• Network: NETFLIX
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 30, 2019
8.6

1. Sep 5, 2019
    It is amazing! It's beautiful, it's smart, it's intense and sensitive. They managed to put together an interesting plot with a sweeping production.
  2. Sep 7, 2019
    Dark Crystal was one of my favorite films growing up. It remains one of the few films I enjoyed as a child but can appreciate just as much, if not more, as an adult. When I heard about this 'revival' I immediately tempered my expectations. I assumed it was just another cash grab that would never hold its own against the original and could potentially tarnish the name and memory of aDark Crystal was one of my favorite films growing up. It remains one of the few films I enjoyed as a child but can appreciate just as much, if not more, as an adult. When I heard about this 'revival' I immediately tempered my expectations. I assumed it was just another cash grab that would never hold its own against the original and could potentially tarnish the name and memory of a masterpiece. Thankfully, 'Age of Resistance' is an exception to the rule, and I could not be more thrilled about it. 'Resistance' is not only a seamless follow up to the film, but it expands upon the world, story and designs in ways that prove that this was a work built on love, trust and compassion for the source material. The series isn't a mere puppet show, it is a fully realized fantasy epic that holds its own against all the classics. (But it is also an excellent puppet show, and at times, an excellent puppet show within an excellent puppet show.) I hope 'Resistance' begins a new renaissance for masterfully crafted fantasy stories free of the dull grit and insta-dated CG that has inundated the industry in recent years. "Resistance' is a breath of fresh air, which is surprising coming from a 36 year old puppetry property. The characters, the artistry, the acting, it's all gold. Watch this, share this, and see what it means to love your work and utilize the gift of imagination we all hold within our hearts. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2019
    I saw the original in 1982 and it was so amazing. Now 37 years later we finally get a spectacular continuation of the storyline. It definitely dwarfs the original in scope, vision, story and special effects. Netflix and the Henson company have given the dark Crystal franchise the treatment that it deserves. The story arches feel very relevant with what is happening in the world today. EachI saw the original in 1982 and it was so amazing. Now 37 years later we finally get a spectacular continuation of the storyline. It definitely dwarfs the original in scope, vision, story and special effects. Netflix and the Henson company have given the dark Crystal franchise the treatment that it deserves. The story arches feel very relevant with what is happening in the world today. Each episode feels more like a feature film than just a series. Superbly executed, fantastic world building and character development and simply hypnotizing to watch. Highly recommended! Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2019
    A história me surpreendeu, fotografia linda e nostálgica, já me pegou no primeiro episódio.
  5. Sep 2, 2019
    Every bit as beautiful as I wanted it to be, supported by an incredible cast, the best puppeteering in the world, and an exceptionally well-executed story that both captured the essence of the original and carved out a place for itself in today's cornucopia of high quality television offerings. It's topical, dark without being grimdark, hopeful without being saccharine, and completeEvery bit as beautiful as I wanted it to be, supported by an incredible cast, the best puppeteering in the world, and an exceptionally well-executed story that both captured the essence of the original and carved out a place for itself in today's cornucopia of high quality television offerings. It's topical, dark without being grimdark, hopeful without being saccharine, and complete without being over. I am so, so grateful to Netflix and the Hensons for deciding to bring this world into now and I am anxious to see more! Expand
  6. Sep 4, 2019
    The series from beginning to end was to put it simply... VISUALLY BEAUTIFUL! Every episode well thought out with its own unique climax. Every character has a different look and interesting character progression as the series moves forward from episode to episode. The music was well timed with the drama that evoked emotion with every suspenseful climax. No lazy writing here or cheapThe series from beginning to end was to put it simply... VISUALLY BEAUTIFUL! Every episode well thought out with its own unique climax. Every character has a different look and interesting character progression as the series moves forward from episode to episode. The music was well timed with the drama that evoked emotion with every suspenseful climax. No lazy writing here or cheap thrills. If your still reading, do yourself a favor and start watching it. Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2019
    I loved how much work they put into it....great story , fascinating characters and a lot of room to expand it more
  8. Sep 2, 2019
    This show is light, dark, sad, and joyful. But it's absolutely epic and one of the most charming things I've experienced. The effects, music, singing, and voice acting are all amazing! Not once during the season did I feel unnecessary scenes. Everything that happened had a purpose, and everything came together so well. I never felt bored, and I lost sleep for it. It was worth it! Hup is my hero.
  9. Aug 30, 2019
    Absolutely beautiful in a style you just can't find anymore. It mesmerized me as an 11 year old kid in 1982 and thankfully they stayed true to using real puppets, instead of creating characters with that CGI crap like Lion King did and failed at. The story is more relevant today than ever as the Amazon Forest burns as I post this and the world becomes a darker place filled withAbsolutely beautiful in a style you just can't find anymore. It mesmerized me as an 11 year old kid in 1982 and thankfully they stayed true to using real puppets, instead of creating characters with that CGI crap like Lion King did and failed at. The story is more relevant today than ever as the Amazon Forest burns as I post this and the world becomes a darker place filled with uncertainty. I really hope they decide to do a 2nd season and maybe a do-over on the movie version so we get an in depth story that can be fleshed out in a TV series. Expand
  10. Aug 31, 2019
    If Jim Henson was still alive he would be totally proud of this chapter of his characters
  11. Sep 1, 2019
    This series has fulfilled and gone beyond my wildest hopes for the story, both incorporating and evolving themes that have been there since The Dark Crystal in its original form. Interviews reveal that 95% of what you see on screen is flesh-and-blood classic puppetry. CG was used only for backgrounds and stray items. If you're seeing uncanny visuals, check your TV's Motion Smoothing andThis series has fulfilled and gone beyond my wildest hopes for the story, both incorporating and evolving themes that have been there since The Dark Crystal in its original form. Interviews reveal that 95% of what you see on screen is flesh-and-blood classic puppetry. CG was used only for backgrounds and stray items. If you're seeing uncanny visuals, check your TV's Motion Smoothing and turn it almost all down. This needs to be savored like film.

On a technical as well as a story level, it takes an immense amount of bravery and focus to achieve what they have achieved with this series. Every review you are likely to find out there says as much, aside from the mysterious, wordless two that at present count are weighing down this incredible work of imagination.

If you live in the actual real world, and are receptive and aware of what besets it and challenges us as our climate dissolves and our communities implode, then you will find a deep and lifelong love in this story and its characters. Highest recommendation from a lifelong fan of The Dark Crystal.
  12. Aug 30, 2019
    It seems good so far, interesting characters and nostalgia, but why are the negative audience responses being removed?
  13. Sep 2, 2019
    I watched the original movie in '82 when I was 13 years old, and was a fan ever since.
    Was sceptical about a prequel TV series until I read that Jim Henson's Daughter is actually producing and Brian Froud is still on board for the world design. So we planned to watch the first few episodes on the weekend and see how they live up to the movie. Some 12 hours and 10 episodes later (with only the most minor breaks), I'm still blown away.
    The look of world is simply amazing. The attention to detail, the creativity and sheer love put into every scene is something I haven't seen in a long time. This is an old-fashioned, hand-crafted movie in the best possible sense. And the way the story and world-building weave themselves slowly into the lore of the 37-year old film is absolutely perfect.
    Unlike in many other Netflix shows, none of the 10 Episodes ever feels superfluous, or too long, or like uninspired filler material - you simple never get enough from the world and peoples of Thra.
    The voice cast is absolutely stellar - no matter where you live (Germany here, the dubbing is OK but simply can't hold water to Sigourney Weaver, Mark Hamill, Jason Isaacs, Simon Peg, Natalie Emanuel and all the others!), try watching it in the original English version.
    Would give this piece of art an 11 if I could. They simply don't make 'em like this any more... :)
  14. Aug 31, 2019
    I never watched the movie but I saw the trailers for this show and I immediately decided I had to watch it. I admit people like me who never watched the original movie might have trouble getting used to the puppets, it might seem weird at first, so I think it's great that they did a mix of puppets + CGI. Anyways, I just finished episode 5 and I'm officially hooked, it's amazing. If you'reI never watched the movie but I saw the trailers for this show and I immediately decided I had to watch it. I admit people like me who never watched the original movie might have trouble getting used to the puppets, it might seem weird at first, so I think it's great that they did a mix of puppets + CGI. Anyways, I just finished episode 5 and I'm officially hooked, it's amazing. If you're like me, you're gonna watch the first 3 episodes and be like "it's definitely good but I don't know if I'm truly a fan" but you have to keep going. By the end of episode 5 you should officially want to binge-watch until the end. Expand
  15. Sep 3, 2019
    Beautifully done and well made! It's everything that I hoped a Dark Crystal series could be!
  16. Sep 3, 2019
    Im 37 yo and I've never been a fan of Muppets or Sesame Street and even didn't see the original movie from 1982. I was curious and start to watch it. I'm so surprised to myself, that I have totally fall in love with this world. True masterpiece and true gem on Netflix. I needed 2 or 3 episodes to use to puppets because it was odd for me. After a whole season I think that puppets techniqueIm 37 yo and I've never been a fan of Muppets or Sesame Street and even didn't see the original movie from 1982. I was curious and start to watch it. I'm so surprised to myself, that I have totally fall in love with this world. True masterpiece and true gem on Netflix. I needed 2 or 3 episodes to use to puppets because it was odd for me. After a whole season I think that puppets technique is the power of the show. All detail, truly living world, designed with every smallest detail, Breathless. Amazing work of producers. Definitely not for 7+ kids, more like 13+ :). Very recommended!!! Expand
  17. Sep 3, 2019
    Had to stop 15 min in. The cinematography is nauseating: Maybe puppets and camera action do not work and felt disjunct (in particular when the eyes do not move with the rest of the body). The villains are not so much scary as unbelievably grating in their design and voices. Really unbearable. Plus, the story background, the world building at the start of the show, doesn't make any senseHad to stop 15 min in. The cinematography is nauseating: Maybe puppets and camera action do not work and felt disjunct (in particular when the eyes do not move with the rest of the body). The villains are not so much scary as unbelievably grating in their design and voices. Really unbearable. Plus, the story background, the world building at the start of the show, doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Expand
  18. Sep 2, 2019
    The dark Crystal age of resistente is awsm , is the new got of fantasy , you Will laungh Will cry hate and love all creature of of his universe obra de arte amigo!! And hard Work of production
  19. Sep 3, 2019
    There is something seriously weird with the animation and in particular the camera movements. I has the unnaturaly swooping CGI camera over land, and in fight scenes they just seem to be shaking the camera up and down and back and forth just to make things look terrible (probably because otherwise it would just be puppets bumbing into each other US: World Police style).

The enemies are

The enemies are really cartoonishly evil. There is a lore reason (ish) for that, but it gets really old really fast. And the rest of the world seemed to base their action more on what is needed to progress the story than what would be more in line with their character...

In short:
    Interesting world
    Terrible camera work (and CGI camera work)
    Silly villains
    Inconsistent characters.
  20. Sep 1, 2019
    So this looks a lot like Avatar but as the series. Or should I say it beats Avatar, because it´s already here, but Avatar is still in ... avatar. And the bad creatures are from Star Wars. All right - now I know - this is Avatar in Star Wars, yes now I get it. But i like it, because in Avatar Sigourney died, but here the crystal keeps her voice alive.
  21. Sep 6, 2019
    THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE is a gorgeous show. It looks and feels amazing. Its a puppet show so if people dont lie that shoud avoid it. but if you can get to it its the est it can be. Nothing match this.
  22. Sep 9, 2019
    An Masterpiece Series prequel to a Masterpiece of a Film.

An Masterpiece Series prequel to a Masterpiece of a Film.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, has something above many Prequel/Sequel series... it can be enjoyed by people who have never seen/heard of the original Film! actually, i can make people want to see the original! it hold strong in it's own, and that's amazin', the Mythology of the World is so strong that it can be enjoyed without needing all the pieces in place, still it does keep you curious enough to check out the rest~

i'm really bad at reviewin' but... this Series is a perfect 10 from me, the original still is my Favorite Movie of all time, and this series did not disappoint in any regard! except... that it ends!

People say it's "Game of Thrones" or "Lord of the Rings" for kids, and i say, it's "Muppets" or "Sesame Street" for adults!
    but it is perfect for any age!
  23. Sep 3, 2019
    Like Old Times Listen a Good Tale without worrying anything. When I Start watching ı dont understand how time goes and how we come to The end this soon.
  24. Sep 12, 2019
    Brings back the magic of Jim Henson. Visually stunning; artistic style very much like the original Dark Crystal but even better. Excellent voice acting. Highly recommend.
  25. Sep 11, 2019
    Addictive! Everything is made with so much love that while I was watching I was feeling sorry that it was going to end eventually.
  26. Sep 17, 2019
    This is a wonderful series that brings the magic of the film and adds a deeper level of story. Because this is a prequel the plot points of the film stick in the back of my mind, however I can't wait to see what season 2 will bring for our heroes.
  27. Sep 14, 2019
    +Excellent writing elevates the storytelling
    +Great character/world design
    +Great use of legacy effects +Wonderful soundscape/ost +You can tell this is a passion project for all involved -To have to wait for more story is too much!! I just didn't expect this to happen... That it did, and to this level of quality with minimal CG and great legacy puppet effects is just incredible.
    +Excellent writing elevates the storytelling
    +Great character/world design
    +Great use of legacy effects
    +Wonderful soundscape/ost
    +You can tell this is a passion project for all involved
    -To have to wait for more story is too much!!

I just didn't expect this to happen... That it did, and to this level of quality with minimal CG and great legacy puppet effects is just incredible. The story is excellent and watching this reminds me the potential of this medium to tell a good story. Wondrous stuff - I eagerly anticipate the next season.
  28. Sep 17, 2019
    Wondrous, magical, exhilarating. There are actually no words to do this masterpiece justice. I was completely transported into this world and felt like a kid again (35 years old now) Perfectly paced and not rushed at all so the characters get a chance to develop. Best fantasy series I've ever seen

1. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Sep 3, 2019
    The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance isn’t just a masterwork of practical puppeteering, production design, and CGI artistry. .... This return to the planet Thra exceeds any and all nostalgia-tinged expectations, delivering a multi-strand quest that’s exciting, funny, charming, and mythic—and sure to satisfy newbies and die-hards alike. ... It’s the rare prequel (or sequel, for that matter) that not only justifies its own existence but proves to be an immediate genre classic in its own right.
  2. Reviewed by: Aja Romano
    Aug 30, 2019
    All of this detail starts to pay off when the story gets more complex, and the pace quickens a bit. Because so much work has gone into making all of the characters distinct and individualized, you never once feel distracted by the puppetry, or jarred out of the series’ serious tone.
  3. Reviewed by: Hanh Nguyen
    Aug 30, 2019
    The series boasts visual mastery and a stimulating plot, but its message of hope and community gives it a far richer purpose. “Age of Resistance” matters, and that’s some admirable alchemy at work.