• Network: NETFLIX
  • Series Premiere Date: Dec 20, 2019
7.6

1. Dec 21, 2019
    It's not horrible, but it's a missed opportunity to make a great series due to poor adaptation and the way they felt the need to add forced diversity to the cast plus other progressive ideas that just don't fit in the Witcher universe.

Overall disappointed.
  2. Dec 21, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story telling is a mess. Too hurry and chaos. The parts of Yennefer and Geralt are good, and the actor and actress perform very well in my opinion. But the timeline and most characters' relationship are not good. They tried to make you feels sad when some character die, but you might not have time to know these character. And even though I think Yen's part are good, this character isn't charming as she is in the original books and games. She's childish, cynical. The show didn't convinced me, that she is the woman who Geralt would suddenly falls in love with her.

And I don't thing people who hasn't read the original books or played the games will fully understand what happened in the show. Because they cut a lot of important and key in formations out, like what is a witcher, where they come, why people hate them, what is Dryad, why human fears them(they looks like normal human in the show)...etc.

The musics and battle scene are good. But the visual effects feels very cheap.

Overall, it's not a bad show, but is not good as well.
  3. Dec 20, 2019
    Don't you feel disconnected from the show when everything, even light, is post processed, and so... Fake? I do not care about book or game fidelity but this is just not good drama.
  4. Dec 21, 2019
    Casting is bad with a few exceptions. (Did a hit job on the Elder Races/Dryads) The pacing of the story is jarring and the story itself lacks gravitas, at times manages to be corny (Yenn swinging sword like a pro, mid fight peck with Geralt) Had they adopted a slower, more impactful approach, (Show us Geralt on a methodical hunt episode 1, not in an underwater rumble and cut scene) then weCasting is bad with a few exceptions. (Did a hit job on the Elder Races/Dryads) The pacing of the story is jarring and the story itself lacks gravitas, at times manages to be corny (Yenn swinging sword like a pro, mid fight peck with Geralt) Had they adopted a slower, more impactful approach, (Show us Geralt on a methodical hunt episode 1, not in an underwater rumble and cut scene) then we might have actually cared a little for the characters.

Wanted this to be good/great but has fallen on its face, which is disappointing considering the material they’ve had to work with.
  5. Dec 22, 2019
    Poland, 2017...creak of rocking chair...knock knock
    - «What the hell, who is there !?» - Andrzej Sapkowski grumbling asking from a chair.
    - «It's Lauren Hissrich, I am a professional writer» - voice from behind the door - «Get out! I didn't invite you» - Andrzej said even more grouchy. - «This is about buying rights to the TV adaptation of your books!» - Lauren objected. - «Well come
    Poland, 2017...creak of rocking chair...knock knock
    - «Get out! I didn't invite you» - Andrzej said even more grouchy.
    - «Well come in, the door isn't locked» - Andrzej said.
    Lauren Hissrich: «Netflix want make TV-adaptation your books»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «You mean The Witcher series?»
    Lauren Hissrich: «Yes, and I will be a showrunner»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «No, i don't like this idea, Lauren you even haven't serious creativity background!»
    Lauren Hissrich: «So what? When Benioff and Weiss became showrunners of Game of Thrones they also didn't have.»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «Yes, but Martin helped them for the first seasons. And, then in the last seasons, they just fu**ed up.»
    Lauren Hissrich: «You can become a co-showrunner.»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «Nope. Netflix makes trash stuff, I don't like it.»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «The Witcher is a large fantasy universe based on Slavic culture, folklore, as well as Slavic-Norse-Germanic mythology and tales. How can you adapt this?»
    Lauren Hissrich: «Diversity»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «But the Witcher world it's Europe in the Middle Ages.»
    Lauren Hissrich: «Are you racist?»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «Europe in the Middle Ages»
    Lauren Hissrich: «Netflix will pay you many $$$$$$$»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «The Witcher never been about Slavic culture, folklore, as well as Slavic-Norse-Germanic mythology, tales, you know. And Europe in the Middle Ages was multicultural, people of different races were everywhere in medieval Europe.»
    Andrzej Sapkowski: «So rights on the Witcher series sold!»

pros:

cons:
    - Absolutely, total miscast
    - It's all cheap, battles are terrible
    - Bad acting skills for all
    - Trying to please as newcomers as well fans of books/games. Eventually makes shapeless nonsense

Lauren you didn't disappoint, Netflix you too. Now it’s clear where the money, for minions writing the same type reviews 10/10
  6. Dec 21, 2019
    As long as show stays with Geralt`s storyline for first 2 or 3 episodes one can imagine this could be a very decent reimagening of Witcher`s Saga. Some storytelling problems along the way (Yennefer`s story mostly), but there is a window in future to explain some dialogues. So, you are still intrigued.

And then comes a complete clusterf**k of Disney-preteen-3rd wave feminazi dissasterous scanario. Not gonna spoil here - you really need to see it.

As a long time Witcher VG player and Slavic mithology enthusiast I`m completely shocked with incompetence screenplayers are steering this show forward.

Cats should not become a movie, Witcher should have not become a TV show. I have spoken.
  7. Dec 21, 2019
    The Witcher delivers a fantasy experience like none other---it's the kind of fantasy experience you haven't felt since a Sunday afternoon rerun of Xena: Warrior Princess came on after another Sunday afternoon rerun of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

Eesh...

...On the bright side, it's not a bad show to fall asleep to. It also works as effective background noise while doing housework.
  8. Dec 21, 2019
    Ужасный каст актеров, ужасный сценарий. Персонажи выглядят картонными, графика дешевой, а реквизит вообще взятым с помойки после других сериалов. Над сериалом не старались и не хотели вообще. Изначальной целью было навариться на известной франшизе, понапихать побольше чернокожих (эльфов лол), чтобы угодить всем. Потом прикрываться словами: -"Это ведь адаптация.".
    Любителям ведьмака, а
    Любителям ведьмака, а особенно фанатам этот сериал не зайдет, можете даже не начинать смотреть.
    До игры престолов ему еще 100 лет расти. Нетфликс портит всё до чего доберется.
  9. Dec 21, 2019
    Когда за дело берется SJW активистка, то получается то, что получилось. Откровенная избыточная толерантность делает свое дело.
    Я не надеялся на нечто хорошее, но тут совсем уж откровенное что попало. Пойду перечитаю отличные книги и переиграю отличные игры.
  10. Dec 21, 2019
    Terrible work, actors play, dialogues, there is no chemistry between the characters, they even delivered the same flooded scenes several times, the characters are not motivated, about their motivation and what happens, only because of the reading of the original. Didn't even try to do well.
  11. Dec 21, 2019
    Horrible cast and storytelling itself. It's an insult to fans. Looks like Netflix plans to destroy the magnificent story.
  12. Dec 21, 2019
    Слишком все толерантно. Плоой подбор актеров и нет той самой славянской атмосферы. Слабо!
  13. Dec 23, 2019
    Actually this isn't bad but... It's Witcher. This should be EPIC. Instead they create something usual.
    - Not canonical
    - Misscasting (triss, yen and other girl roles - no comments) - Poor backgrounds (scenes/actions/graphics) - Too mush tolerance for brutal east European fantasy This film try to please everyone but instead this film just please too much tolerant and casual people.
    - Not canonical
    - Misscasting (triss, yen and other girl roles - no comments)
    - Poor backgrounds (scenes/actions/graphics)
    - Too mush tolerance for brutal east European fantasy
    Witcher is brutal, no comprise and dark fantasy. But this is just a netflix teleshow.
  14. Dec 21, 2019
    a crumpled plot, Superman plays emotions from all his films. the graphics are terrible. the actors are wrongly chosen ... and of course the poor habit of writing tolerance. 1 point for Boevka and music.
  15. Dec 21, 2019
    I really wanted to watch this, I got through first episode, but I can;t stand casting, PC is a big problem.
  16. Dec 21, 2019
    The flaws of the first episode:
    1. The fight with kikimora was in the middle of nowhere. Instead of the usual swamp area, they decided to use some vomit graphics from the late 90s.
    2. The role of Renfrey completely failed. Instead of a person with a difficult fate and nature, we’ve got an offended “next door girl”. 3. The Witcher’s atmosphere has been **** up. We’ve like it in video
    The flaws of the first episode:
    3. The Witcher’s atmosphere has been **** up. We’ve like it in video games. But we haven't seen any of it on the screen. Btw, blacks in the world of slavic fantasy look as foolish as penguins in the midle of savannah.
    5. Designer responsible for the nilf armor should be kicked out of the profession. And Lauren Schmidt should take less vine and pay more attention to organization of the filming process.
    6. Battle scene - main nominee for the award "Shame of the year".
    7. Soundtracks of the series in quality lose to tracks from free libraries.
    8. The motivation of characters is not disclosed. Actually, nobody tries.
  17. Dec 20, 2019
    Cringe filled oversimplified fan-fiction, like game of thrones from season 5 onwards but cheaper and with the worst casting and costume design I've ever seen.
  18. Dec 21, 2019
    this is just soooo bad on so many levels... if i didnt read books i would be confused af and still the story is a mess... cgi and costumes are low grade quality level like from 90s, cast is terrible and its again showed that diversity = less white people. Theres no respect for the source material at all. Nilfgaards looks like fantasy badguys from 15yo kid fanfiction and the battle is justthis is just soooo bad on so many levels... if i didnt read books i would be confused af and still the story is a mess... cgi and costumes are low grade quality level like from 90s, cast is terrible and its again showed that diversity = less white people. Theres no respect for the source material at all. Nilfgaards looks like fantasy badguys from 15yo kid fanfiction and the battle is just garbage with no proper combat choreography. I knew that soyflix will ruin it and i wasnt wrong. I would give 1 for Cavil but the blackwashing here is just too bad. Pls Expand
  19. Dec 21, 2019
    Even without looming giant of the games and books, the show in itself is ATROCIOUS! Horrible writing, bad acting, cheap CGI and costume design, music... composer tried to capture(copy) that feel from the games and failed miserably. Wokenisation is worse than in any other fantasy adaptation. Do not waste your time, better spend your money on games and books about true Witcher.
  20. Dec 21, 2019
    Henry is great. Unfortunately, that is not enough.
  21. Dec 21, 2019
    Дань уважения всему славянскому эпосу в виде огромного, черного, толерастического болта
  22. Dec 21, 2019
    Надежды были до последнего. Но. Ужасно всё. И лишь Плотва идеально сыграла свою роль...
  23. Jun 19, 2020
    I guess it's okay. As someone who have read the books, the first season seemed not as confusing as for people who just met this series, but at the same time some moments were painful to watch - a lot of adaptation imagination.
  24. Dec 20, 2019
    Унылый сериал, ГГ не вписывается в параметры. Есть инфа что челики засыпают на 1-2й серии.
  25. Dec 20, 2019
    What I miss the most is good dialogues and good acting. Cavill as Geralt is fine, but the rest of the cast is an abomination. I cannot empathize with any of the characters, they al seem modern actors not prepared to incarnate pithy fantasy characters. The dialogues obviously do not help at all. I don't believe in this mythology that they are trying to convey, their words doesn'tWhat I miss the most is good dialogues and good acting. Cavill as Geralt is fine, but the rest of the cast is an abomination. I cannot empathize with any of the characters, they al seem modern actors not prepared to incarnate pithy fantasy characters. The dialogues obviously do not help at all. I don't believe in this mythology that they are trying to convey, their words doesn't communicate reliability or seriousness. I miss real drama in here. People tend to think that fantasy worlds cannot have dramatic plots, rich narratives and poetic backgrounds, but that was precisely what made Game of Thrones so big. The photography is nice, the setting location was a good choice (thumbs up for the Canary Islands) and even the fighting choreography is pretty decent. I give them that. Nevertheless, I will never take this tv show seriously because it lacks authenticity and credibility. The actors and actresses are not believing in their lines. It's like watching puppets (Not Herson's puppets, that's otherworldly). They are dressed and equipped with fantasy kits but they don't believe in fantasy as a legitimate genre. The show hasn't got a soul. It has beautiful facade but not a single glimpse of heart. It is really dissapointing to see once again how producers take fantasy for granted as a tradable currency. Good fantasy requires a tremendous delicacy and touch and over all good lines for the characters, to make them feel alive and important. Expand
  26. Dec 21, 2019
    Нет духа "Ведьмака" из книг. Совсем. Нет ни капли той глубины и атмосферы, что были в книгах. Всё карикатурно. Актёры играют свои роли не очень хорошо, все какие-то деревянные, брёвна ходячие. Монстры и эльфы нарисованы ужасно - в частности, от сильвана и эльфов во 2 серии чуть не ослеп, лопни мои глаза! Сюжет подаётся очень плохо, обрывками и недоговорками; те, кто не читал книг, поймут иНет духа "Ведьмака" из книг. Совсем. Нет ни капли той глубины и атмосферы, что были в книгах. Всё карикатурно. Актёры играют свои роли не очень хорошо, все какие-то деревянные, брёвна ходячие. Монстры и эльфы нарисованы ужасно - в частности, от сильвана и эльфов во 2 серии чуть не ослеп, лопни мои глаза! Сюжет подаётся очень плохо, обрывками и недоговорками; те, кто не читал книг, поймут и ещё меньше в повествовании. Боёвка не плоха. Expand
  27. Dec 21, 2019
    Unfortunately, the Witcher cannot defeat the Game of Thrones. What catches the eye, the miscast of some actors, the low budget of many scenes, in the first episodes there is a very torn narration and poor work with the original source. But the last episodes are getting rid of some of these problems, I hope that further the series will change in the same direction. Very pleased with theUnfortunately, the Witcher cannot defeat the Game of Thrones. What catches the eye, the miscast of some actors, the low budget of many scenes, in the first episodes there is a very torn narration and poor work with the original source. But the last episodes are getting rid of some of these problems, I hope that further the series will change in the same direction. Very pleased with the game of all the actors, many give their best and the soundtrack is incomparable.
    But the question remains open whether this series was really needed or whether it was better to create your own stor?
  28. Dec 21, 2019
    As a slavic person I find this show utterly racist.
    Slavic nationality has no history with black people.
    There were not any black servants or warriors in Eastern Europe.
    There were tatar asians but those which are depicted are from different ethnicity.
    On top of that acting is horrible.
    Plot is horrible.
    This show does not deserve a 2nd season.
  29. Dec 20, 2019
    Морально я уже был готов, что некоторые поступки героев они поменяют местами. Но просто резать богатый лор напильником... И эти совершенно пустые диалоги...
  30. Dec 20, 2019
    This is what happens when you push a modern, tolerant agenda into a series on Slavic fantasy and ignore the canon of original books.
  31. Dec 21, 2019
    I mean, that Star Trek would be weird if white actors play there only. "European Middle Age World" would be weird with mix black and white people, which live together. This is uncanny valley.
  32. Dec 23, 2019
    Ничего не ожидал от этого сериала после просмотра трейлеров. Актеры подобраны ужасно. Манера повествования ужасная, если зритель не читал книгу то он вообще не поймет что происходит. Да, это адаптация книги а не игры, но так бездарно все провалить нужно еще уметь.
    Первые серии еще можно смотреть, но чем дальше тем хуже. Когда я увидел Вильгефорца(главного антагониста книг), то захотел заплакать и выключить сериал, это уже перебор. Можно много критиковать его, потому что он вышел действительно ужасным. Очень обидно за Ведьмака, очень. Пусть они лучше на этом и закончат, надеюсь если его разгромят то дальше первого сезона дело не пойдет. Одним словом ТОЛЕРАНТНОСТЬ !
  33. Dec 21, 2019
    Я ждал 4 года,а в итоге это.Плюсы 1.Лютик ,который хоть как-то создает атмосферу и радует глаз. 2.Сцены сражения Ведьмака с людьми ,все сцены фехтования очень хороши ,но против людей !!.На этом плюсы закончились .Минусы. Плохой кастинг актеров от первого плана до массовки(кроме Лютика и Цири и иногда Геральда ).Плохая работа костюмеров.Плохие декорации и локации,можно было снять дешевлеЯ ждал 4 года,а в итоге это.Плюсы 1.Лютик ,который хоть как-то создает атмосферу и радует глаз. 2.Сцены сражения Ведьмака с людьми ,все сцены фехтования очень хороши ,но против людей !!.На этом плюсы закончились .Минусы. Плохой кастинг актеров от первого плана до массовки(кроме Лютика и Цири и иногда Геральда ).Плохая работа костюмеров.Плохие декорации и локации,можно было снять дешевле ,ближе и на родине славян и без личного самолета.Все пейзажи не из европы 13 века,а из новой зеландии про Хоббитов. Костюмы и спец эффекты связанные с чудовищами ,это либо плохой костюм ,либо отвратительный хромакей.Сценарий отвратителен, никому не нужные скачки во времени и просто иногда тупые развязки событий,сценарист при прочтении книги ,должен был понять что Сабковский так себе писатель и нужно было только вдохновляться его книгой ,а не делать сериальную копию.Сабковский стал известен только благодаря играм !!!,его интересуют только деньги !!!почитайте его интервью иму пофиг на сериал ,он даже не знает как должны выглядеть его персонажи .CD PROJECT RED сделали хорошую игру потому что взяли идею ведьмака,а не книгу .Даже в Польше не многие слышали о ведьмаке.Многие игроки даже не знали что игра сделана по книге .NETFLIX зачем вы дали Лоуренс такие права и столько денег ,на что ,зачем .Я посмотрел залпом 8 серий и остался очень разочарован этим сериалом .И даже тот факт что 8 серий вышло ,все равно не является концовкой первого сезона,они даже не пытались подарить микроконцовку ,они настолько были уверены в себе ,что позволили себе перенести финал первого сезона во второй .Этот сериал ,это не история о ведьмаке который убивает и охотиться на чудовищ,это не историю о ведьмаке который спит с каждой женщиной ,это история о подкаблучнике Геральде и его Предназначении .Один Лютик сделал больше чем весь каст актеров.И Геральд даже и от него избавляется .НЕТФЛИКС вы убили мечту ,которую я ждал с выхода 3 ведьмака.!!!!!!Этот сериал вышел, стало быть где-нибудь сидит же на белом свете и тот кто оформил подписку на нетфликс . Expand
  34. Dec 20, 2019
    SJW & Feminists **** has nothing to do with the witcher at all. Made to make all the minorities happy, but not the actual lore fans. Please be aware when you watch it, contains a total miscast of 90% of the characters.
  35. Dec 20, 2019
    I have mixed opinion about first two episodes but, man, this show is growing after with every episode, and it has very strong ending.
  36. Dec 20, 2019
    Hennry is good as Gerals everything else is not good. The Witcher should be on slavic culture not on western and there this show lost it s soul.
    I would get 0 score but i will get 3 just because of Hennry.
  37. TIZ
    Dec 20, 2019
    Great so far, already reviewed it. I guess this is a second link that leads to the individual season?
    Really annoying, why did metacritic introduce this?
  38. Dec 20, 2019
    Bad acting backed up by even worst writing. Convoluted plot of the first episode made from various bits and pieces of at least two short stories was just a preview of how much Netflix writers can turn masterpiece into a piece of crap.

This, plus terrible dialogs, utterly craptastic casting choices and just low overall quality of the show force me to pick the lesser evil (which is give this show a 1 and warn all of you!)
  39. Dec 20, 2019
    Horrible scenario, incredibly far from original book storyline.
    Very strange cast, looks like Hercules Legendary Journey on steroids :) Good try but still far from good story.
    Horrible scenario, incredibly far from original book storyline.
    With series storyline very hard to understand any motivation for heroes and their feelings. Author's says that they very closest to book... No. They cut off everything what possible. Dialodues empty but pretentious. Another one good franchise completely wasted. Story parts changed and this not a good changes for understanding chronology.
    Anyway, I don't want to see second season. Can't recommend this series for anyone who already read books or played games series.
  40. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. С первых секунд первой серии возникает масса вопросов -
    1. Как в этой маленькой луже боролся Геральд и здоровенная неведомая бабуйня, при этом абсолютно не баламутя воду и не пугая чертового оленя? Вот..как?
    2. Ох уж эти голые, но стыдливо прикрытые, сисечки в кадре. Ох уж эти пустые стерильные улицы и интерьеры без признаков жизни. Ох уж эти драматичные несуразные паузы и.......абсолютно каменные лица актеров. Даже, черт побери, в легенькой эротической сцене пугало безэмоциональность момента.
    3. Сама сюжетная линия скачет, нет ритма в монтаже, который не заставляет перематывать скучные нудные сцены.
    4. Целлофановые штаны Геральда...наглаженная одежда...чистенькие, вылизанные красивые не только основные актеры, но и массовка.
    5. Жуткая операторская работа - складывается ощущение, что всё снимается на широкоугольный объектив. Нет композиции и игры света. Как будто авторы сериала делали всё на скорую руку .
    Для меня первая серия превратилась в игру "найди десять нелепых вещей в кадре". Многое бросается в глаза. Сериал уровня конца 90х - начала 2000. Помните сериал "Удивительные странствия Геракла"? "Ведьмак" - это версия этого самого "Геракла", но с большим намеком на "серьезность", жуткой игрой актеров, и большим количеством спецэффектов.
  41. Dec 20, 2019
    The Witcher is a tutorial how to **** up 100% successful product, which gave the background of the saga.
    Lauren Schmidt is total a disaster!
    They were ruined EVERY aspects of it:plot, character motivation, music, camera work, cast. If you don`t know the lore it's hard to understand that the **** is happening and why. Ending of Cirila story in the 1st episode - hilariously stupid.
    Lauren Schmidt is total a disaster!
    Ending of Cirila story in the 1st episode - hilariously stupid.
    This is soooo sad that we don't get a good tv show of this great story so a long time
  42. Dec 20, 2019
    Полный мискаст с персонажами, отвратительный сюжет и конченная толерастия на каждом шагу. Плевок в лицо всем фанатам
  43. Dec 20, 2019
    Sadly, after watching the show i'm not impressed. The show doesn't explain much and it's like it expect from you to know the books and video games. I happened to play witcher 3 so i knew what i was getting into and yet i was still confused. But even if you're a big fan there's nothing to find here, poor cinematography, fight scenes are quite chaotic, and the dialogues are almost laughableSadly, after watching the show i'm not impressed. The show doesn't explain much and it's like it expect from you to know the books and video games. I happened to play witcher 3 so i knew what i was getting into and yet i was still confused. But even if you're a big fan there's nothing to find here, poor cinematography, fight scenes are quite chaotic, and the dialogues are almost laughable at moments - when the intention was for them to be serious. Expand
  44. Dec 20, 2019
    it feels like I watched fan fiction
    feels like i'm cheated
    fiction with rating 2/10
  45. Dec 21, 2019
    they just ruined it and shamed the witcher books and games.
    "the worst monsters are the ones we create" oh yes that right )
    Netflix is a human error.
  46. Dec 20, 2019
    I was gonna go more in depth, but honestly this trash isn’t worth it. It’s just bad. Maybe if you have some kind of WFBM fetish it’s for you, but if you’re looking for an entertaining fantasy romp or anything resembling the books or games, it’s not here.
  47. Dec 20, 2019
    I knew it would be terrible as soon as they released the awful, inappropriate casting, and I was right. Netflix has no respect for plot, theme, or source material.
  48. Dec 20, 2019
    Take a game and lore and books people love, and twist and ruin them. Great main lead choice... everything else is sad. Where is TRISS!
  49. Dec 20, 2019
    Terrible writing, terrible casting, absolutely revolting. Shame to see such a good setting get this kind of treatment.
  50. Dec 20, 2019
    if disney and porn made a baby. that's what will happen also, bad costumes, with a mix of bad cgi and acting,
  51. Dec 20, 2019
    Terrible. Terrible writing. Terrible characters (with one exception). Terrible music. Terrible decision to change the book story. Simply Terrible
  52. Dec 20, 2019
    Terrible adaptaition.
    Terrible cast.
    Terrible fights.
    Just a spitt in my soul
  53. Dec 21, 2019
    This is an awesome show, for 1990s. If it aired in that time it could be a rival for a Xena: Warrior Princess. Dialogues and actors performance are probably on a same level.
  54. Dec 21, 2019
    Все гірше ніж я розраховував. Серіал виглядає дешево через жахливі костюми та декорації. Актори катастрофічно не підходять на свої ролі (Крім Цірі). Єфекти на рівні б-муві кінця нульових.
    Подача сюжету рвана та невиразна, враження ніби дивишся огляд того, що було у попередніх серіях.
    Дуже помітно, що творці цього серіалу не орієнтуються у жанрі фентезі та не знайомі з історією середньовічної Європи на яку відьмача сага опирається. Все виглядає як фанатське кінце з Ютюбу.
    З позитивних моментів можу виділити тільки музику. Категорично не раджу.
  55. Dec 20, 2019
    This is just an epic failure, ladies and gentlemen. Bravo! Bravo! My congratulations!
  56. Dec 20, 2019
    Netflix ruins yet another popular franchise by inserting woke politics and casting C-grade talent. Hard pass!
  57. Dec 20, 2019
    Nailed it.

Cavill lives and breathes the role.

The production values are off the hook too, slow burn, but worth the wait!!
  58. Dec 20, 2019
  59. Dec 20, 2019
    This is an amazing show, characters, visuals, something fresh, lore, everything is there! Story is a bit bumpy but the books themselves had story problems, and did not care enough to present the lore. The books almost did not care about explaining every single lore details, Sapkowski pushed you to deep water so you would learn how to swim yourself and it is freaking awesome!

P.S. the guys

P.S. the guys from entertainment weekly demonstrate total unprofessionalism, the review has to be banned since it is really bias and clearly not applicable since reviewer saw only one episode. I wish metacritic had a function to report this kind of “reviews”
  60. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible writing, and even worse casting drive this franchise headfirst into the ground. Awful waste of such a great property. Expand
  61. Dec 20, 2019
    Отвратительный подбор актеров, не возможно смотреть на этих людей не скривив рожу. Сюжет вырван и подан кусками. Как о ожидалось полный провал. Жаль, вселенная Ведьмака была очень перспективна
  62. Dec 20, 2019
    Terrible. Not even close to the lore of the books. Bad acting, bad directing, and the worst part of all is the casting - the showrunner calls it "diversity" but it seems to only work that way when non-white folks are cast to play characters who are supposed to be white - if it was the other way around it would be publicly (and appropriately) called racism. It looks to me like theTerrible. Not even close to the lore of the books. Bad acting, bad directing, and the worst part of all is the casting - the showrunner calls it "diversity" but it seems to only work that way when non-white folks are cast to play characters who are supposed to be white - if it was the other way around it would be publicly (and appropriately) called racism. It looks to me like the showrunner & directors just decided to do their own thing and call it "The Witcher" just to try to drum up attention by using the title of a well-known series. Having read all the books twice, and played all the games many times, I can certainly confirm that this is not "The Witcher"...at best it's bad fan fiction. Expand
  63. Dec 20, 2019
    Сказать, что меня бомбит ничего не сказать. У меня в Минске во время просмотра данного сериала столбик термометра поднялся до +50. Во что превратили броню нильфов? Теперь понятно почему у Цири были кошмары. Про Йен, Трис, Фрингилью Виго и Дриад из Бруклина я вообще молчу. Да и в целом про этот "славянский контингент". Это просто плевок во всю славянскую культуру и мифологию. Неужели такСказать, что меня бомбит ничего не сказать. У меня в Минске во время просмотра данного сериала столбик термометра поднялся до +50. Во что превратили броню нильфов? Теперь понятно почему у Цири были кошмары. Про Йен, Трис, Фрингилью Виго и Дриад из Бруклина я вообще молчу. Да и в целом про этот "славянский контингент". Это просто плевок во всю славянскую культуру и мифологию. Неужели так сложно придерживаться канона? Создатели сериала вообще знают как славяне выглядят? Expand
  64. Dec 21, 2019
    Nędzota, festiwal poprawności politycznej. Czarne driady, murzyni rycerze i czarne elfy w strefie klimatu umiarkowanego tworzą niewiarygodny świat. Wisienką na torcie jest olewcze podejście do fabuły książek i kiepskie efekty specjalne. Jedyne plusy: sceny walk i role henrego cavilla i Jaskra
  65. Dec 20, 2019
    Как ведьмак -1/10 как обычный сериал 3/10, но в названии Ведьмак. Плохо во всем, диалоги глупые, происходящее не логично, декорации не натуральны, костюмы и образы отвратные. Единственное где не налажали, это озвучка.
  66. Dec 20, 2019
    Great action, captures the essence of the books. Needs improvement on pacing.
  67. Dec 20, 2019
    Theres only one hour from the release yet and some critics are already writing about how slow and weird is this series. If you want to find out go watch it and discover for yourself, for now its been really faithful to the witcher books and the plot is already showing itself. Let's take this first season with a good look because we know how hard is to have something on this caliber relatedTheres only one hour from the release yet and some critics are already writing about how slow and weird is this series. If you want to find out go watch it and discover for yourself, for now its been really faithful to the witcher books and the plot is already showing itself. Let's take this first season with a good look because we know how hard is to have something on this caliber related to video games and nerd world. And honestly? im on the second episode and so far its been really good. Expand
  68. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hollywood Fan SJW Fiction...
    With Bad Costumes, Bad Acting, Bad Scenario, Owful Fighting.
    Where is Geralts CAT EYES?!
    No Slavic authentic flavor ofcourse.... This is called terrible adaptation.
    When almost nothing remains of two sources of the original.
    Where are Geralts big SCARS?! Seriously? This is how must look scars on face of monster killer?!
    Those Ciri Lenses made me cry with tears of blood.
    Why do actors have stone faces in such serious scenes, such as at the time of the death of the queen ?!
    And my goodness, this propaganda of radical feminism is easily visible in the script and it is disgusting.
    So many bad men and so few bad women.
    The scenes of grabbing with a bare hand for the blade of a sword and the armor of nilfgaards are just ridiculous.
    Which by the way are invaders who conquer the whole world on foot apparently.
    It’s sad to see such good actor Henry Kevill, starring in such an frankly weak series.
  69. Dec 20, 2019
    Очередная жертва грязных рученок нетфликс, с абсолютно наплевательским отношением к первоисточнику, с целью срубить денег на расхайпленном бренде. Хотите ознакомиться со вселенной ведьмака? - читайте книги. Достойной экранизации, увы нет.Очередная жертва грязных рученок нетфликс, с абсолютно наплевательским отношением к первоисточнику, с целью срубить денег на расхайпленном бренде. Хотите ознакомиться со вселенной ведьмака? - читайте книги. Достойной экранизации, увы нет.
  70. Dec 20, 2019
    Really just makes a hash of so many things. This does very little to please those who read the books, does nothing to draw in anyone who only know the games, does everything to please the writing staff. Good god the forest of Brokilon, enough said.
  71. Dec 20, 2019
    i honestly started with a clear mind,but it was clear from the first two episodes that everything good in the books was thrown out of the window,the casting is horrible apart from henry cavill,the effects used are quite poor and overall the series feels cheap.
  72. Dec 20, 2019
    I don`t want to write a lot about that fact that the casting completely disagrees with descriptions of characters in series of novels. That is just one of disadvantages. Hell with it! I want to pay more attention to the hypocrisy of the showrunners. I read plenty of times that the book’s plot would be adapted to the scenario, but….Is it really possible to spoil the story so badly? JustI don`t want to write a lot about that fact that the casting completely disagrees with descriptions of characters in series of novels. That is just one of disadvantages. Hell with it! I want to pay more attention to the hypocrisy of the showrunners. I read plenty of times that the book’s plot would be adapted to the scenario, but….Is it really possible to spoil the story so badly? Just total discrepancy.

1. Renfri. Are you serious? How can you surpass in lying the story?
    2. Yennefer can fight with a sword and pirouette. What?? Are you sure that you have read books?
    3. The Dragon. Do you really call that thing a dragon? Is it really an ancient creature? It looks like more like a hen.
    4. The pursuers with portal openings. What?? How long can you lie about book adaption? Or do you really consider an adaption that 50% ad libbing that you squeezed in the TV series?
    5. I remember the vividly described episode of capturing Ciri by Cahir in Cintra. I remember that she woke up in a cold sweat after that. And what am I watching now? It's awful. It is illustrated in such an awful manner that I can`t describe. You are professionals, aren’t you? How could you make such a ham-fisted film?
    6. Borch three jackdaws… jinn…wishes… Are you putting me on? I can’t really get how you can surpass in lying and spoil the story?

Well let's finish the list. Although I can go on for a long time and tell more about the facts of the book's plot sophisticating.
    At year-end 2019 you made a film version of a very popular saga. In fact you made visuals more like of trash films approximately 2005 year. Sometimes the visuals are so terrible that I gonna put my eyes out.
    The whole story-telling in TV series is quite an inconsequent one. There is lack of Witcher setting. In the fan film Alzur's legacy I can see it. And please note, the project was developed by fans for fans.

I don’t want to describe much how awful and characterless the book`s characters were adapted. Yennefers from book and TV series are two completely different persons. Henry Cavill tries to play his role but he tries too hard.
    You have just spoiled and eaten for breakfast the saga. I definitely will not recommend anyone to watch it.
    It looks like facts were taken from books and were given to ham-fisted person who didn’t know anything about these books. And then the person tried to create the book using those facts. In fact we have something with the same names but a completely different thing.
  73. Dec 20, 2019
    Per quanto ho visto fino ad ora (3 puntate), siamo messi malino.... attore improbabile, cast imbarazzante, linea narrativa non chiarissima se non si hanno letto i romanzi, scenografie povere con una fotografia da studio fotografico di borgata, musiche quasi mai all'altezza sino al punto più basso che mi è capitato di vedere, o meglio sentire.... la traduzione italiana dei berci diPer quanto ho visto fino ad ora (3 puntate), siamo messi malino.... attore improbabile, cast imbarazzante, linea narrativa non chiarissima se non si hanno letto i romanzi, scenografie povere con una fotografia da studio fotografico di borgata, musiche quasi mai all'altezza sino al punto più basso che mi è capitato di vedere, o meglio sentire.... la traduzione italiana dei berci di Ranuncolo.... Finiro sicuramente la visione della serie, ma temo faticherà molto a risollevarsi... Un fan letterario e videoludico profondamente deluso.... ma trattandosi di netflix, mi ero preparato emotivamente... Expand
  74. Dec 20, 2019
    Really **** casting, more focused on the usual hollywood political agenda than making a good show. Yet another good IP these rats have infested and destroyed. Don't watch unless you like wasting your time.
  75. Dec 20, 2019
    Série muito boa e que passa bem as coisas do livro, pois foi adaptado deles e não do jogo em si, qie na verdade se passam depois dos livros.
  76. Dec 20, 2019
    Henry Cavill is very good but other than that the show is a complete failure. It ahs absolutely none of the things that make The Witcher world such a great one.
  77. Dec 20, 2019
    Африканцы в Польше. Что???????? Смысл их было добавлять если их не было в восточной Европе, от слова совсем. Они просто не вписываются.
  78. Dec 20, 2019
    The story was awesome but there were some problems with time line but as a witcher fan i loved it
  79. Dec 20, 2019
    Half way through the first episode and this is FANTASTIC. As a HUGE fan of the books and also someone who enjoyed the games, this is really good so far!
  80. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wery boring serial and season... I cant watch more than 2 hours...i hope next season gonna be much more better - coz this one is so damn bad... Expand
  81. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. como alguem que jogou os jogos e leu os livros de the witcher eu achei bem ruimzinha o começo da serie,ela pulou varias partes importantes como o geralt falando com o intendente,pulou o primeiro encontro de geralt com calanthe a rainha de cinta,pulou a parte que morriam os pais da ciri e ja foi diretamente pra luta contra nilfgard Expand
  82. Dec 20, 2019
    It's worsest **** which I even see. With each new trailer I just make facepalm. Such perversion and deformation of Witcher world it's something behind edge. I hope, this show can be closed after first season.
  83. Dec 20, 2019
    Can't believe they failed this hard at capturing the look and feel of The Witcher. Netflix ruins everything they touch (see also: Death Note)
  84. Dec 20, 2019
    une des pire serie inventé
    pas du tout fidele est un geralt pas charismatique c'est dommage y avais du potentiel mais c'est arrivé sur netflix
  85. Dec 20, 2019
    A must see for anyone who loves fantastic, adult level nudity and great monsters. 4 episodes in, I need more than another 4!!!!
  86. rud
    Dec 21, 2019
    Слабая актерская, ноль уважения к первоисточнику. Перевран сюжет потеряны важные моменты.
  87. Dec 20, 2019
    Henry Cavill is a terrible choice as Geralt, way too pretty and smirky. Netflix sucks!
  88. Jun 14, 2020
    A spit on european / slavic folklore and culture. It's all cheap, battles are terrible. Horrible cast and storytelling itself. It's an insult to fans. Just a badly written fanfiction with some book stuff sprinkled here and there. It's not worth your time if you are a fan of the books and you want a loyal adaptation.
    Henry is great. Unfortunately, that is not enough. Looks like Netflix
    Henry is great. Unfortunately, that is not enough. Looks like Netflix plans to destroy the magnificent story.
  89. May 14, 2020
    The only positive thing about this series is the actors' game. This series is suitable only for those who are not familiar with the universe of the Witcher. The writers just didn't care about the original source. The biggest disappointment of the year for me :/
  90. May 15, 2020
    All the fantasy and sci-fi TV series from recent years that I've tried watching during the COVID-19 lock-down have suffered from the same thing: misandry. Yup, the elephant in the room. This is making them very predictable and therefore boring. It's as though they're all being written using the same formula of stereotyping, one-way physical and verbal abuse etc to the point where you canAll the fantasy and sci-fi TV series from recent years that I've tried watching during the COVID-19 lock-down have suffered from the same thing: misandry. Yup, the elephant in the room. This is making them very predictable and therefore boring. It's as though they're all being written using the same formula of stereotyping, one-way physical and verbal abuse etc to the point where you can predict the outcome of a scene based on the genders involved.

Andrzej Sapkowski's books are, for better or worse, classic sword-and-sorcery fare but the TV series is very much a feminist take on them. The Witcher isn't among the worst - I was very surprised to see Geralt head butt a woman - but it's still enough to make it a predictable tick-box yawnfest. Non-cannon music and contemporary phrases really don't help the immersion either.

Related to immersion, the source material (in which I include the video games) draws heavily on Polish and other European folklore. I have to be careful here, but imagine a fantasy series based on African folklore (which would be awesome!) with 'Caucasian' actors throughout. It would feel jarringly 'off'. Some of the casting choices, including Yennefer, Triss and the bard I think of as Dandelion, feel way off after the excellently portrayed characters of the video games.

Not popular opinions, I know, but it would be nice to see these TV series' mix it up a bit. This one, sadly, doesn't stand out from the crowd for me.
  91. Dec 23, 2019
    Fight scenes are great. Henry is great as Geralt. Freya is a good Ciri, but im still not convinced Anya was the best choice for Yen, even tho her acting skills are amazing for sure. The music is absolutely great.
    The cinematography needs to improve in season 2 as well as a lot of the CGI.
    The cinematography needs to improve in season 2 as well as a lot of the CGI.
    The camera work as well, and the effect where only the middle part of the screen is sharp while the top and bottom are kinda blurred which is in every episode needs to go, its horrible. There are times at which the camera angle and sometimes bad CGI make the show seem amateurish.
    I cannot speak much about the writing as i've read the books and writing these stories the way they are in the show seems kinda easy and maybe even lazy.
    If you read the books you'll be dissapointed at how much this is stripped down and rushed to make room for Yen's origin story which is boring and irrelevant. Unnecessary changes to the story throughout. No room to breathe or soak in the witcher atmosphere. Too much focus on Yennefer cause she's a strong WOMAN character and don't get me wrong, her character deserves the attention just not this early in the story and not at the mercy of the short stories. Also making her the ultimate hero goes against the essence of the books where noone is really a hero.

The show is quite decent but needs to improve in season 2 and follow the books more because even now in season 1 some things just dont make sense the way they are.(SPOILER) Like Ciri hugging Geralt who she'S never met before etc.

Hope next season get's more episodes and doesn't have to jump all around and fleshes out the story more.
  92. Jan 2, 2020
    The Witcher is okay... it never gets close to brilliance, but it isn't terrible either. It's somewhere in between passable and average.
    It lacks the magic that made both the books and the game so brilliant, but it does have some strong points; mainly Henry Cavill. He play's Geralt to almost perfection and looks exactly like the character in the game. The series would have worked much better if the focus was on Geralt, taking on a new Witcher contracts and fighting a different monster of the week each episode.
    Instead the series attempts to introduce the viewer to a ridiculously large cast of characters over a long period of time within the eight episodes, which ultimately leaves each character feeling flat. The story feels messy and without any on screen dates, or a map it is very hard to follow when and where the story is taking place.

The other major issue is that they made some strange choices with the casting of characters, forced diversity is squeezed into every shot to fill Netflix's bizarre and over the top diversity quotas. It just looks out of place having POC I a show based on Polish folklore. The show also focuses way to much on the female characters and side-lines Geralt.
    Triss was completely miss-cast and badly written and many of the other characters you will not care about.
    Visually The Witcher looks good, but lacks any grand vistas or scenes that made the game so spectacular. The CGI monsters are ropey and would have looked a lot better if they had been physically created.
    Apart from all the poor stuff mentioned above, I did really enjoy a number of the episodes, Betrayer Moon been amongst my favourites as it feels the most suited to a Witcher TV show.

As a fan of the games and books I’m pleased they made the show, and hopefully if it gets a season 2 it will be improved. I’d certainly recommend it to fans to watch (for curiosity) but I can’t see any non-Witcher fans getting much enjoinment from it.
  93. Dec 24, 2019
    The pacing and editing of the show are pretty bad. The multiple timelines are unforgivably confusing. Having read the books and played the games I knew what was going on but struggled to figure out why it was put together as such. A lot of it seemed really illogical. Overall the cast is fabulous and without them the show would not be watchable. I’m hoping as with the novels that after theThe pacing and editing of the show are pretty bad. The multiple timelines are unforgivably confusing. Having read the books and played the games I knew what was going on but struggled to figure out why it was put together as such. A lot of it seemed really illogical. Overall the cast is fabulous and without them the show would not be watchable. I’m hoping as with the novels that after the (fist two) things pick up and follow a more traditional narrative that makes for a much more compelling story. I’m hopeful. Expand
  94. Dec 23, 2019
    Henry and Anya are great and the action is solid. That said the terrible time skips ruin any type of build up. Very little world building or lore is given. I guess they assume you should know? Ciri's story should of been put thru out the final 3 episodes instead of the entire season. 2 episodes could of easily been combined since they are almost exactly the same footage with Geralt beingHenry and Anya are great and the action is solid. That said the terrible time skips ruin any type of build up. Very little world building or lore is given. I guess they assume you should know? Ciri's story should of been put thru out the final 3 episodes instead of the entire season. 2 episodes could of easily been combined since they are almost exactly the same footage with Geralt being in one of them to show he was there. Just poor decisions when editing this togather. I do hope it manages a season 2 to give it the respect it needs. Expand
  95. May 15, 2020
    Black villagers? Black elves? OMFG I just imagine that this **** doesn't exist.
  96. Jan 2, 2020
    It's ok. But it's NOT the real witcher. I like a people with money finally see goods in this GREAT witcher story. But they step away and loose sense of the original. In books there is much more moral, good jokes, hard actions, better fights and more real characters. In this TV show characters are good or bad. It's too simple. In books all characters have good and bad sides. This make toIt's ok. But it's NOT the real witcher. I like a people with money finally see goods in this GREAT witcher story. But they step away and loose sense of the original. In books there is much more moral, good jokes, hard actions, better fights and more real characters. In this TV show characters are good or bad. It's too simple. In books all characters have good and bad sides. This make to read so interesting, because it's not so predictable as TV show. If TV show auditory should be kids, then why are so many **** on the screen. If auditory should be 16+ (18+), then why characters and problems so simple and where is a real Witcher? I hope it will come some time, but not too late! Like "Lord of the rings" in it's time. Expand
  97. Dec 25, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When will any streamer, or for that matter any network at all create a show that has fantasy in reality structure and not based on a series of books which cannot ever be plowed into a reasonably watchable scripted series. Such is the case with The Witcher, an uneven oft times annoying treatment of the video game and subsequent books that came before it. A usually loquacious and amiable Henry Cavill is relegated to grunting monosyllabic answers and surly undertones. The storyline is a wandering mishmash of "you're supposed to already know the language and dialogue and dialects of the inhabitants of The Witcher milieu" tropes. I wanted to like the series, but again I was both annoyed and disturbed by the lack of great storytelling this kind of material needs. And lets not forget the Bard who makes his appearance in episode 2, to the dismay of both and Gerald of Rivia and everyone else I have canvassed. Come on Netflix, lets dispense with this adaptation of novels and video games and give some real show runner creators a chance to create something totally original and geared towards an audience that is hip, smart, and waiting for you and Amazon and Apple TV and Hulu and Peacock and everyone see to step up to the plate.(At least Amazon tried to do this with Carnival row, which I am sad to say was also a miss the mark presentation) the Wticher, for all its video game and novel appeal is a distinct disappointment. Expand
  98. Dec 28, 2019
    People tend to compare the Witcher to Game of Thrones but that's probably the wrong take. The show never wants to be any serious and it never actually tries to achieve any depth or nuanced meaning that would elevate it above the usual cheesy sword and sorcery pulp fantasy. The Witcher is more like a 2019 version of Xena or Hercules. It's an anachronism that acts like Game of Thrones andPeople tend to compare the Witcher to Game of Thrones but that's probably the wrong take. The show never wants to be any serious and it never actually tries to achieve any depth or nuanced meaning that would elevate it above the usual cheesy sword and sorcery pulp fantasy. The Witcher is more like a 2019 version of Xena or Hercules. It's an anachronism that acts like Game of Thrones and other groundbreaking TV shows in the past 10 or 20 years never happened and that shows like Xena or Stargate were still the pinnacle of great TV entertainment. The show can only be seen as naive fun but not as anything with a serious message or story. It's only fitting that its budget seems to be severly limited, resulting in poor costumes, ridiculously poor attle scenes, completely unbelievable medieval weaponry and fighting and bad CGI and special effects.

The Netflix adaption also shows no respect and has no understanding of its own source material. It lacks all the core strings of the novels, like the Slavic melancholia, its nuanced but very down to earth dialogues, its lifelike and nuanced characters, its complex political and societal elements, and most important, everything about Geralt's and Ciri's relationship and the true meaning of destiny. It only adds to the the show's mediocrity that it has a terrible "telling instead of showing" habit that results in bad dialogues and many repetitions. The show also only rarely cares to show its characters motivations. They just act because they plot needs them to act in a certain way.

If the prospect of a shallow pulp fantasy show with the flair of the old cheesy sword&sorcery series of the 1990s and early 2000s the Witcher might be exactly your kind of thing. Or maybe you only want the characters from the games be part in a series? Have fun watching it, it won't do you any harm. Anybody looking for a deep and nuanced show that builds upon everything that happend in the genre in the past 10 years or a show that transports the core elements of its source material should maybe skip and watch something else - or just (re-)read Andrzej Sapkowski's fantastic novels.
  99. Dec 23, 2019
    TL;DR :Bad choices in story telling and casting make the Witcher series lose what made the Witcher books/games interesting.

I see a lot of fans reviewing unrealistically either giving it a 10 because they ae fans and love the Witcher games/books and want this to succeed or a 0 by the fans who are pissed of that the show is kind of average virtue signaling bs that does not work with the Witcher setting. The reality is that this show is just average TV with nothing to recommend to anyone new and disappointing for existing fans. So a rating of 5 to 7 is the best it cloud do given the production company the show runner that does not understand the source material and Slavic mentality that produced the Witcher books and what made them unique as compared to the **** of similar fantasy drivel available by native English speakers.

The only character from this show that are good are: the actors for Geralt, Queen Calante, Mousesack, Eist.Pavetta and Tissaia everyone else is not portrayed well either due to directing/writing or bad acting (although this is not much of an issue).
    Very little left of what made the books and games interesting (read all and played all). I had low expectations due to the "diversity hires" (which make for some WTF moments) but that is the least of the problems in the show. The main problem is the story telling, you get most of the end at the beginning which could work if the series was a movie and moved way faster than it does. The bad interweaving of the different story line makes things even worse because it is just pointlessly confusing especially for people new to the series (if you are one of those please read the books they are much better). The really missed opportunity is that the first two books that this season is based on are composed of short stories that could have made good introductory season.. After that there is enough content for at least 2-3 seasons.
    Yennefer should have been a supporting character until she was needed for the story instead we got a lot of torture porn that ruined her character based on a few lines of guessing by Geralt in the books, it does not help that the actress cannot convey a character that has age and experience hiding behind a pretty face instead we have a petulant child as Yennefer.

Comparing this to GOT is a joke since this is a 3 compared to seasons 1-4 of GOT and barely better than season 8.
  100. Dec 27, 2019
    Perhaps this show is drawing in people who love soap opera's posing as fantasy and thus the discrepancy between viewers comments and critics. I love fantasy, and good storytelling. This is poorly made. Henry Cavill is great but miscast here. Sets too clean and boring. My disbelief was not suspended. Racial inclusiveness is important but at the cost of good storytelling? Poor choice in showrunn

Mixed or average reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Nick Hilton
    Jan 3, 2020
    The Witcher is a messy tangle of plotlines in a world underdeveloped to the point of obscurity.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Power
    Jan 3, 2020
    As a mindless fantasy rollercoaster, Geralt’s journey is five stars all the way to tea-time. Sadly, for those who like brains with their brawn, it may be more of a slog.
  3. Reviewed by: Judy Berman
    Dec 20, 2019
    It takes a while for viewers to learn how these characters are connected, via an exasperating Westworld-esque narrative knot that takes much of the season to unfurl. ... The Witcher heightens our confusion by fumbling details that would have helped it set a cohesive tone. Dialogue vacillates, from line to line, between theatrical fantasy-speak and modern colloquialisms (“Dragons are, in fact, a thing!”).