7.5

Watch Now

Buy on

1. Apr 13, 2015
    Make no mistake -- this is not "Marvel's Wolf Hall." This is a low-action show and all the better for it. "Wolf Hall" is a measured telling of the story of Thomas Cromwell (not one of the revolutionary Cromwells) who by his wits and personal skill in dealing with people becomes Kin g Henry VIII's number one adviser and counsellor. Cromwell is played by Mark Rylance, one of England'sMake no mistake -- this is not "Marvel's Wolf Hall." This is a low-action show and all the better for it. "Wolf Hall" is a measured telling of the story of Thomas Cromwell (not one of the revolutionary Cromwells) who by his wits and personal skill in dealing with people becomes Kin g Henry VIII's number one adviser and counsellor. Cromwell is played by Mark Rylance, one of England's greatest contemporary stage actors. He is well known on Broadway, but not on American television. Rylance is welcome on my TV set at any time. Damian Lewis (Homeland) as Henry and Mark Gattis (writer of, and actor in, "Sherlock") round out the leads in this overall excellent case. The show is, indeed, a bit slow and very talky, and entirely fascinating. If you haven't been watching "Wolf Hall", hie thyself to On Demand post haste. Expand
  2. Apr 7, 2015
    The first hour was damn near perfect. Beautiful soundtrack, gorgeously shot, top-notch acting. It is slower paced, but never boring. I can't wait to soak in the final five hours as many say the acting talent pays off in stellar moments later.
  3. Apr 26, 2015
    Wonderfully cast with an exceptionally good Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell. This shakes of the old schoolbook notions of who these people were and gives us a re-interpretation that is thrilling to behold. The writing is thought provoking and makes history come to life in every single character who appears on screen without patronising an audience who may, or may not, know their TudorWonderfully cast with an exceptionally good Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell. This shakes of the old schoolbook notions of who these people were and gives us a re-interpretation that is thrilling to behold. The writing is thought provoking and makes history come to life in every single character who appears on screen without patronising an audience who may, or may not, know their Tudor history. This is so much better than the play seen in London's West End. Stunningly good. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2015
    This show tells the story of Thomas Cromwell, which is probably little known to most. A good performance from Mark Rylance helps this show move forward, and it has a good cast. The second episode was a bit of a step down, but it's the right kind of show for Masterpiece on PBS.
  5. May 23, 2015
    Not particularly accurate from a historical perspective, but very entertaining, well written and acted. Be warned, it is a slower paced show than most these days, but if you keep with it, its rewarding.
  6. Apr 18, 2015
    An enjoyable look at an important historical figure. This program gives a background to Oliver Cromwell. I do not recall any other historical program which has done so. As always with PBS Masterpiece, the main story line has added subtleties. The scenery, clothing, and ways they did things back in the 1500's I'm sure are historically accurate which adds enjoyment to this drama. I'veAn enjoyable look at an important historical figure. This program gives a background to Oliver Cromwell. I do not recall any other historical program which has done so. As always with PBS Masterpiece, the main story line has added subtleties. The scenery, clothing, and ways they did things back in the 1500's I'm sure are historically accurate which adds enjoyment to this drama. I've been a fan of many of PBS Masterpiece Theatre since the 1960' or 1970's. A fascinating, well scripted part of history. Expand
  7. Jan 8, 2016
    This is hands down my favorite show of 2016, so far--which admittedly is only 8 days old, but still! I think once thing to note is that this is *not* a typical period piece production, for the better. The sets are resplendent and the acting is superb, the accents (I'm assuming) are close, but there is so much more to this show than that. In the way that you watch a Kubrick or Malick movieThis is hands down my favorite show of 2016, so far--which admittedly is only 8 days old, but still! I think once thing to note is that this is *not* a typical period piece production, for the better. The sets are resplendent and the acting is superb, the accents (I'm assuming) are close, but there is so much more to this show than that. In the way that you watch a Kubrick or Malick movie and there is some ineffable quality to it, this movie captures that. Imagine a far more interesting and intriguing "Barry Lyndon," Kubrick's rumination on light and shadow, with a dash of dialogue. This on the other hand, captures all the superb design and production of that, but with dialogue and pacing that keeps the story moving, even though you already know the ending (everyone dies in Tudor England.) Lastly, the music is a total joy to listen to and sets the scene perfectly, in a way that no period drama has done for me, ever.

Highly recommend.
  8. Apr 3, 2016
    -Wolf Hall is a British television serial first broadcast on BBC Two in January 2015. The six-part series is an adaptation of two of Hilary Mantel's novels, Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, a highly fictionalised biography documenting the rapid rise to power of Thomas Cromwell in the court of Henry VIII through to the death of Sir Thomas More, followed by Cromwell's success in freeing-Wolf Hall is a British television serial first broadcast on BBC Two in January 2015. The six-part series is an adaptation of two of Hilary Mantel's novels, Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, a highly fictionalised biography documenting the rapid rise to power of Thomas Cromwell in the court of Henry VIII through to the death of Sir Thomas More, followed by Cromwell's success in freeing the king of his marriage to Anne Boleyn. Wolf Hall was first broadcast in April in the United States on PBS and in Australia on BBC First.

-The series was a critical success and received eight nominations at the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards and three nominations at the 73rd Golden Globe Awards, winning for Best Miniseries or Television Film.

--Reception:

-Critics have been "almost unanimous" in their praise of the show with particular reference to the costumes, sets and direction, as well as the performances of Rylance as Cromwell and Foy as Anne Boleyn. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the show a 100% rating based on 29 reviews with an average rating of 8.6/10. The critical consensus reads: "Beautifully filmed and brilliantly acted, Wolf Hall masterfully brings Hilary Mantel's award-winning novels to life." Sam Wollaston in The Guardian called it "sumptuous, intelligent, event television."
  9. Sep 27, 2015
    Stunning. You've seen this (hi)story before but never like this. I have not read the novels on which it is based but this is uncompromisingly told. You know --sort of-- what's gong to happen but you can't stop watching, and being amazed. The actors are superb, much of the photography is dark and borderline scary but not for cheap effect. We are transported into the period, a long time agoStunning. You've seen this (hi)story before but never like this. I have not read the novels on which it is based but this is uncompromisingly told. You know --sort of-- what's gong to happen but you can't stop watching, and being amazed. The actors are superb, much of the photography is dark and borderline scary but not for cheap effect. We are transported into the period, a long time ago but it all comes to life. They say that TV dramas are getting better. I don't think anything can get much better than this. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Apr 27, 2015
    The show’s deliberately paced six hours turn out to be riveting, precisely because they are committed, without apology or, often, much explanation, to the esotericism of their subject matter.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Apr 17, 2015
    It’s beautifully filmed, with a measured pace and a priority on the performances.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 6, 2015
    It’s a lush production--The costumes! The locations!--that’s still appropriately gritty for its 1529 setting and sure to appeal to fans of historical fiction. But it may be a bit slow-paced for fans of Showtime’s “The Tudors,” which told the same story with more soapy shenanigans and gusto. Mr. Rylance gives a quietly commanding performance as the intelligent, politically astute Cromwell.