Animal Crossing: New Leaf 3DS

8.7

1. Jun 11, 2013
    I can see this will become addictive. If played for an hour a day it could be played for years. But it still feels pretty barren. It has charm but there still isn't enough stuff to do. I don't want to run out after an hour and wait till the next day to play. Fun though.
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    Refreshing style of game to play. Its hard to frown on it as this game is cheerful and brings joy when being played. Graphically the stands strong to other 3DS titles. The music is calming and the characters a lovable. Customization could have been better but it is in no way bad.
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    I have tried Wii and Nintendo DS' games but none of them captured me. I saw lots of trailers and critics and them I decided to buy.

The game is SO GREAT, it has lots of content and so many things to do! It's very refined with great graphics and rich soundtrack. The game has lots of ways to connect with friends through online visits real time in your city, local and also streetpass. They enabled a chat to talk to friends in diferents cities. I have never spent so many time playing a game as I'm doing with Animal Crossing New Leaf.
  4. Jun 13, 2013
    My first Animal Crossing game...and I'm hooked. I'm not usually into games of this type, but I gave it a try because a lot of folks at my office play it and it has multiplayer. The multiplayer on this game is top-notch, for the kind of game it is--nothing like taking a boat ride with three of your friends and running off to go diving, fishing, and scavenger hunting together.
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    Thank you Nintendo. I have been so in to Animal Crossing for years. I was very disappointed when "City Folk" ended up being a pretty straightforward port of the DS game. Finally we have a true successor to the Animal Crossing game. Whereas I found myself running out of things to do in the old games, I now have all sorts of things to keep me busy. New furniture, better AI dialogue, allThank you Nintendo. I have been so in to Animal Crossing for years. I was very disappointed when "City Folk" ended up being a pretty straightforward port of the DS game. Finally we have a true successor to the Animal Crossing game. Whereas I found myself running out of things to do in the old games, I now have all sorts of things to keep me busy. New furniture, better AI dialogue, all kinds of new features, and a more fleshed out multiplayer offering. All this, and Streetpass has finally given you a way to see what complete strangers are doing with their town. I love it. Expand
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    I have been playing video games all of my life. Every once in a while a game comes along that consumes me. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is one of the best video game experiences you will ever have if you are willing to explore it's hidden depth. It's a well known fact that this game is a little difficult to describe in terms of what makes it so fantastic, so I thought I would try to describeI have been playing video games all of my life. Every once in a while a game comes along that consumes me. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is one of the best video game experiences you will ever have if you are willing to explore it's hidden depth. It's a well known fact that this game is a little difficult to describe in terms of what makes it so fantastic, so I thought I would try to describe it a little differently than most people in the hope of attracting more people to this wonderful game.

Running my town as Mayor to me is similar to running a business, without ever worrying about failing. You have to work hard for your money and spend it creatively on your town. Earning money in this game is addicting in the way mining is in Mine Craft or Terraria. It's addicting in the way leveling up in an RPG can be. Before you know it, you will be compelled to earn big money on those evenings on the island, catching rare bugs. The compulsion to earn money is insane. Who would have guessed that Fishing and Bug catching could be so addictive?

Every town will look different and expressing your style and wealth is one of the most satisfying aspects to a game that I have ever had. Your town will continue to evolve, and more and more building options and public work projects become available. Each of the buildings and their upgrades adds new facets to your virtual life. From the incredible amount of customizations to your house, to the insane amount of items, to the equally insane amount of quirky wardrobes; each aesthetic choice can be reflection of your own creativity or you can simply use the themes readily available if you are not feeling creative. I built a movie theater in my house, with surround sound speakers, arcades, candy machines and one of those crane machines you find at any theater. It is my pride and joy. I built a park in my town and it's beautiful.

It's one of those games that I think about as soon as I wake up. What's for sale at all of the numerous stores on main street? What events are taking place? What's happening in my virtual alternate life?There is always something happening in your town. Females beware, this game was definitely designed to appeal to your inner shopper. Yes, there is a shoe store and it's inventory changes daily as with all of the stores.

In a day when almost all of the major game announcements involve guns and violence, Animal Crossing: New Leaf is the diametric opposite of those experiences. It's a laid back and incredibly relaxing game. Take it at your own pace, and just chill out. Sometimes I watch TV, while playing Animal Crossing, and that is one of my favorite things to do now. I have put over 150 hours into the game since launch and I imagine I will put two thousand in by the time it is all said and done. If this appeals to you in any way, go out and buy this game. The social features are fantastic, and the community is very helpful. If you do not have a 3DS, it's about time you bought one. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is Nintendo's new killer app.
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    I'm in love with this game! A great improvement from the previous game! Its not a game that you can play for hours in one sitting since you will run out of things to do but that is, in my opinion, part of its charm. I look forward to playing it every day so that I may do new things and continue to improve the town! Also, I find it a refreshing change of pace from many other games out thereI'm in love with this game! A great improvement from the previous game! Its not a game that you can play for hours in one sitting since you will run out of things to do but that is, in my opinion, part of its charm. I look forward to playing it every day so that I may do new things and continue to improve the town! Also, I find it a refreshing change of pace from many other games out there that are primarily about violence. In this game the most violent thing that happens is getting stung by bees(and thats only if you shake the tree their hive is in so you kind of deserve it...). So whether you are a fan of the series or just want a fun, family friendly game to play, this one is definitely a winner. Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    This is a good one to fall asleep to or to play with your kids/significant other when you have a little bit of free time at the end of the day. It's charming, quirky, and fun in a mini-sims sort of way. There's not much to do that takes any sort of mental capacity, but that's not why you play Animal Crossing. You play because it's a nice little vacation from the stupid of the rest of theThis is a good one to fall asleep to or to play with your kids/significant other when you have a little bit of free time at the end of the day. It's charming, quirky, and fun in a mini-sims sort of way. There's not much to do that takes any sort of mental capacity, but that's not why you play Animal Crossing. You play because it's a nice little vacation from the stupid of the rest of the world.

I do agree that it's a shame you can't play for much more than an hour without completely running out of things to do, and it's reliance on real time rather than some sort of an in-game sleep system is kinda annoying, but like I said, it's not really meant to be something you take up an entire day with. It's a light snack of a game to help wind you down. Keep that in mind if you try it. You'll get your money's worth after many weeks of play, not in a handful of sittings.
  9. Jun 9, 2013
    Much different than the previous DS version I popped in the old game today to see the difference, and "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" is so much smoother and better in every way! The whole game seems happier and Nintendo really listened to its fans. It may sound silly, but being able to sell all your items at once or have the owl appraise all your items at once saves a ton of time and is soMuch different than the previous DS version I popped in the old game today to see the difference, and "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" is so much smoother and better in every way! The whole game seems happier and Nintendo really listened to its fans. It may sound silly, but being able to sell all your items at once or have the owl appraise all your items at once saves a ton of time and is so convenient! No game is perfect, but this is so close! 9.9/10 Expand
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    Based on Day 1, this game is definitely a 9 so far. Could be 10 or could be an 8 depending on what happens over time as I will edit this review. I haven't played AC since the DS like 5 years ago, and this is hands down the PERFECT way to get back in to the series. The little changes have made this fantastic. Being able to get rid of things in groups rather than singles. choosing ANYWHEREBased on Day 1, this game is definitely a 9 so far. Could be 10 or could be an 8 depending on what happens over time as I will edit this review. I haven't played AC since the DS like 5 years ago, and this is hands down the PERFECT way to get back in to the series. The little changes have made this fantastic. Being able to get rid of things in groups rather than singles. choosing ANYWHERE you want to place your house in the town. You like that view by the beach? "Done," says Nook. One thing that bothers me is that the curvature of the world is a little too much and zoomed in too far, making it a little annoying to find fish.
    I can't wait to see what else this game keeps showing tomorrow, throughout the week, and for months to come!
  11. Jul 10, 2013
    I have never been the biggest Animal Crossing fan. I usually find the games boring and repetitive. But, I decided to pick up this new Animal Crossing game and something about changed my whole view on the series. All of the things you can do, all of the new features that Nintendo added to this version compared to the DS version. Animal Crossing New Leaf has so much charm. All of theI have never been the biggest Animal Crossing fan. I usually find the games boring and repetitive. But, I decided to pick up this new Animal Crossing game and something about changed my whole view on the series. All of the things you can do, all of the new features that Nintendo added to this version compared to the DS version. Animal Crossing New Leaf has so much charm. All of the characters consistently make me smile and laugh. Animal Crossing New Leaf has so much depth to it that I could literally sit down and play this game for hours and hours. This game has changed my view on the Animal Crossing franchise and I will definitely be picking up the next version of Animal Crossing whenever Nintendo decides to make another one. But this is a game that I will be playing every day until the next Animal Crossing comes out. The only reason why I didn't give it a 10/10 is that it is still an Animal Crossing game and I can still find it a little boring at some times, but that's just me. Are you missing out on a great experience if you don't get Animal Crossing New Leaf? Absolutely! Expand
  12. Jul 21, 2013
    I have never played with any Animal Crossing title before (although I had a Gamecube several years ago), but simply I can say: New Leaf is the perfect recreation game. 3DS owners MUST have it!
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    For being the fourth entry in the series, the game hasn't advanced much since the first one. You're the mayor of town in this one, which lets you setup Public Works Projects. They're decorations for your town, and they let you customize how your town is. Except you can only make 30 of them, even though there's space for tons and tons of them. Also, the selection of public projects isFor being the fourth entry in the series, the game hasn't advanced much since the first one. You're the mayor of town in this one, which lets you setup Public Works Projects. They're decorations for your town, and they let you customize how your town is. Except you can only make 30 of them, even though there's space for tons and tons of them. Also, the selection of public projects is mostly limited to things like lamps and benches and statues. You can build up to three bridges across your town's river, but you can't divert the river, you can't add a pond or fill in a pond, you can't add or remove a ramp down to the beach. When villagers move in, they just move in any old place that fits, you can't declare where house lots should go. What I'm saying is that, for a game that tries to sell you on the point of being able to customize your town, you don't get access to a lot of very obvious customization options.

Houses are about the same as before. You can change the outside of your house some, and you can get several rooms inside of your house. All rooms start off at 4x4, then have a 6x6 and 8x8 upgrade you can buy. Always a central room, a room left, back, and right, and an upstairs and downstairs. You can't re-arrange the orientation of your house's rooms, like having it be a long ranch-style house or a tower house where you just stack it five floors high. Even if the exterior didn't change to match it, it would have been nice for your house's rooms to be arrangable.

Of course there's a ton of goodies to put inside of your house, wallpapers, floors, beds, chairs, etc, etc. Once you've picked up an item once, it goes into your catalog, so you can buy it again from Nook's if you sell or lose it. Except some items are "special event" items, so you can't re-purcahse them from your catalog. It'll show the item, and then not let you buy it. Not being able to just buy anything in your catalog is pretty poop.

There's a "Mall" section, behind your main town, and you can upgrade it a bit. Re-Tail is in the main area, but all the rest of the stores, and the Museum and Post Office, are in the Mall area. Behind the Mall is the Happy Home section, where the houses of people you Street Pass are displayed, and you can order items that you see in their home. It follows the same rules as the catalog though, so if they have a limited item then you can't order it. Which is, again, poop.

The villagers in town are kinda alright, some of them are fun characters that I really like (Ken and Bruce). Except they're a little shallow. You interact with them or not, and based on that they'll usually stay in town. If they decide to move, you can tell them to stay, and they'll stay if you've interacted with them a lot. I say "interact" instead of "be nice to" because it doesn't matter what your interaction is. You can talk to them, send them letters, hit them with a net, push them into pit-falls, whatever. It's all the same to them.

They each start off with a house customized to them when they move into town, but they don't have any sort of style as to what things get replaced with what, so they'll just use anything you give them and anything they see in Re-Tail. Their houses end up looking like weird mish-mashes of all sorts of styles at once. The villagers aren't very distinct in how they act in general. Internally, the game itself has like 6 general personality types, and it kinda shows through even without knowing that. There's apparently 110 or so villagers in the game, but you can only have up to 10 in your town at once. It'd probably have been better for them to make fewer villagers that are each more distinct.

I guess what I'm getting at in general is that the game has stuff in it, but most of the options are kinda shallow or surface or whatever you wanna call it. There's not many systems driven interactions going on, and the game regularly feels like a disappointment and an "if only they had" sort of a game.
  14. Jun 15, 2013
    I've been a fan of the AC series since the days of the Gamecube and let me say: New Leaf is by far the best in the series!

First of all, I am a firm believer that this game was never truly intended for the main Nintendo consoles; it had "handheld" written all over it since the first installment. This game is the most organic-feeling of the lot and the online play is fantastic. I love

I love how the game is able to stay pretty much the same as it always has been yet is able to add one small thing to the mix and instantly there's hours upon hours of added game play that in no way feels tacked on. For example, the addition of the wetsuit, being the mayor, the addition of pants and shoes, and the tropical getaway are all great/entertaining additions to the game that make it feel like an even bigger world than it already is and makes the game even more addicting.

If you're on the fence about getting this game, don't be. The 3DS has been coming on strong within the last year and this title has just solidified its victory against the Vita. TEHNOUTTATEHN!
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    What can I say, it's the best game of the year so far. And unless something comes straight from left field and surprises me, it will stay the best game of the year. It's almost impossible to describe this game, and I'm not even entirely sure if it's to be called a game. But there's so much to do, and the reward system is so devilish paced that you get hooked at once. Combined with a cuteWhat can I say, it's the best game of the year so far. And unless something comes straight from left field and surprises me, it will stay the best game of the year. It's almost impossible to describe this game, and I'm not even entirely sure if it's to be called a game. But there's so much to do, and the reward system is so devilish paced that you get hooked at once. Combined with a cute and cosy feel, it's a game I've played every day since release, and will continue to do so for several months to come. Expand
  16. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am completely new to the Animal Crossing series. Up until this game, I had no prior knowledge of this series or what to expect when getting New Leaf. All I knew was that it was a life simulator with cute animal people in it.

I ended up getting far more than I could have ever imagined. Your town and your people are ALIVE, make no mistake. This game is packed with little details and small charms all over the place that will make anyone new to the series say "Wow, really? I wonder what else will happen..."

Your villagers are intelligent, they know what goes on around them and will comment on it. Your town grows over time, day by day, very slowly. Relationships develop, buildings rise, seasons change and villagers move in and out. There are over 300 possible citizens for your village, and you can only have 10 at a time. This is a painful kind of potential where you want to see as much as you can, but you'll only get there with time.

It's much more than a slice-of-life simulator. It's literally another life, all to yourself, where you're in charge and these little animal people look up to you to make their town the best in the world. After a week, you may find yourself getting a deep-seated feeling for your little town and it's people, smiling at some of the things they say and hopefully getting a little chuckle out of it sometimes too.

Daily routines are common, but somehow not repetitive or boring. There's plenty of options for things to do if something doesn't suit your mood that day, or you can just do nothing at all! This game has literally no obligations tied to it, and it makes for a very therapeutic sort of relaxation game. Go fishing. Plant some trees, water some flowers. Or just gaze at the stars.

The possibilities are endless, and no two people will ever have the exact same town.

I don't think I could have picked a better time to dive into the Animal Crossing series. $40 well spent; I'll be playing this game for years to come.
  17. Jun 9, 2013
    Animal Crossing has gone a long way since the original game. While previous entries have not made any evolutionary turns, this one surely has. The 3DS game is the one that beats them all. Missing out on this game is a great mistake. This is a must have for all 3DS owners.
  18. Nov 1, 2013
    If you've never played an Animal Crossing game, this game will absolutely blow your mind. I have had just about every Animal Crossing, so I wasn't as impressed. My overall sentiment is that there is just "more" than there being any radical additions. While becoming the mayor is a drastic change, the ways to make money are almost identical to the previous versions. The iterations of thisIf you've never played an Animal Crossing game, this game will absolutely blow your mind. I have had just about every Animal Crossing, so I wasn't as impressed. My overall sentiment is that there is just "more" than there being any radical additions. While becoming the mayor is a drastic change, the ways to make money are almost identical to the previous versions. The iterations of this game have incrementally added things, but New Leaf has been the series' biggest jump. It is what City Folk should have been. One gripe I've had with the series is that it still caters to the morning crowd; if I want to play late at night, I still have to time travel to another day because there just isn't much to do in the late hours. I had played Wild World on the original DS to death, which is probably why this entry is not as amazing as it could have been. I am glad that this series is back on track and heading in a solid direction. Expand
  19. Jan 13, 2014
    Incredible fun and super addictive. You'll find yourself playing this game all the time everyday because of its fun and easy to do game play. It's a nice game to sit and relax to.
  20. Aug 12, 2013
    Animal Crossing is one of those games you keep coming back to over and over again with each iteration, and you never really know why. In its fourth installment since its Gamecube debut in 2002, it's still one of the freshest, most relaxing, and oddly enough, most addictive game franchises on the market. It's also yet another must-own for anyone who has a 3DS.

The biggest difference

The biggest difference between New Leaf and the prior Animal Crossing games is that this time, you are the mayor in your town, and as such, you have the ability to customize and improve your town like never before. If you have the money and you're willing to cough up the dough, you can buy various public works projects that add to the aesthetic of your town: things like streetlights, extra bridges, new shops, a night club, police stations, Resetti's headquarters, and more. In relation to previous installments, everything in New Leaf is much more streamlined. Most of the shops are bunched together in the area north of your town, while several staples from prior entries in the series, like the police station for example, are now public works projects that you can place anywhere in your actual town... after you pay for them of course. The depth of customizing your town will, needless to say, keep you coming back to the game, even after you've paid off the millions of "Bells" (the currency in Animal Crossing) it will take to expand your home to its biggest potential.

I honestly can't even begin to explain how much furniture and clothing there is to collect in this game. After playing the game for two months, I still walk into the department store and see something new every time I go in. The sheer amount of items and collectibles will baffle you, and this is yet another aspect of the game that will bring you right back to it.

Much of the New Leaf is business as usual, providing you with the same motivation to meet your neighbors, collect all of the bugs, fish, fossils, etc., and pay off that dang home loan that Tom Nook likes to harass you about. All of it is executed extremely smoothly and intricately, in typical Nintendo form. The visuals are delightful, the music is fairly relaxed, and the 3D effect is pretty good, but it really isn't needed for this kind of game anyway.

Overall Animal Crossing: New Leaf is great fun. It's got a strange alluring quality to it that is unlike any other game out there. Considering all of the gritty and violent realism of many other video games on the market, Animal Crossing is a welcome and delightful detour. Without a doubt, it's a must-own for anyone who owns a 3DS, and is yet another great addition to the 3DS's already extremely impressive library of games.
  21. Aug 4, 2013
    This is the reason of my 3ds purchase this game is so addictive .
    The world keep "living" even when you are not playing and that is the reason of your desire to play to see what is happening
  22. Jun 13, 2013
    This game is truly innovating and worth it's every penny. I never imagined a new game in the series to be equal to Wild World but this game has proven my wrong.
  23. Sep 19, 2013
    A charming and sometimes fun game that ultimately left me wanting more. I mean, there's a lot to do in this game but you can really only play for a couple of hours a day before you run out of fun activities. You can always farm more bells while waiting for the next day but this gets old fast. It's a solid time waster but a little overrated imo and not as memorable as I had hoped. BeingA charming and sometimes fun game that ultimately left me wanting more. I mean, there's a lot to do in this game but you can really only play for a couple of hours a day before you run out of fun activities. You can always farm more bells while waiting for the next day but this gets old fast. It's a solid time waster but a little overrated imo and not as memorable as I had hoped. Being mayor puts you in charge of all the cities building projects and the island tours add some variety but they also get boring pretty quickly. I love Nintendo games but this one just didn't grab me like most do. Expand
  24. Sep 3, 2014
    I will come out and say it straight that the Animal Crossing series is pretty pointless... WAIT, DON'T KILL ME. Let me explain. Admit it, there is no real goal to this game which makes the whole thing pretty pointless... BUT, it doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable. The game has plenty to offer and plays smoother than previous titles in the series. Fishing and decorating houses has neverI will come out and say it straight that the Animal Crossing series is pretty pointless... WAIT, DON'T KILL ME. Let me explain. Admit it, there is no real goal to this game which makes the whole thing pretty pointless... BUT, it doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable. The game has plenty to offer and plays smoother than previous titles in the series. Fishing and decorating houses has never been more fun! - But in all seriousness, it's a well made 4th installment. My one complaint? Only one person can be mayor. I mean, why couldn't they have made it where you can have multiple towns with multiple mayors? Still, it's a great casual title and it makes for a very attractive 3DS game for many. 8/10 Expand
  25. Jun 9, 2013
    Finally an AC to dethrone the Gamecube version. This game is so full of charm and makes me constantly smile and laugh. There is no other series I can pick up and play literally ever day for months.
  26. Jun 12, 2013
    So much is the same for the old game, but there are so much more things that are new that make this Animal Crossing so much better than the previous entries in the series. So many more interactions with the townspeople, the island, the stores, everything is just 100X better than the old games.
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    This is the first Nintendo 3DS game I felt like it was 40$ well spent.This game adds so much to the animal crossing series from all the new shops, the new clothing items, the tropical island and the high level of customization.Do yourself a favor and go buy yourself this game.9/10
  28. Jun 17, 2013
    This is the OF THE YEAR

So I haven't played an Animal Crossing game since GameCube, not because I don't like the series more that I didn't have a Wii till Skyward Sword and by that time I had a lot of catching up to do with Nintendo Wii titles. The controls are well done and feels the same as the GameCube (don't fix it if it's not broken). The Graphics are great, the detail of the
    This is the OF THE YEAR

The controls are well done and feels the same as the GameCube (don't fix it if it's not broken). The Graphics are great, the detail of the bugs, fish, and squids are awesome. the story is good (you know the classic tail of becoming the mayor and turning into a Tyrant...um I mean struggling on becoming a great Mayor). the Music is AWESOME, K. K. Strider is a Legend, and the background music makes great atmosphere and can change the mood of the game. And the characters are so well made that you will fall in love (platonicly..well I guess I can only speak for my self there) or grow to hate...Darn you Tom Nook, I'm done with being in debt with you.

I give it a 1000/10 score and if you're like me and haven't touched an Animal Crossing game in awhile or haven't at all then New Leaf is a great to get back into or start with

what? I'm not a fan boy
  29. Jul 17, 2014
    Just a simple, relaxing video game that will definitely keep you entertained for hours on end. A game that is meant to be enjoyed at your own pace. The best feature of this game of course is the massive amount of customization involved. You truly feel as though you are creating a town that you are personally invested in.
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    This is one of the best 3DS games out there right now, maybe even the best (I personally disliked immorality of having to kill everyone in most of the levels in FE:A). I guess it's true that it is quite similar to the Wii version, but who says this game is worse than the one on the Wii. If this was the first game in the series, my opinion may differ, but overall, it wasn't a bad game.This is one of the best 3DS games out there right now, maybe even the best (I personally disliked immorality of having to kill everyone in most of the levels in FE:A). I guess it's true that it is quite similar to the Wii version, but who says this game is worse than the one on the Wii. If this was the first game in the series, my opinion may differ, but overall, it wasn't a bad game. Overall, 8.3/10 Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf is excellent for meditation, coffee breaks, grinding, goofing around, self-expression and, naturally, having loads of fun. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    It is not too shabby to be a major. Animal Crossing New Leaf continues the series tradition of being as charming as it is relaxing. The repetitive nature of the tasks in the game has an allure that somehow never gets old. Fans will of course feel right at home and welcome the occasional tweaks and news the game has to offer. It’s just too bad that New Leaf while being a game with lots of content still offers very few surprises.
  3. Aug 26, 2013
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf represents not only the pinnacle of the series, but also the ingenuity of the life simulation genre.