• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 12, 2020
8.9

1. Jan 13, 2020
    Good Show... Even though the similarity with "The Night Of" is crystal clear...
    Another good show to start the new year.... And awesome Direction by JASON BATEMAN
  2. Jan 20, 2020
    Acting is superb and mostly stays true to the source material. Worth watching.
  3. Jan 14, 2020
    Whew! This is soooo gooood. The scripts by Richard Price, the direction by Jason Bateman, the lead character by Ben Mendelsohn, all of them are terrific. And the music track is just right, sends shivers up your spine. I'm a very picky consumer of story, and this is another like HBO's "The Night Of" that it did a year or so ago, very great scripts, as much budget as needed to assure aWhew! This is soooo gooood. The scripts by Richard Price, the direction by Jason Bateman, the lead character by Ben Mendelsohn, all of them are terrific. And the music track is just right, sends shivers up your spine. I'm a very picky consumer of story, and this is another like HBO's "The Night Of" that it did a year or so ago, very great scripts, as much budget as needed to assure a quality production. Everything is in place. This is just great viewing. Expand
  4. Jan 13, 2020
    This review is based on just episode 1 and will likely be edited once the season is finished.

So far, it has been absolutely excellent. While there hasn't been really any horror elements so far, it gives off a very eerie and mysterious feeling while also still feeling intense at times. It reminds me a lot of "The Sinner" and "The Night of." The acting is top notch with Bateman and

The acting is top notch with Bateman and Mendelsohn leading the way. Even the music made me move to the edge of my seat towards the ending. I have high hopes for the show as this episode immediately hooked me.
  5. Jan 15, 2020
    Jas wiaojdi iajfl kdkjlsun ufjuzlia euuaytqsj ksu uwuwkdbdusi. Oufuxeeuk. Djdid.
  6. Jan 14, 2020
    I thought this got off to a strong start. Not having read the book, it's interesting enough for me to keep tuning in, and this cast is a dream. First episode much better than the second one, hope that's not a trend.
  7. Jan 14, 2020
    Making a murderer: Stephen King edition. I had to look up when it was published 2018, after Making a Murderer. Jason Bateman has really brought brilliance to his work, Ozarks is uniformly well done. This feels like a mix between Ozarks and The Fugitive. Ben Mendelsohn is regularly the most talented actor in subpar movies. The photography is excellent, I particularly like how the openingMaking a murderer: Stephen King edition. I had to look up when it was published 2018, after Making a Murderer. Jason Bateman has really brought brilliance to his work, Ozarks is uniformly well done. This feels like a mix between Ozarks and The Fugitive. Ben Mendelsohn is regularly the most talented actor in subpar movies. The photography is excellent, I particularly like how the opening credits melt into and out of the scene. It will be a bummer when I have to drop my score when this show gets swallowed up by modern feminism or hyper homosexuality. Expand
  8. Jan 13, 2020
    So far, so good. I enjoyed the book, and the Hodges trilogy as well, and this is pretty much following the book as far as the first two episodes. Great casting so far too, but I have not seen an episode with Cynthia Erivo yet, so I'm holding off on a final grade. I don't think Holly's race matters as long as they get the character right. Holly is an important character in the Hodge'sSo far, so good. I enjoyed the book, and the Hodges trilogy as well, and this is pretty much following the book as far as the first two episodes. Great casting so far too, but I have not seen an episode with Cynthia Erivo yet, so I'm holding off on a final grade. I don't think Holly's race matters as long as they get the character right. Holly is an important character in the Hodge's trilogy and in the Outsider, in which she handles the case alone (well, with the other cops and PI's). I was very disappointed in Mr. Mercedes and I love Brendan Gleeson. Holly was totally wrong in that (a 20 year old cute, quirky chick, which is NOT Holly). If Enrivo gets it right, that will lock this in as one of the best King adaptations for TV. Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2020
    Ground breaking good. My favorite tb show in a long time. Rating-

1. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jan 21, 2020
    The Outsider is deluxe King, befitting a tall tale that gains imaginative power by slowly weaving its spooky and supernatural elements into a gripping detective story. [20 Jan - 2 Feb 2020, p.8]
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Jan 13, 2020
    It's a serious piece of work, with talented writers like Richard Price and Dennis Lehane doing the adaptation. But the result is curiously—and annoyingly—uneven, as if different production crews took over on alternate days undoing one another's work.
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Fallon
    Jan 13, 2020
    [Mendelsohn's] stellar turn is complemented by uniformly great work from the entire cast, with Nicholson (a criminally undervalued actress) as the standout. ... Some too-convenient plot developments aside, The Outsider casts a chilly pall that creeps into one’s bones.