Bravely Default 3DS

8.4

1. Feb 7, 2015
    Half of the game is repeated... not once, not twice... but over and over and over again. It's a cheap and lazy way of extending the game's play time. A HUGE flaw in an otherwise decent JRPG with a mediocre story but excellent class and ability system. The battle system and gear selection force a little more strategy into boss fights than I am accustomed to in JRPGs, and was one of theHalf of the game is repeated... not once, not twice... but over and over and over again. It's a cheap and lazy way of extending the game's play time. A HUGE flaw in an otherwise decent JRPG with a mediocre story but excellent class and ability system. The battle system and gear selection force a little more strategy into boss fights than I am accustomed to in JRPGs, and was one of the bright spots in an otherwise typical game. Learning the strategies for each boss was a lot of fun... even if they weren't exactly difficult. Only once or twice did my entire team wipe. Even the few times I did lose and reload from the last checkpoint, it was a simple matter of changing up gearjobsabilities to adjust to a new strategy. I would have scored it higher had I not had to replay certain parts of the game multiple times! Ridiculous. Expand
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Bravely Default has a turn based combat system of great depth. There's probably a little bit too much level grinding in it but it is satisfying when you feel your attacks becoming more powerful and your able to steam roll enemies which had previously been problematic.

Then random battles are there for a reason. So you can experiment with different job classes and tactics and to try out new equipment and magic. But there isn't enough content to go round and the ground hog day final chapters are extremely repetitive as you repeat yourself over and over and over and over again.

Characters are so-so and the story is not worth mentioning. The street-pass features are pointless. Great presentation, graphics and music.

Overall a highly polished turn based RPG with derivative story and not enough content for it's deep combat system.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    The game have fantastic graphics and designs , have good songs + music and atmosphere.

The game bear alot of similarities with the final fantasy series, it is a nice comeback to old rpg. It have many classes and options for combat and you can match any skills you want to create your ideal character. The story is a bit shallow and cliché , could have been better. The combat system

The story is a bit shallow and cliché , could have been better.

The combat system even with all its option and classes is not that good also , i could say pointless ... All you have to do is use all your bravery of each characters, use it on simple attacks , press auto (y) and you can kill anything except bosses in one round before they can act. What is the point in having so many classes ans skills if all you have to do is auto attack and win ?

What i found pretty nice is the option to control how many monsters you encounter , so if you wish to grind some exp, just put the option to + 100% encounter. If you dont want pesty monsters ? No problem , downgrade it to 0% !
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    The game's visuals are great. The soundtrack, a masterpiece. The gameplay is engrossing, but highly repetitive. To complete random battles without crippling yourself you will have perform anywhere from 16 to 64 commands in a single turn. After a short while, it gets repetitive. Repetitive are also all the dungeons of the game. The Job system is the star of the gameplay, but if you playedThe game's visuals are great. The soundtrack, a masterpiece. The gameplay is engrossing, but highly repetitive. To complete random battles without crippling yourself you will have perform anywhere from 16 to 64 commands in a single turn. After a short while, it gets repetitive. Repetitive are also all the dungeons of the game. The Job system is the star of the gameplay, but if you played FF3, FF5 or their derivatives, this is just more of the same. Bosses will often perform the same 2-4 moves in order, being almost impossible to defeat for the wrong combination of jobs, but extremely easy for the right one, which doesn't really allow for any emergent gameplay, despite the jobs' apparent potential for it.

Finally, the rating is only 6 because story is to me the most important part of an RPG. Bravely Default tries to include higher depth and coherence than the usual JRPG fare, but fails to introduce any new structure to the game, which is an unforgivable flaw. Each dungeon concludes with a boss or event. If you are walking somewhere and there is a cave nearby, be assured that's your next story destination. There are 4 crystals and 4 continents, plus you can guess the order in which you will visit them from the very beginning. The game is, in short, extremely linear. While the plot tries to throw twists and mysteries at you, you will see everything coming long before it happens. The characters themselves are pure stereotypes. As a final blow, the endgame is already famously jarring and repetitive, involving forced grinding through the same content multiple times for a good ending.
    Notably, though, the english voice acting is remarkable. You will probably still hate Agnés.
  5. Feb 9, 2014
    Bravely Default is a game that can be praised for taking the elements of a classic Final Fantasy title and install a brand new twist. The plot and characters feel like something straight from the SNES Final Fantasy titles with a more modern atmosphere and more fleshed out characters. Possibly one of the biggest selling point of this game is the gameplay which incorporates a simple yetBravely Default is a game that can be praised for taking the elements of a classic Final Fantasy title and install a brand new twist. The plot and characters feel like something straight from the SNES Final Fantasy titles with a more modern atmosphere and more fleshed out characters. Possibly one of the biggest selling point of this game is the gameplay which incorporates a simple yet innovated idea with bravely to allow characters to use multiple actions (so you can revive a character and then use cure to heal them all in one turn) and default which allows the characters to defend and stock up on BP (so you can use bravery without losing any turns). The music is another selling point though to be fair, Final Fantasy is known for its amazing music ever since its NES days and Bravely Default's music is nothing short to the greatness of past Final Fantasy titles. The game falls apart when voice acting and graphics comes into play. Though most of the main characters are good, some of the voice acting and dialogue for some of the characters are just unbearable or their voice feels mangled in some way. The graphics though charming feels weak compared to other 3DS titles. Despite its faults, I'd recommend Bravery Default to any RPG fan. Though Final Fantasy X is coming out on the Vita, the originality of Bravery Default, charms, and use of classic elements that were once common in the Final Fantasy series hold more value then the HD remake. Expand
  6. Dec 6, 2013
    I played through the whole japanese version of the game a while ago and it's a mediocre game masked in run-of-the-mill final fantasy combat. If you've played any final fantasy before this game doesn't have much to offer, just more the the same. It's not a horrible game just don't expect anything original.
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    In every battle there is a button asking you to spend real world money on in-game items like your playing some free Korean mmorpg. Why does no one else see this as a major issue? I already bought the game, but it still wants more of my money, this is a huge flaw for me.
    Other than that the game lives up to the hype, and is a must play for jrpg fans. The brave/default battle system works, but you do end up inputting a ton of commands for battles that take a couple seconds to execute, which only stands out because everything else is so streamlined. The story is good with dark and serious themes, but the light hearted overtone puts a limit on how emotionally attached you will become with the characters.
  8. Apr 1, 2015
    A flawed Master piece: Bravely Default is a wonderful game that has a great turned based battle structure that allows you to manipulate the flow of the game by speeding up or slowing down the random encounter of monster. The game also has an amazing hand drawn background with the 3DS graphics the game looks stunning and also has an interesting story line and ideas but seems to drop offA flawed Master piece: Bravely Default is a wonderful game that has a great turned based battle structure that allows you to manipulate the flow of the game by speeding up or slowing down the random encounter of monster. The game also has an amazing hand drawn background with the 3DS graphics the game looks stunning and also has an interesting story line and ideas but seems to drop off quickly. Around half way the game just story of stops and rewinds , which at first is very interesting, but the game literally makes you do the exact same thing over again. It would possibly be a 10 if it wasn't for the fact that the game literally just stops and makes you do everything over again, same posses, same levels, everything with a few different conversations thrown in. Everything else about the game is fantastic, Bravely is a wonderful hand drawn game with few major mistakes thrown in. Some people find these flaws too much and stop playing it. I guess this would be the same as the ending of Windwaker where you have to go find the 8 pieces at the end. It seems tacked on, it seems like a weak attempt to extend the game. This means that Bravely Default is a good game instead of a classic... Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2015
    When I first picked up the game and played through the first half of the story, I thought this would be an easy 9/10 review. It *almost* reminds me of the good ol' JRPG days, with great character building and tweaking (see FF job systems), and pretty decent story, too. But that all ended for me once I hit the half-way point of the story. I don't want to spoil anything but the second halfWhen I first picked up the game and played through the first half of the story, I thought this would be an easy 9/10 review. It *almost* reminds me of the good ol' JRPG days, with great character building and tweaking (see FF job systems), and pretty decent story, too. But that all ended for me once I hit the half-way point of the story. I don't want to spoil anything but the second half of the game is such an utter disappointment - incredibly repetitive with zero incentive to the story - to really keep plowing through. Bummer. Expand
  10. Apr 17, 2014
    Though this game is quite fun with great audio and visuals, halfway through it becomes a nightmare and it soils said fun/audio/visual. That halfway mark not only turns the already dull story into a festering wound of nonsensical stupidity, but it also turns all the good things about the game against you. Grinding is one thing, that's to be expected with rpgs, but the monotonousThough this game is quite fun with great audio and visuals, halfway through it becomes a nightmare and it soils said fun/audio/visual. That halfway mark not only turns the already dull story into a festering wound of nonsensical stupidity, but it also turns all the good things about the game against you. Grinding is one thing, that's to be expected with rpgs, but the monotonous repetition that it forces you into becomes too much to handle. There's actually 2 endings that people reference, the generally accepted ending (end of chapter 4) or the final end after the game goes downhill (end of chapter 8). And the most insulting part of it all. You can actually beat the hidden boss(and any other boss for that matter) in 1 single attack. So if you want a good game, stop at the end of chapter 4, it's only misery from then on. Expand
  11. May 16, 2014
    A great experience for about the first 12-15 hours or so, then it gets real boring real fast. The plot devolves into generic RPG fare, the characters start to get on your nerves, and the amount of backtracking put in place to pad out the game's length begins to rear its ugly head as well.

There's tons of innovative little stuff in the game like Norende and abilink, and the battle system (on normal difficulty) provides a nice puzzle at each of the boss fights, although most of the grunts can be taken care of in one turn.

If you don't mind doing a lot of grinding between long stretches of absolutely nothing happening in the plot, then you probably won't mind. If you're the type of player that enjoys leveling up all the job classes fully, then you'll find plenty of opportunity for just that.

But if you're looking for an interesting story told at a good pace to keep you engaged, you'll be a bit disappointed with BD.
  12. Dec 10, 2014
    While the art style and new interesting take on the battle system make "Bravley Default" stand out from other JRPG's, its gameplay mechanics still feel incredibly outdated by today's standards. While some fun can be found, the absence of a decent story and the inclusion of near terrible voice acting, makes me question if this game was really worth going through.
  13. May 1, 2014
    This game is really fantastic in a lot of ways, like its nice to look at artstyle, the lovable characters, the good combat system with a nice twist and a interesting story. But after playing it for 50+ hours I'm done with it completely before even getting close to the ending because of repetition being a part of the story.... There is nothing worse in video games than having to do the sameThis game is really fantastic in a lot of ways, like its nice to look at artstyle, the lovable characters, the good combat system with a nice twist and a interesting story. But after playing it for 50+ hours I'm done with it completely before even getting close to the ending because of repetition being a part of the story.... There is nothing worse in video games than having to do the same stuff over and over and over again but unfortunately this is what the player is doing for the majority of the game. The Street Pass is completely useless if you're living somewhere with no Bravely Default players around making a rather big part of the game unbeatable. At least everybody can adjust the difficulty depending on what the person wants from this game by making it either pathetically easy or a grind fest for the hardcore gamers with too much time at their hands. If you're looking for an engaging experience from beginning to end you'll be sorely disappointed. I can only recommend this game to people who don't mind seeing the same stuff over and over again. Expand
  14. May 2, 2014
    This game was fun. Maybe a little too easy on normal once you understand brave system and get some of the better jobs. Now I'm on chapter 5: yesterday's scenery and I'm like WTF. Why on earth would I want to fight almost all of the bosses in the game again 3 Times? I mean sure put that **** in the game for the people who WANT to do it, don't force everyone to do it just to get theThis game was fun. Maybe a little too easy on normal once you understand brave system and get some of the better jobs. Now I'm on chapter 5: yesterday's scenery and I'm like WTF. Why on earth would I want to fight almost all of the bosses in the game again 3 Times? I mean sure put that **** in the game for the people who WANT to do it, don't force everyone to do it just to get the cinematic ending. They really just took what is honestly a game that would take about 45-55 hours to complete and bumped it up to more like 65-75. The other problem is the latter parts of the first part of the game are way too **** easy so I didn't even do any random encounters in chapter 4 so now I'm all under level and the damn bosses only dish out JP in chapter 5. I know I could fix all this, but seriously I was expecting the ending to be badass like FF3 where you just level up a little, collect the best gear, and go own the crystal tower. I just feel a little ripped off, because I would have been excited to finish the game if they had made a proper ending, but now I'm thinking of just playing DQ 6 instead. Expand
  15. Jul 17, 2014
    I'm giving it 5/10, because the customizable battle system is absolutely wonderful and the graphics are great for 3DS, the streetpass town progression was a great idea, however it ceases being of any use after a few hours in the game, and that's really too bad.

However this is where it ends, the story is absolutely bare bones and the characters have zero charisma and the humor is abysmal and offensively dumb. A very disappointing game, if they re-use the battle system within a good game, I would love to tackle it. As it stands after about 8 hours of the game, I decided that it just was not worth my time.
  16. Feb 23, 2016
    As many said, this game is beautifully crafted, it is a new hope for turn based rpg, cool combat system, amazing bso, classes leveling... it lacks some exploration though. but the main problem for me is the second half of the game, instead of closing the narrative arch, or maybe just trying to swell the plot and explain the few important plot holes they decided to enlarge the life of theAs many said, this game is beautifully crafted, it is a new hope for turn based rpg, cool combat system, amazing bso, classes leveling... it lacks some exploration though. but the main problem for me is the second half of the game, instead of closing the narrative arch, or maybe just trying to swell the plot and explain the few important plot holes they decided to enlarge the life of the game by just repeating the main story with a few side quests, the worst thing is that the characters doesn't even try to do something about it they just do the same things until you complete all the bosses once again. It is obviously a lazy way to extend the game time, and it's annoying cause you just can't simply skip everything and go straight to the end, you have at least to re-kill the main bosses. Dude, i did it once, and it was hard, why do i have to do it all over again? did i do something wrong? why are you punishing me? that's not how a game should work, if i wanted to repeat the game i would simply restart the game and start all over again just for fun, but like this, it really looks like a punishment " Congratulations, you got to the end, but the bad guy won, so now YOU just have to do everything again, but harder this time" please no. Expand
  17. Mar 11, 2015
    the game is okay but it serves many problems in its story. there are quite some plot holes and the main characters are plain and one dimensional, they just dont get enough focus. only ringabel gets decent development but its mostly due to one of the bosses. in this game almost every single human boss is more interesting than the 4 mc ( which is specialy jarring due to Tiz, the playerthe game is okay but it serves many problems in its story. there are quite some plot holes and the main characters are plain and one dimensional, they just dont get enough focus. only ringabel gets decent development but its mostly due to one of the bosses. in this game almost every single human boss is more interesting than the 4 mc ( which is specialy jarring due to Tiz, the player character, being absolutley un-nessesary... if he was not there the story would be the same). the twist was not that great ... surprizing but shallow in the end because the main bad guy has no real motive for being evil ... it just is evil for the sake of being evil and not in an interesting way.
    the gameplay is great. its the only good reason why to play this game, its combat system is deep and strategy plays a bigger role than grinding. tons of choises and posible playstyles are there. however this is an rpg from the FF serie and when the gameplay is better than its story it somehow feels cheap. but whats more cheap is the fact that after ch.4 half of the game consists on backtracking and killing the same bosses over and over for no justifiable reason other than making the game longer... they didnt even bother to change their attack patterns so they become pushovers by the time you fight them again ... and again and again.
    summary: the combat system is great and an example of great turn based combar, but the story is bad and so are the character developments. i dont really consider it worthy of so much praise its been given
  18. Jan 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, you've heard it a million times, the battle system of Bravely Default is to die for. It's a very strong spin on an archaic but arguably timeless RPG system. Not only do you have the emblematic Brave and Default features, but you also have Special moves, which play a unique minute-and-a-half battle theme for each character and give them bonuses until that theme ends. There's also a feature that lets you pause time and fire out a single move at once. The game is also a low-key city-builder (or village-builder) that lets you rebuild a town that is destroyed at the beginning of the game, all the while providing you cool pluses for doing so.

On top of this, the art style of this game is wonderful and diverse. It's definitely a game you can play in 3D, at least as well as you can on the 3DS. You can see the grooves and the texture to the mountains and the buildings, which look hand-colored. There's profoundly amazing work on this game's art.

On the other hand, THE SECOND HALF IS AWFUL.

So, if it was better localized and the plot wasn't so vapid and repetitive, I'm sure I would like this game a lot more. Granted, I'm more on the casual end, but let's just say during the second half you might never want to play this game again. The ending is so convoluted and contrived. It makes Kingdom Hearts flip the damn table. (credit to Kingdom Hearts: at least they keep the whole story in one piece, and actually do it well).

The game spends the first four chapters exploring different sections of the world that are easy to digest and explore over time. They each have their own world to them, and at the end you fight a certain boss.

During the beginning of the second half, you have explored the entire map. You have to go back to each world and do a certain part of the story over again, then fight those certain bosses over again. Then, you do it again. And again. AND AGAIN.

Maybe I played it wrong by rushing through the game. But then again, why is there even a wrong way to play it? The moral of the game, and they tell you this at every critical moment so it's not quite a spoiler, is this: Always question things. The ending of this game did not answer many of the questions I had. Questions like, why do you want me to buy Bravely Second points with real-life money? Isn't that pointless if the game has an end? Isn't that actually a horrible game mechanic that ruins the experience? Also, if I am supposed to question things, why do you throw a cop-out ending at me when I finally break the chain and destroy a crystal? Furthermore on destroying crystals, why didn't you give me the option to do that from the very beginning? Why did you give me training wheels and cap it immediately upon "Stop! That's it!" then take that away later on? How was I supposed to catch on with that cap preventing me from doing it every time until it became practical to the game's development? Speaking of things from the very beginning, if you're going to give me a means of exploring the entire world at the very beginning, then why do you just throw cutscenes at me telling me to go back whenever I'm just exploring and having fun with your world? And why do you expect me to be satisfied with an ending that is freaking ridiculous as this one? The theme of worlds constantly eating one another like the Greek Ouroboros symbol is cool, just like the rest of the game's art, but the script doesn't add up even a little! So many things happen at once that don't even fit together well! The entire game is explained with random explosions of exposition, and then it's all just thrown at you at once at the very end over a VERY monotonous boss chain! And that fairy MUST have said something other than "Thanks for stopping my sister's evil plan" in the original Japanese game. That is such a cop-out line. Why does the messenger of hell have a sister? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?! And if Tiz actually died in the eruption at Norende and the only reason, why does Bravely Second feature him? Is this some other world? Because the way you made me fight THE SAME FOUR BOSSES FOUR TIMES IN A ROW WITHOUT A HINT OF DIFFERENCE MAKES ME NOT WANT TO EXPLORE ANY MORE **** WORLDS ANETRUIANEITUYAIUTENHRI

Sorry, sorry. I do really like the battle system of this game, and it drives it through a very cool game, up until the second half, which throws everything likeable about it out the window by making you fight the same bosses over and over again ad nauseum. I don't like that at all. It makes me profoundly frustrated just thinking about it because this game could've been so much better. This was supposed to be the game that would modernize this archaic genre and give it entirely new characteristics, like art and modern mechanics and 3D, and it just ruined so much inspiration at the end. At this point, "6" is a generous rating. You'd better be careful, game. Otherwise I might grow wings and start counting down to this review's Ouroboros-like destruction.
  19. Feb 8, 2016
    Almost a great game. If you stop playing at the end of Chapter 4, you've basically completed the game.
    The story is kind of dumb, the dialogue is terrible, the voice acting could be better, but the game itself? It's incredibly fun. Leveling up, getting new classes, learning skills and fighting bosses using the brave/default battle system is challenging and rewarding.
    But at the halfway
    But at the halfway point, you're asked to literally repeat the game's main goals. Then once more. And again. And you just want it all to stop. And all the challenge of fighting the same bosses becomes routine. Dull. Annoying. It's like being given a sports car on the condition that you only use it to deliver mail.

1. Apr 14, 2014
    It sounds like a lot, and it is, but not in an overwhelming way but in a fantastic, three in the morning, I can’t stop playing this game kind of way. When it all comes together and you destroy a boss that gave you troubles just a few job levels ago, it feels great.
  2. Apr 8, 2014
    It's got a lovely fresh coat of paint, but underneath that Bravely Default is the same old thing.
  3. Feb 16, 2014
    Bravely Deafult is the best game from Square-Enix in a long time and a must for fans of classic Final Fantasy. The battle and work system, as well as the history and the graphics is natural progresses of a gamemaking many deemed nostalgic.