8.5

1. Sep 8, 2019
    How would superheroes act, if they actually existed in real life ? Marvel and DC usually show their poetic versions, but this show goes deeply in the human psyche and shows a cruel and dark reality. Excellently written (adapted), directed, shot, and acted. A must for all superhero (adult) fans.
  2. Aug 7, 2019
    I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a show about superheros, rather it is about corruption, vengeance, and ego rather than it being about Superman fighting villain X. In fact, the show is a timely twist on the superhero genre. The good: good acting, strong world construction, believable characters, good dialogue, entertaining, and mentioned earlier, developed and well-done themes. TheI was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a show about superheros, rather it is about corruption, vengeance, and ego rather than it being about Superman fighting villain X. In fact, the show is a timely twist on the superhero genre. The good: good acting, strong world construction, believable characters, good dialogue, entertaining, and mentioned earlier, developed and well-done themes. The bad: the violence is slightly overdone (body parts and people explode every episode), but it is on par with modern TV these days (Rome, Game of Thrones, etc.). Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2019
    Homelander is genuinely one of the best villains I’ve seen put to screen. Such a brilliantly reserved, nuanced and menancing display of acting. The story was great as well, with good pacing, and had me hooked throughout its 8 episode run time.
  4. Jul 27, 2019
    A strong start! This updated storyline balances dark humor, drama and action as it drives new life into a corporation vs government premise. Very entertaining!
  5. Jul 28, 2019
    The Boys was much more than i thought it would be. I was going into this show with slightly high hopes and i was pleasantly surprised by how quickly i was hooked. The effects were spot on, the acting was good and the writing was different and fun. Please do your self a favor and binge this ASAP. That's my Final Say.
  6. Jul 26, 2019
    amazing dark comedy fantasy Series.binge watched over the night. I have been waiting to see what it was going to offer but I was really satisfied .there was some dull moments but the rest of the story makes up for it.
  7. Jul 30, 2019
    Netflix, pay attention: this is how superhero shows are made. Engaging from start to finish. Not endless melodramatic talky filler. Sex, violence, a lot of plot movement and a great story. I just hope the next season is as good as this one.
  8. Jul 28, 2019
    Watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch it now!!!!! It’s so excellent. So very excellent.
  9. Jul 29, 2019
    I will start by saying that I have yet to read the graphic novel series by Garth Ennis though I intend to start it since I have bought the entire series. I’m strictly basing this review off of the show and not the contrasting differences of the comic. The show is about The Boys AKA a specialized group of people seeking to take down the conglomerate known as Vought who use The Seven whom isI will start by saying that I have yet to read the graphic novel series by Garth Ennis though I intend to start it since I have bought the entire series. I’m strictly basing this review off of the show and not the contrasting differences of the comic. The show is about The Boys AKA a specialized group of people seeking to take down the conglomerate known as Vought who use The Seven whom is an alternative JL of sorts down. Simple yet very effective with a handful of really well done twists. The acting was Incredible. The standouts being The Homelander played by Antony Starr whom I’m overjoyed is coming off of his hit show Banshee. Literally killing it as a clone of Supes. The second being Billy Butcher played by Karl Urban. Incredible acting with multiple dashes of humor. Everyone as a collective did an outstanding job of selling the world minus one or two whom seemed out of place. The action was fire; this is what happens when you have a company like Amazon take the reins on a Mature comic and have no censorship and allowing the team to make it how it deserves to be made and in-turn allowing your fan base to be delighted. Lots of cursing and limbs flying to make the Cirque du Soleil jealous. The cinematography was stunning. The world being sold even though it’s on a small scale with it seeming to expand in S2. I’d recommend this show in a heartbeat if you enjoy the likes of Deadpool, Logan and other M rated versions of comic related material. 8 episodes goes by way too fast. Excited for S2. Expand
  10. Aug 6, 2019
    Was hooked after the first 15 minutes of episode one. Enjoyed the multiple character storylines. Was a fun ride seeing super heroes in a different light.
  11. Aug 1, 2019
    What an incredible first season! The boys put a great original spin on the super genre by, I believe, making super heroes more realistic. The timeless saying goes 'Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.' Realistically super heroes would not act like saints like in the marvel universe but far more like this show does. Which is why I love this show. The acting is great. TheWhat an incredible first season! The boys put a great original spin on the super genre by, I believe, making super heroes more realistic. The timeless saying goes 'Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.' Realistically super heroes would not act like saints like in the marvel universe but far more like this show does. Which is why I love this show. The acting is great. The story is captivating and I never feel like the series is slowing down. What I also love is that from the first episode you know that this not a show for kids and it GOES THERE and shows very disturbing scenes. Also homelander is one of the best villains I have seen in a long time and starlight was great as well. Expand
  12. Jul 29, 2019
    It's "Watchmen" meets "Training Day". By far, the best superhero (or, better yet, anti-hero) show ever to hit the TV screen ever.
  13. Jul 28, 2019
    Never thought this show will be too good. If you are searching for a good show right now which is really hard to find ,watch this show without giving a second thought and thank me later
  14. Jul 28, 2019
    Drops any premise of faithfulness to the source material after the first episode. Completely disregards the point of the original. Very mediocre story. Typical Hollywood misrepresentations of Christians abound. The "twist" at the end sucked and could be seen coming from a mile away.

I gave it a five because I love the characters. I'd probably give it a six if it didn't take so long to bring The Female into the fold. Watch it if you're bored, but don't drop something else in favor of The Boys.
  15. Aug 9, 2019
    It didn't amuse me sadly.
    If you have some years on your shoulders or have already enjoyed some super-heroes fictions for adult viewer (tv show, comics, videogames, movies...) you will find most of the show weak, predicable ( plot, dialogues, jokes, protagonists developing...) and with slow plot developments.
    Mature thematic are there....but it didn't really add something to the show
    It didn't amuse me sadly.
    Mature thematic are there....but it didn't really add something to the show (unlike the original comics) and seems there just to justify age rating..just to look "cool" and "mean".
    It's a big disappointment for those of you that have read the comics because It's very different from the original works..and not in a good way unfortunately.
    I understand the necessity to change something from a graphic novel to a tv show ..but there are too many modification and off-target changes.
    Factions are different, plot is different, protagonists have very different behavior (Hughie, Frenchie, Homelander) or different look (Butcher, A-train, The Deep), violence and sexuality and dramatic gesture and rawness are toned down ...a lot.... humour here is more slapstick than dark..again very different from the original.
    There is lots of screen time filled with new supporting characters that didn't have importance or didn't appear in the comics (Hughie father, Madelyn, Ashley)...while many supporting characters that are present in the original work are absent.
    If you are looking for a different approach to super hero genre there is better out there ...just search for "Misfits" tv series or movie like "Watchmen" or "Super"...or just read the comic book
  16. Jul 26, 2019
    Incredibly sharp and timely deconstruction of superheroes. Highly recommend.
  17. Jul 30, 2019
    I never thought a show would come along and be better than "Breaking Bad." It was my favorite show. Emphasis on "was."

"The Boys" is the best TV show I have ever seen. I could go into more, but all you have to do is watch it. It's brilliant in every way.
  18. Aug 9, 2019
    Great fun TV show that isn't just a soap opera with heavily choreographed fight scenes.
  19. Aug 10, 2019
    STFU Metacritic, THIS is the best series about heroes and one of the best series of the year. This series on other websites with series has very good reviews, only you are still underrated. only your site shows average ratings. You are completely unreliable stfu

THE BOYS : SEASON 1 10/10
  20. Aug 12, 2019
    As a fan of the comics, this show feel severely neutered sprinkled with a lot of sjw propoganda.
  21. Aug 4, 2019
    As a average super heroes movie fan, i loved how they showed the ''human'' side of a super hero and how in their situation its more probably to be a super villain instead, and Haley Osment its in !!!
  22. Jul 28, 2019
    It is just perfect. It is how superheros would probably be like in the real world.
  23. Jul 26, 2019
    Prudish and unfaithfull adaptation. Once more, USA's puritanism and adaptations to please the mass waste the show.
  24. Jul 27, 2019
    No series this year that made me binge like The Boys. Even game of thrones this season can't do it. The Boys is addictive, well-written and really reflect the real life of superheroes if they exist one day. Saw Mr. Fantastic doing orgy, Antman perform japanese hentai style.
  25. Aug 26, 2019
    All of the positive reviews are coming from the MCU/DCU/superhero stuff in general, fans/fanboys who'll watch and love anything involving supers, and who have never read the original comic series. Those who have read the original comic series will be extremely disappointed, if not angry. Aside from SOME of the people, places, and things, absolutely NOTHING of the original comics made it toAll of the positive reviews are coming from the MCU/DCU/superhero stuff in general, fans/fanboys who'll watch and love anything involving supers, and who have never read the original comic series. Those who have read the original comic series will be extremely disappointed, if not angry. Aside from SOME of the people, places, and things, absolutely NOTHING of the original comics made it to the show and that the very intelligent and well written socio-political, gender, sexual, societal, racial commentary and issues were either completely taken out, or watered down for cheap lulz, stupid shock value, disposable entertainment, and wokeness, such as Starlight becoming some kind of crusading feminist, or changing Mallory and Stillwell into women. The Boys belongs on a network HBO which wouldn't be afraid to display its original source material in its full, graphic, edgy, glory, not on Amazon which is obviously using this to get into the superhero game to make money.

If you like or want to like this show, fine, just don't read the original comics or be prepared for a massive disappointment. Those who read the comics first and want to watch this, spare yourself such disappointment and just don't waste your time. It's also very disappointing that Garth Ennis allowed them to water down and neuter his classic, but I guess piles of money from the world's biggest retailer will do that.
  26. Aug 9, 2019
    Série muito repetitiva e muito vaga; a série tem dificuldades em transitar entre tensão e humor.
  27. Aug 9, 2019
    Yet another series in the "edgy" subgenre, but what sets it apart from contenders such as Happy, American Gods or Utopia is that The Boys fails at being anything but painfully, dreadfully average.
    The bargain bin knockoffs that this show parades as "superheroes" are nothing else than pathetic, childish attempts at subverting popular superheroic figures that amount to nothing but petty potshots and a glaring lack of any real criticism.
    In all fairness, The Boys is watchable, it isnt frustratingly dumb, nor is it bad, you could be done with it in a weekend given its length and if you truly enjoy this subgenre of edgy serials, this is not a deviation from any of its defining qualities. However it lacks any kind of a conclusion to its first season, it just feels as if they truncated a single storyline into however many seasons they plan to do, as such, this first installment of The Boys feels just like an incomplete cashgrab starring vague, reminescent heroic figures, riding on the superhero trend while trying to draw people in by being overly edgy.
    It does not work.
    In time it will flush away like all the other bland pieces of media who do not try to change the game or be the best at it.
    And its produced by Amazon.
    Watch it if you want to, I cant stop you, but just know there are plenty of other, better shows in the same style you could watch.

5/10 → -1 Amazon = 4/10
  28. Aug 10, 2019
    I hoped it would be more of a skewering of today's superhero obsessed culture, but I ultimately still enjoyed The Boys for its blood soaked, foul-mouthed anarchy in a time where our masked vigilantes have to remain squeeky clean to ensure box-office domination. There are some shots taken at how mass marketed the superhero genre has become, but I would have appreciated just a bit more onI hoped it would be more of a skewering of today's superhero obsessed culture, but I ultimately still enjoyed The Boys for its blood soaked, foul-mouthed anarchy in a time where our masked vigilantes have to remain squeeky clean to ensure box-office domination. There are some shots taken at how mass marketed the superhero genre has become, but I would have appreciated just a bit more on this front.

The underrated Karl Urban is of course fantastic as always. Really carrying the show here as a lot of the side-characters aren't given too much to do (a flaw in the comics as well). The plot and world-building are interesting and I remained glued to the screen across each of the 8 episodes, but admittedly there isn't much depth to any of this.

Overall, The Boys isn't quite the next big superhero takeover or even the slayers of this ever-growing pop culture juggernaut cycle we're on. What it is however if a vulgar, hyper-violent look at what it could be like if superheroes actually existed and got as big as their onscreen counterparts.
  29. Aug 13, 2019
    The is the new Game of Thrones. Utterly compelling, dark, unpredictable, hopeful. This is a post-modern anti-superhero superhero story. So many engaging themes- famous cameos too! A multilayered delight. If you feel you’ve seen every type of superhero film. Watch The Boys.
  30. Aug 25, 2019
    This show is just pure awesomesauce. Fantastic casting and truly terrifying superheroes. Love it.
  31. Jul 27, 2019
    An above average series. Fairly formulaic in its story beats with a couple of interesting twists and concepts. Worth a watch if you have prime.
  32. Jul 30, 2019
    The Boys is a great show, with a very engaging plot, very engaging protagonists, and a really good villain. Over all, everything about this show just works, it's so good..
  33. Aug 19, 2019
    The Boys season 1 brings the action, comedy and intrigue needed for superhero TV shows as well creates a dark and sinister world. Think of a cross between The Justice League, Brightburn and Kickass.
  34. Aug 10, 2019
    While some twists and story beats feel formulaic, "The Boys"' satire of superheroism and corporatism is skilful.
  35. Aug 11, 2019
    Don't trust the critics they just want boring and artsy documentaries.
    This is the best show on TV this year. Better than any marvel movie and better than any TV show. Dude who played the role of Homelander shall be given an Oscar for best acting. Awesome series. 10/10
  36. Aug 12, 2019
    I've only watched the first three episodes but I felt like I had to say something about this series. There have been so many attempts at interesting superhero tv shows over the years and none have been entirely successful. Heroes had its first season, but that was fifteen years ago, and recently there has been a glut of shows like Umbrella Academy, Jessica Jones, Legion, etc... None haveI've only watched the first three episodes but I felt like I had to say something about this series. There have been so many attempts at interesting superhero tv shows over the years and none have been entirely successful. Heroes had its first season, but that was fifteen years ago, and recently there has been a glut of shows like Umbrella Academy, Jessica Jones, Legion, etc... None have quite worked and most have been pretty dismal.

So I didn't have particularly high hopes for this. And I don't read comic books, so I've no idea about the story this is based on. And Karl Urban's accent in the trailers almost put me off altogether(whoever told him he could do a "Bri'ish accent ma'ey gorblummy luvaduggle" should be put on trial at the Hague). But it kicks off with one of the strongest first episodes I've ever seen and keeps going, introducing an utterly moreish cast of nutty characters and superhero archetypes, all with their own appealing/disgusting traits.
    The plot and motivations of the main characters have been kept in the vault so far, but the Seven, the group of all-conquering and utterly terrifying superheroes who serve as the sort-of bad guys in the show, are all, without exception, fantastic characters. Plenty of people have mentioned how brilliant a bad guy Homelander(the Superman stand-in) is, but The Deep, the useless Aquaman-type poseur, who gets tip-offs from porpoises, and Translucent, the lecherous invisible man who hangs around the women's lavs, are both excellent.

The writing is not comedic, but it's sparky and funny enough to keep you engaged throughout, and there are some superb scenes that depict perfectly the way corporate America would respond to, and attempt to mould, superheroes if they actually existed. We get to see an innocent, idealistic young woman, inducted into The Seven early on, bridle and buck as Vought, the giant mega-corporation that controls the superheroes(and most of Washington), bombards her with publicity-speak recommendations about everything from the things she says to the clothes she wears. One of my favourite scenes is where a couple of PR goons are wheeled in to convince her that the skimpy new costume she's being coerced into wearing is actually 'empowering' and 'feminist'. The quality of the writing is very, very good - it crackles.

It's a gory show - there's a lot of blood and brains, assorted viscera, and there are scenes warning of the dangers of dynamite suppositories; some of it is not exactly sophisticated. And yet...it's got intelligence. It's not dumb, you can tell that there are talented, intelligent people controlling the flow of the show. There is a bite to its satirical elements. It handles the cynicism of Vought perfectly. And there is a depth to the characters, especially the main hero, an everyman whose girlfriend literally explodes when a runaway alternate-universe Flash charges through her while she's standing on the edge of a pavement. This tragedy - and they do a good job of making it feel tragic - powers most of the series so far.
    The other character with the most depth is, well...Homelander. They have leaned into the superpowers more than any other superhero show I've ever seen, really showing the consequences of, say, getting hit by a man moving at 1000mph - and the most liberating aspect of this is that they have a chance to show what a Superman would be capable of doing if he had no qualms about killing human beings. This is what making Homelander the villain gives you: the chance to demonstrate how truly menacing the world would be with a capricious, amoral Superman in it. And it is genuinely frightening. He is a frightening presence on screen. He has a dead smile, and cold, calculating eyes; always perfectly calm...until the mask slips just a little and we see the barely-restrained desire to hurt and maim that lies under the surface. He makes the viewer's skin crawl, and there are further aspects to his(truly warped) persona that make him even more disturbing.

Like I said, I'm only three episodes in, but it's so much sheer, runaway FUN that I felt the need to give it a good write-up. I was leaning towards a 9/10....but the simple fact that I'm less than halfway through means I'm going to have to give it an 8. But absolutely take my word for it - I haven't felt enthused about a mainstream fantasy tv show like this since Game Of Thrones. That's high praise(let's forget seasons 6, 7 and(most especially) 8 existed and admit that GOT was one of the great TV shows for more than half of its run).

I'd warn anyone reading that it's...really gory, in an absurdist, comic-book way. So if you don't like people's entrails popping out, or their brains getting slowly squashed out of their skull then maybe think twice. Don't say you weren't warned.

Other than that, just watch it - more than anything else on telly right now it's just so much FUN.
  37. Sep 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my favorite superhero tv show, my favorite black comedy show, my 2nd favorite comedy show, my 2nd favorite Amazon Prime original show, and one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time. The writing is phenomenal and hilariously dark. The lead acting is remarkable especially from Antony Starr, Karl Urban, Jack Quaid, Erin Moriarty, Chace Crawford, Elizabeth Shue, Tomer Kapon, Karen Fukuhara, Jessie Usher, Dominique McElligott, and Laz Alonso. Jennifer Esposito, Simon Pegg, and Colby Minifie gave great supporting performances. The guest performances from Alex Hassell, Brittany Allen, Haley Joel Osment, and Shaun Benson were excellent. The outfits and costumes are stupendous, well made, and cool looking especially Erin Moriarty's outfits and costumes, Antony Starr's costume, Chace Crawford's costume, Karl Urban's outfits, Dominique McElligott's costume, Jessie Usher's costume, Elizabeth Shue's outfits, Shaun Benson's costume, and Nathan Mitchell's costume. The visual and special effects are outstanding and awesome looking especially Homelander's and the super babies laser eyes, Starlight's powers, The Deep's gills, Ezekiel's powers, Popclaw's powers, the dolphin, and Translucent's powers. The music that is featured in the series is really terrific. The hairstyling and makeup are superb especially on Erin Moriarty, Antony Starr, Dominique McElligott, Karen Fukuhara, Jessie Usher, Shaun Benson, Karl Urban, and Elizabeth Shue. The accessories are fantastic especially Dominique McElligott's, Nathan Mitchell's, and Erin Moriarty's. This is a definite A+ show and is for sure my favorite new show of 2019. Expand
  38. Jul 30, 2019
    When you look back over some of the best movies or shows of all time, you will find something they all have in common, a great VILLAIN. This show has that and it has Karl Urban. Dennis Quad/Meg Ryan's kid is not bad either(usually the apple falls far from the tree...not here though).
  39. Aug 3, 2019
    The first episode is the best part. This show goes into what's on the other side of Superheroes, and how a band of brothers in arms gets revenge for their fallen loved ones. The jokes are good. Be warned it is very graphic and contains mild nudity and dark humour.
  40. Aug 29, 2019
    Fun, Action-packed, Comedy, Romance. The Boys has all of these things. From great and lovable characters to heroes gone bad, The Boys is now one of my favorite shows. From start to end is just so entertaining. Homelander is an amazing villain and Butcher is just brilliantly written. With great jokes from start to end. If you have Amazon Prime, this is a MUST watch.
  41. Sep 9, 2019
    This is a dark take on the superheroes, not unlike other stories such as watchmen or irredeemable. It still feels fresh as a television show nonetheless. Don't come in expecting a bombardment of action scenes as we are often expecting from the mainstream movies. The boys takes a much more dramatic and character driven story and manages to pull it off rather well. The Boys came out atThis is a dark take on the superheroes, not unlike other stories such as watchmen or irredeemable. It still feels fresh as a television show nonetheless. Don't come in expecting a bombardment of action scenes as we are often expecting from the mainstream movies. The boys takes a much more dramatic and character driven story and manages to pull it off rather well. The Boys came out at just the right time as it serves a critique on our current culture of idolising superheroes in our media and serves as a not so subtle allegory to celebrity culture in general. Expand
  42. Jul 27, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the show very thoroughly thru five episodes and then began to wonder why it felt aimless.

The twist at the end with Homelander and Becca being alive was definitely welcome (and well earned with how they played it during the lead up) as otherwise I worried they were going to fail to land this thing.

Obviously there is source material to work from, but overall it was well acted and well written in terms if dialogue. Show has tons of potential for Season 2 with perhaps a (true) “evil” turn from The Deep being set up, Becca’s side of leaving with her kid from Homelander, Black Noir hasn’t really been investigated AT ALL, spots open on the Seven with A Train and Translucent gone (the laters death likely lumped with the prior for sake of media) and growth from the Kimiko character who appears to at minimum be Wolverine and potentially greater. Not to mention the Supe Terrorists which I expect is the main arch allowing Homelander to take further control in the Military. This was honestly a great surprise, and I’d started high on the show around 9/10 rating. Dipped it back down to a 6/7 when it wandered a bit in the middle, but really got me reinvested late.
  43. Aug 13, 2019
    I honestly really loved the show. Full of different characters that really bring some interesting dynamics to the show. There is a lot going and season 1 does not answer nearly enough... ready for season 2 please! Check out my full review here - https://youtu.be/4V--AyiUN4Y
  44. Aug 3, 2019
    It is solid show, it reminds me a lot to “Watchmen”. Plot is easy to guess, no hard drama or surprises there but it doesn’t bother much.
  45. Aug 14, 2019
    Great show. Funny, well acted, and nice alternative to the typical superhero flare. Highly recommend.
  46. Aug 15, 2019
    This is reminiscent of Watchmen in a good and bad way. Good that it deconstructs the genre of superhero stories and the characters. Bad because it is excessively graphic without having a reason to be so and a season closer that is not something that should be done.
  47. Aug 23, 2019
    magine: what would happen if there were people with mega cool suppppapower, super hero organizations, competitions and tests to become a super star of justice ... yes like the avengers but ... not the avengers and above all not the marvel universe..but our world, full of corruption, wickedness, careerism, sadism, cynicism and ... money and power in the wrong hands, this is the beginning,magine: what would happen if there were people with mega cool suppppapower, super hero organizations, competitions and tests to become a super star of justice ... yes like the avengers but ... not the avengers and above all not the marvel universe..but our world, full of corruption, wickedness, careerism, sadism, cynicism and ... money and power in the wrong hands, this is the beginning, do you think discounted it? I don't want to spoil it .. remember what I said: it's our world. Expand
  48. Aug 27, 2019
    PROS: compelling layered central characters; relevant themes smartly handled; intelligent storytelling; intriguing season story arc with many memorable moments; top-notch visual effects.
    CONS: gratuitous bloody violence; a few boring secondary characters; sometimes it's too dark for a show with "Supes" dressed in ridiculous costumes; CIA high officials portrayed as "the good guys".
  49. Sep 18, 2019
    i don't understand why they bothered slapping the name on here if they weren't even going to bother trying to adapt anything beyond the thinnest veneer of the comic's presence. The best way to think of this is like the difference between Starship Troopers the novel and Verhoeven's film, but where as Verhoeven had a point to make, Amazon just wanted the name recognition to squeeze a littlei don't understand why they bothered slapping the name on here if they weren't even going to bother trying to adapt anything beyond the thinnest veneer of the comic's presence. The best way to think of this is like the difference between Starship Troopers the novel and Verhoeven's film, but where as Verhoeven had a point to make, Amazon just wanted the name recognition to squeeze a little more money out of a remarkably bland series.
    I don't blame you for liking it if you haven't read the comic, but if you are a fan of Ennis's insightful original story, do yourself a favor and just skip it.

1. Reviewed by: Matthew Dessem
    Aug 16, 2019
    The premise is pretty familiar “who watches the watchmen” stuff—a ragtag team of normal humans, each with their own reasons, take on the superhero-industrial complex—but the execution is unusually strong.
  2. Reviewed by: David Fear
    Jul 26, 2019
    There’s a lot happening around The Boys‘ core concept, from a human-supe romance and a plan to sell superheroes to the U.S. military via Trumpian fear-stoking. There’s some serious Freudian baggage around Homelander and his handler and a number of gleefully absurd side vignettes. But none of it adds up to much, and there’s a constant sense that the show is treading over too-familiar ground when it’s not simply treading water.
  3. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Jul 26, 2019
    “The Boys” is a refreshing look at the ever-expanding world of men and women in tights. It gives Urban one of his best roles in years and keeps our interest much longer than we ever thought possible.