• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Oct 9, 2012
7.5

1. Nov 8, 2012
    Do you remember Guardian Heroes from the DreamCast? Well, I sure do, and when I saw some trailers of Code of Princess, I was sure this was its spiritual successor. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
    First let me put the good points on the table. The graphic and the 3D for this game is really good. The music is a bit better than average and the JRPG feel and design is great, and I'm not talking about boobs here. The character designs is wonderful: you got booby princess, alibaba thief, zombie mage, rocker bard and even an Pharaoh cat shop keeper, PHARAOH CAT SHOP KEEPER!! you don't get more "Japan" than that. Our band of heroes are a bit cliche, but that doesn't remove any charm from them and the story is okay.
    However, the game start flattening when we go to the gameplay criteria, which is both repetitive and short. Here, we got the average arcade beat-em up style mixed with some JRPG elements, seems like a winning combination. But the battle system is poorly varied. Even counting the fact that you have an immense roster of character at your disposal (like 50), each of them have like 6 different attacks. While some character are more physical and others more into magic, you always end up using the same attacks over and over until your enemies are defeated. It becomes boring quickly unless you switch characters often, but you can't because if you do so, you'll have to start at level 1, so you have to go through all the story with the same character if you want to progress steadily. The story is nothing new, but is interesting the first time you go through. However, it's really short. If you stick with the Main character through all the game, you'll finish the story mode in about 2 or 3 hours, which is too short. They added some challenge missions which is mostly composed of mission you already did in the story mode, most with a twist to spice things up. The fact is, unless you re-explore the story mode with different characters, you'll put the game down after the first play-trough. It's a good game, but it's too short and repetitive to be worth 40$
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    Fun graphics and a good sense of humor, but this game has serious slowdown issues and lag with the controls, especially when 3D is enabled. Unfortunately, since it's an action-oriented title, this seriously detracts from the gameplay experience and it ends up being a button masher with no sense of connection with your character. I was really looking forward to this title, but reluctantlyFun graphics and a good sense of humor, but this game has serious slowdown issues and lag with the controls, especially when 3D is enabled. Unfortunately, since it's an action-oriented title, this seriously detracts from the gameplay experience and it ends up being a button masher with no sense of connection with your character. I was really looking forward to this title, but reluctantly have to admit that it fell far short of all my expectations. Might be worth picking up when it's eventually on sale for $10. Expand
  3. Aug 7, 2014
    Absolute trash. Voice acting is the worst I have ever heard. Story and characters are utterly atrocious. Gameplay is only fun for the first couple hours. Graphics and character animations are embarrassing. The turn animation was more fluid in the Castlevania games for the DS. Complete crap, start to finish. If you dig action/rpgs, go with Kingdom Hearts.

1. Dec 18, 2013
    Code of Princess plays like an old school game, but as a package manages to feel fresh due to its witty script, complete with sharp voice acting.
  2. Like Lady Zozo, its heart is in the right place, but its arms and legs are on backwards and inside out. Too monotonous to be entertaining.
  3. May 9, 2013