• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: May 29, 2019
6.5

1. Jul 24, 2019
    After watching a couple of episodes, I came to the conclusion that the show is not really cutting it.

First of all, I really liked 'Medium' and I like Patricia Arquette. What I find obvious is the lead's resemblance to her. She looks like a young Patrica Arquette. That's not really a bad thing, but it somehow tells me that the showrunners aren't aiming very high, trying to associate

First of all, I really liked 'Medium' and I like Patricia Arquette.
    trying to associate the lead of this show by her looks to the lead of a much better show.

I got ahead of myself but it's simple:
    'The Inbetween' does, in general, what 'Medium' did, but it's inferior in every aspect.
    It checks all the boxes of the genre, it does, but it feels all so by the numbers.

What I find annoying is, that the lead character panics every time she has a vision that is terrifying even though she has experienced those visions since she was a child.
    She must know very well by now that the visions start and end and that she is in no danger.
    But almost every time she starts panicking and screaming.
    It's tiresome and it's only there to make the show more dramatic.

'Medium' delivered suspense and a sense of urgency, but 'the Inbetween' somehow doesn't.
    The plot points feel too mechanical, I don't feel any suspense.
    At the end of every episode I saw (maybe 5), I was underwhelmed.
    Maybe it's difficult to make another 'Medium' and come up with something new.
    However, there's no complaints about the acting, it's good, I like the british guy.

If you watched 'Medium', it will look very familiar, but not as good.
    So, if you're really desperate for that kind of 'I see dead people and have visions' show, watch it.
    You might enjoy it. You just mustn't compare it to 'Medium'. They're no match.

'The Inbetween' is not a bad show, by all means, but it's simply not a good show either,
    at least not good enough for me. I give up.
  2. Jul 5, 2019
    I have thoroughly enjoyed this new show. Some critics think it's been done before, but this definitely has some twists and Tues that I like very much. Each main character has interesting backgrounds that I hope will go deeper. Great start!!
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    May 28, 2019
    This is basic paint-by-the-numbers storytelling despite the otherworldly premise. Both Ghost Whisperer and Medium had stronger grips and more interesting women as their center stage psychics.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    May 28, 2019
    Wobbly start notwithstanding, there’s some potential for drama and, better, comedy among the characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Caroline Framke
    May 22, 2019
    Despite its attempts to do something new with a well-worn genre, its blunt attempts to shock are somehow both predictable and confusing all at once. Not even vengeful ghost children and hallucinatory murders can make this one all that memorable.