Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS

8.4

1. Aug 15, 2013
    The first thing you learn in Luigi's Mansion 2 is 'don't die'. Because dying means being sent back to the beginning of the mission and losing all your progress. You could be 20-30 minutes in then you die and have to do it all again. For me this led to a lack of motivation to complete the game and is the reason it took me quite along time to finish.

Having said that the game is very good

Having said that the game is very good and has a lot of charm. Luigi's mannerisms in this game are hilarious. The way he cowers and creeps about nervously or just the way he says 'hello?' is so amusing. The games mechanics are solid though combating ghosts is never as much fun as the exploring and puzzle solving aspects.

I spent around 19 hours with Luigi's Mansion 2 but never felt compelled to search for all the hidden items and bonus levels so it is quite along game which I enjoyed despite some niggles.
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    Luigi's Mansion has a great atmosphere and fun gameplay, but it gets repetitive after the first few hours. There are good attempts at trying to mix up the enemies that you face, but generally they're not really all that different. The puzzles can be complex and rewarding, but sometimes are too abstract or obscure for you to know what to do. I found myself looking up guides online afterLuigi's Mansion has a great atmosphere and fun gameplay, but it gets repetitive after the first few hours. There are good attempts at trying to mix up the enemies that you face, but generally they're not really all that different. The puzzles can be complex and rewarding, but sometimes are too abstract or obscure for you to know what to do. I found myself looking up guides online after being stuck for half an hour in the same room, only to find out that I had missed some detail that had me saying "How was I supposed to know that?". If you're mildly interested in the game, I recommend picking it up so that you can scratch that itch, but if you're not already convinced you'll love it, you're not missing much by passing it up. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    This is handhald, we need to be able to save often so we can jump in and out of the game. Without that it becomes unplayable, often. I can't pick it up for a quick 10-15 minutes like I need to with handhelds. This kills me. Absolutely kills me. This game is a easy 9 and a possible 10, but with a flaw that often makes it impossible to actually play, it falls such a huge margin, and I'mThis is handhald, we need to be able to save often so we can jump in and out of the game. Without that it becomes unplayable, often. I can't pick it up for a quick 10-15 minutes like I need to with handhelds. This kills me. Absolutely kills me. This game is a easy 9 and a possible 10, but with a flaw that often makes it impossible to actually play, it falls such a huge margin, and I'm forces to play nsmb2, and I'm so bored of that game. Nintendo, never, ever do this again with a handheld. This has the classic nintendo feel, and is completely unique (finally Nintendo, smarten up and make more of this). When I have the time to sit and play as long as I want, it's the most fun I've had on a handheld. Expand
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    Cute, charming game with lots of personality. Single player and multiplayer are both fun. Individual missions were annoying tho...wish they let you just explore the mansion as a whole. Also the professor interrupting constantly was super annoying too. Game is pretty challenging for a Nintendo game. Overall, a solid game.
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is mostly very enjoyable, with fun gameplay and a lot of secrets to collect and unlock. My only problem with the game is the mission-based structure, which can be annoying and lead to repetition. If you happen to die in on a mission, any progress you've made and any secrets you've discovered are wiped out. You can lose up to 40 minutes of collecting andLuigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is mostly very enjoyable, with fun gameplay and a lot of secrets to collect and unlock. My only problem with the game is the mission-based structure, which can be annoying and lead to repetition. If you happen to die in on a mission, any progress you've made and any secrets you've discovered are wiped out. You can lose up to 40 minutes of collecting and exploration if this happens. This is the one very annoying part of an otherwise pretty great game. Expand
  6. Oct 21, 2013
    Dark Moon is a fun game with unique puzzles and action gameplay. I wish Nintendo permitted more exploration with the mansions and didn't limit the gamer to individual missions. I play my 3ds in short spurts so I struggled to find time to complete a mission or a find a save point. The straight forward "combat" also holds this game back from being great.

Dark Moon is still a good game,

Dark Moon is still a good game, but contains a few areas of needed improvements.
  7. Apr 6, 2013
    This was a great game, but i missed some of the things that i loved from the first game. The mission based gameplay makes the game a lot easier to follow, i didn't get lost anywhere near as many times and in the original, but took a lot of the exploratory feel out of the game. You're still exploring, but you almost always have a direct destination in sight. Also the portrait ghosts wereThis was a great game, but i missed some of the things that i loved from the first game. The mission based gameplay makes the game a lot easier to follow, i didn't get lost anywhere near as many times and in the original, but took a lot of the exploratory feel out of the game. You're still exploring, but you almost always have a direct destination in sight. Also the portrait ghosts were gone, and a lot of the ghosts they replaced them with, despite having great amounts of character, were rather bland. But they fixed many issues with the first game too, its significantly longer, has good puzzles and any control issues i ever had with the first game are solved (mostly due to the "Strobulb"). My favorite part was the development of luigi's character in this one, after the original game i was hoping we would see his personality more. I love that little green mustachioed man, and i do love this game, but it does have its flaws. Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    It was fun, and the online multiplayer was excellent, but the story was much to straightforward, and required too little thinking, but the boo hunting was challenging. Also, there weren't enough boss type ghost
  9. Aug 26, 2013
    It is a pretty good game but it is brought down by its awful pacing and sometimes annoying puzzles which sometimes make it feel more like a point and click adventure.
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    The graphics are great, the basic gameplay is a solid idea (largely collecting/exploration with battle/capture interspersed), but there are a few failings that really stop this game from being as enjoyable as it could have been. I will preface this review by admitting that I have never played the first Luigi's Mansion. This really was not a problem in terms of following the story orThe graphics are great, the basic gameplay is a solid idea (largely collecting/exploration with battle/capture interspersed), but there are a few failings that really stop this game from being as enjoyable as it could have been. I will preface this review by admitting that I have never played the first Luigi's Mansion. This really was not a problem in terms of following the story or figuring out the gameplay, but perhaps lacking the nostalgia made me able to be a bit more critical of the game as a whole.

The lack of save points (automatic or manual) is likely to be frustrating for both younger and adult players, it leads to times you must replay the same mission a couple of times, which can be tedious, Additionally between missions Luigi is often summoned to and from the manor he is exploring to visit his mentor, when the player is returned to the manor it is back in the front hall, leaving you to navigate the same path back to where you had just been on your last mission,

The controls are not as fluid as they could be, Luigi's mobility can be really limiting when fighting certain enemies.

I did not enjoy this game as much as I expected to. It has charm and value, but I would not label it a "Must Have" game for the 3DS console.
  11. Feb 2, 2014
    I totally liked this game's graphics and 3D-effect. The game got many funny parts, which made me smile a lot.
    Gameplay is quite funny, too: You have to explore a bunch of mansions and to capture some boss ghost in each of one. Each mansion is splitted into some missions, which each take you closer to the boss ghost. This is something I don't like, because you cannot save the game while you are playing a mission, and at each mission's end, you'll see a mission complete screen, how much points you got etc. This ruins some of the game's normally great atmosphere.
    When I started playing it, I learned that you can upgrade your vacuum cleaner buy collecting coins. I really liked this idea, but was disappointed after a few hours, when I saw that I have already unlocked all possible upgrades. Additionally, you are not able to choose the order in which those upgrades unlock.
    So after I completed every mission, I put this game aside and not think of ever play it again. It has an extremely low replay value. I have to admit, that I didn't try the Multiplayer, though.

I will give this game a 6, because it was quite fun, beautiful and so on, but it just isn't worth the 45€ I spent for it, because I know I will never play it again.
  12. Jul 18, 2013
    Luigi takes the starring role in one of the best 3DS games yet. In this sequel, you explore through five mansions in order to find the pieces of the dark moon to restore order and make the ghosts peaceful again. What make Luigi’s Mansion 2 so unique and special are several things. First off are the hilarious cutscenes- they’re pure silly, but the slapstick comedy in them really made meLuigi takes the starring role in one of the best 3DS games yet. In this sequel, you explore through five mansions in order to find the pieces of the dark moon to restore order and make the ghosts peaceful again. What make Luigi’s Mansion 2 so unique and special are several things. First off are the hilarious cutscenes- they’re pure silly, but the slapstick comedy in them really made me laugh. Nintendo has put in a great amount of effort into making each cutscene funny, magical, and adorable. The 3D effect makes the cutscenes look even better, and spooky in a funny way. The graphics and sound also both excel in conveying the various moods very well. The graphics never fall below the very best standard. They are a treat.
    The gameplay consists of two main elements: battling ghosts with your fancy poltergust 5000 vacuum cleaner, and puzzle-solving. Both elements are very meticulously wound together to create an awesome, solid experience. Fighting ghosts involves first stunning them with your flashlight, then a battle to suck them into the hoover, a bit like fishing, just without the calm. It may sound odd, but when you start, you’re bound to get addicted. Along the way you’ll meet various types of ghosts with various personalities. This helps the game feel fresh and exciting.
    Then there’s the puzzle-solving. In the mansions, you’ll come across contraptions and puzzles that require you to think very carefully about how you use your flashlight and vacuum cleaner. It probably sounds like it gets old very quickly and the puzzles get repetitive, but they don’t. Some of the solutions are just ingenious. There’s another addition called the Darklight, which can find hidden objects (a bit like the lens of truth from Zelda).
    At the end of each mansion there is a boss that requires you to use both your flashlight and Poltergust in clever ways. The boss of the first mansion introduced a genius amount of puzzle-solving, so I was disappointed when the bosses later on didn’t and were simplistic and unmemorable.
    The story mode takes about fifteen hours to complete. And then there’s the multiplayer, which is local and online. There are so many modes, all of which are exciting. The aim is always to complete a floor in a mansion with your teammates and then progress. To complete the floor, you must do different things depending on the mode, for example hunt down all the ghosts in five minutes, or find all the hidden objects. You can specify the amount of floors in the mansion when selecting the settings, and also select the difficulty, and the mode. This extreme flexibility allows for even novices to be able to play. It holds up to four players. You can play online or local. You can play with friends or search for random groups. You can even play on your own. So many options, and so flexible.
    Without the online, Luigi’s Mansion would have been a great game. But with all the other options, it’s a masterful achievement.

1. May 31, 2013
    Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon is a stellar sequel to a forgettable classic. Nintendo has refined the formula and made it interesting to fans and even those that didn’t find the appeal behind the original. For those looking for the next great 3DS game, don’t sleep on Luigi’s latest.
  2. May 27, 2013
    If Next Level Games had opted to make Dark Moon more of an open-world experience, granting the player free will to poke around its gloomily graceful environments without continual check-in interruptions, it could have been equated to a minor masterpiece. But the game is still something of a small wonder.
  3. May 22, 2013
    Beautiful, fun, ingenious and unique.