• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 5, 2019
3.3

1. Nov 6, 2019
    What in the upside down Alabama rat infested incest Jesus is this? By all means it is terrible.
  2. Nov 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How could you so spoil a warm and sweet franchise. When will we see white actors as Michael Jordan and Tyson? Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2019
    Ooof! That's what it felt like when Auli'i tried to sing the high notes. I'm just going to make this review about Part of your World and the Part of Your World (Reprise). Everyone has said enough about the terrible crab suit and the amazing performance by the Queen (Truly though, Latifah gots all you need and then some)!

But let's get down to what's wrong about this production (and

But let's get down to what's wrong about this production (and really, almost anything where someone sings these days). Auli'i does not have the range nor the intonation to be singing live. I literally felt the pains in my throat as she tried to sing the high notes. Also, they had to modulate lower for the big finale (a huge no no in musicals). If you want to believe it is fine for her to sing as Moana (even though there a MILLIONS of asian girls out there with better intonation and bigger ranges), then fine; you are responsible for the worship of mediocrity. However, to watch her struggle live, on stage in these vocals was embarrassing. Disney should be ashamed to promote someone who clearly doesn't not have the presence or vocal prowess to tackle these numbers. The issue is that no one cares anymore. If they see someone screaming their head off, no matter how out of tune the note is, they say "Mmmm, that girl has passion." The truth is, however, that girl was just too lazy to learn proper singing technique and instead tried to take a short cut. Just think about it this way: she's taking away someone else's chance who actually deserves it through the connections she has; isn't that what Laurie Laughlin did? Huh. Gross.

I saw Little Mermaid in theatres when I was 8 years old. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch it the same way again. While The Queen was great, Auli'i should invest in voice lessons before singing live again.

1. Nov 7, 2019
    Switching between the classic film and a live production may have sounded good in theory, especially when considering the movie breaks gave the production more time to swap sets, but its execution was clunky. ... What was live was good, what wasn’t became diminished by expectations and comparisons — that’s not an ideal blend, and I’ll take an ambitious failure over half-a-musical any day.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Fallon
    Nov 6, 2019
    The Little Mermaid Live! was an equally audacious and disastrous, admirable TV experiment. Everyone involved should be embarrassed and proud!
  3. Reviewed by: Robyn Bahr
    Nov 6, 2019
    Audiences were deprived of any dramatic performances from the cast, treated instead to what ostensibly amounted to a concert that relied heavily on background video and brief celebrity cameos. It was a deflating experience.