8.5

1. Dec 6, 2013
    Awesome game, near perfect.
    People will hate on the voice acting and script, but that's their opinion.

CG: 9.5
    PR: 9
    VI: 10
    AU: 10
    GP: 10
    LA: 10

9.6/10
  2. Jun 20, 2014
    I feel sorry that many people commented on this game before finishing it. The game is great at the beginning, it's almost perfect. Then it becomes repetitive as hell and I am not specifying how to make the comment spoil-less, but I ended up hating it. Going over and over the same bunch of things reading the same dialog repeatedly with a little bit of something new that is totallyI feel sorry that many people commented on this game before finishing it. The game is great at the beginning, it's almost perfect. Then it becomes repetitive as hell and I am not specifying how to make the comment spoil-less, but I ended up hating it. Going over and over the same bunch of things reading the same dialog repeatedly with a little bit of something new that is totally irrelevant or could have been added to some other part in the game....I also believed it was the return of classic Final Fantasy as much that I called this game Final Fantasy Beverly Default, but I repeat, after the first half, i only wanted to throw away my 3DS to a solid wall and break it. *badwordhere* developers who tough doing that over and over was a good idea, hope you never make a game again..or do, but only make a 'first half' and them just leave it as it is. Expand
  3. Feb 8, 2014
    Yes, this game uses a ton of the 3DS features quite nicely. Some mechanics are a tad bit flawed but hey, no game is perfect. Might write an article about this in the near future.
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    I was undecided which game to buy for my new 3ds. I've found this one. Looked trailer and after I've seen "Square Enix" , I decided to give it a try. I am currently playing this game a lot of time and I'm really enjoying it pretty much. It reminds old times when I was playing my first rpg (ff 7), when you have to discover the story,fight enemies for raise your level. Music are alsoI was undecided which game to buy for my new 3ds. I've found this one. Looked trailer and after I've seen "Square Enix" , I decided to give it a try. I am currently playing this game a lot of time and I'm really enjoying it pretty much. It reminds old times when I was playing my first rpg (ff 7), when you have to discover the story,fight enemies for raise your level. Music are also fantastic. It really worth all the moneys. A fantastic adventure that every old RPG gamer should have in their own collection. Expand
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    Bravely Default embodies everything a modern RPG should be, massively customizable, expansive and engaging. It may not be perfect but it's ridiculous levels of customization and strategy possibilities cover wholeheartedly for any gripes you may have had with the story, which I personally enjoyed for the most part, especially the characters, most of them anyway. Easily the best traditionalBravely Default embodies everything a modern RPG should be, massively customizable, expansive and engaging. It may not be perfect but it's ridiculous levels of customization and strategy possibilities cover wholeheartedly for any gripes you may have had with the story, which I personally enjoyed for the most part, especially the characters, most of them anyway. Easily the best traditional RPG on the 3DS and a must own for any fans of Square's work. Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    Great game, so many skills and ways to custumize your character and a great story to boot, I do recommand playing with the japanese voice on. Hours of fun
  7. Mar 5, 2014
    The first half of the game is absolutely amazing. 30 hours worth of 10/10 material. Gameplay is amazing: There's a straightforward job (class) system and 24 different jobs, that mix together well. The plot is solid - not exceptional, but it does its job. Characters are pretty flat and bland - still, they do their part, as long as you're not expecting a tale of personal growth.

The

The second half of the game is, at best, a 4/10. It's extremely repetitive. I can't say much more without spoiling anything, but... when you get there, you'll understand.

Still, 100% worth playing this game.
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    Just wow, from the first moment you delve into this game the atmosphere just sucks you in. The innovative battle system doesn't sound like much on paper but it defines the game. I was so interested that I waited to play the game till a period of time where I wouldn't be disturbed. It's that attractive.
  9. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is amazing! Classic JRPG gameplay, with a unique battling system that handles very nicely. I will admit that the voice acting can be a bit cheesy, BUT this was EASILY solved by changing the game audio to Japanese (if you haven't done this yet DO IT!).

I've been waiting a long time for a great JRPG that gets everything right. Reminds me of when I first played through Golden Sun on GBA.

I cannot stress enough, however, that just switching the dialogue language will make all the difference! Japanese dub w/English sub, you won't regret it!
  10. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is a masterpiece
    i loved it . It is the best RPG game i have seen in years.
    For everyone who is looking for a great game to buy, well get this game!
  11. May 15, 2014
    Bravely Default is a landmark JRPG. It's an interesting new take on the turn based battle system allows for whole new layers of depth adding new strategies and making the standard formula more addictive. And the enemies present a challenge which forces you to dig deep into the combat system to find new strategies for taking down enemies. The plot and characters aren't the greatest but theyBravely Default is a landmark JRPG. It's an interesting new take on the turn based battle system allows for whole new layers of depth adding new strategies and making the standard formula more addictive. And the enemies present a challenge which forces you to dig deep into the combat system to find new strategies for taking down enemies. The plot and characters aren't the greatest but they could be worse. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2014
    If you have a 3DS you should give this game a try. It's soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard, the gameplay is challenging and addictive, and the job system is awesome. The story is good, nothing spectacular but good, and the characters are likable. By far the best thing in the game is the combat system and the smart enemy AI, they make the boss battles amazing. They also added theIf you have a 3DS you should give this game a try. It's soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard, the gameplay is challenging and addictive, and the job system is awesome. The story is good, nothing spectacular but good, and the characters are likable. By far the best thing in the game is the combat system and the smart enemy AI, they make the boss battles amazing. They also added the option to lower or turn off random events which is a great inclusion for the casual market. Expand
  13. Feb 7, 2015
    Half of the game is repeated... not once, not twice... but over and over and over again. It's a cheap and lazy way of extending the game's play time. A HUGE flaw in an otherwise decent JRPG with a mediocre story but excellent class and ability system. The battle system and gear selection force a little more strategy into boss fights than I am accustomed to in JRPGs, and was one of theHalf of the game is repeated... not once, not twice... but over and over and over again. It's a cheap and lazy way of extending the game's play time. A HUGE flaw in an otherwise decent JRPG with a mediocre story but excellent class and ability system. The battle system and gear selection force a little more strategy into boss fights than I am accustomed to in JRPGs, and was one of the bright spots in an otherwise typical game. Learning the strategies for each boss was a lot of fun... even if they weren't exactly difficult. Only once or twice did my entire team wipe. Even the few times I did lose and reload from the last checkpoint, it was a simple matter of changing up gearjobsabilities to adjust to a new strategy. I would have scored it higher had I not had to replay certain parts of the game multiple times! Ridiculous. Expand
  14. Feb 15, 2015
    If you like Final Fantasy and every other typical Square Enix game, then this is for you! Graphics and art is absolutely stunning and the script is well done. Voice acting, one voice in particular, left much to desire; however voice is based on personal opinion. Game play is smooth, the option to adjust encounter rate was GENIUS (no zubat cave yay) and the dungeons were at a good length.If you like Final Fantasy and every other typical Square Enix game, then this is for you! Graphics and art is absolutely stunning and the script is well done. Voice acting, one voice in particular, left much to desire; however voice is based on personal opinion. Game play is smooth, the option to adjust encounter rate was GENIUS (no zubat cave yay) and the dungeons were at a good length.
    Lost points on unnecessary repetitiveness and character development and relationships was lacking. Only felt a real connection to one particular character.
    In saying this, I did not let go of this game for 3 days straight.
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never been so in love with a game ever. Bravely Default is a definition of a video game art. Its art style, music and gameplay are some of the best among RPGs, old and new.

When I played the demo, I thought the Brave and Default feature made the game easy but the full game changed my opinion. This feature changed the typical turn-based RPG gameplay drastically. You have to strategize what character goes to Brave or Default because spamming for Braves won't save you from most bosses and some random-encounter monsters.

The job class system is really the reason why I was excited for this game. I was busy fanboy-screaming to myself while playing the game when I realized that I missed fanboy-screaming about the fact that I'll have an "asterisk" of my favorite Final Fantasy job class/character in Final Fantasy. Clue: He/she calls some powerful friends to destroy everything. :3

The music is amazing. Most of the time, I find my characters not moving because I was busy listening to a dungeon music. lol

While I'm just in about 10 hours to the game, the story so far is doing great.

The graphics and art style are very beautiful.
  16. Feb 9, 2014
    Bravely Default is a must-own to the 3DS. If you are a fan of RPGs and you are looking for a very amazing experience on your dusty 3DS, then Bravely Default is the game you are looking foward.
  17. Feb 12, 2014
    I have been waiting over 10 years for a solid RPG to come out that gives you the classic 60+ hour game play that Final Fantasy once had given. Square did an amazing job with this game, and I STRONGLY recommend it to everyone! It also greatly encourages Street Pass by providing several features that utilize the feature quite well such as Ability link, building your town, friend summoningI have been waiting over 10 years for a solid RPG to come out that gives you the classic 60+ hour game play that Final Fantasy once had given. Square did an amazing job with this game, and I STRONGLY recommend it to everyone! It also greatly encourages Street Pass by providing several features that utilize the feature quite well such as Ability link, building your town, friend summoning and so forth. Expand
  18. Dec 9, 2013
    Wow, the atmosphere is classic, the scenery is elegant. I am waiting for such a game so long time. Maybe I am a bit out of date, but this is really my style. The only thing I don't like is the character setting, too cute.
  19. Dec 9, 2013
    This game is some of the most beautiful video game graphics I've ever seen. Words other reviewers have used are elegant and lush totally agree. Couldn't agree more in fact. That alone makes this game such a refreshing play. Just playing in pure beauty...
  20. Mar 7, 2014
    The game have fantastic graphics and designs , have good songs + music and atmosphere.

The game bear alot of similarities with the final fantasy series, it is a nice comeback to old rpg. It have many classes and options for combat and you can match any skills you want to create your ideal character. The story is a bit shallow and cliché , could have been better. The combat system

The story is a bit shallow and cliché , could have been better.

The combat system even with all its option and classes is not that good also , i could say pointless ... All you have to do is use all your bravery of each characters, use it on simple attacks , press auto (y) and you can kill anything except bosses in one round before they can act. What is the point in having so many classes ans skills if all you have to do is auto attack and win ?

What i found pretty nice is the option to control how many monsters you encounter , so if you wish to grind some exp, just put the option to + 100% encounter. If you dont want pesty monsters ? No problem , downgrade it to 0% !
  21. Dec 7, 2013
    I did not play through this game yet, but so far, it's very solid. Gameplay is interesting and feels fresh, moreso than I thought it would, as the game has a very classic appeal.
    In many ways, it reminds me of Final Fantasy III (the DS version in particular), only that FF III's interesting aspects (mainly it's job system) where taken a step further and improved upon. The job system is basically there to substitute for the lack of character choices (from what I can tell, you'll have only the 4 main ones from (almost) start to finish), and it does so very well. Thanks to the game having only 4 main characters, these are more fleshed out than in other RPGs, which is often done in optional dialogue, similar to how it works in the two Star Ocean games on PSP. This means that people that just want to play the game don't have to read tons of lines if they choose not to. For the people that don't want to spend to much time in combat, there's Easy Mode, and the difficulty can even be changed while playing, allowing for the game to be finished even if your skill is lacking. You can also play all the way on hard mode though, so the game is only as hard or easy as you want it to be, which is a plus.
    The game also has a social game like feature, where you'll build up a town. It's very basic and real time based, but it adds to the game and will keep me playing day after day to build other buildings.
    There's also a feature called "Bravely Second", which allows you to stop time in combat. This'll use up Sleep Points (SP) which can be gained by having the game running while the 3DS is in standby mode, or buying them with real money. Many people complain about this, as it's one of the now infamous "microtransactions" usually found in free to play games, but to be honest, it's not like you'll use the Bravely Second power often, as it really only makes the game easier for you, which can already be done by changing the difficulty to "Easy" when you're stuck.
    The battle system, as I've said, is classic yet fresh. The game goes with a Bravely/Default feature (hence it's name, I guess), which allows you to attack multiple times in a row for the price of Brave Points (BP). These BP are acquired by waiting a round ("defaulting" it). You'll also gain one each time a round starts. You can choose to save up BP or use them up before having acquired them, which'll cost you rounds in the process. You'll be defenseless in these rounds, so oftentimes it's better to store up BP, as you can enter a command each round that way and don't have to endure the rounds without being able to do anything. This mechanic is interesting to play around with.
    The story, as far as I've played, is rather simple and Final Fantasy-esque. It's nothing special so far, but it's very solid and keeps my interest. The characters also have an interesting dynamic to them, which results in some funny lines, and I think they are rather entertaining so far. They do have some interesting backgrounds as well, so they're not one-dimensional jokesters on anything (this game isn't as funny as, say, Paper Mario 2, but rather more serious). I also like the voice acting. It isn't on the same level as, let's say, Persona 4's or Fire Emblem Awakening's English voiceovers, but it's solid. And even if you're not into English dubs, the game comes with the Japanese voice tracks as well. You can even change the text language to Japanese, should you want to do that (and French, Spanish, German and Italian, of course).
    All in all, this is a very solid JRPG. For people who have been starving for classic JRPGs (like me), you should be buying this game right now. And even if that is not usually your cup of tea, I suggest trying out combat in the demo that is available on the eShop (combat only because story and characters are not represented in that one). You might like it, as the game definitely doesn't feel outdated (despite it's classic approach). It has it's flaws, but it's highly enjoyable.
  22. Dec 9, 2013
    Absolutely perfect old school JRPG with present day standards. If you're not a fan of the genre, there isn't much for you, but if you've been looking for a great JRPG, you *need* to give Bravely Default a try.
  23. Feb 9, 2014
    My god! I have been waiting for such a classic game as this. In 3 days, I have already put more then 18 hours into this fantastic game. Everything is presented so well; and I don't understand the fuss with the characters, sure it has been better in other games but damn, everything more then makes up it. I really hope Bravely Second makes it stateside and they continue to make more.My god! I have been waiting for such a classic game as this. In 3 days, I have already put more then 18 hours into this fantastic game. Everything is presented so well; and I don't understand the fuss with the characters, sure it has been better in other games but damn, everything more then makes up it. I really hope Bravely Second makes it stateside and they continue to make more. This is must have game for any classic RPG gamer and 3DS owner Expand
  24. Feb 20, 2014
    Bravely Default is the most epic, amazing throwback RPG I've played in years. The Job system is simply a thing of beauty. It's one of those rare RPGs that makes you WANT to grind to unlock those sweet new Job abilities. The Metacritic score of Bravely Default stands at 85 as of this writing. That is a travesty. It's an instant classic that deserves to be mentioned with alongside FireBravely Default is the most epic, amazing throwback RPG I've played in years. The Job system is simply a thing of beauty. It's one of those rare RPGs that makes you WANT to grind to unlock those sweet new Job abilities. The Metacritic score of Bravely Default stands at 85 as of this writing. That is a travesty. It's an instant classic that deserves to be mentioned with alongside Fire Emblem Awaking. Expand
  25. Mar 5, 2014
    Bravely Default is everything that makes classic turn based RPGs so great plus there is a new 'default' mechanic that lets you store up moves while defending so you can unleash huge multi-turn combo attacks later (or you can 'brave' a few turns in advance if you think you're tough enough to handle the counter assault)

This game is a perfect 10. Go buy it now. It is full of lore and

This game is a perfect 10. Go buy it now. It is full of lore and the story will draw you in as much as you let it...
  26. Dec 6, 2013
    Bravely default can be descripted
    as a reencarnation of RPG or reencarnation
    of Final Fantasy franchise.
    in other words, this game is AWESOME!!
    GOOD GAMEPLAY,GOOD GRAPHICS,AN EXCELLENT SOUNDTRACK
    AND A DEEP AND SOLID PLOT
  27. Feb 8, 2014
    The game's visuals are great. The soundtrack, a masterpiece. The gameplay is engrossing, but highly repetitive. To complete random battles without crippling yourself you will have perform anywhere from 16 to 64 commands in a single turn. After a short while, it gets repetitive. Repetitive are also all the dungeons of the game. The Job system is the star of the gameplay, but if you playedThe game's visuals are great. The soundtrack, a masterpiece. The gameplay is engrossing, but highly repetitive. To complete random battles without crippling yourself you will have perform anywhere from 16 to 64 commands in a single turn. After a short while, it gets repetitive. Repetitive are also all the dungeons of the game. The Job system is the star of the gameplay, but if you played FF3, FF5 or their derivatives, this is just more of the same. Bosses will often perform the same 2-4 moves in order, being almost impossible to defeat for the wrong combination of jobs, but extremely easy for the right one, which doesn't really allow for any emergent gameplay, despite the jobs' apparent potential for it.

Finally, the rating is only 6 because story is to me the most important part of an RPG. Bravely Default tries to include higher depth and coherence than the usual JRPG fare, but fails to introduce any new structure to the game, which is an unforgivable flaw. Each dungeon concludes with a boss or event. If you are walking somewhere and there is a cave nearby, be assured that's your next story destination. There are 4 crystals and 4 continents, plus you can guess the order in which you will visit them from the very beginning. The game is, in short, extremely linear. While the plot tries to throw twists and mysteries at you, you will see everything coming long before it happens. The characters themselves are pure stereotypes. As a final blow, the endgame is already famously jarring and repetitive, involving forced grinding through the same content multiple times for a good ending.
    Notably, though, the english voice acting is remarkable. You will probably still hate Agnés.
  28. Dec 9, 2013
    Really solid JRPG with peaks of excellence in graphic style and job system. If you like the genre don't let the micro transactions scare you, they are really non existent and a non issue. I really recommend it.
  29. Feb 7, 2014
    Bravely Default is a masterpiece: charismatic characters, long play and fun, great dificult, battles per turn reinvented, great graphics and, in my opinion, its has one the best soundtrack that I heard in my entire gamer life, each music is so perfect! That with this game I hope Square Enix open your eyes and try to make games like this.
  30. Feb 12, 2014
    Bravery Default in short is why the 3ds this past year (even though it was released in '14) has dominated my purchase history for games. The 3d is blended perfectly and this game is visually stunning. When you enter a town you are presented with this amazing view of the whole town which looks like both CGI and a painting. The audios are really well placed and every new area comes to lifeBravery Default in short is why the 3ds this past year (even though it was released in '14) has dominated my purchase history for games. The 3d is blended perfectly and this game is visually stunning. When you enter a town you are presented with this amazing view of the whole town which looks like both CGI and a painting. The audios are really well placed and every new area comes to life with the music.

The reason this game hasent gotten such a great review is not because the game but because the western market when it comes to rpg's. People are so obsessed with things being new or innovative. Bravery Default is a game that has taken me back to the days when games actually gave me a sense of wonder. Every time I enter a town I end up saying .. wow. The monsters early on make me think im battling epic beasts. What seperates this game from the rest is the atmosphere it creates while you play it.

I havent talked about mechanics at all in this review but that is on purpose. This is a game with very polished mechanics that create good game play but the strong part of this game is its ability to keep you wrapped up. I used to play games with the mind of a critic, what does it do well? where does it fall short? I have come to the realzation that this ruins games before you even start.

In short. Dont treat bravery deault like this revolutonary game that will change the way rpg's are played rather get lost in the world it creates and love it for what it really is; a great game thats highly polished and will sweep you away. What else could you even ask for in a rpg?
  31. Mar 28, 2014
    There are a lot of things that this game does right, but a lot it does wrong. Let's start with the bad: Everything in this game except for the combat system and the story itself is completely messed up. The game has the philosophy that "if you did it once, you better do it five times more"! This is ludicrous. The game recycles all the bosses and a ton of dialogue five times over. EvenThere are a lot of things that this game does right, but a lot it does wrong. Let's start with the bad: Everything in this game except for the combat system and the story itself is completely messed up. The game has the philosophy that "if you did it once, you better do it five times more"! This is ludicrous. The game recycles all the bosses and a ton of dialogue five times over. Even Devil May Cry 4 didn't reuse it's game that much. But the recycled stuff is okay because it is worked into the plot itself.... Really? That doesn't make it okay. Artificial padding is artificial padding. All of the dungeons are some of the laziest I have ever seen as well. They just feel slapped together. Did they make them all over the weekend or something? Also, this is a single player game RPG, so why is there multiplayer? The multiplayer comes in the form of a facebook game. The facebook game also effects gameplay as well in a significant way. And that some of the bosses are almost impossible to beat on hard without keeping up with the facebook game so that you can get access to special gear to help negate their attack s. And that brings me to another point, the game's excuse for strategic combat is a boss who just uses a powerful attack (that probably ignores default) and attacks your entire party, wiping it out or almost wiping it out. Sometimes there's no way to dodge it or block it (see chapter 2 boss). Now, I'm not one to really care about fanservice in a game, but this game has a really shameful way of doing it. And that is when the fanservice distracts from a major plot point. Sometime close to the end of the game -and I am not going to spoil anything- but there is something in the middle of the screen. A plot twist. And the player is supposed to notice it, but off to the left of the screen is this chick's a$$ that is just there and hanging out. And being biologically inclined to look at it, you [I] do. And then the plot twist begins to glow, as if you were supposed to notice the thing. So you look up and say, "Oh, it's glowing, how nice." And back down to the a$$ you go! And you [I] miss that plot point, and you [I] are left feeling angry because you feel like you should have noticed it. It's blatant and shameless. I could go into the characters of the game at this point, but believe me, none of them are as good as everyone says they are. Two are intentionally bland and boring as their character and one stops progressing half way through only for their character to be picked back up at the end of the game, and even once that char's characterization is complete you feel like it's lacking. As if there was something else that could have been done. There is the last character who begins interesting, is interesting through the middle, and ends interesting. And there is a problem there. If the entire story has to carry itself on one character then there's an imbalance, It shows that attention and care was given not given to all of the characters as they should have. And the story fails because of that. Another thing, why are there micro-transactions in a singleplayer game? "But, reviewer man, there's only one micro-transaction and is optional, you don't have to get it if you don't want to. And it's not even that high priced! So what's your problem?" Am I the only one around here who feels like there should be no micro-transactions in a singleplayer game; or any internet connection required for any feature to function at all! Also, my last point. Is that the game feels like midway through development the developers figured out that the game was impossible to balance so they threw it upon the player to balance the game for them. This is seen in the design decision to include a meter to alter the frequency of random encounters (and even turn them off). And we see that the decision to include the meter was not originally in the early form of the game. The evidence for this is the spells and items that teleport you out of dungeons. it just...reeks of laziness. Don't get me wrong, it is a really fun game, the good parts are the one good character, the story itself (its just as epic as all other final fantasy games), and the combat. The combat alone should win an award for how well crafted it is! And the inclusion of an auto-battle function makes the grind easier as well, especially for a game whose combat system relies around making lots of moves in succession and can be tedious without it. So that's great. Expand
  32. Dec 6, 2013
    Absolument parfait le meilleur RPG de Square Enix depuis très longtemps!
    Digne d'un FF5/FF6, et Chrono Cross l'époque 16/32 bits
    Un vrai retour aux sources.
  33. Mar 26, 2014
    Rather good for quite a while, though the game falls off from being one of the best games of the year, to utter trash about halfway in. That and due to the poor implementation of customization (you'll be hard pressed to ever find skills that synergize) makes it not as good as it could be.
  34. Feb 10, 2014
    Honestly, this game is one of my all time favorites of all time. From the beautiful landscapes and dungeons that you find yourself exploring, to the incredible soundtrack (which I have downloaded and regularly use), this game is a work of art.
    The voice acting may be hated on by some people, but i personally have not found a problem with it.
    Although I may not be a connoisseur in the
    Although I may not be a connoisseur in the JPRG genre, I have found the gameplay to be intuitive, easy to pick up, but most importantly fun.

I wholeheartedly recommend Bravely Default, it is in my opinion a game for everyone and anyone to enjoy.
  35. Feb 13, 2014
    Looks and feels like a true Final Fantasy title. None of this linear world crap, Great game, a true predecessor to the FF titles of the SNES/PS1 days.
  36. Mar 7, 2014
    Awesome, solid RPG game with tons of depth. The attractive part is that there are lots of classes available. Players are open to use over 10,000 job combinations to finish each quest. Also the enhanced round-based combat system creates a lot more possibilities of different tactics. Both of these features gives players lots of options to choose from in terms of difficulties, whether theyAwesome, solid RPG game with tons of depth. The attractive part is that there are lots of classes available. Players are open to use over 10,000 job combinations to finish each quest. Also the enhanced round-based combat system creates a lot more possibilities of different tactics. Both of these features gives players lots of options to choose from in terms of difficulties, whether they want to try out different combinations or just enjoy the story or both.

Solid 9.5/10. (0.5 for area of improvement :P)
  37. Feb 13, 2014
    I'm only halfway through the game but I can say that I haven't been hooked to a game this way for a very long time. Loving the music, the characters, the story, the 3d effect is gorgeous.

Some people complain about repetition in some part of the game, I say YES!!! I can play this game for months, even so, you can just set the auto function in minor fights and care about bosses and healing maybe. And with so many options to customize the way you play, I don't see how repeating those things over and over could be THAT bad.

Buy the game, it's AWESOME!
  38. Feb 18, 2014
    I rarely give games perfect 10s as I rarely feel a game can live up to them. However, this is essentially the *perfect* modernized JRPG. This game is what Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest could or should be. Square Enix was a fool not to release this in the West; instead fans convinced Nintendo to localize and publish it. Games like this will make JRPGs relevant again outside Japan, whileI rarely give games perfect 10s as I rarely feel a game can live up to them. However, this is essentially the *perfect* modernized JRPG. This game is what Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest could or should be. Square Enix was a fool not to release this in the West; instead fans convinced Nintendo to localize and publish it. Games like this will make JRPGs relevant again outside Japan, while Square is doing its best to dig a whole for the genre with the FF13s. Expand
  39. Jul 14, 2014
    The game starts out rather interesting and the battle system is a new spin on turn-based fighting, but the dialogue is cheesy, the characters make terrible decisions that alienate them from the player, and the game loses all of it's steam about halfway through. After the halfway mark all boss battles are recycled multiple times and the player is forced to defeat them again and again withThe game starts out rather interesting and the battle system is a new spin on turn-based fighting, but the dialogue is cheesy, the characters make terrible decisions that alienate them from the player, and the game loses all of it's steam about halfway through. After the halfway mark all boss battles are recycled multiple times and the player is forced to defeat them again and again with very few variations, leaving you frustrated and unmotivated. It's very disheartening knowing exactly what is going to happen in the next 10 hours of gameplay. I quite liked the game at the start but ended up absolutely resenting it. Expand
  40. Jul 24, 2014
    Artificial padding and artificial difficulty do not a good game make, nor shoddy plots and vapid characters a good story. Square-Enix needs to give all of their money to CD Projekt Red, a far more superior RPG making company.
  41. Dec 6, 2013
    I played through the whole japanese version of the game a while ago and it's a mediocre game masked in run-of-the-mill final fantasy combat. If you've played any final fantasy before this game doesn't have much to offer, just more the the same. It's not a horrible game just don't expect anything original.
  42. Feb 9, 2014
    Bravely Default is a game that can be praised for taking the elements of a classic Final Fantasy title and install a brand new twist. The plot and characters feel like something straight from the SNES Final Fantasy titles with a more modern atmosphere and more fleshed out characters. Possibly one of the biggest selling point of this game is the gameplay which incorporates a simple yetBravely Default is a game that can be praised for taking the elements of a classic Final Fantasy title and install a brand new twist. The plot and characters feel like something straight from the SNES Final Fantasy titles with a more modern atmosphere and more fleshed out characters. Possibly one of the biggest selling point of this game is the gameplay which incorporates a simple yet innovated idea with bravely to allow characters to use multiple actions (so you can revive a character and then use cure to heal them all in one turn) and default which allows the characters to defend and stock up on BP (so you can use bravery without losing any turns). The music is another selling point though to be fair, Final Fantasy is known for its amazing music ever since its NES days and Bravely Default's music is nothing short to the greatness of past Final Fantasy titles. The game falls apart when voice acting and graphics comes into play. Though most of the main characters are good, some of the voice acting and dialogue for some of the characters are just unbearable or their voice feels mangled in some way. The graphics though charming feels weak compared to other 3DS titles. Despite its faults, I'd recommend Bravery Default to any RPG fan. Though Final Fantasy X is coming out on the Vita, the originality of Bravery Default, charms, and use of classic elements that were once common in the Final Fantasy series hold more value then the HD remake. Expand
  43. Feb 16, 2014
    In every battle there is a button asking you to spend real world money on in-game items like your playing some free Korean mmorpg. Why does no one else see this as a major issue? I already bought the game, but it still wants more of my money, this is a huge flaw for me.
    Other than that the game lives up to the hype, and is a must play for jrpg fans. The brave/default battle system works, but you do end up inputting a ton of commands for battles that take a couple seconds to execute, which only stands out because everything else is so streamlined. The story is good with dark and serious themes, but the light hearted overtone puts a limit on how emotionally attached you will become with the characters.
  44. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game ! You can change the job at anytime ,you can change the battle speed at any time , and you can even change the encounter rate at any time ! Wow ,all I thought before now become real ! Awesome ! Expand
  45. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is almost perfect. Yes, the script and voice acting are "eh" at times, but that's a given with any RPG. The 3D feature is not an afterthought, either, as it enhances the scenery in the game. The job and battle systems take a little getting used to, but if you play the demo or the primary game for at least 10 minutes, you'll master both of them.

It's funny that some people have brought up "repetitive game-play." Ever played an RPG? It's repetitive.
    As for the ability to purchase SP points to get bonus moves, 1) it's not game-breaking and 2) the option to get bonus moves aren't even that worth it until the end of the game.

As for the story, this isn't the "run of the mill" JRPG. Yes, you have to save the crystals, but it's rare to see a game such as Final Fantasy (Bravely Default being a spiritual successor) or other major RPGs offer a better plot twist than what was offered. Hint to those who haven't played - there's a clue in the title in both the Western release (Where the Fairy Flies) and the original version (Flying Fairy).
  46. Jun 17, 2014
    This is the best Japanese RPG ever. It has the best turn based combat ever and a great cast of characters. Better than any game on Playstation Vita. Get it now.
  47. Oct 22, 2014
    So I have just completed Bravely Default after 96 hours. Now for my final thoughts about this game, a game that at the start I loved and would recommended it to anyone, but that love quickly turned sour as the game progressed past chapter 5 into nothing more than garbage. Although it did redeem some of its credibility back near the very end, it still felt like wasted potential. But all mySo I have just completed Bravely Default after 96 hours. Now for my final thoughts about this game, a game that at the start I loved and would recommended it to anyone, but that love quickly turned sour as the game progressed past chapter 5 into nothing more than garbage. Although it did redeem some of its credibility back near the very end, it still felt like wasted potential. But all my hopes laid on the ending, if the ending was satisfying I could let it pass, maybe all that hardship could be left behind, but no, bravely default up until the very end managed to stay a disappointment and I would not recommend this game. If I had to rate this I would give it two ratings
    Chapters 1-4 I would give it a 9/10
    Chapters 5-9 I give it a 4/10
    This game had solid characters, combat and fun bosses but then it just destroyed all that build up and made everything you do seem pointless and unrewarding. I hope all is fixed in its squeal Bravely Second, cause that combat and style is the only thing that is keeping me invested in buying it.
  48. Nov 12, 2014
    I feel terrible giving this game a low score. I very much wanted to like this game. However, the felt quite slow, the art style was a bit too dark at times and the characters were not appealing. I can understand how some players can love this game and I can see the effort and care the developers put into the game. From my perspective, I give it a low score. But, I can see someone playingI feel terrible giving this game a low score. I very much wanted to like this game. However, the felt quite slow, the art style was a bit too dark at times and the characters were not appealing. I can understand how some players can love this game and I can see the effort and care the developers put into the game. From my perspective, I give it a low score. But, I can see someone playing it and falling in love with it. Enjoy. Expand
  49. Dec 12, 2014
    I would describe this game with a single word: "repetitive". And it's not about lvl grinding. It's because you do the same stuff, beat the same bosses and keep reviving the crystals until it is painful and boring to death.
    This game was very promising during the first chapters: graphics are very nice, all dialogs are voice-acted, battle dynamics are good, and the job system is somewhat traditional but you can live with it. There are some awesome skills to obtain and everything was going so nice...
    But as you progress in the game, everything gets recycled and monotone. The end is extremely dissapointing. I completed the game but I really cannot recommend it.
  50. Jan 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bought this game expecting a masterpiece RPG, instead what I got was a huge disappointment. The plot, dialogues and characters are poorly written. The world map and dungeons are poorly designed. The job system and music are this game’s only redeeming points.

The story is not just cliché, but also a poorly told cliché. The world is crumbling and no one seems to be doing anything except the 4 main character. The sea has become rotten and everyone just casually mentions it like nothing. There is no chemistry between the party members, how the party came together is also rushed and sloppy. The dialogues, most of the times are painful to listen at.
    Cities are beautiful but lifeless, the world map and dungeons both seems generic. Cities or countries are not explained at all, kings acts like fools with no regard to the rest of the world.

The hometown can be rebuilt simply by assigning people to construct buildings? And seems to only serve the party’s shopping benefit. When I tried using the SP in a battle, the main character actually said some promotional words which is sad instead of funny.

Auto battle function is clumsy, enemy’s information is hidden by a left analog stick toggle which is very unnecessary. Weakness must be examined. Brave and Default mode does bring something new to battles but that’s about it. To acquire new jobs you must go through various sub-story which only means more nonsense dialogue and plots that hurts your common sense and sense of humor.

Played until chapter 2 in which the party decides to enter a beauty contest? That’s all I can bear. I guess the plot might develop and twist as the game progress but from what I’ve seen in the first 2 chapters, I want no part on what is about to happen next in the story.
  51. Feb 22, 2014
    One of the must have RPG games of the new generation. Bravely Default is not a game of Square enix company, this is a game of the old and magic Squaresoft.
  52. Feb 23, 2014
    Bravely Default to been a good game as if revived some FF saga, although that is a spin off. history divided into two mentalities or not to follow the beliefs of the crystals takes a lot of history middle age, music is the small feast where one can revel in every moment and enjoy excellent graphics showed that the capacity of the Nintendo 3DS is super powerful, no doubt a great game byBravely Default to been a good game as if revived some FF saga, although that is a spin off. history divided into two mentalities or not to follow the beliefs of the crystals takes a lot of history middle age, music is the small feast where one can revel in every moment and enjoy excellent graphics showed that the capacity of the Nintendo 3DS is super powerful, no doubt a great game by Square Enix. Expand
  53. Feb 26, 2014
    Bravely Default has a turn based combat system of great depth. There's probably a little bit too much level grinding in it but it is satisfying when you feel your attacks becoming more powerful and your able to steam roll enemies which had previously been problematic.

Then random battles are there for a reason. So you can experiment with different job classes and tactics and to try out new equipment and magic. But there isn't enough content to go round and the ground hog day final chapters are extremely repetitive as you repeat yourself over and over and over and over again.

Characters are so-so and the story is not worth mentioning. The street-pass features are pointless. Great presentation, graphics and music.

Overall a highly polished turn based RPG with derivative story and not enough content for it's deep combat system.
  54. Feb 27, 2014
    Bravely Default is a very lengthy adventure, and an immensely enjoyable one. I'm not the biggest jrpg fan, but occasionally, I get a craving, and Bravely Default was there to satisfy.

Overall, the game has a few things that are outstanding and a few things that are simply ok. I really enjoyed the battle system and the music especially. The art direction is excellent too, every locale is unique and flavorful. They are the icing on this cake.

However, there were a few dry spots in this cake that prevented it from being a game that really sticks with me. My main issues lie with the game's overall pacing. At first you're finding new bosses and new side quests by the dozens. After fighting so many bosses and doing so many side quests, I came to dread seeing those blue exclamation marks as my sense of duty propelled me onward. Some of those boss fights can drag on for what seems an eternity. They can for quite a long time, but don't really change their overall pattern until they're HP critical and then proceed to KO your entire team forcing you to start anew. An incredible frustration. Due to in game circumstances, you'll have to fight many of these bosses a second time, though the stories reasoning for doing this is really quite interesting and a part of the stories great plot twist.

My second issues lie with the generic dungeon set up. There's nothing to make them stand apart once you've gone through the game's many traps.

Overall though, this game won my heart through it's excellent battle system, it's infectious music, and an overall strong structure. I would readily recommend it, just beware of the end. If you're not a fan of rehashing a few bosses and the occasional tedious pacing, you may need to steer clear.
    Mar 14, 2014
    Not finished the game yet, but I absolutely love it. For the first time in a LONG time I'm actually playing a game that is challenging me! I love the character design and the voice acting is solid, too. Above all else though, the gameplay is simply fantastic. Don't miss out on this game!
  56. Mar 15, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing! It is one of my favourite games of all time - if not my favourite! Now, it is a classic RPG style game. It is completely turn based and may seem slow to some people who do not typically like these styles of games. However, if RPGs are something that you love, then you will love this game! The characters are really interesting and you really get to know themThis game is absolutely amazing! It is one of my favourite games of all time - if not my favourite! Now, it is a classic RPG style game. It is completely turn based and may seem slow to some people who do not typically like these styles of games. However, if RPGs are something that you love, then you will love this game! The characters are really interesting and you really get to know them throughout all the cutscenes in the game (there are quite a few, actually). All the cutscenes are fully voiced as well, which is always a plus! The actual gameplay is super fun, and there are over like 30 different classes that you can play and level up all the way to 14 (which takes quite a while for each). When you get farther into the game, you can customize all the classes with different abilities that you have unlocked from others, to make a combination of classes. This is necessary in order to defeat harder bosses later in the game. However, this also means that you have to grind a little bit in the game as well - but in what RPG don't you have to grind in? Personally, I love grinding, so I played the game on hard/medium the whole time. If that is not your style, then you can put the game to Easy and just enjoy it for primarily the storyline - which is absolutely fantastic as well! This game makes grinding fun however, as you can speed up the battles to make them literally like 10 seconds long. It may seem like you can max out your classes really fast like this, but it does take a while. The game is just outstanding as a whole... definitely worth a playthrough... even if RPGs are not your thing! Expand
  57. Mar 16, 2014
    An incredible throwback to the long lost days of classic turn-based role-playing, Bravely Default mixes old with new and offers an innovative twist on the traditional Japanese RPG.

CORE GAME: Most players will notice a striking similarity to classic Final Fantasy titles, before the series lost its way. A rather traditional storyline in which four heroes have to save the world from a

CORE GAME:
    Most players will notice a striking similarity to classic Final Fantasy titles, before the series lost its way. A rather traditional storyline in which four heroes have to save the world from a mysterious darkness that's thrown the four pillars of the world out of balance--you've probably seen this many a time now. Turn-based combat and random encounters are present as well, as are an amnesiac, a lone survivor of a destroyed village, a band of evil forces, and airships. At heart, Bravely Default is a classic RPG. The combat system offers a few twists which will be discussed later, but it's nice to see a return to traditional Final Fantasy.

PRESENTATION:
    The game is lovely presented with beautiful hand-drawn art for the towns, world map, and dungeons. While perhaps not technically fantastic, the game looks very nice. Enemy designs are superb, right down to the last detail. And the quick series of CGI cutscenes at the beginning is nothing short of incredible. Dungeon design is good, though most of them are a little on the short side, while towns are richly detailed and designed. The characters are very well done, and the majority of the story is fully voiced. Voiceovers are generally very good, with a few grating moments. One downside however is the fact that most of the lines are read quite slow, so it takes a while to get through a scene if you're listening to every line. The game's writing is quite good as well, albeit with a few unnecessary suggestive innuendos, and some cheesy lines.

The best part of the game in my opinion is the soundtrack--an absolutely beautiful fully orchestrated score. Each of the four main characters has their own theme that plays when using a special move. The bass theme is incredible, as is the main theme. And the music during the final battle--think of a more epic version of "The War's End" from Kid Icarus Uprising, with a purely awesome finale. Even the random encounter music is great (though not as great as Etrian Odyssey IV's battle theme!). Speaking of random encounters, did I mention you have the option to set the encounter rate... or turn them off entirely? This is the feature JRPGs need, as they're made accessible to a declining audience of the genre. The difficulty can also be scaled, which is a good bonus for new or more experienced players.

GAMEPLAY:
    The game uses turn-based combat with a twist--the Brave and Default system, which is an excellent risk/reward mechanic that is both simple and deeply strategic. Selecting Default will boost the character's defence stats for one turn, while adding one Brave Point (BP) to that character. With an upper limit of 3 BP, a character can spend them to take multiple turns at once, but having negative BP means skipping turns until they recharge to 0 again. It's an ingenious system, one that adds entire layers of strategy to classic combat. And enemies can even use the system as well!

The job system is similar to that of older Final Fantasy titles, and it's seemless and much less of a hassle than the class system of say Fire Emblem Awakening. You unlock jobs by collecting asterisks from the bosses in the game, and you can switch a character's job at any time, saving their job level and unlocked abilities.

Another feature is the StreetPass component, which allows players to rebuild Norende village by collecting workers via StreetPass and assigning them to complete various tasks at the village. It's simple, but the rewards include quick access to items, new armour and weapons, as well as special moves which can be very useful.

Yes, this game DOES have microtransactions. This may offset some players, but they are rather useless. They allow you to buy "SP Drinks" for using a feature called Bravely Second, which lets you stop time during battle. It can come in handy, but you can always store up Sleep Points (SP; used for activating Second) by leaving the system in sleep mode. So no, you do not need to pay Square any more money to beat the game.

OVERALL:
    Bravely Default is a special game. It may not have the most inspired story or characters, but it's a traditional yet new RPG; bravely default.

+ Excellent art, all hand-drawn in a gorgeous style
    + Soundtrack is simply amazing
    + Story and characters are entertaining, if traditional
    + Difficulty options make it accessible to anyone
    + Clever gameplay mechanics
    + Throwback to older Final Fantasy--this is FF done right
    / Impressive amount of content but may drag on for some
    / Twists in the latter half are ingenious, but may annoy some players with the "gauntlet" section
    / Dialogue is mostly good, but has several slip-ups
    - Dungeon design is too simplistic
    - Microtransactions are there

58. Mar 18, 2014
    Yes, the second half of Bravely Default is not as inspired as the first half - but that does not make it any less challenging or fun. Full of twists and turns, Bravely Default will soon have you questioning everything that is going on. Is the villain truly evil, or do they merely serve different ideals?

The graphics are among the most beautiful that the 3DS has to offer, and the

The graphics are among the most beautiful that the 3DS has to offer, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece - you'll want to use headphones to truly grasp the beauty of the sound. The battle system is traditional, but the new "brave" and "default" commands give it enough spice to maintain interest, and the wide variety of job classes and battle options mean that every battle is unique.

One last piece of advice: take the time for 100% completion. Each side quest has an impact on the characters and the story, providing essential facts and information about the history of Luxendarc and the events that are occurring that you might otherwise miss.

Bravely Default is as close to perfect as it gets.
  59. Mar 19, 2014
    Picked up Bravely Default last week with my 3DS, I’ve spent about 14 hours playing it, and I love it. And here’s a significant reason why: the Grind. The Grind is addicting and fun to play because of the loot you accumulate, the progression of your party (both levels and job levels/skills), and because of the robust job system. BD makes it easy to adjust the Grind to your liking, byPicked up Bravely Default last week with my 3DS, I’ve spent about 14 hours playing it, and I love it. And here’s a significant reason why: the Grind. The Grind is addicting and fun to play because of the loot you accumulate, the progression of your party (both levels and job levels/skills), and because of the robust job system. BD makes it easy to adjust the Grind to your liking, by increasing or decreasing the encounter rate and by being able to auto-play your battles at 4x speed, speeding things up, which I think is this game’s numero uno selling point (or should be). The meta-game involving Norende is also a gleeful time sink. Other reviewers have said that it feels “tacked on”, but I love it. There’s a lot of stuff going on in that mini-game. The way it makes you check in often reminds me of the perversity of farm games, and it’s an addicting and worth-while segment of the game.
    The story is sh*t, the voice acting is BAD, REAL BAD, except of course for that one guy who sounds like Mr. Slave in South Park. Most times I skip the corny Party Chats and Events that are ubiquitous throughout the game. They’re just so goddamn boring. The graphics are charming and must suffice, as with the music. I like to Grind, I love old-school JRPGs, I love the Final Fantasy Series, and I love this game.
    - Blonde McGuinn
  60. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is what the most recent Final Fantasy should play like ! It's using the classic battle system from the most beloved RPG serie with the great job system from Final Fantasy V. There is a lot of configuration that allow you to play like you want to play (change combat speed, change encounter rate (even set to zero), auto combat for faster grinding ...) instead of trying to dictateThis game is what the most recent Final Fantasy should play like ! It's using the classic battle system from the most beloved RPG serie with the great job system from Final Fantasy V. There is a lot of configuration that allow you to play like you want to play (change combat speed, change encounter rate (even set to zero), auto combat for faster grinding ...) instead of trying to dictate how you should play (like in the recent FF XIII series with level cap, no exp or gil at end of combat etc..).

The first fourth chapters are a 10/10 but the last four are more of a 6. Since the last chapters can be done really quickly (2-3hours vs 50hrs for the first fourth for me) , i give this game an 8.5 .
  61. Apr 4, 2014
    i liked the game but i had few problems
    1. the boss battles used to offen
    2. i didnt like game's multplayer i would love to see it do a take turn co op instead of player has leave after the turn over

it was overall fun and idea of jobs are grate as well and rpg fin too
  62. Apr 8, 2014
    I have to say, this game is amazing. The battle system is superb-- not too simple to bore the hardcore gamers, and not too complex to confuse the more casual gamers. The storyline itself could use some work (the first portion of the game felt incredibly rushed, in my opinion) but it's honestly an incredibly fun game to play. I'll say this, though: it almost feels as if the femaleI have to say, this game is amazing. The battle system is superb-- not too simple to bore the hardcore gamers, and not too complex to confuse the more casual gamers. The storyline itself could use some work (the first portion of the game felt incredibly rushed, in my opinion) but it's honestly an incredibly fun game to play. I'll say this, though: it almost feels as if the female characters are reduced to slabs of meat at times-- some mild, and usually subtle sexist remarks/stereotyping, and some suggestive comments-- which was, in my opinion, one of the game's major cons.

Aside from that, I personally would recommend this game to anyone.
  63. Jun 18, 2014
    In an ages-overdue delivery, Square-Enix finds dignity and declares not to have forgotten what a good J-RPG is. Surprisingly well intact, Bravely Default attentively caters to difficulty mongers and story-lovers alike. Rivaling or topping previous great J-RPG works among the expansive DS library, problems are few and achievements are high.
  64. Apr 13, 2014
    This probably isn’t the first time you’ve seen the name Bravely Default. If you haven’t then I would assume you are probably sharing the same first impression that we all had: “WHAT DOES THAT NAME EVEN MEAN?!” I know; the developers couldn’t have picked a more awkward and confusing name if they tried. Despite the strange name, it has done remarkably well in the West. The game receivedThis probably isn’t the first time you’ve seen the name Bravely Default. If you haven’t then I would assume you are probably sharing the same first impression that we all had: “WHAT DOES THAT NAME EVEN MEAN?!” I know; the developers couldn’t have picked a more awkward and confusing name if they tried. Despite the strange name, it has done remarkably well in the West. The game received overall positive reviews from critics, and even topped the spectacular launch sales of Fire Emblem: Awakening last year. You’re probably asking, what’s the big deal with Bravely Default? Why is it so great? Find out in my review!

In most RPGs, your party starts out small and slowly grows to somewhat of an army, but the developers decided to keep things small. In this game, you assume control of 4 characters. All four adventures come from different backgrounds and cultures, but are forced to unite due to the severity of the events that transpire. Tiz is a shepherd from a town that was literally swallowed up by the ground. His friends and family were all lost in the destruction; he was the sole survivor. Agnés is on a quest to bring power back to the four crystals, and is accompanied by an energetic fairy girl. Ringabel is an insomniac with a book that supposedly predicts the future. He’s also quite fond of the ladies. Edea actually met the caravan while trying to take Agnés captive on her ship. Once she realizes that she’s the one working for the bad guys, she joins your cause. This is only the beginning…

Gameplay is the main attraction, and is what makes this game stand out from the rest. Bravely Default combines the traditional JRPG formula with some game-changing elements. You are able to tailor your gameplay experience to your liking. That means difficulty settings, enemy encounter ratio, and more are customizable – and at any point in the game. This makes the game very welcome to newcomers, as well as RPG veterans.

When exploring the game’s world, you will never see enemies just waltzing around on the map. Instead, you enter battle via random encounters. Battle selections are essentially the same as other turn-based games, with two big twists. Brave and Default. That’s where the game’s strange title comes in, for those of you still wondering! Selecting Brave lets you take an extra turn during battle. You can take up to four extra turns at a time with Brave with all of your characters. If you play this way, the character you used will have to sit out of battle for the next three battles. This is totally fine for one-turn battles, but during longer battles, you can’t afford to take the risk of making yourself vulnerable. That’s where Default comes in. Select Default during battle to skip your turn and gain Brave points (BP). When opting to Default, you will be less vulnerable to enemy attacks. Once you get enough BP, you can unleash your multiple attacks on your foes one by one. This is an amazing feeling when done successfully, and it makes the entire battle seem worthwhile. Well done, Silicon Studio. Such a simple concept, yet so satisfying.

Did you know that this game is a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light on DS? The art style is pretty similar, and even the character models and enemies share similar attributes. While the graphics aren’t anything out of the ordinary, the hand-painted backdrops feel as if they were taken right out of a storybook. When you stop moving, some locations will zoom out to give you a bird’s eye view of the entire area. It would be nice to have an option to toggle between the views while moving, but it still is great to see these pieces of art in their full glory. Menus are user-friendly for the most part, with the exception of few out of place selections.

I have some very mixed feelings about the game’s voice acting. I’m glad it’s there, but I have to be honest and say that it is second-rate at best. For example, some characters deliver their lines rather slowly. Because of this, I found myself getting in the habit of just reading the text and skipping to the next line before waiting for them to finish. It’s unfortunate, too, because the story is pretty charming for the most part! Music is very reminiscent of any traditional JRPG. With that being said, it’s somewhat forgettable, but still fits the game. Although you don’t have to pay too much attention to detail to notice some blemishes in this game’s presentation, the good outweighs the bad in the end.

N3DS_BD_Screens_07Features

There are a ton of extra features aside from the main game that will enhance your experience. SP, an entirely new concept, allows you to stop time during a battle and deal extra damage to your temporarily frozen enemies. However, these points are obtained at a cost. One way to gain SP is to leave the game on and put your 3DS in sleep mode for 8 hours. If you’re
  65. Apr 17, 2014
    Though this game is quite fun with great audio and visuals, halfway through it becomes a nightmare and it soils said fun/audio/visual. That halfway mark not only turns the already dull story into a festering wound of nonsensical stupidity, but it also turns all the good things about the game against you. Grinding is one thing, that's to be expected with rpgs, but the monotonousThough this game is quite fun with great audio and visuals, halfway through it becomes a nightmare and it soils said fun/audio/visual. That halfway mark not only turns the already dull story into a festering wound of nonsensical stupidity, but it also turns all the good things about the game against you. Grinding is one thing, that's to be expected with rpgs, but the monotonous repetition that it forces you into becomes too much to handle. There's actually 2 endings that people reference, the generally accepted ending (end of chapter 4) or the final end after the game goes downhill (end of chapter 8). And the most insulting part of it all. You can actually beat the hidden boss(and any other boss for that matter) in 1 single attack. So if you want a good game, stop at the end of chapter 4, it's only misery from then on. Expand
  66. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is excellent. Exactly what the Final Fantasy games should have been.
    The English voice acting is a little weird though I quickly changed it to Japanese so it might have gotten better.

The art. Amazing, though towns lack the open world element that I'm used to. I cannot even begin to describe it. If you're a fan of graphics, this is a winner.

Class system is really nice and straight forward, each having a unique set of attributes and attacks. You'll find yourself trying to master all the classes. Also the little costumes are adorable.

Battle system is nice and fluid. The Brave and Default elements really make this game special. There is also an Auto Battle option if you find the combat getting a little repetitive.

My criticisms lie in the story and dungeon crawling. There is incredible amounts of repetition which is the main reason why I stopped playing. This is an absolute shame because I absolutely loved the story up to this point. I redid all the crystals twice before I was fed up.
    The repetitive dungeon crawling was a massive letdown as well. Didn't like the Fire Temple? well tough, you'll have to do it again and again. The game seriously punishes you by forcing you to redo pretty much every boss battle, even the ones for new job classes again and again.

I might pick this up again when I'm bothered but for the meantime it's staying unfinished. It's a fantastic game otherwise and an essential part of any game collection.
  67. Apr 21, 2014
    Bravely Default is a paradox. Much of the game is incredibly innovative and fresh, such as the battle system, the writing, and especially the story (which takes the classic FF plot and completely turns it on its head.) Yet at the same time, it also clings endearingly to its roots in older games like FFIII, with its classic leveling and job systems, as well as the core overworld+dungeonBravely Default is a paradox. Much of the game is incredibly innovative and fresh, such as the battle system, the writing, and especially the story (which takes the classic FF plot and completely turns it on its head.) Yet at the same time, it also clings endearingly to its roots in older games like FFIII, with its classic leveling and job systems, as well as the core overworld+dungeon system that has been always mainstay of oldschool RPGs.

I can't emphasize how important this juxtaposition of old and new is to the game's core. We have chibi characters with high pitched voices... making veiled sexual jokes and addressing issues such as business ethics and prostitution. The game opens with beautiful, symphonic music as one would expect from this genre. Then the rest of the soundtrack is full of electric guitars and head pounding drum beats. One could say that BD is a game that doesn't know what kind of style it wants to go for. But the developers have somehow managed to keep the game feeling cohesive, which is a feat in and of itself. The result is a truly fascinating and unique game.

Moving into more specifics. I loved the graphical style of the game, which features cute, deformed characters on gorgeous backdrops. It works very well on the 3DS. The soundtrack is... outstanding. I can't even think of a good word to describe the score of this game, from its use of theme and variation to its huge variety of musical styles and instruments, all of which are executed perfectly.

The gameplay is similarly well executed, if not a bit predictable at times. The sheer variety of strategic options in BD's battle system keeps battles interesting, and inclusions such as a fast forward button are welcomed for grinding sessions. Speaking of grinding, the overall difficulty of the game is very well scaled, and the final boss in particular pulls no punches, being able to OHKO a party that doesn't play defensively.

All in all, BD is a standout title in the 3DS's already stellar library. Why did it lose 1 point from me? For me, it really comes down to the last 10 or so hours of the game, which progress very slowly, and feel like a bit of a cheap shot for extending the game's length. Then again, this is a 50-60 hour game, and by the time one reaches the aforementioned portion, the suspense in the plot should be enough to propel him/her to the end. Nevertheless, I felt it to be a slight blemish on this otherwise amazing game.

I struggled to think of a way to close this review and sum up BD... But I really can't. There's just too much going on in this package to tie up and present. Go play it!
  68. Apr 25, 2014
    To be direct, this game satisfied an innate desire to play an evolved yet similar old-school Final Fantasy game from my youth. It may go under a different title, but I assure you this is a fantastic throwback to Squaresoft's jrpg heyday from the SNES/PS1 era.

Graphics: The first thing you'll notice about the game is how it takes full advantage of the 3DS capabilities, offering

Graphics:

The first thing you'll notice about the game is how it takes full advantage of the 3DS capabilities, offering beautiful environments and an excellent 3D effect. The first time you see the zoom-out effect you'll understand what I mean. The graphics stay true throughout, and for my part I never got bored. The character designs do follow a more cutesy type approach, but not to the detriment of the game. I found myself appreciating the artstyle, despite having really disliked the DS remake of FFII (IV) character models. Silicon Studio, the developer of the game (it was published by Square-Enix in Japan, and by Nintendo of America for the rest of the world), shows an incredible amount of artistic talent throughout the game.

One thing I could have used more of, however, were extra FMV cutscenes.

Gameplay:

The most important gameplay element that sets this game apart from your typical turn-based rpg is that there is a option to either attack, Brave, of Default. The Brave option allows you command an extra attack, up to a maximum of 4. The Default option allows you to store up Brave points, also serving as a 'guard' like function, reducing physical damages taken from enemies. At later stages in the game, learning the battle system and how to properly use it becomes essential to beating some of the bigger and meaner bosses. It is an excellent system, and one of my favorite parts of the game.

The class system is fun and interesting, with new and never seen before jobs that are creative and fun. I never felt compelled to max out all of the classes, and some are far more useful than others. I was also satisfied with the 'special moves' that characters could get after completing a number of actions. These special moves could be customized, which meant that they could be tailored to attack the weaknesses of certain bosses, allowing for more engaging loadout procedures.

The game does not offer much up in terms of a battle arena or extra gameplay options, which in my opinion could have helped when the game started to feel slightly repetitive.

Sound:

The music in BD is excellent. I won't go into too much detail, but the tracks are varied and catchy, without ever getting on your nerves (even after your 30th dungeon crawl to one of the same tunes).

The voice acting, however, I had some trouble digesting. I found both the English and Japanese voice acting only served to make the characters feel more childish and less accessible from an emphatic point of view. I very quickly turned it off and read the text instead. Some people seemed to enjoy the voicework, so I suppose this is purely objective.

Story:

This is where I'm sort of mixed, opinion-wise. I didn't love the story, but I didn't hate it either. It was a competent attempt at delivering a kind of scifi yet not storyline. Where it failed was in the character interactions, and more importantly, in keeping a steady and focused sense of narrative progression throughout. It would oftentimes jump back and forth, repeat cutscenes and dialogue exchanges, and resorted to some lazy corner cutting. It is not only noticeable, but disappointing. I honestly felt like the premise for the story was solid and even interesting, but its potential was let down by its execution.

Hopes for Bravely Second:

- I'd like to see more of those gorgeous environments and excellent 3DS battle stages.
    - Keep the music coming!
    - A more developed storyline, more focused on delivery than relying on its concept alone. Pay more attention to the character interactions, make the characters a bit more lively and less reliant on their stereotypical personalities.
    - Don't make me repeat the second part of the game 5 times, please. Extending the playtime in a game for the sake of adding bulk is annoying. I put 98h into this game, when it could easily have ended around the 60h mark.

Thanks for reading!
  69. Apr 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic! Just the fresh of breath air that JRPGs needed. While somewhat cliche in some regards (amnesia, anyone?), it's the actual game mechanics and vibrant personalities of the main characters that saves the day. You are a Warrior of Light on your way to revive Luxendarc's crystals with a helpful cryst-fairy to lead the way! What an adventure!

My favourite aspect of Bravely Default was the Jobs system. Being someone who loved Final Fantasy 5, I was extremely pleased to see its return. What I particularly liked was how you could pair it with another job class for very interesting strategies. Pairing up the right classes can completely revitalize your team, keep everyone's BP above 0, deal 9999 damage *per attack* (try braving four times to instantly take out bosses), and so forth. Yet the classes are so iconic it has retained the old school feel.

Ever feel like battles drag or you're level grinding? Bravely Default has you covered with a super fast forward option to speed the battle up and an auto-control option where it copies your last few moves. It makes grinding much less painful.

Story-wise it was just like the classic Final Fantasy games. It does get convoluted a bit towards the end, but hey, it's a Square-Enix game and considered a Final Fantasy reboot, what else was there to expect? However at a certain point, the pacing drops like crazy and it's like replaying the game not once... not twice... not even three times. FOUR times. What the hell? Granted it progresses the story in other fascinating, wonderful ways but couldn't there have been a better way to do it?

All in all, despite the blips, it's a very fun, entertaining and solid game. I'm excited to see where the series goes next!
  70. May 1, 2014
    This game is really fantastic in a lot of ways, like its nice to look at artstyle, the lovable characters, the good combat system with a nice twist and a interesting story. But after playing it for 50+ hours I'm done with it completely before even getting close to the ending because of repetition being a part of the story.... There is nothing worse in video games than having to do the sameThis game is really fantastic in a lot of ways, like its nice to look at artstyle, the lovable characters, the good combat system with a nice twist and a interesting story. But after playing it for 50+ hours I'm done with it completely before even getting close to the ending because of repetition being a part of the story.... There is nothing worse in video games than having to do the same stuff over and over and over again but unfortunately this is what the player is doing for the majority of the game. The Street Pass is completely useless if you're living somewhere with no Bravely Default players around making a rather big part of the game unbeatable. At least everybody can adjust the difficulty depending on what the person wants from this game by making it either pathetically easy or a grind fest for the hardcore gamers with too much time at their hands. If you're looking for an engaging experience from beginning to end you'll be sorely disappointed. I can only recommend this game to people who don't mind seeing the same stuff over and over again. Expand
  71. May 2, 2014
    This game was fun. Maybe a little too easy on normal once you understand brave system and get some of the better jobs. Now I'm on chapter 5: yesterday's scenery and I'm like WTF. Why on earth would I want to fight almost all of the bosses in the game again 3 Times? I mean sure put that **** in the game for the people who WANT to do it, don't force everyone to do it just to get theThis game was fun. Maybe a little too easy on normal once you understand brave system and get some of the better jobs. Now I'm on chapter 5: yesterday's scenery and I'm like WTF. Why on earth would I want to fight almost all of the bosses in the game again 3 Times? I mean sure put that **** in the game for the people who WANT to do it, don't force everyone to do it just to get the cinematic ending. They really just took what is honestly a game that would take about 45-55 hours to complete and bumped it up to more like 65-75. The other problem is the latter parts of the first part of the game are way too **** easy so I didn't even do any random encounters in chapter 4 so now I'm all under level and the damn bosses only dish out JP in chapter 5. I know I could fix all this, but seriously I was expecting the ending to be badass like FF3 where you just level up a little, collect the best gear, and go own the crystal tower. I just feel a little ripped off, because I would have been excited to finish the game if they had made a proper ending, but now I'm thinking of just playing DQ 6 instead. Expand
  72. May 2, 2014
    This is the same kind of Japanese RPG experience older gamers will remember from the SNES or PSOne, and I say this in the most complimentary way possible. Everything is here: an apotheotic world-saving plot, quirky characters, turn-based combat and loads of innovative features that should please old fans and new players alike.

You command a party of four characters with different

You command a party of four characters with different backgrounds: good-boy Tiz, who has witnessed the destruction of his home village; Agnès, vestal of wind, an important religious figure; Ringabel, a mysterious womanizer who has lost his memory; and Edea, daughter to one of the main antagonists. They are filled with personality and there's a lot of character development through the story. Some dialogue sections and cutscenes overstay their welcome, but there are many genuinely interesting moments, usually featuring Ringabel and one of his antics.

Arguably, the best feature in display is the job system. The game has a very Mega Man-like way of getting new abilities: after they are defeated, some bosses give you their "job asterisk", which allows you to assign that job to any of your characters. Aside from their current job, each character may keep a number of abilities gotten by their previous ones, leading to some great opportunities to mix-and-match in search of the perfect combination.

There's also great innovation in the turn-based combat with the "Brave" and "Default" abilities: the former lets you take turns in advance in order to act more times on a single sitting, while the latter allows you to "save" action opportunities for later. It works perfectly, and adds quite a few layers of strategy to the tried-and-true formula. Another noteworthy feature is the rebuilding of Norende village, a simple and cool real-time strategy subgame that gives you access to more special abilities, weapons and items. It's also worth noting that the game features microtransactions, but don't worry: they are largely useless, and you can get everything in the game without spending a single extra dime.

The story is your typical JRPG fare, very reminiscent of earlier Final Fantasy games, and as such isn't terribly innovative. It's usually interesting enough to keep you playing, featuring a lot of twists and turns, and overall avoiding simplistic manichaeism. The world is well-built, but that still doesn't justify the humongous amount of backtracking forced on the player in the late game, which is one of the game's main flaws. The story keeps getting more intriguing precisely at that time, however, which will be a good reason for most players to persevere.

Filled with content and offering a potentially huge main campaign (at over 100 hours, it is by far my most-played game on the 3DS right now), Bravely Default is a tight package that should keep any RPG fan happy. It's Square Enix going back to its roots and doing more of what they do best.

Rating: 9.0
  73. May 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favourite thing about this game is that you can change the game difficulty and the encounter percentage. It is very similar to Final Fantasy but it's a little better. This game is very good except for the repeating features such as when the 4 characters awake the crystals (which is an in-game feature) over and over again. Also,, the voice acting in English isn't too good but.. I'm okay with it. I would recommend it to anyone 10+. Expand
  74. May 16, 2014
    A great experience for about the first 12-15 hours or so, then it gets real boring real fast. The plot devolves into generic RPG fare, the characters start to get on your nerves, and the amount of backtracking put in place to pad out the game's length begins to rear its ugly head as well.

There's tons of innovative little stuff in the game like Norende and abilink, and the battle system (on normal difficulty) provides a nice puzzle at each of the boss fights, although most of the grunts can be taken care of in one turn.

If you don't mind doing a lot of grinding between long stretches of absolutely nothing happening in the plot, then you probably won't mind. If you're the type of player that enjoys leveling up all the job classes fully, then you'll find plenty of opportunity for just that.

But if you're looking for an interesting story told at a good pace to keep you engaged, you'll be a bit disappointed with BD.
  75. May 27, 2014
    Story: 10/10
    - Intriguing story, always aware of its elements and progression.
    Gameplay: 8/10 - The Brave and Default mechanic during battles makes turn-based fights more vivid and intense. Art: 9/10 - Stylized and charismatic. Characters: 9/10 - Substantial character growth throughout the game, it makes the player wonder about everyone's backstory and relationship to each other.
    Story: 10/10
    - Intriguing story, always aware of its elements and progression.
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Art: 9/10
    - Stylized and charismatic.
    Characters: 9/10
    Sound: 9/10
    - Enjoyable soundtracks; each playable character has her/his own special move theme.
    Enjoyment: 10/10
    - I had a lot of fun playing this game from start to finish.
    The intricate story made the game's characters fascinating and amusing.
  76. May 27, 2014
    Very good Square Enix! Back to the basics. I couldnt beg enough for a traditional, turn based rpg. Now all they need is a console game, and ill be in love again =) This delivers this and much more. Story is awesome, job class intergration with each character plus the more friends you have, the more benefits you get from them. 100+ hour game to do everything. A def play for 3ds owners andVery good Square Enix! Back to the basics. I couldnt beg enough for a traditional, turn based rpg. Now all they need is a console game, and ill be in love again =) This delivers this and much more. Story is awesome, job class intergration with each character plus the more friends you have, the more benefits you get from them. 100+ hour game to do everything. A def play for 3ds owners and rpg lovers. Expand
  77. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I'm about to say might shock some people, but, Bravely Default was not THAT amazing. I gave it an 8, yes, because it was a good game, what it was not however is "OMG the best thing since sliced bread" or "The rebirth of the classics or whatever". What it did is just take good elements from older games and keep them good, more accurately as the spiritual successor to Final Fantasy and the 4 Heroes of Light, it basically redeemed it. The game has a lot of classic elements like the job system and related skills, many of which are well balanced and you'd find it hard to make it through the whole game without at least using every job once. The combat I especially love, the introduction of 'Brave' And Default', while very obviously forced was a simple and highly effective inclusion, it's nice to able to get weak enemies out of the way easily by braving the stuffing out of them. Other than that though the game doesn't have much else to offer, aside from the Dark Knight every job related character is a personified embodiment of their job and after fighting them a million times in the the most thoughtlessly included back and forth timeline in the history of video games I quickly learned to hate them, though I can appreciate them for what they were and how they changed based on the same situation with different variables. That was my only major gripe with the game, the going back and forth through the same world, overcoming the same temples, beating the same bosses over and over. yes they changed slightly, but not enough to keep it from getting boring. It was a game that could have benefited from less, if it had gone straight from beating the temples the first time straight to the end I'd have liked it a lot more, granted it wouldn't have made any sense, but it'd be a sacrifice I was willing to pay by the end of the game.
    Overall it was a great game though, would highly recommend to all RPG fans, just try not to be discouraged when it starts to get boring. Am really looking forward to the sequel: Bravely Second.
  78. Jun 5, 2014
    Great game that harkens back to older Final Fantasy before it went to all flash and little substance. A Final Fantasy game just without the name. Probably more FF than 13 I'd say. The only minor flaw in the game is its ending (at least if you are going for the True Ending). The last 2 chapters are nothing but a big long boss run. You'll probably want it done by end of Chapter 6 rather thanGreat game that harkens back to older Final Fantasy before it went to all flash and little substance. A Final Fantasy game just without the name. Probably more FF than 13 I'd say. The only minor flaw in the game is its ending (at least if you are going for the True Ending). The last 2 chapters are nothing but a big long boss run. You'll probably want it done by end of Chapter 6 rather than 8. Still at least play it until chapter 6 and then perhaps find the “not so true ending” and be done with it.

Pros:
    1) Great gameplay
    2) Excellent customizations (difficulty and random encounters can be set on the fly)
    3) Great combat / Brave / Default tactics
    4) Good class customizations

Cons:
    1) Last 2 chapters
    2) Cheesy (even daft) main characters who can't think logically... (well the game tries to justify it but its pretty obvious they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Conclusion:
    Get this game if you have any small interest in RPGs especially JPRGS. Actually … you probably already bought it if you are a fan of JRPGs. Everyone else should give it a try. Wished they would make a proper console (not handled version) or at least vita with better graphics (cant blame the game as the hardware limited this)
  79. Jun 12, 2014
    First of all I like the BP combat system, adds a little bit of variety to your classic turn based rpg.
    The rebuilding of the town to unlock items and being able to send and receive moves to your friends is also kind of neat.
    The SP idea is cool (you get 1 point per 8 hours in sleep) but I don't like the idea of being able to buy 'SP drinks' with real money. Please leave the micro transactions to phone games.
    This game really utilizes the 3D and it looks great.
    Really my only issue with the game is that the story and dialogue is god awful.
  80. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished this 3DS game last week. And i must tell you that the game is great. I mean square enix is back to the basic again. I guess we'll see more great games from Square Enix soon.
    The story start with Tiz, a normal villager who suddenly lost his entire village and family to a great chasm, leaving a big hole on where it used to be. And soon after that, he met Agnes, the Wind Vestal who is looking for a way to fix what happened, together with her fairy, Airy. So, can Tiz & Agnes find out what happened and fix it? Play and find out about it.

Plus point:
    - Oldschool RPG. I mean, this is the kind of RPG we are looking for now. A turn based one, with a great adventure waiting. It's a basic RPG, which makes it good.
    - Great plot. I mean you totally won't see that coming. The reason for the Great Chasm, the reason why the Marshall wants to kill Agnes, and the mastermind behind all of this? It's kinda mind blowing.
    - LOTS of jobs to choose. I mean like LOTS of it. From Ninja, Swordmaster, even Vampire. This just makes the game enjoyable. People can find their own style with the job they likes. So everyone can have a different experience when playing the same game.
    - Dual voice! Which is awesome. Finally Square Enix understands the need of their gamer. Hearing those cute voice of Edea is just awesome!

Minus point:
    - Even though it has a great plot, the execution is kinda bad. I mean can you stand the same story, and the same pattern for 4 chapters straight? That's just crazy and makes it boring at one point.
    - The world is too small, and not enough adventures. I thought that the journey would be much longer and would took us to lots of different places, but i was wrong. The world map is small and has limited place to explore.

The Verdict: Bravely Default is great classic RPG for us. If you have 3DS, just grab it. But i must remind you first, the game gets boring at some point. Also, the story isn't as simple as you think. You gonna need a little thinking to understand it. The game is totally fun, and refreshing. 8.5 for this game.
  81. Jul 7, 2014
    Okay, first off. This game, is my favorite Video Game of all time, and it is very hard to even get on my top 10 list, so you imagine how amazing this game is for me. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for RPGs, but this is more than a typical RPG.

First off, the Visuals, absolutely gorgeous. There are a lot of minute details that are so fun to notice, such as noticing Anchiem has no earth underneath it, and is just hanging from its sides. There isn't much to say about the visuals except for the fact that they're absolutely stunning.

The music. While it never stood out to me, it is still a very nice soundtrack that I wouldn't mind purchasing at all. Also, the Voice Acting is very well done. Anyone who says otherwise... Mrgrgr...

The story... If I did explain even the first 30 minutes, I'd go way over the 5000 character limit. So, I'll explain just the intro. You are greeted by a little fairy, and she asks you to go on a journey, and to never leave. Not much choice with this game, or... At all... She assumes you say yes and thanks you, and you are introduced to our four main characters through the most beautiful cutscene in gaming. You see a Girl, wielding a sword, and you hear her explain herself. "I am Edea Lee" are the first things you hear. She is battling a Master of the sword and loses, she then is given a blade by the Swordsmaster after hers is broken, and then sent off. She is the daughter of the Templar, but you don't quite know who that is until later on. You then are introduced to a man in a city, he says he has no memory, but says his name is "Ringabel", which I greatly enjoy the pun of, he is introduced as a "ladies' man". You then see a girl in a temple. "I am Angés Oblige." You hear. She then says she is the "Vestal of Wind", whatever that means. (You find out later.) She is praying to a Green Crystal. (The Wind Crystal, it's a Final Fantasy-esque game, what did you expect?) Then it turns a black and seems to explode. You hear "Protect the Vestal!" and all the Torches lighting the area go black. You then are introduced to a young man, "My name is Tiz Arrior." you hear. He lives with hid Brother, Til, in the village of Norende, living a calm, peaceful life. Suddenly, the city starts being consumed by an abyss forming from the inside out. Tiz and Til run, but Til falls, Tiz manages to grab his hand and attempts to pull him up. Til says to his brother, "Let me go! We'll both fall at this rate!" and Tiz still keeps trying, but he loses his grip, and his brother falls... An amazing way to introduce you to the characters, huh? The rest of the story gets even better, especially with all the side-quests giving you bonus parts of the story (along with new jobs).

The Gameplay is where the game shines its brightest, so, I'll start with the selling point of the game, the Brave and Default system. You have Brave Points, every action requires one Brave Point and you get a Brave Point at the end of a turn. You can use Brave up to three times per turn, allowing for a maximum of 4 actions per character. Default is the guard of this game, but not only that, but it doesn't cost Brave Points to use, so you can accumulate Brave Points over time. You can also Brave from the beginning and go into the Negative, but until you're back out of negative BP, you can't act. Also, there's SP, which is BP on steroids. You can accumulate SP by putting your DS in Sleep Mode while Playing, and every 8 hours, you get 1 SP. s with BP, you can get a maximum of 3 SP, and also go into the negatives. What makes SP so special is that you can use it at any time. Also, while attacking with SP, you can go over the damage limit of 9,999 and go all the way up to 999,999 damage in one attack, which is easy in no way, shape, or form. Also is the Job system. These are the incentives to doing side quests, unless you want the story like me. You can get ~9 jobs through the main story, but with side quests you can get all the others for a total of 24 each character can have 2 jobs at the same time, one primary, the other secondary. The primary job grants the look of the character and a passive ability and can level up. The secondary only has the battle commands for that job. You can switch jobs at any time, allowing for a lot of customization. Along with attack commands, when a job levels up you can unlock a support ability, which is an equip-able passive skill. You start with one support slot and unlock 4 more throughout the story. Some abilities take up more than one slot. A support skill can be used regardless of what job you are, whether you are using the job that it is from or not. The entire job system allows for so much character customization and I love it for that. There's also an equipment system and item system, generic Final Fantasy stuff. But the equipment is more like Dragon Quest 9's equipment system, minus effecting the character's look (minus costumes).

So, yeah. My favorite game, and why. Do yourself a favor and buy it.
  82. Jul 17, 2014
    I'm giving it 5/10, because the customizable battle system is absolutely wonderful and the graphics are great for 3DS, the streetpass town progression was a great idea, however it ceases being of any use after a few hours in the game, and that's really too bad.

However this is where it ends, the story is absolutely bare bones and the characters have zero charisma and the humor is abysmal and offensively dumb. A very disappointing game, if they re-use the battle system within a good game, I would love to tackle it. As it stands after about 8 hours of the game, I decided that it just was not worth my time.
  83. Aug 19, 2014
    When I first got the game, I was a bit shaky because of the odd title. So when I started playing it, I was amazed. Each town has wonderful art and the battle system is very unique. It has many different jobs and abilities, making no team the same, and adds a lot of variety.
  84. Aug 23, 2014
    Game: Bravely Default
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Squareenix/Silicon Studios System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 95/100 Value Score: 9.5/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Colorful cast of characters +Very Original Storyline +Game
    Game: Bravely Default
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Squareenix/Silicon Studios
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 95/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Colorful cast of characters
    +Very Original Storyline
    +Game plays like classic Final Fantasy series
    +A lot of great aspects from the FF series such as the items, equipment, magic spells, enemy cameos, summon cameos and story elements
    +Job system is like a mixture of FF3/5's job system with FF9's leveling up system
    +A lot of customization such as changing enemy encounter rate, difficulty, speed of battles
    +A lot of social player features such as the ability to send your skills over to a friend
    +Unique mini game where you can rebuild Norende town which can yield to powerful items and extra boss battles with unique monsters
    +New Game+ is included with more than 1 ending
    +Well designed environments and overall design
    +Great sound effects and a fantastic sound track
    +A lot of replayability and length in the overall game

Cons
    -Some of the characters seem generic or just too annoying
    -Storyline builds up great but somewhat becomes repetitive second half of the game with few people may hating this aspect although it brings somewhat of a few differences
  85. Sep 10, 2014
    Bravely Default is a fantastic game. A traditional jRPG in nature, it also brings its own distinct style to the genre, and is sure to please fans of older Final Fantasy games. The story revolves around four youngsters brought together to protect the world from darkness. It's effective and engaging, although it does get repetitive in the latter half of the game. The soundtrack is excellent,Bravely Default is a fantastic game. A traditional jRPG in nature, it also brings its own distinct style to the genre, and is sure to please fans of older Final Fantasy games. The story revolves around four youngsters brought together to protect the world from darkness. It's effective and engaging, although it does get repetitive in the latter half of the game. The soundtrack is excellent, sporting many beautiful tracks. Bravely Default also has some of the nicest-looking graphics on the 3DS. The characters are chibi-style, and do not look harsh against the backdrops, containing some of the most beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds and locales I have ever seen. The gameplay is turn-based and in the same vein as older Final Fantasy games, with an extensive Job system allowing for great character customization. The uniqueness of its gameplay comes in the "Brave" and "Default" actions, which allow for stacking of commands in a single turn to decimate foes. For want of criticism, the game feels stretched and overlong, bosses have sudden and huge difficulty spikes, and the voice-acting can grate. If you're willing to overlook this, though, you're lloking at one of the best jRPGs in recent memory. Expand
  86. Nov 4, 2014
    Beautiful game art, amazing soundtrack. Great for anyone who loves the classic, turn-based RPG feel. Large selection of jobs to choose from, amazing story line. What more can anyone ask for?
  87. Nov 8, 2014
    This would be a 10 if it weren't for the second half. Simply a must play game for JRPG fans. The story and production is perfect in this game. Play it if you like JRPGS
  88. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say about this game that made buy a 2DS just to play it? Just that it was worth it, the only thing that is a low point in the game is to reawake the crystals a lot of times, but story is good, the characters are charismatics and I never got tired of the gameplay Expand
  89. Dec 10, 2014
    While the art style and new interesting take on the battle system make "Bravley Default" stand out from other JRPG's, its gameplay mechanics still feel incredibly outdated by today's standards. While some fun can be found, the absence of a decent story and the inclusion of near terrible voice acting, makes me question if this game was really worth going through.
  90. Dec 18, 2014
    Considering how awful the Final Fantasy 13 series has been, I was afraid Bravely Default would be yet another disappointment from Square Enix. I am happy to say my fears were unfounded. Bravely Default is an amazing RPG that channels the best of the Final Fantasy series without feeling like it is standing on its shoulders.

It’s as if Squeenix drafted a team of long time Final Fantasy

It’s as if Squeenix drafted a team of long time Final Fantasy fans and let them put whatever they wanted into the game (except the name Final Fantasy in the title). I went in expecting a shallow time-waster that would feel like a FF5 clone. This is not true at all. My biggest surprise is how much I enjoyed the story and grew to like the characters. The overall tone is more lighthearted than, say, FF7 but B.D. still manages to deliver a fun narrative that keeps you playing. This includes surprisingly sharp dialogue and genuinely funny exchanges (such as Edea’s pronunciation of “Mrgrgr!” and her frequent bickering with Ringabel).

The narrative is not the only thing that will keep you playing, though. Everything else is great, too, from the voice acting to the music, visuals & gameplay. The whole brave/default system is a brilliant idea which breathes new life into turn-based combat. It goes very well with the large number of jobs you can unlock.

I could go on for quite a long time naming all the features I love about this game, but suffice it to say that you will like it if you are an old school Final Fantasy fan or a RPG fan in general. If you already have a 3DS it is a must play and if you don’t have one and like RPGs, you should think long & hard about getting a 3DS. If Squeenix is going to continue sinking the FF series into the toilet, then B.D. is a wonderful start for a new series that can be its successor.
  91. Feb 14, 2015
    Bravely default is a gem. I have finally come around and warmed to JRPG's and this is one of the better ones out now (modern releases). If you like JRPG's aswell this one should be in your gaming catalogue. ATM. I can't wait for the second one, go buy this one asap.
  92. Feb 15, 2015
    i loved this game. i just wish the last half of the game was cut out. can't wait for bravely second. awesome gameplay mechanics. i want more. bravely second will be the best game ever if it doesn't have repetitive last half of game.
  93. Feb 16, 2015
    When I first picked up the game and played through the first half of the story, I thought this would be an easy 9/10 review. It *almost* reminds me of the good ol' JRPG days, with great character building and tweaking (see FF job systems), and pretty decent story, too. But that all ended for me once I hit the half-way point of the story. I don't want to spoil anything but the second halfWhen I first picked up the game and played through the first half of the story, I thought this would be an easy 9/10 review. It *almost* reminds me of the good ol' JRPG days, with great character building and tweaking (see FF job systems), and pretty decent story, too. But that all ended for me once I hit the half-way point of the story. I don't want to spoil anything but the second half of the game is such an utter disappointment - incredibly repetitive with zero incentive to the story - to really keep plowing through. Bummer. Expand
  94. Feb 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Recently I just finished Bravely Default and all I have to say is... Wow. From the job system, to the colorful new Brave/Default combat system, and the intriguing story, it's a blast and enjoyable for any fan of RPGs. The artwork and most of the music is gorgeous as well.

The cons? About halfway through the game it feels like Square hit a budget wall and cops out by having you re-do the four crystal awakenings 5 times! (For the TRUE ending anyways) This sadly brought my amazement to a grinding halt as the 16 extra crystal awakenings felt tedious as all hell with little story or character development during it all.

So why did I give it an 8? It's still a blast. Towards the end it picks up speed again and throws in a few interesting twists and has a mindblowing last boss fight that I thoroughly enjoyed.

TL;DR- New job system, new combat, interesting plot, good music, slow tedious patch for a chunk in the middle. Worth getting? Yes.
  95. Mar 11, 2015
    the game is okay but it serves many problems in its story. there are quite some plot holes and the main characters are plain and one dimensional, they just dont get enough focus. only ringabel gets decent development but its mostly due to one of the bosses. in this game almost every single human boss is more interesting than the 4 mc ( which is specialy jarring due to Tiz, the playerthe game is okay but it serves many problems in its story. there are quite some plot holes and the main characters are plain and one dimensional, they just dont get enough focus. only ringabel gets decent development but its mostly due to one of the bosses. in this game almost every single human boss is more interesting than the 4 mc ( which is specialy jarring due to Tiz, the player character, being absolutley un-nessesary... if he was not there the story would be the same). the twist was not that great ... surprizing but shallow in the end because the main bad guy has no real motive for being evil ... it just is evil for the sake of being evil and not in an interesting way.
    the gameplay is great. its the only good reason why to play this game, its combat system is deep and strategy plays a bigger role than grinding. tons of choises and posible playstyles are there. however this is an rpg from the FF serie and when the gameplay is better than its story it somehow feels cheap. but whats more cheap is the fact that after ch.4 half of the game consists on backtracking and killing the same bosses over and over for no justifiable reason other than making the game longer... they didnt even bother to change their attack patterns so they become pushovers by the time you fight them again ... and again and again.
    summary: the combat system is great and an example of great turn based combar, but the story is bad and so are the character developments. i dont really consider it worthy of so much praise its been given
  96. Mar 15, 2015
    This game is , in my opinion, one of the best games of 2014. The battle system, from which the game derives is name, is very innovative. Other than the standard options, you have a 'Brave' and a 'Default' option. Using the 'Brave' option, you can attack multiple times in a turn and by using the 'Default' option, you can bide your time and attack. This makes for some interesting strategicalThis game is , in my opinion, one of the best games of 2014. The battle system, from which the game derives is name, is very innovative. Other than the standard options, you have a 'Brave' and a 'Default' option. Using the 'Brave' option, you can attack multiple times in a turn and by using the 'Default' option, you can bide your time and attack. This makes for some interesting strategical choices.
    This game also has a huge selection of jobs, each job being unique and having its own unique abilities and attacks. This offers even more choices to the player as you can play the game the way you want.
    This game also has a good story and a large amount of game time.
    One of the major flaws of this game is the repetitiveness of the second half of the game. Without spoiling too much, you are forced to repeat the same tasks over and over again. This just takes away all the momentum of the story and it turns out the be a grind. I almost stopped playing the game at this point.
    But I kept plugging away and I finally did finish the game, and the ending proved to be worth it.
    This major flaw alone should make the game get a 7/10, but honestly, I had a lot of fun with this game, and I have decided to award it an 8/10.
  97. Apr 1, 2015
    A flawed Master piece: Bravely Default is a wonderful game that has a great turned based battle structure that allows you to manipulate the flow of the game by speeding up or slowing down the random encounter of monster. The game also has an amazing hand drawn background with the 3DS graphics the game looks stunning and also has an interesting story line and ideas but seems to drop offA flawed Master piece: Bravely Default is a wonderful game that has a great turned based battle structure that allows you to manipulate the flow of the game by speeding up or slowing down the random encounter of monster. The game also has an amazing hand drawn background with the 3DS graphics the game looks stunning and also has an interesting story line and ideas but seems to drop off quickly. Around half way the game just story of stops and rewinds , which at first is very interesting, but the game literally makes you do the exact same thing over again. It would possibly be a 10 if it wasn't for the fact that the game literally just stops and makes you do everything over again, same posses, same levels, everything with a few different conversations thrown in. Everything else about the game is fantastic, Bravely is a wonderful hand drawn game with few major mistakes thrown in. Some people find these flaws too much and stop playing it. I guess this would be the same as the ending of Windwaker where you have to go find the 8 pieces at the end. It seems tacked on, it seems like a weak attempt to extend the game. This means that Bravely Default is a good game instead of a classic... Expand

1. Apr 14, 2014
    It sounds like a lot, and it is, but not in an overwhelming way but in a fantastic, three in the morning, I can’t stop playing this game kind of way. When it all comes together and you destroy a boss that gave you troubles just a few job levels ago, it feels great.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    It's got a lovely fresh coat of paint, but underneath that Bravely Default is the same old thing.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Bravely Deafult is the best game from Square-Enix in a long time and a must for fans of classic Final Fantasy. The battle and work system, as well as the history and the graphics is natural progresses of a gamemaking many deemed nostalgic.