Rayman Origins 3DS

6.3

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Having not played any other version of this game, I can't comment on actual comparisons. I can, however, judge it for what it is: a fun 2-d platformer with slightly slow-framed action.

The characters and setting are reminiscent of 1990's Cartoon Network, with exaggerated, slapstick animation. This gives the gameplay a sort of graphical dynamism that is unfortunately dampened by some issues. First, there's the aforementioned frame rate slowness, which sadly goes directly against the main strenght of this sort of animation. Secondly, the plethora of constant, overlong achievement scenes are unskippable which is extra aggravating when some of them last for tens of seconds.

If you get past these problems, however, there is a fair amount of good time to be had. The level design is very good, and there are some truly amazing tunes in the soundtrack. Overall, Rayman Origins is a decent pasttime for your 3DS especially if, like me, you purchase it for the eShop discounted price.
  2. Mar 18, 2016
    Yeah its the same game as on the home consoles. No, it's not as good as all the other versions.

Ultimately this version of the game runs well, plays well, and isn't a complete waste of money (if you get it cheaper than full price anyway). If you have no other options for playing it, then this is a passable effort that you may well enjoy. Where it fails completely is in the graphics.

Where it fails completely is in the graphics. The 3D effect is nice, and adds a subtle depth to the game. The graphics though are so poor it's hard to imagine the previous generation DS consoles struggling to reproduce it. For a game produced by "UbiArt" that on home consoles had some gorgeous hand-drawn images, this is a massive disappointment. Blockly, blurry, ill-defined.

It's a terrible shame, because otherwise this game is solid and deserves to be played - but compared to the high resolution and crisp quality of all home versions, this one just needed some more work to live up to the quality of the other versions.
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    This Version make you feel like a long jump into a obscure abyss, the others versions of this wonderful platformer are incredible, i had mixed feelings when i played, enjoyed the gameplay but couldn't forget about how good this can looks in the others consoles, minus to Ubisoft for release this unfinished and downgrade version.
  4. Jun 5, 2014
    Ladies and gentlemen, the boys and the girls, this game is not suit for your grandma to play, unless your grandma is really an expert. However! Don't misunderstand what i say, the game is not so difficult for us, the young generation. I know someone may say 'Oh my guard! Wat is wrong With The SizE!" What do you expect from a 3.5 inches screen brother and sister -_- I play this game on myLadies and gentlemen, the boys and the girls, this game is not suit for your grandma to play, unless your grandma is really an expert. However! Don't misunderstand what i say, the game is not so difficult for us, the young generation. I know someone may say 'Oh my guard! Wat is wrong With The SizE!" What do you expect from a 3.5 inches screen brother and sister -_- I play this game on my nokia old phone N-Gage , in this more smaller screen maybe you guys can search for nokia n-gage screen size... You may feel terrible rayman size , but i feel 'Oh DEER! OH MY GUARD !!! THIS GAME IS GOD! FREAKING GOOD!" I even play worm on that smaller screen phone than 3ds , but i never complain , your eyes will used to it within a few minutes.... We human sensory system mostly used to compare the differences , so when you zoom out the gameplay on your big big monitor screen find the game terrible tiny , but when you play on 3ds ... HEHEHEHE YOU NOE WAT I MEAN! Nothing bad in the game.. Really good for me, but ps1 is best, because ps1 bring the first surprise to me..... Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2015
    One of the best games of 2012 on a handheld? Sounds pretty good. Buuuuut we are playing this game on the 3ds. The sound files are horribly compressed along with the visuals. The rest of the game is pretty good and they have adapted the game to suit the circle pad. But since the two issues make up a big part of the experience this port ain't to good.
  6. Jun 14, 2012
    The 3DS version seems like it's almost directly taken from the home console versions, which isn't surprising, but other than being 3D, and having a bottom screen, there's really no difference. I'm still going to give it an 8 because it's a great game in it's own right, they just could 've added a few extra things for the 3DS. On the PlayStation Vita they added the feature of being able toThe 3DS version seems like it's almost directly taken from the home console versions, which isn't surprising, but other than being 3D, and having a bottom screen, there's really no difference. I'm still going to give it an 8 because it's a great game in it's own right, they just could 've added a few extra things for the 3DS. On the PlayStation Vita they added the feature of being able to touch enemies to pop them once they have been bubbleized. This may sound like a small feature, but it's things like this that define it for the console you're playing it on. Collapse

1. Nov 20, 2012
    Rayman Origins is a unique, well designed platformer with loads of personality that simply doesn't feel right on the 3DS.
  2. Jun 27, 2012
    If you haven't yet enjoyed Rayman Origin and you want to do it on your 3DS anywhere you are, this is better than nothing, as the game is already a classic. But this adaptation is a bit disappointing technical wise.
  3. Nintendo Gamer
    Jun 20, 2012
    A port that's slower, blurrier, and missing multiplayer, but for all that it's still the 3DS' best non-Mario platformer. Beautiful, fluid and packed with value. [July 2012, p.97]