2019
    I've been pleasantly surprised by this thus far. I watched the documentary, and was intrigued (but, hey, I love True Crime stuff). i don't usually go for the reenactments, but this has a great cast and fills in a lot of the gaps the documentary just couldn't. Patricia Arquette is really knocking it out of the park this past year. She was phenomenal in Escape at Dannemora, and she doesn'tI've been pleasantly surprised by this thus far. I watched the documentary, and was intrigued (but, hey, I love True Crime stuff). i don't usually go for the reenactments, but this has a great cast and fills in a lot of the gaps the documentary just couldn't. Patricia Arquette is really knocking it out of the park this past year. She was phenomenal in Escape at Dannemora, and she doesn't let up here. Chloe Savigny is always a pleasure (but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a bit of prurient interest on my part. Don't get me wrong, she's amazingly talented, but I have a thing for her so I can't be trusted). The real surprise is Joey King. She does a great job as Gypsy. I had only seen her in passing in YA fare, but she's certainly holding her own in this Hulu original. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2019
    Another example of a series that drags its feet (well in that case, wheelchair) and tries the patience of the viewer by revealing the end of the story (Death of the mom) right in the first episode and asking us to focus on the psychological development of the characters and, thereby, gain insights into the sado-masochistic mother/daughter relationship.
    However, after about two episodes,
    However, after about two episodes, this development stalls more or less. Then it follows the well-trodden path of the hundreds of similar average psycho-thrillers that have been the staple of middle-aged beach goers' literature and cinema over the last 60 years.
    This show just helps kill time, just not very efficiently....
    Plus point for the cinematography and the young actress though.
  3. Apr 10, 2019
    Compelling True Story Drama That Changes Mood & Tempo Too Many Times

Compelling True Story Drama That Changes Mood & Tempo Too Many Times

After viewing Mommy Dead and Dearest, the HBO documentary on the same subject, it appears The Act is nothing but a money grab in retelling the exact same story with only updates since 2017. The Act omits major participants in the Gypsy Rose Blanchard story, omits character flaws of some participants and uses creativity to present people, places and things that are not fact. Therefore, look upon The Act as a TV-MA rated Lifetime dramatization.

You can always tell when a production has too many cooks stirring the pot, and The Act is no exception. The pace and intrigue are set early, leaving the viewer riveted to the story and waiting in anticipation-until we hit the halfway point of the story as both direction and rhythm completely change the feel of the story. The Act should garner another Emmy nomination for Patricia Arquette.
  4. May 2, 2019
    The Act Season 1 is very well done. The acting, writing, direction, and cinematography are superb. The action of the show ranges from creepy to downright horrifying, with the actors' realistic portrayal of the characters making you even more uncomfortable. The show really drives home that reality is often far more terrifying than any slasher horror film. Patricia Arquette really makes youThe Act Season 1 is very well done. The acting, writing, direction, and cinematography are superb. The action of the show ranges from creepy to downright horrifying, with the actors' realistic portrayal of the characters making you even more uncomfortable. The show really drives home that reality is often far more terrifying than any slasher horror film. Patricia Arquette really makes you hate her character, and Joey King does a good job of conveying the complex nature of her character, for whom you feel sorry but with whom you become quite annoyed and frustrated. Ms. King is a very talented and promising newcomer. The only thing this show does not have going for it is that it's always going to live in the shadow of American Crime Story; as one of the best shows on TV (in my opinion), ACS is a very tough act to follow. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Adrian Horton
    Dec 3, 2019
    Arquette gives a human center to Dee Dee’s manipulations – a frantic and unnecessary EpiPen injection for a non-existent sugar allergy becomes, for example, both an act and a desperate act of love. Gypsy’s teary-eyed disappointment and shame are visceral. But still, the show makes clear that while it’s based on actual events, some of it is dramatized, and that knowledge feels suspect.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Kerensa Cadenas
    Apr 29, 2019
    Terrifying performances from Patricia Arquette and Joe King pair mommy issues with musical cues that fellow Hulu shows should take a note from. It's one hell of a Mommie Dearest ride. [3/10 May 2019, p.90]
  3. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Apr 3, 2019
    For a certain kind of viewer, this show is riveting. It capitalizes on the dread of the disobedient daughter, attempting to grow under an umbrella of disapproval. But the strongest element of the show is not the act—not the performance of illness—but the violent relationship between the two leads, when they have dropped all their pretenses and affectations.