6.8

1. Sep 16, 2014
    I hate this game. Absolutely despise it. Why? Because as a sequel, it falls on its face flat and is an embarrassment to the Mystery Dungeon series. When I played the first game, I loved it. Yes it had its flaws, and there were a few things that I wish they didn't do. The sequel Explorers of Sky/Darkness was twice the game Red/Blue was. Likable characters, Great character development, and a reason to love Grovyle for being one of the best allies you can ever get. Sky was even better, and the pinnacle of the series. They took Darkness and Sky, added a few things to it, and put in special episodes which was the cherry on top. I love Sky. I could go on and on about it, but thats not why I'm here. I'm here to give my thoughts on the abomination we know as Gates to Infinity.

I bought it as it was one of my favorite series. I had high hopes for it, but in the end, all were gone.

One.
    Character development was non existent. Your partner, and all of your other * ahem* "friends" had nothing to them. They never really changed or felt like you grew a bond to each other. Heck, at the times the game TRIED to make me feel sad when something happened with the main characters, i went "meh". simply because no one really developed a real character. I'll expand a bit more in point 3.

Two.
    The game was unrealistic emotional wise. Let me give an example. Remember in Sky when you return from the future and tell everyone Dusknoir was evil? No one believed you at first. Why? Because everyone saw him as an idol and held him in high regards. Had it not been for Corphish pointing out how strange it was on how Dusknoir grabbed you, they still wouldn't have believed you. THAT is a realistic reaction. Uncertainty brews in your mind due to it sounding so farfetched; even from someone who you've come to know and trust. GTI throws that out the window and makes everyone change on the dot. Play it again. See what I mean when they don't even think about it. All it takes is one little thing, and BAM. Everyone instantly changes their mind right on the spot. I guarantee that you'll see my point.

Three.
    The game was waaaaaayyyyy too rushed. Going back to point one, part of the problem with no character development was the fact that the game became too rushed. It forces you to progress through the game and get through it super fast. The previous 2 had done a good job of setting a good pace of game progress and character development. Why was it botched so badly in this game? There is NO excuse for this at all. You've done it correctly already, why change something that works?

And four.
    The music sucks balls. Compared to the previous two, the OST is terrible and its terrible without even comparing it to the other two. The first two had a really good soundtrack that I still go back and listen to on occasions. I've heard every track. There is not a single one I liked, cared for, or would even bother not touch again. Not. ONE.
    Well... what a mouthful. This game fails horribly at doing something its predecessors had done well in the past. One thing that really annoys me is how much potential the game had. The story line itself was changed, and honestly had it been done right, I would say this would be the next best Mystery Dungeon game. The premise of what I saw was really good and had a real good setup. Problem is, they botched it and botched it reeeeeeal hard. I lost interest in playing this game and had gone back to two other games in the midst of this and beat them. I only beat this game for the sake of beating it. I haven't touched it since. With the potential to be a good game, it had a couple other things I DID like. The multiplayer mission thing was a fantastic idea, and I did enjoy playing it with a friend. Sadly, that's the best part of the game. The other is the ability to get a building that lets you change the music of a dungeon. The ONLY reason to get this is because they used the best tracks from the past games, which was a good bit. But that is it. It fails as a good game, sequel, and ruins all hopes for replay ability. The ONLY reason it gets a 1 is because the multiplayer, the large potential the story had, and extra music. Which loses points because you still have to buy in a DLC. I am only keeping this game to say I have every Mystery Dungeon game. Honestly though, I'd prefer it if I could forget its existence. Like Paper Mario Sticker Star.
  2. Jul 16, 2014
    This instalment to the series is a lot like the predecessors, You're sent into the Pokémon world to save it from disaster alongside a partner Pokémon.

Although the visuals were great, and the story pulls you in to feel a part of it, there is a limited amount of choices you get throughout. You're only able to pick from five Pokémon to play as, and your partner will be one of the
    remaining four. (You also cannot pick the gender.) There is also only 144 Pokémon you can recruit to join your rescue team. The story was quite quick to play through and comes to a very abrupt ending where the only things you can do after completion is edit your 'Paradise,' (Your rescue team's base.) and complete missions from the bulletin boards.

Despite all the points mentioned above, I did thoroughly enjoy it and found it hard to put down. The story and skill level does seem a bit more watered down for a younger audience but it still provides some boss battles that were difficult. There is a new 'Companion mode' where you can play as a member of your rescue team on the side of the main story. This is a nice feature but also means if you're ever stuck on a boss or in a dungeon check point you can easily resolve it by using this feature as all retrieved items are sent to the deposit box for your main team to use.

It is great if you enjoy the previous Mystery Dungeon games, but if you are expecting a massive change or differences then you will be disappointed.
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    This game is absolutely fantastic. Like the other installments in the series, Gates takes you on a long, emotional journey that's easy to be immersed in and ultimately leaves you with a climactic ending and even a little teary eyed at the credits. Ryoma Nakamura, Keisuke Ito and Yasuhiro Kawagoe to a truly amazing job with the soundtrack, crafting a score between them that gets everything right, from the struggle of the final boss battle to the simple, memorable menu music. The graphics are fantastic on the 3DS, there are some great unexpected plot twists, and for (perhaps?) the first time in a Pokemon game (mini spoiler alert), we see a Pokemon directly murder another, introducing the theme of death in maybe the least subtle way yet. An incredibly enjoyable and an occasionally surprisingly mature story.

Not without its flaws, the major issues I have with the game are its limited scope (there are less than 150 different Pokemon in the game), the text speed, which can be frustratingly slow, and the game's oversimplification (no hunger, no item shortcut). Much smaller issues include a perhaps slow introduction to the game, being limited to one request at once, and a much too easy final boss battle (that really doesn't do the story and music justice). Despite these issues, the game still gets a convincing 9, as you never really notice too much repetition in Pokemon encounters, and you get used to the text speed pretty quickly.

Like the other Pokemon Mystery Dungeon installments, Gates might well be targeted towards six to eight year olds, but make no mistake - it doesn't matter whether you're 6 or 26 if you're willing to be immersed in a wonderful Pokemon fantasy story, you'll enjoy this game.
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    The game's great, it's useless to say anything else. In addition, it's one of the few games which begins after you finish it and you're never bored at all. Great, great great. Very good moves, buildings, deep story, Good End and of course, perfect visuals. By far the best mystery dungeon game ever played!
  5. PMG
    Feb 20, 2014
    I really like this game. For one the story has a huge twist that actually surprised me, and second this is not only one of the best loking pokemon games of all time, but also one the 3DS games that make the greatest use of the 3D. And the dungeon exploring was really fun. However there are a few things i don't like about this game. For one the fact that you can't speed up the text or skip cutscenes all together, make it a bit annoying when ever there is expesition, it tends to drag on. And second... ? I guess that is it. If your are a pokemon fan and like me like the pokemon spinoffs then this is a good game. Expand
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    This game is poor .
    Pros
    Good use of 3D
    Good interaction
    Cons
    Exactly the same storyline as it's predecessors .
    Way too much talking
    Repetitive
    If Your A Pokémon Fan go back to your gameboys and play Pokémon when it was actually good .
  7. Dec 21, 2013
    Okay so this is my first pokemon mystery dungeon game i ever played and for the first game i played i thought it was pretty good not the best but certainty not the worst just in between. the good the music is amazing! and the graphics look amazing it looks like something you could watch on tv! the bad theres 2 major problems i have with this game, these two could potentially ruin the game for anybody, 1 the dungeons. its cool that there randomly generated and all but every dungeon is the SAME!!!! every dungeon i have been in so far just consisted of corridors that lead me back to were i started or a place i have been theres nothing worth exploring these dungeons for! every corridor either leads you back were just was or they lead to empty rooms with nothing! its a complete waste of time!!!! i mean come on reward the player for exploring these dungeons! other wise all thats in these dungeons are enemies some items on the floor and a few stairs THATS IT!!!! its not fun!
    2. THE DIALOGUE!! characters talk for too long!!! SHUT UP ALREADY!!! it has tons and tons of unnecessary dialouge like if a character tells you to do something theirs a long dialogue scene and after you get the chance to move and go get the item you get stopped by another character right before you go to the dungeon!!! everybody talks too much they never shut up at one point i almost just quite the game because of this bottom line get your story across without boring the player out of his mind!

like i said its not the worst game i ever played, at times its actually quite fun but the two problems i listed is quite possibly game ruining things if your going to buy this prepare for long annoying and pointless dungeons and long and stupid dialogue scenes. also i forgot to mention the AI is pretty dumb at times and the dungeons will spawn a wonder pad i one room only to have another right in the next room beside it. its not the worst but not the best its okay. would i recommend buying it no i would rent it at least too bad the only thing you will get to see in the game is the dialogue before you return it.
  8. Nov 28, 2013
    None of the PMD games were good, this being no exception.

I just have to say that the story is absolutely ridiculous, overly long, and boring. During the few moments when I actually felt an interest in the plot, it's ruined within the minute by some ridiculous plot twist or extremely silly dialogue. The character dialogue stretches for painful hours, and there's no way to skip it. It
    doesn't help that the script is just pathetic, either. On the other hand, the visuals look quite nice, though the battle animations are lame and dungeon design is very much the same for all of them.

Pretty much the only part of the story I thought was cool was the beginning--up until the end of the demo. I thought the game looked rather promising after I finished the demo, but I was very wrong...

Sound is nothing special (the music does not appeal to me at all...), gameplay mechanics are not great, and the oh-so-painful dialogue scenes filled with ridiculous conversations and repetition and repetition and repetition. There's virtually nothing interesting to do after the main story, and I wouldn't be surprised to see people give up on the game before clearing it (due to the text speed).

Overall, not very good; only the nice 3D Pokemon models keeps this game from falling below mediocrity.

PRESENTATION: 5.5/10
    CORE GAME: 5/10
    VISUALS: 7/10
    AUDIO: 6/10
    GAMEPLAY: 5/10
    LASTING APPEAL: 4/10
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    I have fallen out of love with the Pokémon series in recent years but then I downloaded the demo of this game from the eShop. The story was great, and for me the game play was fantastic with much improvement from the GBA Pokémon Red Rescue Team. The demo was so good I bought the game the day after completing the demo. I do not want to give too much away but I would definitely recommend anyone to at least try the demo from the eShop as I would not want someone to buy the game if they do not like the game play. I have 67 hrs played on this game with the story complete but with much left to do. If you like this type of game play I could not recommend this game enough, however if you do not like the game play, no matter how good the story is you will not like the game and then you should not get it. In my opinion this is a great game that did not get great reviews but has a great story that has made me once again a fan of the Pokémon series. Expand
  10. Oct 1, 2013
    Very great storyline, and very interesting characters! The area looks much more real, especially when you compare it to the older versions of the Mystery Dungeon series. The art is very well done, but like many others, I have a complaint about the text speed. The text speed goes so slowly, that you don't even want to read the text, just pressing the A button just to finish it.

The game
    has a very tragic "ending", which actually put me in a very sad mood for a few hours, but later it becomes happier near the end. As far as the complexity of the game goes, this is actually a very simple game, and isn't hard at all.

After the complete plot finishes, the game is BORING. The game length is about 24 hours for the main plot, based on my gametime. But after everything ends, there's really no more goal, like pretty much every other game. All you do is just do requests, level up and expand your paradise. If you're a really dedicated person to completing things, this is the game for you, but for more mature gamers like me, this game gets boring, and without a plot and change in any part of the NPCs, this game is even more boring. Repetition of the dungeons is extremely boring, and when you face the same idea multiple times, such as defeating an opponent or something similar, you will feel bored as well. The game, like I said before, is very simple, so after the plot, when your Pokemon is strong, you don't see enemy Pokemon as a challenge, you see them as an annoying obstacle. For some reason, after the plot, you would feel inclined to play the game, hoping for something to happen, but nothing will, and you will have to repeat pretty much the same thing over and over again, with decreasing difficulty as your character grows in level.

While on the other hand, during the time which you will play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, it is really fun. I myself got very hooked to the game, and 4 days later with 24 hours of actual gameplay, I finished the game. The plot is very interesting, but in my opinion, is too short. Considering this game is for the younger audience, this game will be more complex and the plot will be "longer" for the younger audience. If you're a real teary person, the ending will get you bawling, yes, I mean bawling. It's the inevitability of the entire situation, and the fact you are defenseless to stop it makes you feel weird, anxious in some sort of way, although it is a game, and not true reality, but the fantasy that I, and many other people do is that Pokemon are real, and you are sad that your "time" in the Pokemon world has now ended.
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    Graphics and presentation were nice, but I couldn't help but feel the overall experience was a bit bare bones even compared to other mystery dungeon games. The overall impression the game left on me after a few hours was decidingly childish I'm sorry to say. I haven't finished the game yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I was not overly impressed with the game as a whole.
  12. Aug 17, 2013
    Although the game felt like downgrade from the previous installments. The Story-line was full of interesting plot twists, the graphics were excellent, and any fan of the series will enjoy the game.
  13. Aug 12, 2013
    This game is beyond fantastic. I enjoyed every minute from the beginning to the end. The plot was incredibly action-packed and I kept asking myself what was going to happen next. My only complaint about this game though are the extremely difficult boss fights.
  14. Jul 5, 2013
    I love the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. so when this title was announced, I was stoked. And when I got it, I played the best game in the Mystery Dungeon series, and even Pokémon overall. The story of the game is pretty lighthearted, and may have been aimed for kids, but I still found it enjoyable. this game's ending was also one of the few times where I cried at the ending. the gameplay is the same, but adds some new things to make gameplay faster. for example, instead of scrolling through menus to use moves, you can now just hold down the right trigger and press A,B,X,Y to use that respective move. it's tweaks to the gameplay like these that make the game much better. the graphics are really nice. they may just be my favorite graphics on any game. The music is really great. I found myself humming these tunes, and while some tracks are forgettable, I find this to be one of my favorite game soundtracks. but what I found to be the game's best part was, surprisingly, character development. I found myself caring for these characters, and was happy when they were, or sad when they were. I don't think I've cared much for characters like these since the Walking Dead: the game, and that's saying A LOT. Overall, Gates to Infinity is a worthy title to the 3DS library. the plot may be lighthearted, but the gameplay, while simple, is great, and combined with great music and character development, this makes it my personal favorite Pokémon title, and one you should definitely check out. Expand
  15. Jun 22, 2013
    Besides Text speed, the game is not that bad, and a decent simple battle style and nice mazes keep this for a good game. Buy it if you're a pokemon fan, soft rpg fan, or fans of cute pokemons and slow reading speeds. Don't buy this if you're looking for a hardcore deep rpg like Fire Emblem Awakening or Etrian Odyssey IV. The game has cute music and an average storyline..you know the recommendations, go for your taste!

Gameplay: 7/10
    Story: 7/10
    Music: 8.5/10
    Presentation: 6.5/10
    Length: 8/10
    Overall: 7/10
  16. Jun 5, 2013
    This game does get repetitive and the dialog sequences can't be skipped unless you count hold the B buttton. Its the same as any other mystery dungeon game and add a few new ideas. I bought for 30$ so im pretty satisfied with my purchase. I still have not been able too finish it because I got too bored after playing all those levels over and over.
  17. Jun 1, 2013
    Pokemon gates to infinity is a decent addition to the mystery dungeon series. It has a good plot and great character development, but the game was severely lacking in content. There aren't many pokemon to befriend, 144 pokemon from what i've heard, and I only spent about 21 hours on the main story. The game is great, but the lack of content leaves you wanting a longer experience, and the DLCs fail to deliver. Expand
  18. May 7, 2013
    My family has been playing Pokemon games from the very start. In fact we still own just about every game and duplicates of many. I like the Mystery Dungeon series. This game should not have been classified as a Mystery Dungeon it should have been classified as a beginning READER. I like to play video games on my 3DS, DS Lite, SP, GBA, and GBC but this "game" is more story and less game. It took me 1/2 an hour to get through one text section (I wasn't even reading just pressing the A button) and it doesn't allow you to go into Dungeons if you have an objective to fulfill (which is more story that you need to get through) Hopefully I will finish the game before I run out of patience pressing my A button. Expand
  19. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity Review.
    Ok so let's get started shall we...

This game by the name is another game from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series (Duh)
    Ok the story line...
    Yeah if you played the last PMD Games,you already know:

You are a Human
    You transformed in a Pokemon
    You meet your partner
    Save the Pokemon world
    You Dissapear
    and you come back....

When you start the game,you already know that you need to do a...Wait,o yeah there is no Quiz for choosing your Pokemon now,that's how i like it!,but already a problem there is only 5 Pokemon that you can choose at the start of the Game,YES 5!!,such a let down from the last title,last PMD game had more than 5,i think it had 10 or 15...

Also you already noticed that the Text goes incredibly slow,and there is no way to make it faster...
    anyways when you start the game off,you are probably notice improvements in graphics when you start the game off,This game looks Awsome,the dungeons just blew my eyeballs off...From pixelated dungeons this game if going in full 3D,and it looks incredible.The Pokemons now have full 3D Models and each of them looks incredible.

Also another thing is that now some dungeons have Hub Worlds,in there,some Enemy Pokemon are roaming around,if you touch the you enter a battle,talking about battles,if you played other PMD Games do you remember how painfull it was to go the menu choose your Pokemon and then the attack?,not anymore,simply press L and choose your attack,thank god.

There is no Hunger in the game in almost all the dungeons do,finally.And also the way of evolving Pokemon is different,the way you evolve pokemon in the game is by Leveling it up to a certain level or giving it a certain Item,exactly like a Main Game.

In this game,you are introduced to the Pokemon Paradise,where you can build up facilities in the game as more as you progress,You can also level up the paradise by obtaining Paradise Points that you get from clearing missions.

This games added a lot of awesome thing to the Mystery Dungeon Spin-off series,there are many new stuff that people that played the last PMD Games have noticed,I wish i could tell everything,but that's up to yourself...

But how about thing that i Didn't like about the game?
    First:The Aftergame could have been better,in the last game,the after game was really important do,but here is really short do,you can complete it a few hours after completing the main game overall.

Second:You migth already know it,is how many Pokemon you can choose at the start of the game,seriously 5?

Third:The Text is really slow,and yes it can be that bad.

Aaaand that's about it.
    Oh yeah this game also have DLC you can download,but i don't quiet thing is something you will waste your money for,there are just extra dungeons with certain stuff on them.
    Anyways guys,this game is overall a good game,the Music is awesome,the graphics are great,the Storyline like all PMD Game is sweet and finally is overall really fun to play in my opinion.BUT I quiet recommend this game to a Pokemon fan (Specialy younger fans),General Audience may fall sleeping playing this game,only fans like me,will have some certain enjoyment out of this game.

I will give this game an 8.5 out 10 stars.
    I Wish i could tell more but that's up to you when you get it.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    Great story, lots of work went into making the player feel the emotions of the characters in the game, i often found myself feeling similar emotions as a certain Quagsire in game (hmmm?) and often shed many tears of manliness at the story and situation throughout the game. only problem with the game is a relatively slow text speed but please don't let that discourage you from buying this amazing game! Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2013
    It was okay at best, but it was lacking in a few places. It really needed more starters and more playable pokemon, also why were bosses not playable?? Lastly, why did they not include the quiz thing to choose what kind of pokemon u r, i missed that! Not nearly as good as the other 2 mystery dungeons
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    I have to say, I was rather looking forward to this game when it was first being talked about. However, while there are some things that this game does better than its predecessors, there are a greater number of things that make it a worse game than the Explorers series.

First the Pros:
    ~No more quizes to determine who you play as. Now you can just pick who you want out of the
    starters.
    ~Beautiful Graphics
    ~Good storyline
    ~The ability to improve on your attacks in power, accuracy and PP based on usage and training
    ~TMs are reusable
    ~You can build your Paradise
    ~The ability to 'pause' the main story and play as a team made up of Pokemon that are not on your main team
    ~All members of your Team (not just the four that make up your party) level up so that no Pokemon is left weak

And now for the cons:
    ~Only 144 Pokemon that can join your Team, and the vast bulk of those are Gen V
    ~Only 5 Choosable Pokemon to pick as yourself and your partner
    ~All starting Pokemon (You and your partner) are all male. You are unable to choose your own gender or that or your partner
    ~Boss AI is not all that bright (though for some that could be a good thing)
    ~Not much after story following the main storyline
    ~Main storyline is rather short (Beat it in less than 20 hours)
    ~You have to pay for new dungeons via DLC, about $2 per new dungeon
    ~So far, there seems to be a vast lack of evolution items. Also, while your other party members are able to evolve, you and your partner cannot until after the main story, and no logical reason or explanation is given.

All in all, if you're looking for a quality PMD game, I highly recommend PMD: Explorers of Sky. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but for long-time fans of the series, this latest game is a letdown. However, those who have never played a PMD game will find this enjoyable and a good way to get into the series.
  23. Apr 14, 2013
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is a Nintendo 3DS sequel to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky on the Nintendo DS. Is this game superior to its sequel? Well, Its hard to say. The positive changes that greatly improve this sequel are just as numerous as the negative changes that make the game worse than the prequels prior to this entry in this spin-off series.

First off, lets start with the negatives. Pokemon is a series which is based around collecting as much monsters as possible, with there being well over 600 different kinds as of now, it seems like a poor choice to limit the amount of Pokemon in the game to less than 150. I understand however that making 3D models and animations for each model for all the Pokemon that exist as of now and the environments would take quite a bit of time and eat a large amount of space on the game card so I understand why the Pokemon list is as limited as it is, but it leads me to question why they strayed away from sprites which take up far less memory in comparison. Another problem is the story. No, not the writing itself, but the length of it overall. Gates to Infinity is about a quarter of the length of the prequel trio Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, further proving my point of shortness, the post-story scenario consists of only one dungeon, which is less than 15 floors in length, when compared to the lengthy post-story scenario at the end of Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky it feels extremely disappointing. I'd assume that the 3D models taking up too much space also explains the lack of length in the story and post-story. Something else that is bothersome about this game is how slow it is, for example: this game is text heavy, yet there is no options to speed text up, I assume this is to make people pay more attention to the story, but it gets irritating that the slow moving text can make some cutscenes last up to nearly 20 minutes or longer when it could have been done in 5 minutes with faster text scrolling. Another example of slowness is only being able to do one mission at a time, in prequels you could do multiple missions if they where all in the same dungeon, not in this sequel, this makes progressing in the game slower and more tedious. If you are the person who enjoys challenging games, you will be disappointed to learn that hunger, monster houses and other game mechanics that made the game harder are limited or altered greatly to make this game much easier to appeal to a more younger/casual market. Last but not least in regards to negatives, dungeon rescues are done by Streetpass only, they can no longer be done through passwords or Wifi services, so if you live in low populated areas and/or areas where Pokemon isn't very popular, don't expect to be rescued.

With the negatives out of the way, lets take a look at the positive aspects of the game. The story is greatly written (despite being extremely short) and most of the characters you meet over the course of the plot are strongly developed making the story quite engaging, though you could make the argument that the side characters can be overdeveloped and hog the spotlight. The story barely even focuses on you (the main character) at all until near the end of the story which is an odd design choice but not a major issue. The music is beautiful like usual and is a treat to listen to. An interesting new feature is the ability to design a village around your house named "Paradise" where you can visit Pokemon you have recruited that are not in use in a party and build facilities like lottery centers, stores, gardens, dojos and mini-game booths among other things with the ability to upgrade and customize them in different ways. Another feature is that you now have two parties, one which is the "story" party that contains your starter, partner and two others, that have full access to everything but wireless multiplayer. The "Companion" party on the other hand consists of any four Pokemon that you have recruited and can be used in wireless multiplayer missions or single player missions but can't access the Town or any events or locations that effect the story. Most of the game mechanics are modified (for better or worse is for you to decide) that makes the game in certain aspects much more simplistic and easier to understand (but at the cost of much lower difficulty). Some of the game mechanic changes include: Instead of Move-Linking combos, you can now Level Up individual attacks to give higher Power, PP and Accuracy. Instead of character specific IQ Abilities, you now have Team Skills that affect the entire party. Another interesting addition is you even get a Team Attack skill that works similarly to a "Team Blast" from Sonic Heroes or "Final Smash" from Smash Bros. that can be used in a bad situation to save yourself. There is also DLC content.

In conclusion, in my opinion its not as good as Explorers of Sky, but that isn't to say its bad game, its an average game overall.
  24. Apr 11, 2013
    Okay, I've completed the game. And let me just say, the story is the best out of the entire series. Sure, the final battle trolls you at first (You can't do anything). But after that, it just feels so satisfying to literally punch it in the face. In the FACE! Anyway, the music. Dare I say, this game has one of the best soundtracks in video game history. Ragged Mountain was phenomenal for the FIRST DUNGEON, End of the Road Alternate Arrangement 1 was a great remix of the original, Great Spire was epic and tells you that you're near the end, and that... that ENDING!! I'm not going to go into full detail, but let me just say this. That ending is one of, if not the most emotional moment in gaming history. All this bumps my rating up to a ten. By far, one of, if not my favorite game ever. Expand
  25. Apr 8, 2013
    PMD: Gates to Infinity is kind of a mixed bag. On one side, the graphics are actually very nice; the scenery is engaging and the pokemon themselves are charmingly handled as well. The magnegate idea to generate new dungeons is a nice touch, and there are tons and tons of items to play with.
    On the other side of things, the aforementioned magnegate is impossible to properly utilize because
    of how weak the actual mystery dungeon aspect is. The dungeons are randomly generated, but obviously cobbled together from pre-determined chunks, and you'll become all too familiar with them after playing each map a couple of times. The low degree of randomization means that its far too easy to prepare for every eventuality with just a few items, because there's only a few that may challenge you (and the game openly tells you how to deal with them). Though the plot is well-writen and charming enough, the dialogue is miserable even for the standard of a younger audience. I think it can be best summed up with the phrase "you can't just have characters say what they're feeling; that makes me feel angry."

In spite of its flaws, it is wickedly addicting. Recommend to pokemaniacs, or as an introduction into dungeon crawls, but not many others.
  26. Apr 6, 2013
    Beautiful game.

It looked great, and played very well for a roguelike RPG. The story was engaging, the music was fantastic, the characters were likable, and the environment was just purely whimsical.

But that alone isn't what inclined me to rate the game like I did. But rather, because of the new things that were added to the game. Things like Paradise, a concept I wasn't entirely
    sure about at first until I learned of its full implications. You can manage it, clear it into different types of land, and build on as you see fit. You can upgrade shops, play minigames, train moves or farm berries and seeds. There are special shops that give you information in dungeons, and some that let you take part in draws with prize tickets similarly to how you can in Spinda Cafe in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. It adds incentive to go exploring for materials long after the game finishes to give you a goal beyond simply "recruiting them all" and leveling everyone to level 100.

As for the story, while usually Mystery Dungeon games usually have their fair share of clichés (But still are pretty impactful.), this installment has a very low quantity of them in comparison. Also the story is filled with emotion, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it also becomes surprisingly involving if you let yourself sink into the viewpoint of your character. The character development was well done and made many Pokemon really quite likable. (I even found myself liking Pokemon that I had never previously cared for.) The story actually may surprise you in more than one way.

The music is upbeat for the most part, and very well done. It definitely adds to the environment and the story as it goes on. This will become especially evident closer to the end of the game. Some remixes of some older Pokemon Mystery Dungeon tracks also made it in there. (A good example being the mission complete music, which has a whimsical twist in it.)

There are only a few complaints I really have with this game. One of them is the length of the game. It was much shorter than previous Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, and the post-game was incredibly short compared to the post-game arcs. Two is the Pokemon count, it was pretty small compared to Explorers of Sky or even Red Rescue Team. And finally, the mechanics that were removed or added to make the game easier disappointed me. Things like how Pokemon get experience even when they aren't exploring, or the removal of hunger.

Overall though, fantastic game. If you liked the previous games, you should totally pick this up. Also, if a Pokemon roguelike sounds appealing to you, this is a perfect place to hop on.
  27. Apr 5, 2013
    Overall, a pretty good game, maybe NOT the BEST Mystery Dungeon game (I preferred Explores of Sky/ Time/ Darkness) but it offered a lot of gameplay that was new and welcome to the series. Graphically, the game looks very nice, with polished Pokemon. the game is very text heavy, there is a lot of talking between gameplay, and the only other flaw is the lack of recruit-able Pokemon. The game itself is very fun and is a good addition to the series Expand
  28. Apr 2, 2013
    RATING: 8.5/10 I just finished the main game. GOOD: Absolutely gorgeous appearance/graphics. The dungeons are no longer little pieces of tile that all look the same. The models for the pokemon are fantastic, and the overworld is stunning. The 3D looks great here too. One of the best, if not the best, looking title on the 3DS IMO. Story and characters are as good as always! Story dragged on a bit here and there, and more kid-orientated than the previous, but it caters to everyone pretty well and the ending definitely made up for it. It's another tear-jerker. Music, although not the same rhythm-based, catchy tunes of the previous games, is gorgeous as well. The soundfonts blew my mind when comparing it to the old games, and there were some really, really nice tunes in there. NEUTRAL: Dungeon difficulty was lower than in past games. There wasn't really a difficulty curve, and the largest dungeon main-game is about 12 floors, a far cry from the 30+ floors of Blue/Red and Time/Darkness/Sky. The view for the screen is a bit more narrow and claustrophobic than the other games, but you'll get used to it. (Note, this does not necessarily apply to post game. I haven't played it yet). Main story is shorter than the previous two. BAD: Pokemon selection is limited. Long cutscenes (can get to be over 10 minutes long near the end), combined with slow text speed can cause the game to be a bit tedious at points (I want to dungeon, not sit here and read). Not being able to take more than one job request at once. OTHER: I haven't had time to check out the Magnagate dungeons. I haven't played any post-game. It appears as if there will be a lot, though, so I'll update it when I do. OVERALL: Very good and fun game. Although it's more kid-orientated, including less difficult dungeons, the story is as good as ever, the characters fun, beautiful music, and some of the best visuals I've seen on a 3DS to date. TOTAL UP TO NOW: 8.5/10 Expand
  29. Apr 1, 2013
    Disappointing.
    Content, challenge and variety has been sacrificed for graphics. There are only 144 recruitable Pokemon and there are only five choices for the main character. Most earlier generation Pokemon do not even exist in this game. The target audience is clearly younger than before: the story is simpler and nowhere near as dark as the previous games. Gets boring quickly, and the
    tediously slow text speed certainly doesn't help.

I wouldn't recommended this to anyone above the age of ten.
  30. Mar 30, 2013
    This is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, for many reasons. Its detailed environments and complex dungeons left me in awe, and the difficulty of the game kept me playing frequently. Like most Pokemon games, it has a creative story that is expansive and surprising. The thing that is, in my opinion, the best thing about it is that you can pick your Pokemon yourself and not have to take a quiz to decide it like in the other Mystery Dungeon games. The game does have one fatal flaw, Though: its extensive dialogue. Each NPC talks for 15 minutes at a time, and there were times I would scream at my DS to just get it over with. Expand
  31. Mar 27, 2013
    If you keep in mind that the target audience is kids, this game is awesome. The graphics are beautiful. The story is really cute, and the characters are attaching. The gameplay is fun and addictive. I have to agree with the other reviews, the text speed is a negative point,
  32. Mar 27, 2013
    Being a game targeted to a young audience Nintendo should have put on the brakes on having to pay for extra content. This only proves that going digital will be a curse on gamers young and old alike cause publishers like Activision will take advantage.
  33. Mar 25, 2013
    This game has vibrant 3D Graphics and detailed enviroments.
  34. Mar 25, 2013
    Once again, the Mystery dungeon games have impressed me and have given me another extraordinary experience that few other games manage to offer. For starters, yes, the story is as fun and involving as the first two titles and you once again care deeply about the characters around you, you actually care about your buddy and want to help him achieve his goal in the story, and with how many games nowadays treat in-game characters, that's a rather difficult feat it seems.
    It should also be noted that this is probably one of the best looking titles on the 3ds thus far, which greatly helps in the atmosphere. The game DOES has a few problems however, their are few Pokemon to choose from now, and the dungeons are still a tad cramped and lack variety, but it never detracts from the overall experience. Gates to Infinity is by far one of the best titles on the 3DS, and dare I say, one of the overall best Pokemon games out there.
  35. Mar 25, 2013
    Probably my favorite game out of the entire Mystery Dungeon series so far. The only disadvantage I have about the game is how tedious the text speed can be. So far, this game seems to be the most simplistic out of the other games in the series. Sometimes, I still want a challenge out of each dungeon. Once you have played further into the game, it seems like from my experience that it is still very enjoyable and casual to play. Expand
  36. Mar 24, 2013
    I have not finished the game but what I have played it is definitely the best in the series and the story is very well written, even though it's targeted towards children it does well capturing your attention. Graphics-wise, it's one of the best 3ds games I've seen and looks great. The only thing unchanged is the actual combat, its pretty much what you are used to and nintendo got rid of a couple of pointless features from the past mystery dungeon games. There isn't much of a challenge to the game and the dungeons are very alike but the pro's make up for the con's and if you're a pokemon fan yous should enjoy this game. Expand
  37. Mar 24, 2013
    So far this games has one big disadvantage, Text speed. Aside from that I'm really enjoying this game (mostly in a nostalgic kind of way). It doesn't feel as epic yet in terms of plot as the first game and it's not secret that the target audience is children. But if you can see past that it has mostly the same mechanics (with the addition of move leveling and hunger is changed to only effect specific dungeons) and really makes an attempt to enforce positive morals like how others should be treated and not giving up. For this reason I strongly recommend this game for children, but if you enjoy the series then give it a try. Collapse
  38. Mar 24, 2013

1. Sep 16, 2013
    Building the paradise up is so motivating, that you beat the dungeons over and over again, even though they are repetitive.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    Unless you must play every Pokemon title you’re probably better off simply waiting for the release of X and Y later in the year.
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    If you like to read your way through a game this is something for you. If you don't this could be an agonising adventure. It is a cute game to keep you busy till Pokémon X and Y come into view.