Heroes of Ruin 3DS

7.4

1. Feb 16, 2013
    Heroes of ruin is what I believe to be the first attempt at a hack slash RPG with online features (and voice chat) on a portable. On that merit alone, I give it a PERFECT 10! The online features of this game are near flawless, showcasing what I hope to be incorporated in MANY 3DS games in the future. This single aspect is amazing for what it is, and I feel it should be taken fullHeroes of ruin is what I believe to be the first attempt at a hack slash RPG with online features (and voice chat) on a portable. On that merit alone, I give it a PERFECT 10! The online features of this game are near flawless, showcasing what I hope to be incorporated in MANY 3DS games in the future. This single aspect is amazing for what it is, and I feel it should be taken full advantage of by a development team with a decent story writer, art designer and cast of voice actors. Now for the not so promising side of this game- The story, art design and voice acting. The story is bland and utterly generic, leaving me to question where I was when the story was written, as I could have filled that job slot and been more thorough. I think what was really lacking from the story in general was a disconnection/lack of personality from NPC's. Every mission left you doing mundane tasks for random people who never built a solid backbone to the story. I'd level up, get that better trinket, and go back to being a chore boy. It's the usual grind and typical to the genre, but this game had a way of just rubbing it in my face and stifling re-playability. The artwork was okay, remaining very generic to coincide with the story. Some muddy textures and framerate hiccups here and there, but I'm sure the online functionality eats up a sizable amount of CPU- Fair trade, to me. Voice acting was also mediocre, with soundbites very much overused in battle sequences and generic music to tie it all together. All in all, it was an utterly bland game, and that's VERY UNFORTUNATE! Technically, the online features were top notch and THE BEST to grace Nintendo's portables in the online/voice chat aspect. If anything, N-space deserves a pat on the back for this feature alone. They were the first to prove it can not only be done, but near flawless. We can only hope a worthy development team (or better writers and art designers at N-Space) gives this genre another shot now that N-Space has opened pandoras box on this system. All in all, if this is your first hack and slash experience, I say "Pick it up!". It's a good gateway into the genre, and will give you a general feel for what these games are about. If you're like me and have put some hours into diablo, I'd say "save your money". I would love to see this development team polish what they currently have and spend some time in the story/art department now that they have the architecture of the game built, but judging by its sales I'm being highly optimistic. Expand
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    Decent Diablo clone with a cheerful online. Played very well in the campaign, one point in playing the same no no. Another downside would refer to a small number of locations.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    Theres not a lot to this game, its essentially Diablo Lite. Playing online with friends and family has added a lot of the value to it for me though. Having voice chat on the 3DS is really great. Its too bad this is basically the only game that has that feature.

The game is fun while it lasts, has great online play, a forgettable story, repetitive gameplay, but is a lot of fun to kick back and waste some time with. For $15-20, I'd say it was worth the buy.
  4. Jul 13, 2013
    Flawed but I was happy to have bought and played it. A nice hack and slash diablo style game, it just fell down on having such short gameplay with no replayability other than playing a different character. They gave you weekly quests for you to earn enough currency to buy max level armor, but then gave nothing to do at max level with that gear! Very short sighted. I was very impressed thatFlawed but I was happy to have bought and played it. A nice hack and slash diablo style game, it just fell down on having such short gameplay with no replayability other than playing a different character. They gave you weekly quests for you to earn enough currency to buy max level armor, but then gave nothing to do at max level with that gear! Very short sighted. I was very impressed that a game on the 3DS had online voicechat with people who didn't even have to be on your friendslist, I did have some fun playing the stages online and chatting to people. Expand
  5. Mar 14, 2014

1. Mar 2, 2013
    Heroes of Ruin is an average game, with much better alternatives out there. The daily challenges are nothing compared to the daily and weekly puzzles found in the Professor Layton games and they do not work as planned. For 3DS owners looking for a game with a lengthy campaign with some form of online play included, there are games that are worthier of the money.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Even though it's an enjoyable game, it suffers from a weak challenge. It gets much too easy, much too fast. Finding new weapons is always fun, but some of the point disappears when you don't really need them.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    Pocket-sized Diablo is by far the best multiplayer game on 3DS. You can't do little Diablo any better than this. The watered-down difficulty level and few control related issues, like inventory, are the biggest downsides of the game. Other than that, Heroes of the Ruin is a fair example, that a PC-exclusive can be ported on the little device as well. [Sept 2012]