6.8

1. Nov 5, 2019
    There are some interesting scenes/ideas, but none of them are thoroughly explored and I found all of the characters pretty uninteresting, unrelatable, and mostly unlikable. The show tries to make you care about Alex with a few emotional scenes, but I was left feeling like "I don't know anything about this character, and I don't really care that she's sad. All I know is that she's a richThere are some interesting scenes/ideas, but none of them are thoroughly explored and I found all of the characters pretty uninteresting, unrelatable, and mostly unlikable. The show tries to make you care about Alex with a few emotional scenes, but I was left feeling like "I don't know anything about this character, and I don't really care that she's sad. All I know is that she's a rich TV host that lost her philandering work partner. boohoo I guess?" The show keeps trying for these emotional payoffs that it doesn't spend any time building up to, so they just feel awkward. Also, I was thoroughly distracted by the amount of Apple product placement (the first 5 minutes of the show feels like an extended iPhone ad) Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2019
    The show has its moments. But a lot of the writing is boring, uneven, and often doesn’t make sense. Witherspoon’s character does a lot of stuff that doesn’t make sense, and doesn’t have believable repercussions. I’m sure it’s annoying other viewers as well.

1. Reviewed by: Sophie Gilbert
    Nov 1, 2019
    The first three episodes made available to critics are remarkably flat for such a lavish venture. ... When The Morning Show finally gets its setup established, and starts to grapple with the consequences and the meaning of what Mitch has actually done, the show finds some momentum. It’s at its most fascinating, and meaningful, when it’s picking at the cultural scar tissue left by so many allegations.
  2. Reviewed by: Melanie McFarland
    Nov 1, 2019
    Apple TV+'s series is less about the intricacies of the business than the firestorms resulting when talent egos clash against management callousness. One might understand that more precisely after a slog through the first two episodes. But maybe audiences will forgive the clunky pacing and derivative scenes in those episodes, since "The Morning Show" less about the script than the performances and the star power.
  3. Nov 1, 2019
    It’s honestly pretty fun to watch, all glossy and zippy. But it’s also fundamentally at war with itself.