• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 6, 2019
5.8

1. Sep 10, 2019
    An ultimately mediocre piece of zionist / israeli propaganda. Hollywood propaganda pieces are usually more entertaining and just better at rendering synthetic lies and stories. Watch it and see for yourself.
  2. Sep 11, 2019
    The acting is atrocious (Cohen is overacting all the scenes but other actors are also weak). It is a show that appears artificial, trying too hard. One example is the use of a colour lens that make appear all the scenes in Israel set in the past as faded photographs. It's a gimmick that adds to the bland, boring atmosphere of the series.
  3. Sep 8, 2019
    A great and true spy story deserves a deeper look than this rather shallow rendition. It's by the book. Our hero is heroic displayed, but his humanity is largely in the shadow. The dialog is dumbed down for the audience-the characters seem to be talking more to the audience than each other-and the plot is Ian Fleming when we need Le Carre. It's really a propaganda piece for Israel ratherA great and true spy story deserves a deeper look than this rather shallow rendition. It's by the book. Our hero is heroic displayed, but his humanity is largely in the shadow. The dialog is dumbed down for the audience-the characters seem to be talking more to the audience than each other-and the plot is Ian Fleming when we need Le Carre. It's really a propaganda piece for Israel rather than an exploration of the psychological tension of living a double life in the devil's lair. Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2019
    I caught a glimpse of episode 1 and I am not someone who watches television, nor do I binge watch. I don't have the impulse or time. When the trailer showed up on Netflix, I was fascinated. The performances are great and I like this kind of genre. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked seeing Sacha in a serious role because he has a mesmerizing dramatic side. The lighting, cinematographyI caught a glimpse of episode 1 and I am not someone who watches television, nor do I binge watch. I don't have the impulse or time. When the trailer showed up on Netflix, I was fascinated. The performances are great and I like this kind of genre. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked seeing Sacha in a serious role because he has a mesmerizing dramatic side. The lighting, cinematography and smooth grace of the visual appeals to my eye. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Aaron Barnhart
    Sep 11, 2019
    Sometimes it takes an ordinary thriller or procedural to make an extraordinary point. The Spy offers entertaining proof of this.
  2. Reviewed by: Nick Allen
    Sep 10, 2019
    “The Spy” is a compelling albeit uneven limited series that offers a unique character study of a spy, and in this case, a true chameleon.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Sep 6, 2019
    There are shorthand cliches about duty, country and spying that could have been excised. But, flaws aside, this mostly true story of Israel's most famous spy makes for a compelling story, fueled by Cohen's strongest dramatic work yet.