• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 14, 2022
6.5

1. Jan 17, 2022
    What is a home? In 'The House,' an astounding work of stop-motion animation that just debuted on Netflix, the protagonists of this anthology discover that a house is not necessarily one.

In the first tale, about a family that moves to a bigger house, the daughter sees their parents succumb to ambition and the luxuries that the place offers them. In the second one, about a mouse developer building the house of his dreams to sell to the highest bidder, money can't build a home. And in the third one, about a group of anthropomorphic cats living in an island house in a flooded world, the real meaning of home emerges when the protagonist's left for herself.

'The House' owes too much to Wes Anderson, but in a good way. The animation is pristine and very detailed, and the mix of horror, comedy, and drama is on point.

My favorite was the second one, with a trio of characters beyond hilarious.

A must-see for every Netflix subscriber that appreciates animation for adults.
  2. Jan 14, 2022
    "The House" is an interesting watch that at least has something to say (maybe not thoroughly original but comparing to the loopy/predictable/bore-fest cinema and TV of today this is such a blessing).
    In my opinion 1st episode is very good, 2nd is good and 3rd one average but definitely recommended.
    For more mind-blowing stop-motion I invite you to check out "The Shivering Truth".
  3. Jan 14, 2022
    Stunningly produced trio of stories in artful motion. In turns creepy, darkly funny and hopeful it shows the power of animation to tell unexpected stories.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Christina Newland
    Jan 18, 2022
    While it isn’t exactly outright horror as many of us might understand it, there is something effectively nauseating about its imagery. I liked it; but I won’t be watching it ever again.
  2. Reviewed by: Tasha Robinson
    Jan 14, 2022
    It’s hard not to appreciate the sheer amount of work that went into crafting this threefold fever dream, and the directors’ sheer effectiveness at creating such instantly believable fantasy worlds. They set out to make these stories vividly oppressive and claustrophobic, and they certainly succeeded.
  3. Reviewed by: Joel Keller
    Jan 14, 2022
    The House is certainly off-putting and weird at times, but the animation is great and the stories moved along just quickly enough to keep us interested.